Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:53:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

The Pavlova is Ours

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pavlova is Ours  (Read 141 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: December 03, 2010, 07:05:54 am »

The war for the pavlova has been won.

A new listing in the Oxford English Dictionary says the meringue-based dessert was invented in New Zealand.
Australia has long tried to claim it created the Kiwi treat, named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova who visited the Antipodes in the 1920s.

That claim has now been debunked after the Oxford yesterday relaunched its online addition, saying the first recorded pavlova recipe appeared in New Zealand in 1927.

The recipe was in a book called Davis Dainty Dishes, published by the Davis Gelatine company, and it was a multi-coloured jelly dish.

New Zealanders claim the meringue version also originated there, with recipes for it appearing in publications in 1928 and 1929.

The Australian claim centres on a recipe created by Bert Sachse, a chef at the Esplanade Hotel in the western city of Perth, as late as 1935.

Pavlova expert Dr Helen Leach of the University of Otago, who published a book called "The Pavlova Story", said though the pavlova was not what we know as a pavlova today the claim still stacked up.

"I can find at least 21 pavlova recipes in New Zealand cookbooks by 1940, which was the year the first Australian ones appeared."

Australia, of course, has tried to brush off the Oxford's ruling, ...http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/4418676/New-Zealand-wins-pavlova-war

Now, who invented the Lamington?
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 07:20:11 am »

I have never understood why people would claim fame to this disgusting stuff.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 08:43:59 am »

So the pav IS ours.   Shocked

That'll make all NZ hens happy

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Happy+Hens&hl=en&tab=nw
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
dragontamer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:50:30 am »

I have never understood why people would claim fame to this disgusting stuff.  Grin

It is gross, and I never understood why anyone would want it at the end of a meal, usually at the end of a day, when the last thing you need is to be amped up on a kazillion units of sugar.

Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 09:02:24 am »

my favourite pav is topped with cherries and grated dark chocolate
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
sickofpollies
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 10:36:15 am »

mmm pavlova mmm

I normally eat pavlova around lunch time (when I actually have it).
Report Spam   Logged

Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 10:44:28 am »

I use a little less sugar as I find the standard recipe too sweet. Very nice with a raspberry coules.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: