Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 07:49:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Dancing with the Stars

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dancing with the Stars  (Read 9173 times)
Alicat
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2009, 01:33:34 pm »

He has his mouth open through all his dances - not a good look!

Morning Lovelee.
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2009, 02:15:24 am »

Josh's face DID look weird while he was dancing. 
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2009, 09:26:01 am »

He was singing the words - thats what he said - he couldnt stop himself. hehe
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2009, 10:37:11 am »

It's popularity that counts

The judges may give points to the best dancers but, for the rest of us, Dancing With the Stars is really a big popularity contest.

How else to  explain the elimination of actress  Rebecca Hobbs two weeks ago over  the clumsy-footed, but likeable, former All Black Josh Kronfeld?

And as the show's finale approaches, even the celebrities admit they know as much.

TV One Breakfast weather presenter and crowd favourite Tamati Coffey wasn't shocked by Hobbs' elimination.

"It means everything on TV - how you come across. And the way she was jumping up-and-down . . . I know I spoke to plenty of my family and friends and they were like, 'why does she jump around like that?' I tell them it's how she expresses herself and they tell me they don't like it." In the build-up to last week's show, Barbara Kendall and Geraldine Brophy had been hitting the campaign trail the hardest - Brophy canvassing votes in shopping malls and Kendall working the sports scene - but they needed all the help they could muster against an ex-All Black and the perennially popular Coffey. The pair ended up in the bottom two before Brophy, who'd been struggling with chronic arthritis, took her last bow, with some relief.

But the ever-competitive Kendall wasn't so happy. She had pulled out the big gun in the race for votes - her Olympic rings dress, to remind everyone she's still New Zealand's gold medal-winning sail-boarding sweetheart. But it didn't work as well as expected.

"I'm going to have to work a lot harder next week, now that I know we're at the bottom of the votes," she says.

Kronfeld doesn't agree he has an edge over the other competitors because he used to be an All Black.

"From everything I've seen on this show, you never know when your time's up. The judges play a part of that. I reckon they definitely have their favourites and let things slide with some, but not others."

Backstage at rehearsals last Tuesday, there were few smiles. The women were rehearsing in grim silence, wearing hairnets and curlers, and Brophy limped off on swollen feet, a grimace in place of her usual grin.

And while DWTS kick-started Rodney Hide's weight loss regime, there hasn't been anything as obviously dramatic this season. The couples talk more about "redistribution" of muscle, although Kronfeld says he has lost 10kg.

Brophy seems a little sensitive when asked if she's lost any weight, probably not surprising after one reviewer meanly panned her as pandering to the "over 50s, fattie, ginga vote".

"No, not a skerrick. Why would I want to? I am beautiful, why would I want to lose any weight? That was never my objective."

As for her dancing partner Stefano Olivieri - who made the memorable doing-something-in-his- pants comment in response - he is unrepentant.

Says Olivieri: "The real Stefano is a really cheeky boy, and sometimes you forget the camera's pointed at you. I am sorry that people didn't take it in the good nature it was definitely meant."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/2330412/Its-popularity-that-counts
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2009, 10:38:54 am »

Keating pops up

The fancy footwork of our dancing celebrities could be overshadowed by the surprise appearance of Irish pop star Ronan Keating on the final of TV1's popular Dancing with the Stars on April 21.

Keating was just 17 when he leapt to fame as a member of the Irish boy-band Boyzone.

Since then he has carved out a successful solo career, releasing five albums, three of which went straight to number one. His latest album, Songs For My Mother, has just been released and is a tribute to his mother, who died of breast cancer 10 years ago.

Keating is coming to New Zealand to promote the album which features eight songs by artists such as Bob Dylan, Elvis and Joni Mitchell who were favourites of his mother.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/2330337/Keating-pops-up
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2009, 12:00:25 pm »

It definitely comes down to the popularity vote rather than focussing on the dancing. I freely admit I have consistently been voting for 2 dancers each week - Barbara and Tamati because I believe dance-wise and personality-wise they deserve it. I would delighted for either one of them to win.

There is one hell of a lot of complacency amongst the Kiwi public vote. There's that 'she'll be right mate' attitude where they assume someone will get through - yep they'll be safe - only they're not. It's simple - if you want to help your favourite Celeb then vote.

For what it is worth, I do not believe that Barbara Kendall (or Rebecca Hobbs for that matter) - good as they are, are a patch on Temepara George or Lorraine Downes. Both those ladies really had class on the dance floor - Barbara is good, don't get me wrong .... BUT.

Josh really has to go
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2009, 08:53:33 pm »

I think Barbara was hot!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:08:53 pm by Alicat » Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2009, 08:54:12 pm »

Josh wasn't as good as last week.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2009, 09:08:01 pm »

Tamati - wow wow wow
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2009, 09:20:35 pm »

I loved Barbara's second dance too
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2009, 09:26:29 pm »

Josh's second dance wasn't too bad at all. Not great but not bad.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2009, 09:37:29 pm »

Tamati SIZZLES!
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2009, 09:57:51 pm »

I agree with all your comments Alicat
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2009, 10:00:24 pm »

Barbara is through to the final hooray!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2009, 10:00:49 pm »

Leaving the show tonight .... Josh
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2009, 10:01:17 pm »

So's Tamati, it is gonna be a great final
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2009, 10:02:49 pm »

I'm delighted .... I'm getting the final I really really wanted
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2009, 10:03:46 pm »

I'm going to sleep happy!
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2009, 10:16:26 pm »

Heinzy thought Joshs partner danced real well .. he reckons she should be allowed to stay  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Alicat
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2009, 10:23:10 pm »

Heinzy thought Joshs partner danced real well .. he reckons she should be allowed to stay  Roll Eyes

She rocks. I hope they have her back. She's really worked Josh and probably pushed him further than others might have been able to.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2009, 10:24:12 pm »

Did Heinzy suggest she might be able to teach him a few manoevres?
Report Spam   Logged
inky
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49:22 pm »

:re:dancing with the stars

they are all good. none of them, deserve to be voted against.

inky
Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2009, 05:54:19 am »

PMSL, sounds like Heinzy and Mr S are VERY much alike  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2009, 08:12:04 am »

Did Heinzy suggest she might be able to teach him a few manoevres?

Ali - when we first met we went on a pissy rugby league bus trip to see the Warriors play.  We had stopped in HUntly of all places to pick up extra people, it was about 9.30 am the bar there was pumping -music blaring out.  I have at least 2 left feet - I have never been able to dance properly.  We walked in the door and Heinzy grabbed me and whooshed me around the bar!!  It was then I learnt when a real dancer has you in their arms you dont have to know how to dance - he can do them all.  Elegantly!!  The bar stopped to watch and roared and clapped and yelled when we'd finished.  Certainly opened my eyes to the man.  So sadly for him he doesnt need to learn any manoevers (sp)  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2009, 08:57:14 am »

Dancing bosses expel DWTS star

Her skilful partnering of Tamati Coffey on Dancing with the Stars has impressed the show's judges but Samantha Hitchcock is on the outer with her sport's governing body.

She and national ballroom dance title holders Timur and Yulia Mullayanov have been deregistered by the New Zealand Dance and Dance Sport Council (NZDDSC) as punishment for helping other young dancers with their steps.

The trio's temporary expulsion from competitive dancing has sparked a furore in the dance community and shattered the sport's genteel image as lawyers for both sides battle it out.

The council claims Hitchcock, who is due to dance in the final of Dancing With The Stars on Tuesday night, and the Russian-born Mullayanov siblings, who have now been stripped of their 2008 title, breached the rules governing amateur dancers in New Zealand by helping prepare other young dancers for competitions at the Colleen Murray Dance Centre in Christchurch.

"This whole business has become a joke," said the centre's director Colleen Murray, who has also been deregistered by the council for 12 months.

"The council is turning amateur against amateur and professional against professional and doing nothing to promote the true spirit of dance sport."

Hitchcock is bitterly disappointed by the council's decision to deregister her and believes its actions are harming dance sport in New Zealand by prohibiting talented amateur dancers from passing on their knowledge to youngsters.

"It's a real shame," Hitchcock said. "This whole situation is a perfect example of the way New Zealand is staying back in the dark ages. New Zealand will continue to be a small pokey country in dancing if the current people controlling the sport continue to hold this attitude."

Murray, whose past students have included Dancing With the Stars judge Brendan Cole and regular competitor Aaron Gilmore, said the problems began when she agreed to let Hitchcock, who was studying natural medicine in Christchurch, and the Mullayanovs, help out at her studio.

Amateur dancers are allowed to teach social dancers but the trio, none of whom were on the centre's payroll, broke their sport's rules when they started passing on their skills to other registered (competitive) dancers while they were still competing as amateurs themselves.

"We never realised we were doing anything wrong," Yulia Mullayanov said.

But in November last year, just 10 days before they were to compete at the Australian nationals, the Mullayanovs received a letter from the NZDDSC informing them they had been stripped of their title and disqualified from taking part in any dance competitions for 12 months.

The suspension period was reduced to six months after the pair hired a lawyer to challenge the council's ruling.

Murray and the Mullayanovs believe they have been unfairly singled out as an example to other amateur dancers.

"This is not an isolated case of amateurs teaching. I have the names of many top amateur competitors who are also teaching in studios throughout New Zealand," said Murray, who has hired a lawyer to fight her deregistration.

Murray now wants the council disbanded and the rules governing the sport changed to bring them in line with those in Australia and many other countries, which allow amateurs to teach under regulated conditions.

The Mullayanovs, who have spent thousands on legal fees, want to get on with their goal of becoming amateur world champions.

The NZDDSC is standing by its decision. President Grant Macown said the council had a responsibility to ensure the rules and regulations were adhered to so dancers and business could compete fairly on a level playing field. The disciplinary action had followed serious breaches of council rules that had occurred quite openly over several months.

Two of the affected dancers had since admitted to breaching council rules through their solicitor, he said.

"We do not believe there are grounds to deny the justice of the actions that were taken, and consider Colleen Murray's recent actions as sensationalism and potentially damaging to the New Zealand dance sport industry."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/2345077/Dancing-bosses-expel-DWTS-star
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: