Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 01:58:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Could this be the dumb bitch of the year winner

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could this be the dumb bitch of the year winner  (Read 166 times)
akadaka
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« on: March 10, 2011, 04:42:44 pm »

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/8987079/lotto-cheque-for-christchurch-questioned/

Go Steph bleep on baby Grin

An $8.2 million Lotto donation to the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal is being questioned by a community group, who say the promotion encouraged gambling.

The Lotteries Commission today presented a cheque for $8,248,300 to the Government, following a special Lotto draw at the weekend in which 50 cents from every dollar spent on Lotto, Lotto Strike and Lotto Powerball on Saturday was to be donated to the relief fund.

Downtown Community Ministry director Stephanie McIntyre said that while the generosity of donations for Christchurch was heartening, the appropriateness of the role played by the Lotteries Commission had to be questioned.

"On this sad occasion, the New Zealand public was encouraged to gamble," she said,

"While Lotto is less socially harmful than pokie machines, Lotto 'normalised' gambling in our communities, paving the way for pokie machine gambling. All gambling forms have had a huge negative impact on our communities."

Accepting the cheque at Parliament today, Internal Affairs Minister Nathan Guy said he wanted to thank everyone who had bought a ticket on Saturday.

"We know it's going to take a fair amount of time and resource to get Christchurch back on its feet, and I thank the Lotteries Commission for providing the mechanism to raise funds for the people of Christchurch, it's a fantastic result."

Mr Guy said he had not bought a ticket for the $17m draw himself.

Report Spam   Logged

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:45:09 pm »

well - u cant please all the people all the time!
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:13:25 pm »

I really have to confess at this point that I purchased a ticket chiefly to win that $17m, nobody needed to encourage me.
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
dragontamer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:10 pm »

I really have to confess at this point that I purchased a ticket chiefly to win that $17m, nobody needed to encourage me.

Ditto.

While in the North Island every shop we went into (or close to every one anyway) had something to buy to raise funds for Christchurch or some one at the door collecting.   It's nice and all that everyone has such easy access to donate, but really..... it felt a little overkill to us. 
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:52 am »

Yep .. Ive noticed the same .. my reply now is that I have given, I gave through a 'safe' bank account, which is the only way I donate to anything.  That way you have a better way of knowing where the money is going ....
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: