Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 11:03:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

“RICH PRICKS”

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “RICH PRICKS”  (Read 227 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: January 28, 2011, 05:53:22 pm »

Deborah Hill Cone: All out of love for the super rich

Power elite look down on the rest of us, but
they still want to be admired. Well, tough!

The Business Herald | 9:30AM - Friday, January 28, 2011

RICH PRICK: New Zealand's own billionaire Graeme Hart now fails to impress Deborah Hill Cone. — Photo: Martin Sykes.
RICH PRICK: New Zealand's own billionaire Graeme Hart now fails to impress Deborah Hill Cone.
 — Photo: Martin Sykes.

I HAVE GONE OFF RICH PEOPLE. I used to like them. I spent years of my career as a professional brown-noser writing stories saying we should hero worship business tycoons, they create wealth and jobs, they work blimmin' hard and are actually misunderstood little flowers in their superyachts, poor petals. And now I am saying Eat the Tossers. Or rather, let's chow down on the super thermonuclear rich, who are another category entirely.

You might not be familiar with this uber-wealthy breed as we don't see many of this sort down here except for boring old Graeme Hart.

These are the sort who go to the billionaire jamboree in Davos, Switzerland. They have private jets and four homes and say things like "Twenty [million] is only 10 after tax". These are the super-elite who made their own dosh, frequently from technology or financial jiggery pokery.

They are hard-working, highly educated meritocrats. As Chrystia Freedland put it in an essay in The Atlantic, this "transglobal community of peers" feel they are the deserving winners of a tough, worldwide economic competition - and many of them, as a result, have an ambivalent, even dismissive, attitude towards the rest of us who didn't succeed so spectacularly.

There is no allegiance to where they came from. "Whether they maintain primary residences in New York or Hong Kong, Moscow or Mumbai, today's super-rich are increasingly a nation unto themselves."

RICH PRICK

Maybe we should stop hounding Amanda Hotchin and focus on Hart instead because only the galactically rich have the ability to be truly blithe about the little people. Oh, I admit some of these innovators have contributed profoundly to civilisation and progress. Granted, some of their products have improved the lives of millions of people. But find a billionaire and dollars to donuts their empire will include some money-go-round gimmicks dreamed up on Wall Street. And Wall Street doesn't do jack shit for anyone.

Even Paul Volcker, the legendary former head of the Federal Reserve, has said: "I wish someone would give me one shred of neutral evidence that financial innovation has led to economic growth — one shred of evidence." With ya Paul. Waiting, waiting.

Since the GFC, HNWs have gone off into the stratosphere. (That's the global financial crisis and high net worth individuals, for you civilians.) Wall Street has recovered nicely thank you but Main Street — that's you and me — is left even further behind. That's our own fault, according to the uber rich.

Ask the power elite who was really responsible for the global economic collapse and with eye-swivelling arrogance they will point to their hairdresser who has three plasma screen TVs and borrowed 100 per cent to buy investment properties. Or the builder who got ideas above his station. Whatever. Their answer is: it wasn't me, man.

What really irks me though, is the righteous rich's bogus pretensions to doing good.

With the self-obsession of overgrown grad students, they fancy themselves intellectuals who are going to change the world rather than just make money.

The new guard sneer at the old school big swinging dicks of Wall Street; they were just gamblers.

The real status symbol among this gang is not anything with a logo or a motor or even a knighthood; it's a philanthropic foundation.

The uber-rich want glory and adoration — recognition as visionaries and altruists — as well as money. They want to be loved. Well tough. You're not getting it from me anymore.

Email: Deborah Hill Cone

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10702313

“GREED”
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:55:49 pm »

WEALTH GAP
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:56:44 pm »

SOEs
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 05:53:40 am »

Envy manifests itself in so many ways.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 11:43:58 am »

RICH PRICKS
Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 12:45:55 am »

all those in favor of big government and big taxes put up your hands
main problem for the leftist is the only way to create jobs
is by giving companies tax breaks so they can afford to hire people
either that or we go bush or live in caves lol
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: