Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 02:09:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Fiji rejects Commonwealth

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiji rejects Commonwealth  (Read 332 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:55:40 am »

now NZ should immediately stop feeding Fiji money stop all imports and NZers wanting tropical island holidays should look elsewhere .....

Fiji's military ruler Voreqe Bainimarama has bluntly told the Commonwealth to kick his nation out of the body.

He has rejected holding elections.

A Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group met in London overnight and gave Fiji a six-month deadline to restore democracy or face the full suspension of its membership, in the wake of a coup in 2006.

"The Group deplored the fact that Fiji remained in contravention of Commonwealth values and principles,'' said a statement issued after a meeting in London of ministers and representatives from nine Commonwealth countries.

Bainimarama, who overthrew a democratic government in 2006, told Auckland's Radio Tarana he was expecting Commonwealth Secretary General Kamalesh Sharma to phone him soon.

"I will tell him in no uncertain terms nothing's going to change," he told the radio station.

"If they want to suspend Fiji this coming December they can do it now. No one is going to interfere in what we are trying to do, not New Zealand, not Australia, not anybody else. Nothing is going to be done. There's going to be no election."

He said elections would not be this year at all.

"If we go into elections now it is not going to serve any purpose, it's probably going to make things worse for the people of Fiji."

The Commonwealth ministers noted that Fiji had ignored a deadline to hold elections by March 2009 and said that ''should sufficient progress not take place... Fiji Islands will be fully suspended from the Commonwealth at the Group's next meeting in September 2009.''

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/2000434/Fiji-rejects-Commonwealth
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest49
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:00:58 am »

No problem.  I want to see all financial aid kicked into touch as well though.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:05:36 am »

Is Bainimarama the Mugabe of the South Pacific?
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Magoo
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:25:09 am »

Cut the umbilical.
Report Spam   Logged
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:34:36 am »

Yep about time to stop aid and cut apronstrings we carried the can when he chased half the indians ouit what more can we do either that of send in the sas and aerate the bugger
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:09:35 am »

Cutting off trade may hurt us more than you think.

Where does our sugar come from? It doesn't grow in NZ

I am really wondering about the culture in Fiji that this military dictator seems to think that what he does within the borders of these islands is of no concern of Australia, New Zealand and the rest of the commomwealth yet still expects his personel to have right of passage into our territory and to recieve aid to support the population he is not willing to allow to decide their own leadership.

It obviously doesn't strike Bainimarama that has his head stuck in the sand.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 01:32:18 pm by ssweetpea » Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 10:20:30 am »

aussie and plenty of our neighbours ti which we can export to .....and get paid............produces bananas pineapples sugar we dont need fiji.
Have done business with fiji and even with government all deals were irrevokable letter of credit anybody taking govt word on payment took tier chances and even then shipments mysteriously never arrive etc been there done that and learnt hard way.
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:03:10 pm »

I wouldnt be in support of cutting disaster aid - the people havent asked for this - their army chief has.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 04:42:32 pm »

then it is up to the people to get rid of him.............would suspect that a goodly prop[ortion of aid never reaches the intended recipients and instead helps fund his army of thugs just as happens in mugabees baliwick.
Aid only helps support the regieme
Report Spam   Logged

WOW, What a Ride!"

guest49
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 05:31:49 pm »

Hear-Hear!
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 06:05:26 pm »

Yeh a civil uprising should work  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
guest49
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 06:17:25 pm »

Ok, Why do we owe them a living?
Why should we keep feeding this despot cash, to keep him and his in power?
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 06:20:20 pm »

I dont suggest for a minute he or the country should be given any 'funds', though I wouldnt like to see that at a time of disaster the people arnt cared for properly.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 06:24:34 pm »

I wouldnt be in support of cutting disaster aid - the people havent asked for this - their army chief has.

I feel sorry for the innocent Fijian people. Having said that, I would need guarantees that any Aid we are sending was actually getting to those innocent victims of disaster. Until I had guarantees, then all Aid should be stopped forthwith.
Report Spam   Logged
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 06:29:42 pm »

yes with the guarentee I would not like to see disaster victims suffer but really the people should close him down as he is only making things worse for them. Next ethnic clensing and more refugees for new zealand to cope with and a chinese fire base in the pacific protecting a fishing fleet to rape the pacific fish stocks
Report Spam   Logged

WOW, What a Ride!"

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 07:09:06 pm »

why help them whenever they have some flood , hurricane or any other natural disaster ?

does NZ ever receive any financial aid from other countries when we have massive floods and other natural disasters ?
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 07:16:02 pm »

I feel sorry for the innocent Fijian people. Having said that, I would need guarantees that any Aid we are sending was actually getting to those innocent victims of disaster. Until I had guarantees, then all Aid should be stopped forthwith.

I think this is being carefully watched lately ..

http://xtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,683.0/msg,10801.html
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 07:20:28 pm »

I  think this is being carefully watched lately ..

http://xtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,683.0/msg,10801.html

Aid not Aids, Lovelee
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 06:17:47 am »

Well Ali, I did giggle at that - though Im sure the aid provided, being condoms, were in regard to AIDS  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: