Xtra News Community 2
April 21, 2024, 01:38:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Sri Lanka

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sri Lanka  (Read 202 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: January 28, 2009, 08:22:15 pm »

A major humanitarian crisis is unfolding in Sri Lanka, with hundreds of civilians killed in the past two weeks and 250,000 trapped by intense fighting, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said.

The neutral aid agency appealed to government forces and separatist Tamil Tigers to respect the laws of war and allow the "safe and voluntary movement" of civilians out of combat zones.

"We are in an all-out decisive stage of the conflict," Jacques de Maio, ICRC head of operations for South Asia, told a news briefing in Geneva. "There is definitely a major humanitarian situation unfolding right now."

The Sri Lankan army seized the last major town the rebels controlled, the northeastern port of Mullaittivu, on Sunday aiming to strike a death blow to the 25-year insurgency, one of the longest-running in Asia.

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/humanitarian-crisis-unfolding-in-sri-lanka-2455516

So what the hell is this all about??
Any ideas?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 09:00:33 pm »

Civil war has been going on there for years and years.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:12:34 pm »

The Tamils, who occupy north eastern Sri Lanka have been fighting for their independence for years. Their military arm is called the Tamil Tigers. From time to time they are responsible for bombings in the south.

Its very sad, Sri Lanka is breathtakingly beautiful country.

Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:59:08 am »

Yep - civil war has been happening for them for years - now its escalating again.

Here is another country that will require rebuilding when and if the govt troops can sort it out.
Towns of 37,000 odd people have been smashed to pieces with hardly anything left standing.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: