Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:41:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

R.I.P Zara

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R.I.P Zara  (Read 894 times)
dragontamer
« on: January 27, 2011, 08:34:10 pm »

Alicat has just let me know that sweet Zara passed on today. 

Our love is with you Ali.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:27:04 pm »

Ali, I am very sorry, take care.  Lots of love Tracy
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
guest49
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 07:33:34 am »

Sorry to hear that Ali
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:41:46 am »

Thanks.

Zara was coming up for 13 years old. She was the sweetest wee cat I have ever met. Zara was a Cream Burmese Angel. She was the mainstay of my little feline family. Zara was the one who mothered and nurtured the others. She was always the one who stuck close by my side after the hip and knee surgery dramas.

Over New Year Zara lost a lot of weight suddenly. She had no other symptoms but because she had a nasty bowel infection early 2010 and cholangial hepatitis (which she recovered well from) I took her to see my lovely Vet for a check up and some blood tests 2 weeks ago. The blood tests came back normal. I had suspected Diabetes because her lovely Uncle Sam (some of you will remember me posting about his antics) had Diabetes with no other symptoms than sudden weight loss. Her glucose level was normal though so we were very relieved. The plan was to do some more blood tests 2 weeks later - being yesterday to see if there were any changes. I took her home after Tracy had done the bloods and had only just arrived home when she rang and said that the glucose had gone way up and that her bilirubin levels (liver) had sky rocketed.They wanted to have Zara for 24 hours to put her on IV fluids and run urinalysis so I took her back on my way to work.

Zara had been frailer over the last few weeks but was really tired and quieter than usual over the last 3 days.

The arrangement was for me to ring at 3.30pm for the results, but I had only been at work a short time when Tracy rang and left a message for me to call urgently. The urine test showed that poor wee Zara was in a ketoacidosis crisis (on top of the liver problem). Ketoacidosis is a very serious complication of Diabetes.

They could have tried to get Zara through the crisis but there were no guarantees. IF they had managed to get her through they would have had the liver to have stabilised, then they would have needed to try and stabilise the Diabetes with insulin injections twice daily for the rest of her life.

Sam developed Ketoacidosis in November 2006. They fought for 4 days to save his life. He didn't respond then went into septic shock. Zara's chances were as bad as Sam's but with the added complication of a liver problem on top of it all.

I could not put my darling wee angel through that. I left work and went in to say my goodbyes and to be with Zara for the end of her journey. Zara knew how sick she was and looked into my eyes then gave me loads of loves and smooches and her legendary facial headbutts. She was obviously very unwell but purred right up until the moment her heart stopped beating.

I came here last night but couldn't post. Thanks for starting this DT.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:11:41 am by Alicat » Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 08:21:11 am »

Oh gosh Cry I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:06:12 am »

She was obviously very unwell but purred right up until the moment her heart stopped beating.

She loved you too, Ali.
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 03:06:39 pm »

She was obviously very unwell but purred right up until the moment her heart stopped beating.

She loved you too, Ali.

Zara was a very responsive wee soul and made it very obvious that she loved me. It feels like my heart has been ripped out. Holly, Yogi and Bailey are grieving. It has been very hard on them even though they could see Zara was unwell. Holly (Siamese) and Zara were inseparable and every so often Holly will suddenly started crying. It's heart breaking to see and hear. Bailey is looking after Holly and snuggling up to her - she washes her face for her. Bailey and Zara were close too so poor wee Bailey is also quieter than usual and wanting more attention.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 11:13:06 am »

Since I have the general board bookmarked I sometimes forget to check this board.   Alicat I am sorry to see you have lost a loved friend.   They take a big chunk of us with them when they leave.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 09:14:58 am »

I picked up Zara's ashes on Tuesday. I was okay until I neared the Vet Centre counter. All I get get out was, "I'm here to pick up Zara." The girl at reception was a little slow on the uptake - she's only seen me come and go from the Clinic for the last 2 years. She asked me if Zara was there having a procedure. I said she had been cremated. The look of slow realisation crossed her face. Poor girl looked shattered then obviously remembered.

The Vet who had looked after Sam through his crisis at the end of 2006 left a couple of years ago due to a family situation. The door opened and out she came and gave me a huge hug. She's back working there. They had rung her and told her about Zara. We talked for ages - well she talked and I cried. What Zara had was unsurvivable. I'm delighted Fiona is back - she's a fantastic Vet and a wonderful compassionate woman.

Even though Zara was always a quiet wee girl, she always had a strong presence here. The place is empty without her. Yogi and Bailey are doing okay at the moment, but poor Holly is still waking up crying. They were so close for nearly 13 years.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: