Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 11:42:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Flooding, Road closures, in parts of the North Island.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flooding, Road closures, in parts of the North Island.  (Read 464 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: January 24, 2011, 02:42:41 pm »

Some pictures I took last night (23 Jan 2011) and this morning.

Waves breaking over the sea wall and flooding the car park at The Promenade end of Takapuna Beach just before high tide (23:00) We were parked in the centre row of the carpark and I was using the wingmirror in leiu of a tripod as the wind was too strong. The water was washing over my feet (about 4cm deep).

Believe it or not there is a big boat ramp wide enough for 4 boat trailers under this lot, Takapuna

The Takapuna beach access at The Promenade, the wash was starting to encroach on the road shortly after this.

When the Takapuna Beach campground gets a little too beach/reef front

This was a picket fence halfway down Takapuna beach - most of the fences near the normal high tide mark are in semi dismantled condition this morning but this was the fence that stuck out the most and suffered the worst.

Err... one reason for not buying beach front property, see were the tide wash got up to?
This between Tiri Rd and Muritai Rd Milford beach. This stretch of Milford Beach has a walkway on top of a sea wall protecting a truck sewer line between the houses and the sand.

Some erosion between Tiri Rd and Muritai Rd, Milford

This is where I have taken photos of waves breaking over the Milford sea wall before. It happens any high tide with a bit of wind behind it. However that was a concrete ramp acess to the beach at the end of the sea wall (Ocean View Rd). It was in good shape before this weekend. Now it is impassible to pedestians.

This is the park bench in the previous photo from a different angle - you can see where the retaining wall used to be. There are half rounds scattered all along the beach and on top of the walkway as well as the same kind of fence damage  we saw at Takapuna. Worse still the beach at the foot of the wall has some holes sooped out. The tide was too high still for us to get further along or to get down the sand to have a closer look.

This is a wave breaking photo I took in 2006 at the same beach access
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:01:54 am by ssweetpea » Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: