Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 05:57:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

High School dress code - no coloured bras!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High School dress code - no coloured bras!  (Read 369 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 28, 2009, 06:56:26 am »

Roll Eyes

STUDENTS at a Gold Coast high school are openly revolting against a new headmaster who is enforcing a dress code they say bans coloured bras.

Elanora State High students used social networking site MySpace to organise a protest yesterday which was crushed by teachers. Hundreds of rowdy students massed on the school oval at morning tea but were herded back by visibly stressed and angry teachers.

Some students claimed the principal had been assaulted while trying to enforce the dress code, and a pupil expelled, but Education Queensland denied the claims. The student protest followed the sudden death this month of the school's long-serving principal, Roslyn Wilson, and the arrival of replacement Jim Baker.

Students said Mr Baker had launched a uniform crackdown which extended to girls wearing coloured bras.

They said he had also ordered a cosmetics ban and kept face-wipes in his office for female students to clean off make-up.

Students said Mr Baker had "gone too far".

"He's banned coloured bras, piercings, dyed hair, and rat's tails (hairdos)," one said. "No one is happy about it. All the chicks wear make-up and everyone has piercings.

"It's way over the top and old-fashioned - that's why the protest was organised."

Mr Baker refused to comment and instead referred The Courier-Mail to Education Queensland, which referred the newspaper to the school's P & C Association.

P & C spokesman Bernie Reinke said the association supported Mr Baker's efforts to enforce the school dress code.

Mr Reinke said he was not aware of the details of the dress code "but I'm sure if Jim believes it's out (banned), then it's out".

He said students could lobby to have the code changed if they were unhappy "but I don't know whether they need to have a protest".

Social commentator and The Courier-Mail columnist Dr Karen Brooks said the students were "just voicing their opinion".

"I don't think they're hurting anybody," she said. "They have the technology to be able to organise a protest like this and I don't think we can stop it."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25115706-3102,00.html

Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:20:58 am »

Tinpot hilter suspect not long for job.....................probably a repressed sexfiend.
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
dragontamer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 07:48:39 am »

Kids rebel.  We all know this, so I'm constantly amazed at the uniform police.  While I agree with uniforms, I also don't see how forcing kids to all look exactly the same helps in the long run.  The number of kids who rebel themselves right out of school and into the legal system should be a red flag if nothing else.

I have no problem with hair dyes and whacky cuts, if that is how the teen wants too present themselves.  Same with makeup and colourful undergarments.  I agree that the outside surface of the uniform should be correct, but what is underneath and around the edges is the kids personal space/property.  They should have the right to present it in their own way. 

Piercings are another matter in that they can be dangerous.  I think tattoos are intensely private and shouldn't be done anywhere on the body that is immediately visible. 

I usually look at the uniform police as people who never graduated past the Barbie stage even if they have a nazi attitude to Barbie.
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:47:18 am »

When I was at High School.......um....... many years ago, there was always a uniform check, the colour for the jersey was supposed to be scarlet, which was perceived by some to be various shades of red up to maroon, with the occasion black one thrown in too. We were NEVER allowed to wear any sort of make-up whatsoever, body piercings apart from ears weren't even thought of in those days but we were only allowed to wear small studs or sleepers. Unless you were in the sixth form you weren't even allowed to wear your hair up either. However, these stringent rules did me no harm, and they wouldn't do these kids any harm either. There is plenty of time to express your individuality in outlandish ways once you have passed your exams.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:49:23 am »

Absolutely!
Report Spam   Logged
enemyoftheleft
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 09:11:55 am »

perhaps mr baker is a down blouse fiend and wants to check things himself Grin What constitutes a coloured bra anyway,as black and white are colours.Maybe he wants "flesh coloured",then in that case it will have to be white for the goth girls,black for the african girls and a kind of light  brown for your typical aussie suntanned bimbo!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

liquor up front,poker at the rear
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:27:52 am »

perhaps he would be better running a boot camp.
daily short arm and pantie parades
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 09:29:30 am »

I think the coloured bra rule is very wrong.

But make up should not be worn at school at all.
For goodness these kids are going to school not a fashion show.  
I don't even agree with hair colouring while at school.  Forgoodness sake why can't they wait until they leave school to do all the piercings and hair colours etc.
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 09:49:39 am »

YEAR 9-12 STUDENTS
Hair
No bandanas are permitted. No make-up, extreme hairstyles or extreme hair colours are permitted.

Jewellery
Students who have pierced ears may wear one stud in each ear. Other visible forms of body/facial piercing are not permitted. This includes tongue studs. Covering a piercing with a sticking plaster does not make it acceptable. Any tattoos must not be visible.

Shaving
Boys must be clean shaven.

“Regulation” (below) refers to items bought from ______________uniform supplier in _________.

Girls
Blouse Regulation plain blue with small logo (short/long sleeved)
Skirt Regulation blue tartan in specified style and length
Trousers (optional) Regulation navy
Jersey Regulation blue, logo embroidered
Footwear Black low-heeled leather dress shoes. Sports shoes, even if black, are not permitted.
Black, blue or brown sandals with an ankle strap may be worn in terms 1 and 4 only.
Socks Plain white ankle socks are to be worn with shoes, not sandals. Black socks are not permitted at any time.
Pantyhose Plain flesh coloured or black pantyhose may be worn with shoes, not sandals.

Boys
Polo Shirt Regulation plain blue with small logo
Shorts Regulation grey
Trousers (optional) Regulation mid-grey
Jersey Regulation blue, logo embroidered
Footwear Black leather dress shoes. Sports shoes, even if black, are not permitted.
Black, blue or brown sandals with an ankle strap may be worn in terms 1 and 4 only.
Socks Regulation grey only. Black socks are not permitted at any time.  

Optional for boys and girls
Jacket Regulation with logo
Cap Regulation blue

YEAR 13 STUDENTS
Students in Year 13 are not required to wear school uniform but must comply with a dress code. They are expected to dress in an appropriate manner and to a standard acceptable to the College. This will be discussed in assemblies. Beachwear is NOT acceptable.

Unacceptable items include:
• Rips, tears, holes in clothing
• Singlets, tank tops, jandals and beach shorts
• Offensive messages, slogans, illustrations on shirts or t-shirts or any clothing
• Girls’ skirts are to be of an appropriate length.
• Revealing tops are inappropriate.

Hair
No bandanas are permitted. No extreme hairstyles or hair colours are permitted.

Jewellery
Visible forms of body/facial piercing are not permitted. This includes tongue studs. Covering a piercing with a sticking plaster does not make it acceptable.

Shaving
Boys must be clean shaven.

If in any doubt about what is acceptable, year 13 students should dress conservatively. In all matters not specifically covered here, the decision of the school shall be final.

That is the dress code for our local high school. However there are some things that are not mentioned.
According to sp1 hairties that are not black, white, brown, or blue are not permitted.
Under shirts/camisoles/bras/singlets should not be visible (a problem given how deep the collar opening of the regulation blouse is on small busted girls).
Bras should not be visible through clothing (black or dark colours are).
Scarves, hats and gloves worn in winter have to be plain black or navy blue.

As you may have noticed there is no PE uniform (their was one when I was there) although given some of the slogans that have been appearing on some and the low cut nature of others some sort of regulation is going to be put back in place.

This school always had a relaxed attatude to uniform. When I was there six form (year 12) didn't wear uniform. The recent retrictions over head gear are a result of gang problems and the scarf restriction dates back to the Bay City Rollers!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:52:46 am by ssweetpea » Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
enemyoftheleft
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 09:53:17 am »

Pantyhose Plain flesh coloured or black pantyhose may be worn with shoes, not sandals.

I hope someone checks that they are pantyhose and not stay ups  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

liquor up front,poker at the rear
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 10:35:37 am »

If they're not happy with your bras, leave 'em at home girls.... Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
dragontamer
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 10:43:25 am »

Daughter would just put a jersey on regardless of the temperature so they can't see the bra .  It's bad enough she has past an E cup on her skinny wee size ten body.  She has just discovered pretty bras ARE made by a particular brand and she WILL wear them.

One of the teachers tried to help her with her search for pretty large cupped/small sized bras by telling her to go to the Bendon factory outlet because she got all her large cupped bras from there.  Daughter frowned at her for a second (and this child has 'the look' that says "I'm going to eat your liver") then said "But Miss, I can see your nipples". 
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 03:39:33 pm »

There is an assumption among bra manufacturers that women with big boobs don't want padding.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: