Xtra News Community 2
April 21, 2024, 02:03:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

EU scientific body raises health alarm on MP3s

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EU scientific body raises health alarm on MP3s  (Read 153 times)
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« on: January 28, 2009, 11:59:05 am »

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Up to 10 million young Europeans are in danger of damaging their hearing by playing their MP3 personal music players too loud, a European Union body on health risks told a conference on Tuesday.

Listening to MP3 players and other personal music players at high volumes for long periods of time can cause loss of hearing and tinnitus, a ringing sensation in the ears, the EU Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks said.

It found that 5-10 percent of MP3 users risk permanent hearing loss if they listen to a personal music player for more than one hour per day, each week at high volume settings for a period of at least 5 years. No cure is currently known for hearing loss or tinnitus, the committee noted in its report.

"Let's be frank -- we are looking at a catastrophe unless something is done soon," Stephen Russell of the pan-European ANEC consumer safety group said.

The conference, organised by the European Commission in Brussels, discussed possible measures to prevent such health effects, ranging from warnings flashed on the devices' screens, to limits on the maximum volumes on players. The Commission said it would examine possible action on the problem.

(Reporting by Sarah Luehrs; editing by Mark John)

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/technology/5285521/eu-scientific-body-raises-health-alarm-mp3s/
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:17:40 pm »

TRULY!!  Ive told the kids a hundred times .. if I can hear it, its too loud.

I dont even bother now - Im not the sort to do the I told ya so - but I just cant be bothered.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: