Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 04:47:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Tribe sets lakebed fishing levy

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tribe sets lakebed fishing levy  (Read 191 times)
guest49
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:24:23 am »

Commercial eel fishermen are labelling a plan by South Island tribe Ngai Tahu to collect a percentage of their earnings an "iwi tax" and warn that it sets a precedent.

Ngai Tahu's new "conservation" levy is being described by Lake Ellesmere fishermen as the forerunner to a nationwide "iwi tax" system.

Mr Solomon said DOC supported the permit system and appreciated that money raised would go directly to lake projects, including riparian planting, lake monitoring, research projects and enhancement of the fishery.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2003271/Tribe-sets-lakebed-fishing-levy
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dragontamer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 06:21:13 am »

Ewwwww - who would want to eat anything out of Ellesmere.  That's disgusting.

On top of that, if Ngai Tahu are claiming traditional rights; well, I know a Tuhoe who claims his traditional rights include those of invasion, pillage and all that old traditional stuff.........
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 06:42:02 am »

Hahahaha now thats bloody typical -

Many are simply determined to see all fishing eliminated in the next 15 years - so be it!
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:20:41 am »

Conservation !  I hope the laugh police aren't in this thread..    I wasn't aware these part pakeha people knew about fishing limits or conservation but they sure as hell know how to try and milk a dollar. 
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 08:22:15 am »

Obviously you too are a part of the failed NZ education system then.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 08:39:33 am »

I had a very good all round education thank you Lovelee which I care to believe is an ongoing process.    I am sick to death of this country being divided unnecessarily and some of us having to pay for something that should have been the problem of the crown a long time ago.       I know many Maori people who feel exactly the same as I do.  They are not activist, they are not radical.  They get nothing filtered down to them and have no more priviledge than I do.  That is reserved for a few.   They are proud New Zealanders who earn a living and the right to live here just the same as we do.     How many full blood Maori do you know?   I know a lot who call themselves part Maori.  Well if they are part Maori what is the other part?  Why is that of no significance at all?   I think it is of equal importance because that is part of a persons culture too and needs to be addressed.           Obviously this is a sensitive subject.
Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 11:59:07 am »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 01:41:57 pm »

I had a very good all round education thank you Lovelee which I care to believe is an ongoing process.   

In that case you will know that Lake Ellesmere covers an area of 180 km˛, and that the commercial eelers are removing 122 tonnes of eels pa.

Sustainable??

I dont think it is.

Lakes and harbours around NZ are finally going to be cared for as they should have been for the last 150 yrs.  Its begun happening elsewhere also - several bays and harbours have had total rahui placed on them, in the name of conservation.

There is no one race of people in NZ who overfish more than others, we are all guilty of it (and that isnt individually).  Now we have many being trained in fisheries/conservation and environment and they will be the ones who ensure that my great grandchildren can still go to a beach or wharf and catch a feed.

Your other comments have been bashed to death in this group so many times - they are boring.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: