Xtra News Community 2
April 21, 2024, 01:29:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Wanganui DHB Patient Safety? yeah right

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanganui DHB Patient Safety? yeah right  (Read 39 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: June 27, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »

93-year-old left on doorstep after hospital discharge
Last updated 10:30 26/06/2011

A taxi driver had to carry a 93-year-old Wanganui woman to her doorstep, where she was left, after she was sent home from hospital.

Caregiver Maureen McMillan said the woman had gone to hospital in an ambulance on June 13 after experiencing severe pain in her spine and left leg. She was sent home the next day and a prescription arrived in the post two days after that, the Wanganui Chronicle reported.

However, the pain returned on June 17 and she again called an ambulance. This time she was discharged about 5pm and put into a taxi.

"A neighbour had been given the key to my client's home but unfortunately she was out when the taxi arrived at my client's home," Mrs McMillan said.

"The taxi driver had to carry my client as she was unable to walk and he put her in a chair outside her door to wait for the return of her neighbour and left.

"Another neighbour in a next-door flat had seen what happened and, with help of others living nearby, they carried my client over to their communal hall, made her a cup of tea and tried to warm her up in front of a heater. She was disoriented and had no idea where she was."

The woman was back in hospital that night, where she remained, Mrs McMillan said.

Wanganui District Health Board director of nursing, patient safety and quality Sandy Blake said the board was investigating.

"That will include interviews with clinical staff and a review of the patient's health records and internal processes to clarify circumstances around this patient's presentations and discharges," Mrs Blake told the newspaper.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/5194284/93-year-old-left-on-doorstep-after-hospital-discharge
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: