Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 02:43:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

What to do with courgettes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with courgettes  (Read 934 times)
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« on: March 01, 2009, 03:09:07 pm »

Use up those excess courgettes from the garden: Grate and pack into clean, dry containers and freeze. During winter these can be added to soups and casseroles or thaw and squeeze in a tea towel before adding to quiches. This is a nutritious and cheap green for winter
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ssweetpea
Senator
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:16:06 pm »

I wish. I don't know quite what went wrong this year. I planted them in a new spot that was either too dry, too poor soil or too shaded or all 3. I haven't had a single one. Huh
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 04:00:25 pm »

I froze a few whole, prolly will slice up up for stir frys mebbe?
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:13:52 am »

Courgettes go best in the garbage  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea
Senator
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 07:48:03 am »

The ones you miss that grow into marrows can be used to stretch out the fruit in jam.

Just peel, remove and discard the seeds, chop up and cook in a little water. Purree them when cooked and freeze in measured portions. Just add to the cooked fruit and use the total weight to workout the amount of sugar.

I use any I get my hands on 50/50 with plums but it would still work with any strong setting fruit or you could use jam setter.

Courgettes, grated, also work well in any carrot cake recipe in lieu of carrot. Excellent in pasta sauce too.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Magoo
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:08:27 am »

Used either as courgettes - skin and all -  or marrow...(peeled, seeded and diced) 
Fry lightly in oil and garlic.
You can add bacon diced and or mushroom, capsicum, olives, or whatever rips your shorts.
Add tomatos either canned or fresh.
Tomato puree or if none a goodly squirt of tomato sauce.
Toss over some Italian herbs or herbs to your liking.

Cook for 15 or 20 mins. 

This can be used over meat, pasta or freeze for casseroles or stew bases.   Good base for spaghetti sauce.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:07:08 pm »

Actually pigs and chooks like them too  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: