Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 02:29:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

using QUINCES

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: using QUINCES  (Read 875 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: June 01, 2011, 03:22:54 pm »

I hadn't seen or used Quinces since I was about 18, couldn't resist a orchard honesty box on the road near Roxburgh, recently.

Now what to do with them? I am trying this:

Wash, peel, core quinces, then chop coarsely and place in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the quinces and boil covered for about 30 minutes or until fruit is very soft. Remove excess water and weigh.

Process the fruit until very smooth either with a regular or a handheld blender. Add an equal amount (see step 1) of sugar and combine with fruit pulp in the same pot.

Cook, stirring over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the quince paste thickens and has a deep orange color. This will take round about 60-90 minutes.

Transfer cooked paste to a parchment paper lined and lightly greased pan (mine was about 20x20cm/8×8″) and spread paste flat. Place in oven at low heat (50°C/120°F) with the fan on for an hour or so to aid the drying process.

To serve (with cheese): Cut into small wedges or squares. To store: Wrap in foil and keep in fridge.

Note: Some recipes suggest the use of a muslin to also cook the peel and core, which I believe is not necessary and simply adds more work. You decide.

Membrillo (quince paste)

Recipe source: combination of various sources

Prep time: 20min., cooking/drying: ~2,5 hours

Ingredients (serves many...):

4 quinces, peeled, cored and coarsely cubed

equal amount of white sugar (determined in step 1)

water

to serve: crackers and cheeses (e.g. Manchego)

http://www.deliciousdays.com/archives/2006/11/16/membrillo/

well, it's in the oven drying out now, I don't much like the look or taste of it   Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »

My Mum used to make things with quinces when I was young.

However I cannot remember whether it was jam (or jelly) or desserts, or whatever.

I must remember to ask her next time I'm up in Hastings (which should be within two weeks or so).

I'm sure she'd probably have a few quince recipes.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:06:13 pm »

It was quince cooked and used as a dessert, and quince and apple jelly on toast when I was a kid.

That recipe I posted, the Membrillo, turned out looking like the pic on the website, but I don't much like the either the taste or the gritty texture and don't think using it with crackers and cheese would help either the crackers or the cheese.  Maybe the quinces should have been less ripe? They were easy to peel and from what I remember of those my mother used as dessert fruit they were tigers to peel then.

IMO the best way of using them, for myself, would be as a Quince and Apple jelly, where the fruit pulp is strained through a jellybag thus removing the gritty element.

Nemmind, the few I have left have delivered a nice smell wafting in the air as I pass by!   
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
ssweetpea
Senator
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:26:02 am »

I was given a few quinces several years ago. I made jam out of them, very nice it was too.

They weren't that pleasent to peel, hard and astrigent and digging out the codlin moth was the icig on the cake. I was pleasently surprised by the resulting jam. It was a lovely colour and taste.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
guest49
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:25 pm »

I have a Quince tree.
They are marvelous stewed with peaches.
Use a potato peeler to skin them
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: