Xtra News Community 2
April 17, 2024, 09:09:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Fiji

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiji  (Read 2685 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: January 28, 2009, 12:24:21 pm »

Well -- theyve been told to state a date for the elections before May this year and the elections muct be held before Dec 31.

Bananarama is fuming!!
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:26:59 pm »

I thought he had just said that elections were unlikely within the next 5 years given that he wanted a review of the constitution first.

Fiji polls up to 10 years away, says coup leader
2:05PM Tuesday Jan 27, 2009
by Claire Trevett in Port Moresby

Prime Minister John Key expressed disappointment today at suggestions from Fiji that a democratic election could be five or even 10 years away.

Mr Key was speaking to reporters in Papua New Guinea this morning ahead of a special summit of Pacific Islands Forum countries on Fiji's return to democracy.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10553792
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:29:23 pm by Calliope » Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 12:41:04 pm »

Yep thats what he said - but thats unacceptable by the Pacific Forum
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:52:49 pm »

So...what happens next?
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:56:59 pm »

We wait for Banana Man to stop insulting DonKey and start organising elections I spose.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 06:34:20 pm »

Fiji stonewalls after election ultimatum
January 28, 2009 - 5:29PM

Fiji has thumbed its nose at an ultimatum from regional neighbours ordering it to hold an election this year, saying it will consider options to restore democracy "at our own pace".

The Pacific Islands Forum this week reached a unanimous decision to give Fiji's military-led government a final deadline of May 1 to announce a date for a 2009 election.

It faces automatic suspension from the regional grouping if the demand is not met.

Member nations, including Australia, issued the ultimatum after a special meeting of forum leaders in Papua New Guinea on Tuesday.

Leaders decided a tough stand was warranted given the failure of self-appointed interim prime minister Frank Bainimarama to declare a timetable to restore democracy, more than two years after his coup.

Many experts on Pacific governance have praised the hardline approach, saying it shows Australia and fellow forum member New Zealand are taking the Fiji problem seriously.

But it's widely agreed the tactic will fail, with history showing Bainimarama does not respond well to threats or deadlines.

Fiji has not officially responded to the forum's ultimatum, beyond a statement released on Wednesday saying Bainimarama currently had more pressing issues to deal with.

"We will give consideration to the leaders' decisions at our own pace and in the order of priority of issues to hand to be addressed," said Bainimarama, who snubbed the Port Moresby meeting on the grounds he was required at home to help with flood recovery.

"Right now, we have more pressing issues to deal with to bring lives of flood affected victims to normal and that children go to school without any disruption."

Fiji's interim attorney-general Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum, who attended the meeting instead, was tight-lipped on how the nation would respond to the demand.

But he said the electoral commission would need at least 12 months to organise an election if one was called, making a 2009 poll out of the question.

"I went in there and said my piece and from the outcome, their decision, it really doesn't appear that they were listening to me," said Sayed-Khaiyum, speaking to AAP on a stopover in Brisbane on Wednesday.

Sayed-Khaiyum accused Australia and New Zealand of having a narrow, blinkered view of the problem.

"There seems to be this understanding that an election per se leads to democracy, but that is simply not the case, especially if it's not done properly.

"These countries don't understand that."

He also took a swipe at the Rudd government, saying Labor ministers had been "no easier to deal" with than the Howard ministers before them.

"I haven't had any personal dealings but as far as policy is concerned I can tell you they're no better.

"In fact, the negative attitudes around Fiji seem to be coming more entrenched."

Associate Professor Hugh Laracy, of the University of Auckland, supported Fiji's position, saying setting a deadline was naive, precipitant and unhelpful.

"Australia and New Zealand should really lay off Fiji, stop their bullying, and allow the government to sort the situation out."

However, other Australian and Fiji-based academics said putting the ball in Fiji's court was the most sensible option, even though it was unlikely to work.

"This way they've given the rope to Fiji and said use it to get out of that hole or hang yourself, so to speak," said Professor Brij Lal of the Australian National University.

"Fiji has to make the next move."
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/fiji-stonewalls-after-election-ultimatum-20090128-7rse.html
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 07:36:08 pm »

Looks like this is going to end badly with all foreign aid cut off.

All for the sake of arrogance
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 07:42:48 pm »

I must have a chat to the Fijian shop owners near us and ask what they think about all this.

I think you are probably right SP
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 07:49:18 pm »

I dont know that it will end there sweetie - that could just be the start.

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:16:29 pm »

On one hand I can see Bananaramas dislike of having Indian Fijians overly represented in the countries affairs after all its called Fiji not India island, then on the other hand his efforts to keep Fiji for the Fijians has put him way offside with everyone else. Who knows how its gonna turn out?
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
obione

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 08:38:39 pm »

irregardless of what bainimara did in Fiji, its not up to us to say who is right or wrong there..its none of our business..we are meddling in another countries internal affairs.. we should watch from afar...
unless we are just the same as they are...
Report Spam   Logged
Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 09:11:32 pm »

On one hand I can see Bananaramas dislike of having Indian Fijians overly represented in the countries affairs after all its called Fiji not India island, then on the other hand his efforts to keep Fiji for the Fijians has put him way offside with everyone else. Who knows how its gonna turn out?

I don't know where you get the idea that Bainimarama is anti-Indian, Benny. He opposed the previous Qarase government because it wanted to entrench the rights of indigenous Fijians and he supports universal franchise for all Fijian citizens. He also opposed the government's plan to offer amnesty to those involved in the George Speight coup.

But he is also a military dictator leading an illegal regime, stamping on human rights and press freedom and refusing to give any undertaking about a return to democracy.

If Obione believes that is none of our business then I assume he also thinks the situation in Zimbabwe, Cuba. China and North Korea are none of our business, either. Not to mention Iraq, of course.
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 10:03:15 pm »

If Obione believes that is none of our business then I assume he also thinks the situation in Zimbabwe, Cuba. China and North Korea are none of our business, either. Not to mention Iraq, of course.

im with Obi on this i too believe that it is none of our business what is happening in other countries...

worry about what is happening in our country is of greater importance

but then you dont care about NZ do you Magpie since your girlfriend loss control do you ?
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 10:04:18 pm »

I am sure that I read somewhere that Fiji has not taken a census for 10 or so years and they can't hold an election until this is done.
Report Spam   Logged

Magpie

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 05:48:10 am »

I don't know about the census, Brownie, but there is a problem regarding the Fijian constitution which currently favours indigenous Fijians. Bainimarama wants to change that, but is now caught in a Catch 22 situation.

A military dictator changing the constitution will not be acceptable to the rest of the world, but if he allows a government to be elected under the current constitution, it will be a government which is unlikely to want radical constitutional change. His best option may be to drawe up a constitution and put it to a vote, which is probably where the lack of a census may prove a problem for him.

The more I read about Bainimarama the more I come to realise he is not the total villain that he is being painted.

Newton Fella, you are entitled to your views. I don't agree with them, which is my right.

It is a pity you can't express a point of view without getting personal. That says much more about you than it does about me.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 06:09:53 am »

In some ways I concur with Obi  Grin

It isnt our business - though it would become our business should residents/citizens of Fiji start having trouble created by the Fiji army.

I was reading the other day that the US constitution states they must not push their form of government onto any other country - I dont think thats part of our constitition.
Report Spam   Logged

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 09:11:32 am »

Mags it wouldnt be the first time a dictator said one thing and meant the opposite. Have to admit though Im not too fussed what they do over there, but if Bananarama isnt against Indian Fijians in government and isnt against Fijian Fijians either, who do you think he supports and why? No one pulls off a coup without supporting someone (or being backed by someone, or group)
Report Spam   Logged

Magpie

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 12:05:17 pm »

For the "Fiji isn't our business" group, think upon this:

If we believe in freedom and democracy, surely we believe in it for all people, not just for ourselves. Where freedom is curtailed or trampled upon this it is surely the concern of all freedom loving people.

Imagine if New Zealand was the subject of an armed coup. Freedom of speech, freedom of the press and basic human rights were all destroyed. People could be dragged out of their homes in the middle of the night, locked up without trial and tortured or worse.

If that happened, how would we feel if the rest of the world simply said: "It's not our business, that's New Zealand's problem. Nothing to do with us."

Think about it.
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 12:23:06 pm »

regardless of what bainimara did in Fiji, its not up to us to say who is right or wrong there..its none of our business

Do we not give them a big fortune in aid?
If what happens in some pacific pest-hole is none of our business, then perhaps the piper should stop being paid?
Report Spam   Logged
Magpie

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 12:25:19 pm »

Benny, we can only look at what Bainimarama has said and what he has done and compare the two. It seems to me his statements and his actions are pretty consistent.

Since mid-2008 he has been championing a People's Charter to guide future governments of Fiji.

The overall objective of the Charter is defined as follows:

To rebuild Fiji into a non-racial, culturally-vibrant and united, well-governed, truly democratic nation that seeks progress, and prosperity through merit-based equality of opportunity, and peace.
Much emphasis is laid on the necessity to prioritise national unity over the politics of separate ethnic communities.

Bainimarama has been portrayed as a dictator and a bully by many, particularly Australia and New Zealand. He is certainly a dictator, maybe he is a bully, but I think he is a lot more than that.
Report Spam   Logged

Magpie

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 12:29:16 pm »

For anyone who is interested, further information on the People's Charter in Fiji is available here:

http://www.fiji.gov.fj/publish/charter.shtml
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 07:10:07 am »

Samoan PM attacks Fiji's Bainimarama

In an extraordinary verbal attack on a neighbour, Samoa's Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele has claimed Fiji's military is planning to stay in power for another decade.

In the Samoan Government newspaper Savali, Tuilaepa he called on Fijian people to reclaim their government.

"I strongly believe that Bainimarama has no intention of relinquishing power and returning Fiji to democratic government," Tuilaepa says.

He had heard military chiefs in Suva were talking up to a decade of military rule.

"Therefore that's a clear indication that Bainimarama has no intention whatsoever of holding general elections and returning his country to democratic rule."

Tuilaepa said the commodore was "stealing public money" by appointing himself as finance minister and paying himself F$200,000 (NZ$207,000) in unclaimed leave.

"And yet he has been telling everybody that he needs to clean up Fiji of corruption. I think it's a classic case of do as I say and not as I do."

He said Fiji was losing aid money because neither the United Nations nor the Commonwealth had funds "to prop up unelected dictators and coup-installed military regimes....

"It's a clear indication of how green Bainimarama is. He doesn't understand these things."

The Samoan prime minister noted that last week the military appointed Fiji Police Chief, Esala Teleni, had attacked his Indian police for not joining his Christian crusade and accepting Jesus Christ.

"That's what madmen who appoint themselves to office do. They appoint other madmen to positions of power," Tuilaepa said.

"Those actions are reminiscent of Stalin, Mussolini and Hitler. Well where are they now? And how are they remembered?"

He said there was still hope for the commodore, if he held elections and disbanded the military. He asked why Fiji even had an army.

"Perhaps Bainimarama fears a combined canoe attack from Tuvalu and Kiribati, its closest neighbours. That must be it.... Having a prime minister dressed up in army beret and full military garb is a bit ridiculous....

"It's time for Fijians to wake up. Wake up now. Stand up and reclaim your government. It is your God-given right."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4856754a12.html?source=RSSworldnews_20090223
Report Spam   Logged

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 08:06:41 am »

Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 02:50:36 pm »

Interesting Blog
http://www.crosbiew.blogspot.com/

Fiji: The Way it Was, Is and Can Be
This blog is unusual in that it aims to present a balanced and helpful representation of events in Fiji as they relate to the post-2006 military coup or takeover. The blog comprises posts, with comments (and identified political leanings), and links to background resources. The blog is founded on the belief that in times when emotions run high, our focus should be fixed on the most important immediate issue: the election of a truly representative government dedicated to serve all the people.
Report Spam   Logged

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 08:24:28 pm »

Yeah but does democracy really exist anywhere? weve seen over the course of decades that 70 = 80% of the population can be against a law or bill, and the whuking thing still gets rammed through the house!!! Wheres the democracy in that?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: