Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 05:21:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Doing it in Queenstown

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doing it in Queenstown  (Read 4515 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2014, 01:49:49 am »

Queenstown links to resignation of Justice Minister
Aug 2014

An inquiry into Judith Collins' downfall is poised to investigate links between former Hanover boss Mark Hotchin and right-wing bloggers who waged a smear campaign against ex-Serious Fraud Office chief executive Adam Feeley, The New Zealand Herald reports.

The top-level investigation is set to drag in numerous prominent New Zealanders.

They include Auckland-based Frankton Flats property developer Tony Gapes, Shareholders' Association founder and former Financial Markets Authority (FMA) member Bruce Sheppard, high-profile lobbyist and PR agent Carrick Graham and Cameron "Whaleoil" Slater.

Collins resigned yesterday as Justice Minister after a leaked email from Slater claimed she had been "gunning" for Feeley while she was minister in charge of the SFO.

Feeley is now chief executive of the Queenstown Lakes District Council.

Collins will remain as MP for Papakura and is set to stand in the general election.

Further emails, expected to be released today, are believed to show Graham - who was at one time employed by Hotchin - and another right-wing blogger, Cathy Odgers, alias Cactus Kate, were behind attacks on Feeley.

As former managing director of Hanover Finance, Hotchin was at the time under investigation from the SFO and FMA for his role in the failure of Hanover in 2008.

About 16,000 people with investments totalling more than $500million lost most of their money following the failure of Hanover and related companies and the sale of assets to Allied Farmers.

Correspondence obtained by hackers who targeted the Whaleoil site showed Slater and Odgers were working together with Graham to attack Feeley while he was responsible for investigating Hanover Finance.

The email released yesterday set out plans to discredit Feeley and was sent to a "Mark".

Several sources claim that was Hotchin.

It was also sent to a "Carrick" - Carrick Graham who was representing Hotchin at the time.

Collins denied any knowledge of the smear campaign, instead claiming she had been the victim, but was forced to resign after a series of controversies just three weeks out from the general election.

Slater wrote a series of highly critical blogs about Feeley in late 2011.

They covered allegations that could have damaged Feeley's reputation in the eyes of the public.

On October 7, 2011, he wrote a series of blogs titled "Staff Issues at the SFO".

One had claimed 23 staff had left the department at that time during his tenure.

Slater had written: "What sort of cowboy culture has been bred by Five Fingers Feeley at the Serious Fraud Office?"

It is understood emails to be released will show pressure was exerted on the SFO and the FMA to close their investigations into Hanover.

Odgers was a figure in the Dirty Politics book and last week her Hong Kong-based employer Jeeves Group confirmed she was no longer a consultant for them "by mutual consent".

It is understood that decision was linked to emails being released by the hacker today, which are expected to show the bloggers were being paid to discredit Feeley.

Slater says he "embellished" references to Collins in the damning leaked email that led to her resignation as a minister.

Last night Slater revealed he would lay a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner over Prime Minister John Key releasing the email that led to Collins' resignation.

He claimed Key had "breached my privacy", a charge he also aimed at Dirty Politics' author Nicky Hager.

Graham said he would not comment.

"I don't discuss who my clients are or the work I do for them. Facilitate is a private company and that's all there is to it."

In a statement last night State Services Commissioner Iain Rennie said he was "extremely concerned" at the suggestion that Collins had undermined Feeley.

"It is important that chief executives and ministers mutually support each other to carry out their respective roles.

"I am therefore extremely concerned by an allegation that a minister has associated with third parties to discuss influencing my assessment of a Public Service chief executive. If true, this would be wholly unacceptable."

Gapes, a former close friend of Hotchin, was also among the victims of the smear campaign.

Gapes was shocked to find he was fingered in a smear campaign to undermine his credibility as a potential witness against the troubled Hanover company. "A lot of it is all falling into place now," said the Auckland developer.

Gapes said he went from being a developer with a low media profile to suddenly appearing in a constant stream of negative stories.

"It was obvious I was someone Hotchin was worried about when he was being investigated by the SFO," said Gapes.

Sheppard last night said emails between Graham and Slater revealed plans to deliberately target him.

The emails were sent at the same time as the former Shareholders' Association president was involved in defamation against Hotchin and fellow Hanover boss Eric Watson.

One of Collins' most relentless opponents, Joe Karam, says the country is better off with her out of Cabinet.

"May she be long banished to the backbenches," Karam said.

The SFO did not gain enough evidence to prosecute anyone associated with Hanover.

Hotchin and five others, including Watson, will face a High Court trial next year after they pleaded not guilty to civil charges brought by the FMA.

Good, bad and murky views

Opinion was split in Papakura when the Herald on Sunday visited the electorate shortly after Judith Collins' resignation was announced.

"I'm very upset about it, actually, because she's such a good minister," said John Smith.

Christine Baty was also unshaken in her support for the embattled MP. "We need somebody stirring and feisty," she said.

"She's in your face. I like having somebody like that there."

But Sanjay Arora said her resignation was "about time".

"She should have been sacked earlier. I don't know why John Key took so much time."

Rita Rai said she voted for Collins at the last election but would not do so again.

"Things have been a little too murky."

The Dirty Politics scandal has tarnished Collins in Danny Cairns' view.

"When she first started I actually thought she was quite good, even though I didn't vote for her. After what's happened over the last few weeks, I'm glad she's gone."

Feeley said yesterday he did not believe his position was undermined by any government minister, including Judith Collins.

"In my years as a public servant I have worked for a number of Ministers of various Governments. I strived to ensure, and believe that I had, entirely professional and constructive working relationships with all of those Ministers," Feeley said in a statement.

He said throughout his time as chief executive he believed the work of the SFO always enjoyed the support and respect of the Government.

"I have not seen the emails in question, and do not intend to make any comment on them at this time" he said. (Herald on Sunday)

- Herald on Sunday

New Zealand Herald

Your say
Adam Feeley is not above reproach for any actions that are seen to be inappropriate during investigations.

That Key has now approach the SSC who has made a media statement is just as inappropriate - it should be an action taken independently of any influence to investigate any allegations. The SSC cannot be drawn on personality (I thinkFeeley is a strong Head) It is the facts and only the facts that the SSC should investigate re bubblegate. If Feeley was head strong rather than a strong Head then he is held to account.

I do not favor Judith Collins but she was forced via complaint and concern to address feeley's behaviour - Criminal Bar Association and other top legal professionals voiced very strong concern over Feeley's alleged behaviour - it is the SSC to "independently" evaluate whether or not Feeley overstepped his marker.

The latest revelations serve to highlight a bigger issue that actually compromises the integrity of Government and Justice System when parties can get away with inappropriate behaviours as the possibility is that media is used to shut down topics as much as highlight wrongdoing and any interference and use of media destroys democracy and natural justice as we were led to believe it exists.

What NZ needs is an independent investigation body to monitor corruption in government and business in NZ
01 Sep 2014 07:42AM The truthseeker

http://www.scene.co.nz/queenstown-links-to-resignation-of-justice-minister/318828a1.page
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2014, 05:24:53 pm »

from The Southland Times....

Till breath test do we part

By Southland Times staff reporters | 1:03PM - Tuesday, 09 September 2014

AN Australian couple on honeymoon in Queenstown got into strife after an alcohol-fuelled night out celebrating their nuptials.

Jason Kieran McLean, 27, of Elsternwick, south-east of Melbourne, appeared before Judge Tom Broadmore in the Queenstown District Court yesterday for driving with a breath alcohol level of 555mcg on September 6th.

He was fined $850 and disqualified from driving for six months.

McLean and his wife were on honeymoon in New Zealand and out in Queenstown on Saturday night. Lawyer Rachel Napier said her client was out drinking but got separated from his wife, who was later arrested.

She was taken to the police station to detox.

McLean arrived at the station in the early hours to collect his wife and was then processed for drink-driving.

“This has had quite an impact on their relationship,” Napier said.

The judge said it was an act of folly to drive to the police station because McLean must have known he had had too much to drink.

He made an order for immediate payment of the fine.

The couple are expected to return to Australia today.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/10474868/Till-breath-test-do-we-part
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2014, 06:19:05 pm »

Cop avoids conviction over cabbie abuse

3:57 PM Monday Sep 22, 2014

A Queenstown policewoman found guilty of racially insulting a taxi driver after an argument over a fare has been discharged without conviction.

Jeanette May McNee, 44, appeared for sentencing in the Queenstown District Court today.

Judge Tony Couch ruled a conviction against McNee would outweigh the gravity of the offence and adversely impact her police career. ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11329428

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2014, 07:22:11 am »

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/320532/man-pay-745-camera

drongo

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2014, 12:46:32 am »

(the cartoon is “clickable”)
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2014, 04:10:53 pm »

Country star showcases Queenstown in video    

Last updated 14:21 11/11/2014

Queenstown could be considered more of a cosmopolitan area, but rising Timaru singer Cam Scott has brought a touch of country to the district, filming his debut music video around the resort.

Scott's single ''Somethin Bout a Girl'' was released earlier this month and has since shot to number one on the New Zealand iTunes Country Charts.

''It's about the sass of the wholesome girl that can still hold a man's attention in the distracting world of flesh and sex appeal,'' Scott said. ...

read more?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/10731656/Country-star-showcases-Queenstown-in-video

The Pacific Jemm: Queenstown Charters Luxury Private Lake Cruise http://www.pacificjemm.co.nz/
ummm Gem?

and, of course, at
http://xtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,14330.0/msg,160286.html

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:22:01 pm by nitpicker1 » Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2014, 06:28:53 am »

The vision: 10,000 competitors

Home » News » Queenstown Lakes

By Guy Williams on Mon, 24 Nov 2014
News: Queenstown Lakes

The heavens may have opened on the inaugural Queenstown International Marathon, but organisers say the sky is the limit for its future growth.
Chief organiser Dave Beeche said race officials were surprised to get 6000 entries this year - their year-five target - after initially expecting about 1200. ...Mr Beeche said a ''weather bomb'' had provided a stern test of the organisers' ability to keep late-finishing runners safe and well.

St John Queenstown station manager Craig Downing said 37 people were treated at the finish line for cold weather exposure, and a male competitor was taken to Lakes District Hospital for monitoring of a minor cardiac-related condition.

Most of those treated were late finishers caught in the ''cold snap'' from about 2pm, Mr Downing said. They were taken to a specially prepared room where they were monitored and gradually warmed up.

St John had 27 staff and three ambulances working at the event, including paramedics from Dunedin.

A planned prizegiving ceremony was cancelled because of the weather.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/324375/vision-10000-competitors

A planned prizegiving ceremony was cancelled because of the weather.

A little bird tells me that the runners and supporters faced horizontal hail in the caught in the ''cold snap'' 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my bolding emphasis

Marathon runners praised as 'absolute stars'

Sun, 23 Nov 2014

Organisers of the sold-out inaugural Air New Zealand Queenstown International Marathon have praised competitors for braving at-times atrocious conditions yesterday.

"You were all absolute stars in the rain," organisers Lagardere Unlimited said in a mass email to almost 6000 runners and walkers.

Conditions were so bad that the prizegiving ceremony at the Queenstown Recreation Ground was cancelled.

Marathon runners in particular who spent more than four hours on the course were hit by torrential rain and conditions that made some of the course muddy and slippery and appeared to induce the odd case of hypothermia.

Competitors, however, generally seemed very happy with the organisation of the race, despite some grizzles that the course, which traversed mainly trails from Arrowtown to Queenstown, was a little hillier that they'd anticipated.

Although the event was promoted as a destination marathon, there was keen competition at the head of the marathon, half-marathon and 10km runs.
 James Parsons, 27, originally from Dunedin, beat Dave Ridley, of Christchurch, by four minutes to take out the marathon in 2hr 33min 43sec.

Victoria Beck, 32, of Dunedin, won the women's marathon in 2:55.21sec, four minutes from Mel Aitken, also of Dunedin.

Adam Jacques, of Christchurch, won the men's half-marathon in 1:16.01sec and Lizzie Spencer, also of Christchurch, won the women's half in 1:25.48sec.

Celebrity chef Josh Emett finished the marathon in 4:06 and Tourism NZ chief executive Kevin Bowler, who had the idea for the event, finished his first marathon in 4:20.

Organisers are today presenting the Queenstown Trail Trust with a cheque for $27.966.81 to go towards future tail maintenance and development.

"To see 6000 competitors doing their best on the course which included a significant portion on the Queenstown Trail was brilliant with the outstanding beauty of our trails and region truly on show," trust CEO Mandy Kennedy says.

Event CEO Dave Beeche is also thrilled with the first marathon.

"We have hit year five targets in year one, such was the demand to be a part of what we know will become an iconic marathon event on the world calendar - NZ can be so proud of this stunning location.

"Conditions early in the day were perfect for running if not for spectators and the feedback about the course is as we expected - people just loved running in this amazing part of the world on beautifully prepared off-road trails."

Yesterday's unsung heroes, however, were the 300-plus volunteers, many of whom spent hours on aid station and traffic marshalling duties in some of the worst November weather the resort's endured.

- Philip Chandler

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/324326/marathon-runners-praised-absolute-stars

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2014, 06:47:35 am »

Police located Joseph Armstrong just before midnight.

He was injured and required medical attention, but it was unknown whether he was taken to hospital.

The Otago Daily Times understands police located Mr Armstrong at a camping ground in Queenstown, however, police were keeping quiet on the details of his return to safety.

They would not comment further on his condition.
Three officers in bulletproof vests had been seen leaving the Queenstown Lakeview Holiday Park just before midnight.

At the weekend police arrested two men in relation to the alleged kidnapping of Mr Armstrong.

However, the hunt for two of his alleged kidnappers, Pita Wilson (38) and Joshua Veint (23), was continuing and police were investigating whether the pair had access to firearms.

''The risk assessment is ongoing in regards to this investigation and that includes access to firearms,'' Relieving Otago rural area commander Inspector Olaf Jensen told the ODT yesterday afternoon.

But Joshua Veint's father told the ODT his son did not have firearms.

Glenorchy Ban 1080 campaigner James Veint said he believed there would be a peaceful resolution to the police search for his son.

''They haven't got firearms,'' Mr Veint said.

''I don't know why it's so big. They all know each other.''

He added: ''Josh and them aren't armed or anything.

''I've got faith in the police. It's not like in America, with the incidents over there. They'll all right.''

Mr Veint said he sent a text message to his son - who worked with Wilson - telling him to ''go and see the police'', but otherwise did not know anything about the incident.

''I can't find out anything, I can't speak to them and the police haven't said anything,'' he said.

''I've been away so haven't heard the local gossip.''

Insp Jensen said police believed Wilson and Veint had left the Queenstown area. The ODT understands police efforts are now focused on Invercargill.

Insp Jensen would not be drawn on particulars of the charges the other two Queenstown men faced, nor the specifics of the investigation.

About 7 o'clock last night a post appeared on Mr Armstrong's Facebook page claiming the kidnapping was based on lies and a hoax.

''Greeing everyone i need to tell you, that we have lied about the allelged kidnapping,'' the post read.

''pitta wilson, josh vient, juniour dan ur.familes and .police that.we have.destroyed and will repay everything that.we have.robbed.u of it.all. ashley,me,billy,kc andandrew deserve whaever is thrown at us. we are sincerly sorry the bother we hav caused to you all theres more to come.''

The post was met with astonishment and incredulity by Mr Armstrong's Facebook friends.

''This doesn't seem legit,'' one friend replied.

Two other people were involved in the alleged kidnapping at a Queenstown address on Tuesday but had been released earlier last week.

Insp Jensen said police were investigating why the alleged kidnapping had taken place, although he would not be drawn on specific lines of inquiry.

Yesterday, police located two vehicles they were seeking to do with the incident. A white Toyota Hilux with ''A1 Auto Electrics'' sign-written on it was found in Invercargill and a white Suzuki saloon was found in Queenstown.

Armed Offenders Squad members raided a Frankton Rd house on Friday night, entering the property using flash bangs and with guns raised.

Armed officers remained at the Frankton Rd property and at Bridgestone Tyres on Industrial Pl until yesterday morning. They were replaced by uniformed officers, before they too left yesterday afternoon.

Insp Jensen said police visited properties along Frankton Rd yesterday.

Joseph's father Brian Armstrong flew into Queenstown from Hamilton on Saturday evening and was met by police at the airport. Mr Armstrong, who used to own Shades of Arrowtown Motel, did not want to comment on the ongoing case.

Any person with information on the whereabouts of these men should contact Queenstown police on (03) 441-1600 or, to provide information anonymously, Crime Stoppers on 0800-555-111.

Following the news Mr Armstrong was located, friends took to social media to express their relief.

''Joseph Armstrong my bro its good to hear you are okay !! holy s*** i havent felt that relieved in ages hit me up if you need anything at all cuz glad to hear you are home safe,'' one friend posted.

Another posted: ''OMG so much relief.''

The former Wakatipu High School pupil is understood to originally hail from Newcastle, England.

• A 17-year-old man of no fixed abode was arrested in Queenstown early yesterday and has been charged with kidnapping. He will appear in the Queenstown District Court today.

A 36-year-old Queenstown man was arrested in Invercargill on Saturday evening and has been charged with being an accessory after the fact to injuring. He has been released on bail.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/325596/queenstown-man-found

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:56:34 am by nitpicker1 » Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2014, 01:50:57 pm »

Meeting adjourned after criticism

By Christina McDonald on Fri, 31 Jan 2014
News: Queenstown Lakes | QLDC

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/289945/meeting-adjourned-after-criticism

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Council's patience runs out over strident critic

Tue, 16 Dec 2014
Council's patience runs out over strident critic

The Queenstown Lakes District Council has called in big city lawyers to deal with bankrupt developer Basil Walker.

Yesterday, Mayor Vanessa van Uden wrote to Mr Walker - a strident writer and submitter over the use of ratepayer funds - warning him he faces legal action if he repeats ''defamatory comments''.

Auckland Crown solicitors Meredith Connell had been given instructions, she said.

The letter, copied to the media just as Mr Walker's correspondence has been, said on numerous occasions Mr Walker's correspondence had become ''increasingly abusive to council staff and contained defamatory comments''.

''To date, we have not stifled robust debate and demonstrated a high level of tolerance.

''However, the degree of inaccuracy and the frequency of your defamatory comments have reached a point where the council will show no further tolerance,'' the letter said.

Last night, Mr Walker said: ''It's just rubbish and it is trying to avoid prudent use of ratepayers' funds.''

His emailed response to Ms van Uden said if he had defamed a councillor she should name the member and the supposed defamation.

- David Williams

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/327312/councils-patience-runs-out-over-strident-critic

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2015, 10:24:10 am »

Tractor lifts pilot to flight record

By John Lewis on Sat, 3 Jan 2015

A Queenstown paraglider is crediting a farmer driving a tractor with helping him set the New Zealand record for the longest straight-line flight on a paraglider.

Coronet Peak Tandems owner and chief pilot Angus Tapper flew 170.4km from the Coronet Peak skifield to a point between Mt Cook airport and Mt Cook Village late last month.

The 45-year-old said he did not plan to break the record - he was trying a new paraglider which had been sitting in his office for about two months.

''This was my first flight using the glider. I got airborne and it felt comfortable and I thought I would just see if I could try to fly it through to Wanaka. Then I thought I would see if I could get across to Hawea Flat.''

Eight hours later, he was at Mt Cook.

During his flight, he reached an altitude of 2900m and dropped to about 100m near Hawea Flat.

At that point, he thought his flight was over, but he came across a tractor working in a paddock.

''The tractor was cutting hay and you could smell the grass.

''I was hoping the guy wouldn't see me and stop the tractor because it would have stopped the heat release.

''The tractor was going around in circles so it looked like I was chasing this tractor around the paddock.

''With all the hot air coming of it, I was able to slowly climb up again.

''You're always looking for anything that can be a heat release, like a hay paddock that's browned off or a little ridge line.

''The tractor really helped me out there.''

Mr Tapper has 27 years' experience in the aviation industry. He has been New Zealand Paragliding Champion four times, was runner-up at the 2010 New Zealand Hang Gliding Championships, and eighth in the world in 2001.

Until recently, he held the record for the longest paragliding flight by a New Zealand pilot after he flew 231km in Australia.

So what happens now for Mr Tapper?

''I can sit back and watch the other paragliders and see if they can beat it. I might try something with a hang-glider now.''

john.lewis

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/328899/tractor-lifts-pilot-flight-record
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2015, 05:59:50 am »

Dog owner convicted following terrier's attack on schnauzer

Wed, 14 Jan 2015

A Queenstown woman was yesterday found guilty of failing to keep her American Staffordshire terrier under control when it attacked a miniature schnauzer at Frankton Beach last May.

Pauline May (55) was found guilty of two charges laid under the Dog Control Act 1996 - one of which carries with it a maximum penalty of a $3000 fine, plus compensation for treatment received by the injured animal, and a mandatory order for the attacking dog's destruction unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Under questioning from Michael Walker, representing the Queenstown Lakes District Council, Sofitel executive chef Varick Neilson said he owned two miniature schnauzers, named Frank and Stevie Nicks.

About 7.30am on May 22 Mr Neilson was walking both dogs on leads along Frankton Beach when two dogs came down a bank behind him.

They were described as being ''like a Staffie - big, puffed up chests; stainless-steel collars; teeth gnarling; black and brown colours - typical, squat-looking dogs''.

The two dogs attacked Stevie Nicks, one gripping the back of her neck with its teeth while the other was trying to get its teeth into her lower back.

Mr Neilson, who was wearing steel-capped boots, managed to get ''a few boots into'' the dogs and released Stevie Nicks' lead, to give her a chance to escape.

''Those dogs would not let go of my little dog at all.

''They were salivating, foam coming out of their mouths, eyes were popping out. It was so aggressive. I've never seen anything like it.''

Mr Neilson said Frank bit the hind leg of one of the attacking dogs, distracting it enough so it released its grip on Stevie Nicks.

The other, however, continued its attack.

Mr Neilson picked up a large rock and threw it at the dog, connecting near its rib cage.

''It was enough to knock the wind out of that dog and it let go.''

Stevie Nicks ran away. Mr Neilson said he picked up the rock again and threw it ''at full force on the other dog's head'', causing it to be knocked over into Lake Wakatipu.

'' I picked up the rock again and I was going to throw it at the dog again and finish it once and for all.''

The dog moved before the rock hit it, walked out of the water, ''staggered and fell over'' before both dogs began retreating up the embankment.

He said he heard a woman's voice commanding the two attacking dogs to ''Get here, get here now'', but did not get a good look at her.

Stevie Nicks required surgery for her injuries and Mr Neilson laid a complaint with the council.

He returned to the area every day to try to find the dogs and on May 26 saw May and the dogs he believed were involved in the attack, in a car near the track.

He took photos and forwarded them to the council.

Defence counsel Sarah Law argued May's dog was not responsible for the attack and she was not present at the time of the incident.

While May accepted she was the owner of Milley, and Stevie Nicks was attacked on Frankton Beach on May 22, she did not accept Milley was the dog involved.

Photos taken by a council staff member in June were produced in court showing Milley with a head wound, allegedly caused by the rock hitting her.

May said Milley had received the injury earlier the previous month, when her son's dog attacked her after she tried to eat its food. The wound had healed by May 22, but was reopened on June 3 by her other dog licking it.

May said her dogs had never been walked along Frankton Track. Her husband normally ran the dogs alongside a vehicle around Lower Shotover.

She and the dogs were at home on the morning of the attack with a caregiver, who visited five mornings a week to assist her with her elderly mother.

Judge Turner said he rejected the defence evidence and was satisfied beyond reasonable doubt Milley was involved in the attack.

He convicted May and remanded her to April 13 for sentencing.

He did not call for a presentence report and said the only issue would be Milley's destruction.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/329911/dog-owner-convicted-following-terriers-attack-schnauzer

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2015, 05:21:45 am »

Driver who took keys not sorry

By Lucy Ibbotson on Tue, 20 Jan 2015

A tourist driver who had his rental car keys taken off him while driving on the Lindis Pass was left stranded on the side of the road in a remote spot with three children, no cellphone reception and no idea what he had done wrong, he says.

However, the Queenstown man who took the keys said he made no apology for his actions and would do the same again to keep other motorists safe.

The man, who asked not to be named, was driving south behind another vehicle on the Lindis Pass on Sunday evening when he encountered the Kia Carnival rental car being driven in the opposite direction by the tourist driver, who is now facing police charges.

The man said the rental vehicle was performing a passing manoeuvre on a bend and was in the wrong lane, forcing the car in front of his to drive ''completely off the road'' to avoid a collision.

The tourist car then ''locked its brakes'', slid back across the centre line and narrowly missed the vehicle it was passing and the man's vehicle.

''It was just an absolute fluke that he didn't connect with anyone. If we had have been 5m up the road we wouldn't be having this conversation.''

The man had a background in motorsport and said he would ''like to think ... I know what I'm talking about ... it's just hard to put it into words just how close it was''.

The man did a U-turn and caught up with the vehicle. He said he flashed his lights, beeped his horn and gestured to the driver to pull over, but ''he had no intention of stopping''.

He then overtook the vehicle, slowed down and indicated, to get the other driver to pull in.

He said he asked the apologetic tourist driver to move his car off to the side of the road and told him: ''Look, you can't drive like that mate; you almost killed a carload of people''.

The man reached through the open car window, removed the keys from the ignition and explained that once he was back in cellphone range he would call the police, who would come and talk to the driver.

While the man's actions were heavily praised on social media yesterday, the tourist driver - who was from Australia and of Indian descent - and another motorist who stopped to help the stranded group believe the situation was inappropriately handled.

Mason Brown and his family, originally from Te Anau but now living on the Gold Coast, were flagged down by the tourist driver.

No other traffic had stopped to help, it was raining and one of the rental car's electric windows was down.

There were three young children and an elderly diabetic man among the group of seven and the wife of the driver was ''very distressed'', Mr Brown said.

''They were visiting from Sydney so they weren't sure why the person had pulled them over and taken their key. They didn't know about not having cellphone coverage [in the Lindis], they didn't know where the nearest town was, so they were just really freaked out about what had happened.

''They didn't have any food or water in the car. They didn't know how long they were going to be there ... we gave them bottled water and some bananas and they were very appreciative of those.''

While the driver's decision to take the keys was ''obviously in the interest of safety'', it had created other hazards.

''Because of where it was, it was incredibly dangerous and stressful for that family and for other drivers. The car was off the road but it could have been more safely pulled off the road.''

Mr Brown believed taking the keys would have been acceptable in a less remote area.

''I've heard that people were hailing this person as a hero but ... I just think the way that it was handled was not particularly appropriate.''

Speaking from Queenstown yesterday,the tourist driver, who declined to be named, told the Otago Daily Times the incident was upsetting for him, his wife, three children and two elderly friends.

''We were just driving [from Queenstown to Lake Tekapo] and all of a sudden someone came and ... blocked us and just ran to us and just pulled the key out of the car and ... we were stranded there without doing anything,'' the man explained.

''There is no right for any other person to stop someone else's car with a family and just take the key and make them stranded on the road ... anything could have happened.''

But the driver who took the keys said: ''Would you rather have distressed kids sitting in the back of the car or dead kids splattered across the windscreen? That's how close it was.

''As far as I see it, I just took the ammunition out of the gun. A car's a weapon in the hands of an idiot like that.''

Both he and the tourist - who held a full Australian driver's licence - reported the incident to police.

The tourist told the ODT he was not aware of doing anything wrong while driving.

Acting road policing manager Senior Sergeant Steve Larking said the rental vehicle had also been subject to an earlier complaint of slow driving on the Crown Range.

The tourist driver had been charged with careless use of a motor vehicle and summonsed to appear in the Alexandra District Court on January 28.

His rental car contract was cancelled.

Police said a bus had picked up the tourist party and driven them back towards Tarras.

Police intercepted the bus and accompanied the tourist driver to retrieve his vehicle.

He was then followed to Cromwell and reunited with his family and police assisted them with food and travel arrangements.

Snr Sgt Larking said while members of the public might wish to take action to prevent unsafe driving, it was best to always contact police in the first instance via *555 or 111.

''Getting into a situation where you are removing keys from someone else's vehicle can put you at risk. In this instance, police appreciate that the motorist believed he was acting in the best interests of public safety and he contacted police as soon as he was able to.''

lucy.ibbotson@odt.co.nz

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/330522/driver-who-took-keys-not-sorry 
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2015, 03:31:38 pm »

Let's not forget the foot traffic fools

Tourist drivers: Easy fodder
OPINION: In Queenstown it’s common to complain about tourist drivers and rightly so.

Crossing the centre line, stopping without pulling over and some pretty dodgy parking not only winds you up but it can be downright dangerous.

But consider the pedestrians who seem to be just as clueless as to how to use their own two feet – tourist or otherwise.

People have had better success crossing deserts than crossing Shotover Street!

It seems to me that many of the things considered to be dangerous whilst behind the wheel can be just as destructive on foot.

Drinking and walking makes any journey take twice as long.

The path taken can suddenly become windy and unpredictable.

But, such a dangerous combination can also lead to all kinds of nasty outcomes from grazed knees and black eyes to finding yourself underneath someone’s car.

And when the police show up, who do you think they will breathalyse?

The sober driver’s likely to be grilled and charged whilst the half-cut pedestrians continue staggering on their journey.

Pedestrians can also be a nuisance when they are lost.

Without any sense of direction, or consideration for others, their chosen path can change instantly and without warning.

Or else they just stop dead in their tracks to take a photo.

Hesitant pedestrians might hang around at the very edge of a pedestrian crossing, feeling a bit lost.

These people are either too undecided to make a move or seem to wait for all vehicles on the street to come to a stop before deciding that actually they don’t need to cross the road at all.

Mind you, I guess here we should be thankful to those who use pedestrian crossings when so many of those on foot choose to cross the road just a few yards away from the damn things.

People using mobile phones whilst walking seem to have all their focus on the screen rather than where their feet are moving.

See how many people you can spot around town with their heads down and thumbs tapping away with no idea where their feet are taking them.

Often they’ll bump right into you. If you’re lucky, though, it could be a lamp post!

I’ll offer advice to people who use their limbs to get around and want to keep them all intact.

Don’t walk into oncoming traffic. Don’t linger around pedestrian crossings if you have no intention of making your way to the other side.

http://www.scene.co.nz/lets-not-forget-the-foot-traffic-fools/321003a1.page
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2015, 11:23:01 am »

Smashing entrance to Queenstown bank
Tracey Roxburgh
21 Jan 2015

A rental car mounted the footpath and crashed through a window at a central Queenstown bank yesterday.

No-one was injured in the incident, which happened just after 3pm.

The car came to rest in ANZ branch manager Chris Grocott's office.

Tourist attraction: Rubberneckers flock to the site of a crash at ANZ Bank in Queenstown
PICTURE: OTAGO DAILY TIMES

A 67-year-old man from the Netherlands will appear in court next week charged with dangerous driving.

Grocott told the Otago Daily Times he was sitting in his office, which is next to Ballarat Street, opening an account for a couple of customers.

''For a split second I heard the screech of tyres, then a massive explosion.

''When the noise stopped I had a car in my office and glass all over my customers and strewn right through the branch.''

Grocott said there were about 10 customers in the branch at the time, as well as staff.

After ensuring they were OK, he contacted police.

No-one was injured, although one of the customers in Grocott's office was quite shaken.

"My office is absolutely munted and there was significant damage to the branch.

"The car took out a floor-to-ceiling glass window and our mural wall is badly out of shape."

The scene instantly became Queenstown's newest tourist attraction, with visitors and residents eager to document the aftermath on cellphones and other cameras.

District Command Centre deployment co-ordinator Senior Sergeant Brian Benn, of Dunedin, says the man scraped his vehicle on the Ballarat St bridge just before the crash.

He stopped to look at the damage caused, "a bit rattled by this stage", got back into the car, and put it into drive when he meant to put it in reverse.

He looked over his shoulder, expected to go backwards, hit the accelerator, and drove forwards into the window.

"It's very lucky no-one inside was injured."

Benn says the man will appear in the Queenstown District Court on Monday, charged with dangerous driving.

The man was helped by the public until Queenstown police, St John and the Queenstown Volunteer Fire Brigade arrived.

The ANZ branch was closed yesterday afternoon while repairs were carried out but was set to reopen this morning.

Otago Daily Times

Your say

ANZ NOW HAS A DRIVE THROUGH
Following a rental car along Tucker Beach Rd, that had its brake lights on while going up hill, obviously her left foot was on the brake at the same time the right one on the throttle.
But wait it gets better.
Waiting to turn right towards Qtwn she now has her reversing lights on while waiting to supposedly accelerate onto SH6.
Now I am between a rock and a hard place waiting behind her and some one is behind me as well.
If I beep, she might bolt at speed into me, but if I get out the car to warn her she's in reverse, she might think I'm the Qtwn vigilante brigade trying to remove her keys, well you can guess what happened........

21 Jan 2015 06:16PM broggs

Have your say
You will need to register or login before you can post a comment.

http://www.scene.co.nz/smashing-entrance-to-queenstown-bank/321009a1.page
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2015, 09:53:37 am »

Fraudster Abbott admits car swindle
Taylor29 Jan 2015

Dodgy car mechanic Karl Abbott’s been convicted of another fraud.

The serial Queenstown fraudster, 54, (pictured, right) admitted he charged $1166 for repairs he didn’t carry out.

He also attempted to pervert the course of justice by lying to a Disputes Tribunal.

Abbott’s been jailed twice before, in 2004 and 2005, for Christchurch car maintenance swindles.

And Mountain Scene’s reported several instances of people locally being unhappy with his work.

Abbott pleaded guilty to three charges at Invercargill District Court on Tuesday – the second day of his jury trial.

The court heard Abbott invoiced Lumley Insurance for $966 on March 30, 2012, for repairs to Brazilian man Darcio Fernandez’s car.

Abbott claimed he’d replaced the gearbox in the Honda CRV but the work was never done.

He also invoiced Fernandez for $200 for insurance excess.

When Fernandez took Abbott to the Disputes Tribunal in January 2013, Abbott supplied a signed letter stating he’d located a second-hand gearbox and installed it.

Abbott was discharged on two other charges relating to repairs to a Toyota in 2013, which included endangering the public.

Judge Michael Turner remanded Abbott on bail until March 18 for sentence in Invercargill.

In 2010, Abbott’s partner Rhonda Tomlin told Mountain Scene complaints about his work were “a set-up” and “vendetta” by other local mechanics – and he was determined to become a respected businessman.

Tomlin opened Spanner Worx in Industrial Place in March 2013 on the same site where Abbott had his now defunct Queenstown Mobile Mechanic Ltd business.

Spanner Worx has the Queenstown contract for Wicked Campers.

http://www.scene.co.nz/fraudster-abbott-admits-car-swindle/321125a1.page

Modified to add

See also

https://www.google.co.nz/?gws_rd=ssl#q=karl+abbott+queenstown

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:07:40 am by nitpicker1 » Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2015, 10:21:19 am »

Cabin owner accuses council of 'skulduggery'

By Guy Williams on Wed, 11 Feb 2015

Fewer than a quarter of cabin owners affected by moves to extend Queenstown's CBD have told the Queenstown Lakes District Council what they plan to do with their cabins.

The leases of 77 privately owned cabins on the mainly council-owned Lakeview site, which is earmarked for a convention centre and other redevelopment, expire on September 30 with no right of renewal.

Despite the passing of a January 30 deadline, only 16 owners have told the council which of three options they prefer: remove or demolish their cabins at their own cost, arrange for the council to remove them for a $10,000 fee, or gift them to the council.

All but one of the 16 have decided to gift their cabins.

The other will remove their cabin.

About 15ha of land will be rezoned as town centre under the controversial plan change 50.

Public hearings were held in December and last month, and will wrap up later this month.

One cabin owner is accusing the council of ''skulduggery'' in its dealings with owners, and says the council is intent on taking over as many cabins as possible and renting them out at market rates until the land is redeveloped.

Council chief executive Adam Feeley said it would ''potentially'' rent out the cabins remaining on the site following a one-month grace period after September 30.

The rent received would offset the cost of removing the cabins before redevelopment began.

Tenants living in privately owned cabins might be able to continue as tenants under council ownership ''case-by-case''.

''We will discuss options with those parties.''

Mr Feeley confirmed the council had discussed with a party about moving some or all of the cabins to an alternative site to be rented out.

But it was ''most likely'' the cabins would not be moved until a redevelopment agreement was in place.

A Brisbane-based cabin owner, Lucy Bell, said despite continuing to receive rent notices, she had never received a letter from the council reminding her of her lease's expiry, or explaining the implications of plan change 50.

Other absentee owners had not received such letters, with the council having ''just stuck notices under the houses''.

She accused the council of ''skulduggery'' by deliberately keeping cabin owners uninformed, and of using bullying tactics when owners and tenants raised their concerns with council staff.

Ms Bell said she would demolish her cabin rather than give it to the council.

''If I leave my house here, they will rent it out for 400 bucks a week.''

Tenants now paying an average of $150 a week - many of them retired, low-wage workers or on welfare - could not afford the likely doubling of their rents, she said.

''The council might as well evict everyone and admit it.''

Council communications manager Michele Poole said the council wrote to all cabin owners in early December to remind them of the expiry date and explain their options.

A similar letter was delivered to the occupants of the cabins, she said.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/332689/cabin-owner-accuses-council-skulduggery
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2015, 07:07:14 am »

'Pilot' could face charges after drone hits hotel

By Guy Williams on Fri, 13 Feb 2015

A man who crashed a drone into a Queenstown hotel and then left the scene could be prosecuted for breaking civil aviation rules.

The man was seen flying the drone in Earnslaw Park with friends on Tuesday night.

Despite being warned by a bystander that he was breaking the law by flying the drone after sunset, the man later crashed it into the Peppers Beacon hotel.

Senior Constable Chris Blackford, of Queenstown, said the drone was recovered by a hotel employee and handed in to police on Wednesday.

The DJI Phantom Vision quadcopter, which has a camera attached and is worth about $1800, had minor damage.

The man may have been too embarrassed to retrieve it, Snr Const Blackford said.

The drone's owner, who is believed to be a Chinese tourist, was spoken to before the incident by Queenstown resident Colin Aitchison, who operates drones for his aerial photography company, Droneworks New Zealand.

Mr Aitchison said the man appeared to be filming another couple walking along the waterfront, but was ''flying it like a tool''.

''He was all over the shop.''

He told him flying after sunset was illegal and he risked getting in trouble with police.

''He just turned his back and ignored me.''

A drone flown in an urban area by an unskilled operator could be dangerous, yet their numbers in Queenstown had grown rapidly from three or four two years ago to about 40, Mr Aitchison said.

Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) spokesman Mike Eng said the incident could have breached the agency's rules.

If a CAA investigation found that to be the case, the drone's owner could be given a formal written warning, an infringement notice and fine, or be prosecuted.

He encouraged anyone with information about the incident to contact the agency or police.

''Because unmanned aircraft can fly faster, further and higher than traditional model aircraft, they bring greater safety risks for other aircraft, as well as people and property on the ground.''

The agency was considering public submissions on a draft rule for unmanned aircraft operations, and expected to submit that to Transport Minister Simon Bridges next month, Mr Eng said.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/332958/drone-charges-possible
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2015, 07:23:34 am »

Pioneer Generation puts stations on market

By Lynda van Kempen on Mon, 9 Mar 2015
The Regions: Central Otago

Two high country stations Pioneer Generation bought to provide access to potential hydro development on the Nevis River are on the market.
Tenders close for Ben Nevis and Craigroy Stations on April 15 and their sale will be the final chapter in Pioneer's unsuccessful bid to keep the option open for a hydro dam on the river.

''They are of no use to us now - we're not farmers,'' Pioneer's chief executive, Fraser Jonker, said. Seven years of wrangling and legal action over whether damming should be prohibited ended 16 months ago.

The then Minister for the Environment, Amy Adams, changed the water conservation order on the Nevis to increase its protection by banning damming or diversion. When she announced her decision, Ms Adams said it was important to protect the Nevis galaxiid fish and to protect the wild and scenic characteristics of the river, especially for fishing and kayaking.

Before the water conservation order was amended, it left the option open for potential hydro development. Throughout the legal proceedings, Pioneer said it was not applying for resource consent for a dam, but wanted to protect the ability to apply for resource consents in the future.

It bought the leases of the two stations on the banks of the Nevis, Ben Nevis and Craigroy, in 1997. The properties provided access to suitable land and development sites for power scheme options on the Nevis.

The two stations have recently gone through the tenure review process. Some land was freeholded and some added to the conservation estate. On Ben Nevis, 4244ha has been freeholded and 3172ha of Craigroy has been freeholded.

The properties, 22km from Bannockburn, have been leased out by Pioneer and used for farming merino sheep and cattle. Debate over the special values of the Nevis began in June 2006, when the Otago and New Zealand Fish and Game Councils applied for an amendment to the river's water conservation order.

Two years later, a special tribunal was appointed by the Ministry for the Environment to consider more than 240 submissions on the proposed amendment. The tribunal eventually decided the conservation order should be amended to ban damming, solely to protect the habitat of a rare native fish.

That decision was appealed by Pioneer, Whitewater New Zealand, and the fish and game councils and the matter went to the Environment Court.

The court decision, in June 2013, said commissioners were divided. Two out of three recommended a ban on damming while Judge Jon Jackson recommended the potential for a small dam on the river should be left open.

The matter was then referred to Ms Adams for a final decision. Pioneer, which evolved from the Otago Central Electric Power Board after the restructuring of the power industry in the late 1990s, said the board had first mooted plans for hydro development on the Nevis in the late 1960s.

Plans by Pioneer for a hydro electric scheme on the upper Fraser river near Alexandra were unveiled last week after it sought resource consent for the project.

-lynda.van.kempen@odt.co.nz

http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central-otago/335639/pioneer-generation-puts-stations-market

Nek Minnit

Fraser scheme viable: Pioneer

By Lynda van Kempen on Fri, 6 Mar 2015
The Regions: Central Otago

Pioneer Generation is confident its proposed $15 million to $20 million hydro-electric scheme on the upper Fraser River near Alexandra is viable and sustainable in the long term.
The community-owned company, which owns and operates 13 hydro-electricity generation stations and two wind farms in Otago and Southland, has applied for resource consents for the venture.

The consent application was notified yesterday by the Central Otago District Council. Submissions close on April 2.

''This opportunity has been on our radar for two or three years and we've done quite a lot of work on it and consulted behind the scenes with all the key players and agencies,'' Pioneer chief executive Fraser Jonker said.

''It's a small project and, in the scheme of others around the country, it's a small scheme with an extremely small footprint.''

The run-of-the river scheme would include a low weir, up to 4m high, a power station and pipeline.

It would be connected to the Central Otago network and generate enough electricity annually for 3500 homes.

Most of the scheme structures would be on Earnscleugh Station land and on the river margin.

Mr Jonker said the ''homework'' done on the project showed it was financially viable and sustainable.

Securing the jobs of the existing Pioneer workforce was one of the benefits of the scheme.

''It'll make the business more efficient and so secure those positions, plus, this scheme is right on our doorstep.''

Pioneer already generates power from the river.

The current Fraser power scheme, which takes water about 5km downstream of the Fraser Dam, was constructed in the mid-1950s.

The dam was built during the Depression as seasonal storage for irrigation.

The company was spending about $3 million upgrading the ''lower'' Fraser scheme.

The two Fraser schemes would operate independently, Mr Jonker said.

In its consent application, Pioneer said the reach of the Fraser River affected by the development was not usually accessed by the public for recreational use.

The rugged nature of the gorge made access difficult.

Part of the site is classified as outstanding natural landscape in the district plan and the rest is deemed to be a significant amenity landscape.

The company has filed reports on the site's hydrology, ecology, water quality, landscape and heritage values.

In the application, it said the difficult-to-access high country meant the scale of the project would not ''dominate'' the views or landscape.

Adverse visual and amenity effects would be avoided or mitigated and the power scheme would be an asset to the community.

In 2013, after a seven-year wrangle, Pioneer's plans for a hydro-electric development on the Nevis River were sunk.

Then minister for the environment Amy Adams blocked the plans by changing the water conservation order on the Nevis to increase its protection and ban damming.

Mr Jonker said from Pioneer's talks with the various stakeholders involved in the upper Fraser project, he was hopeful this scheme would proceed.

''I think this is a different story altogether to what we experienced in the Nevis.''

It would be Pioneer's first new hydro scheme since the Kowhai hydro-electric power station on the Teviot River, 3.5km east of Roxburgh, began operating in 2010.

Construction is also under way on Pioneer's third wind power venture, the $16 million eight-turbine Flat Hill wind farm near Bluff.

• Pioneer was formed in 1999 after the electricity industry reforms, and evolved from the generation assets of the former Otago Central Electric Power Board.

It is wholly owned by the Central Lakes Trust and pays an annual dividend to the trust.

lynda.van.kempen@odt.co.nz

http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central-otago/335389/fraser-scheme-viable-pioneer

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2015, 08:01:20 am »

Iron Run riders converge on resort

Sat, 21 Mar 2015

Leather-clad bikers with their distinctive black attire, metallic accessories, scruffy beards and enthusiastic smiles are gathering in Queenstown.

Hundreds of the Harley-Davidson fraternity are in the resort for Iron Run 2015, dubbed New Zealand's premier Harley-Davidson event.

Their dark look is deceiving and bikers speaking to the Otago Daily Times described the solidarity of the gathering.

Len and Bev Smith rode down from Hamilton. ''It doesn't matter who you are - everyone is welcome and it's just like family. We are now life-long friends with people we met 13 or 14 years ago. We meet up and talk some b ... The bikes bring everyone together,'' Mr Smith said.

The pair have criss-crossed the country on a Harley Tri Glide Trike via Picton, Franz Josef and Wanaka.

''It's been a cool ride ... and the weather was great,'' he said.

His wife agreed and said all bikers had something in common.

She also joked it was an expensive club to be part of, and there were ''lots of sore bums all round too''.

Fellow rider Gwen Chapman, of Hokitika, said New Zealand was world renowned for its Harley fraternity.

''We have the most fantastic sense of fun. Everyone knows we have the best parties and appreciates our hospitality.''

The event attracted people from across the globe, she said.

The Queenstown event includes group rides to Glenorchy and Wanaka, a Harley-Davidson motorcycle show, the Iron Run itself from Queenstown to Arrowtown, starting at 10am and, of course, Iron Run parties.

- Louise Scott 

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/336866/iron-run-riders-converge-resort

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2015, 10:20:46 am »

'Neighbour from hell' sprays neighbour with weed killer: video

Paul Taylor19 Mar 2015

Queenstown's own 'neighbour from hell' has a second conviction for assaulting a neighbour.

Property developer Alistair Hey, 54, sprayed weed killer in neighbour Tim Clark's face last September.

Last Thursday, Hey was sentenced at Invercargill District Court to 70 hours' community work for common assault and ordered to pay $1500 emotional harm reparation to Clark.

That follows an assault conviction in January last year, after Hensman Road resident Hey kicked 71-year-old neighbour Geoffrey Hamilton in the knee.

Justice might have been done but rattled neighbours aren't taking any chances. They've complained of heavy bass music and fireworks being set off at all hours.

Two sets of neighbours have already moved and another plans to.

Neighbour Linda Cross says: "If there were one of those neighbour from hell shows over here, he'd be on it.

"We lock the door when we get home.

"We hear the music and firecrackers at midnight."

Hey's latest victim, Clark, 57, says he made about half a dozen noise complaints.

Noise control officers attended five in three years but only deemed it necessary to issue an 'excessive noise direction' on one occasion.

Clark says he confronted Hey after the music was left on all weekend - that's when he was sprayed in the eyes and "then we got into it".

"You can't behave like that," Clark says. "Everyone in the neighbourhood would like him to stop his nonsense.

"He's just not a very pleasant guy."

Clark's eyes _ sprayed with a diluted mixture of moss and mould remover _ were irritated for several days and his arm was injured in the tussle.

He was treated by St John but didn't need hospital treatment.

The incident was caught on CCTV set up by former Hensman Rd resident Frank Schreiber, who accused Hey of racially abusing him, prompting him to move house.

"It was a nightmare," Schreiber says.

"My whole family was traumatised, my children didn't want to walk to school, we lost our personal freedom pretty much. We had to move. We were scared. He is a violent man, once he snaps."

Clark says he'd had little problem with Hey over 20 years but that changed when he made a statement to police about the Hamilton case.

"He decided to make our lives miserable," Clark says.

The music drove Hamilton and his wife "nuts'', he says.

"Alistair got bent out of shape with me and it was then directed at us."

Problems with Hamilton and Schreiber stemmed from the use of a shared driveway.

Other neighbours say Hey is a wind-up merchant. They claim he lets off huge fireworks at random times and does other things to irritate them such as putting up a New Zealand flag on a pole, blocking the Clarks' views. But the situation's improved since his arrest.

Clark intends to move house.

Hamilton has already moved. Hey declined to comment to Mountain Scene.

In the Hamilton case, Hey was convicted and his sentence deferred for six months. He was also convicted for intentional damage of Hamilton's BMW and ordered to pay $839 reparation.

Judge Michael Turner said at the time the neighbours lived in a "state of acrimony" and encouraged them to stop using the justice system to sort it out.

Legal advice available to Mountain Scene is that neighbours should refrain from taking action themselves and to involve the police, who will put the matter before the court as they see necessary.

paul.taylor@scene.co.nz

http://www.scene.co.nz/neighbour-from-hell-sprays-neighbour-with-weed-killer-video/322032a1.page

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2015, 10:23:47 am »

Czech couple's 'compromising position' on Queenstown waterfront

CHE BAKER

Last updated 14:51, May 18 2015

A Czech Republic couple found in "compromising position" on the Queenstown waterfront said they thought it was OK  because they could do it in their home country.

Sergeant Kate Pirovano, of Queenstown, said the couple were found in the "amorous" position about 3.15am on Monday, across the road from one of Queenstown's most expensive hotels, the Eichardt's Private Hotel.

A passing patrol car was alerted to the scene by members of the public who pointed them in the couple's direction.

Pirovano said the couple thought it was an alright thing to do because it was "something they thought they could do back home".

However, Honorary Consulate of the Czech Republic in Auckland Gregory Shanahan said that was not the case.

"When you go to Prague you won't find people copulating all over the place," Shanahan said.

Some places in Germany tolerated public nudity and "it might be something catching on in Czech", he said.

Regardless, the couple needed to follow the laws that apply to New Zealand, he said.

Pirovano said it was "a bit too amorous for public display."

The couple were taken to the Queenstown police station where they were warned for offensive behaviour.

They were close to being charged for the "totally unacceptable" behaviour, Pirovano said.

The incident was a reminder for all foreigners to follow the rules against the behaviour in public in New Zealand, she said.

In January an incident in Christchurch saw a 26-year-old woman and a married senior manager filmed and photographed by Carlton Bar and Eatery patrons across Papanui Rd during a late-night sex romp after they left the lights on in their workplace.

Footage of sexual encounter was posted on social media and news stories sparked nation and international headlines.

The two Marsh Ltd employees no longer work for the company.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/68628517/Czech-couples-compromising-position-on-Queenstown-waterfront

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2015, 08:49:45 pm »

ROFLMAO....before I even opened this thread, I KNEW what the latest post would be about....
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2015, 08:46:33 am »

Auditor-General launches Feeley probe

The Auditor-General will investigate a bid by Queenstown council boss Adam Feeley's family trust to use fast-track powers to develop land at Arrowtown.

The inquiry was confirmed by the Auditor-General's office this morning.

Spokesman Mike Heine said: "In May, we received several requests from people in the Queenstown Lakes district to inquire into the chief executive’s interest in land owned by his family being considered for a special housing area, including any involvement he had in developing the housing accord and the council’s policy before he declared an interest.

"The requests raise issues of trust and confidence in council processes, and issues about how council officers can participate in those processes as members of the community."

The probe will include:

The nature and extent of any involvement by the chief executive in developing the Council’s housing accord and related policy for special housing areas;
And how the Council and chief executive: have managed the chief executive’s interest in land owned by his family being considered for a special housing area; and should manage matters if the land owned by the chief executive’s family is approved as a special housing area.
Feeley's Rafa Trust is one of 13 applications for special housing area status - which will be considered at a full council meeting this coming Wednesday.

The Rafa Trust's proposal is for 20 properties, of between 250 square metres and 500sq m, on McDonnell Road - opposite the Millbrook corner on the town's south side.

On Wednesday, council staff revealed their recommendations for the 13 special housing area applications, endorsing just four.

But they were silent on all Arrowtown proposals, including Rafa Trust's, leaving it to councillors to weigh them up.

The biggest public backlash has been aimed at subdivisions in and around Arrowtown, which has spent yearsestablishing a growth boundary.

Council rates records state the Rafa Trust's land spans 6.175 hectares and is worth a combined $1.7 million.

Previously, Feeley said he sought advice from the Auditor-General on how to manage the conflict - and it had stated it was comfortable with his approach.

Queenstown mayor Vanessa van Uden said in February that Feeley flagged his "potential conflict" with the whole council, adding: "I am completely satisfied that none exists."

http://www.scene.co.nz/auditorgeneral-launches-feeley-probe/323227a1.page
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2015, 04:01:53 pm »

from The Queenstown Mirror....

Is Queenstown becoming less attractive to other New Zealanders?

While the numbers of international visitors to Queenstown booms,
there's a dip in the number of New Zealanders visiting.

By DEBBIE JAMIESON | 12:34PM - Friday, 19 June 2015

Is Queenstown becoming less attractive to New Zealanders as a holiday destination? — Photo: Barry Harcourt.
Is Queenstown becoming less attractive to New Zealanders as a holiday destination?
 — Photo: Barry Harcourt.

HAVE New Zealanders had enough of bungy jumping, skiing and relaxing in the Queen's own town?

The number of New Zealanders visiting Queenstown has taken a dip causing Destination Queenstown to keep a watching brief.

Recently release statistics for April showed overall guest nights had fallen 1.2 percent from the same month last year.

International visitors made up 64 percent of the visitors and they increased 9.3 percent to 166,898. However, domestic visitors decreased 15.5 percent.

Destination Queenstown chief executive Graham Budd said despite large overall increases in tourist numbers he had noticed a slight decrease in domestic visitors over the last year.

The number of visitors from Auckland had been flat for the last three years, Otago was showing an increase but Wellington, Christchurch and Southland were all down.

Budd said the drop was understandable from Christchurch after the 2011 earthquakes and the loss of a direct flight from Wellington to Queenstown about 18 months ago had also played a role.

“As always there's individual stories within the overall story but the overall effect is the domestic market is down a little.”

He was not concerned Queenstown had lost its appeal for domestic visitors.

Destination Queenstown chief executive officer Graham Budd on Queenstown Bay yesterday morning.
Destination Queenstown chief executive
officer Graham Budd on Queenstown
Bay yesterday morning.

One factor could be the growth in the number of international visitors pushing up the price of accommodation “which is good because it's been very low quite frankly.”

That could have displaced people during peak periods when accommodation was full.

“If people can't book the hotel or accommodation they want domestically they choose to go somewhere else,” he said.

He was keeping an eye on it to ensure it didn't develop into a longer term trend.

Retaining domestic visitors was important to maintaining a balanced portfolio of visitor markets and the domestic market was traditionally very stable and not affected by international events. It was also more consistent year round.

“We do need it [the domestic market] to remain strong … and we want other New Zealanders to think of Queenstown as their place as well. We want to be relevant, vibrant and attractive.”

The decline noted in Queenstown was not reflected nationally.

“I don't think it's something we need to be concerned about yet. It is something we need to keep an eye on.”

DESTINATION QUEENSTOWN

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/69348036/is-queenstown-becoming-less-attractive-to-other-new-zealanders
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2015, 08:45:44 am »

Squalid rentals in millionaires' resort

Peter Newport in Queenstown - (peter.newport@radionz.co.nz)

16 hrs ago

As new workers flood into the resort town, known for attracting wealthy holidaymakers, they are being confronted by a combination of low pay and high rents.

This is forcing many to live in what they describe as squalid, unhealthy and unsafe conditions.

Tenants also claim landlords are asking them to pay rents in cash, avoiding lodging bonds with the Government's Tenancy Services agency, and failing to sign a formal tenancy agreement.

Some rentals are being occupied by four or more people per room, with one property regularly housing more than 30 people.

read the rest?
http://www.msn.com/en-nz/money/homeandproperty/squalid-rentals-in-millionaires-resort/ar-AAe52CK?ocid=spartandhp

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: