Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 10:08:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Mr Plod in todays news - v2

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr Plod in todays news - v2  (Read 5236 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 06:58:31 am »

Yak - dont try to assume my thoughts about the cops.

Ive worked with them for just under 10 years, Ive been arrested by them twice, Ive seen them from many sides.

IMO cops behaviour should be exemplary, and its far from exemplary - others can accept less if thats how they see it.

I dont have any hatred for the cops - I have a mistrust and disgust for many of their actions.

And what you seem to miss Yak, is that you are allowed to have your opinion and I am allowed mine, irrelevant of the laws of the land.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
guest49
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 07:19:43 am »

Quite Lovelee, but whenever I stand up for the rights of another, you try to cut me down.
Obviously we will have to agree to disagree.  I will continue to defend the rights of a policeman to the legal protection of which he is entitled.

As far as the rest goes - it was merely an observation which eminated from the tenor quite a few of your posts.
I can understand that if you have run foul of the law, you may feel less than charitible towards the police.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 07:43:30 am »

I began to feel less charitable for the law when my father who was in the force started relating to me some of the incidents that he saw, that wa in the mid 50s.  My next involvement with the cops was when I was 19 - Vietnam demos.  My next involvement with the cops was when i saw them at their worst - while I worked side by side with them in DV and CA situations for about 10 years.  My next involvement was last year.

It has never been in regard to my arrests that I have found them arseholes - I was guilty, admitted it and I am completely prepared to face up to my own breaches in the law.

I became wholly disgusted with the NZ Police Force during the time I worked alongside them, thats when one sees their own disgust for their position, they must be disgusted also, or they wouldnt act the way they do.

You might see it as cutting you down - dont - Im simply stating what I have seen.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
guest49
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 08:49:29 am »

OK, You have your views and they are to be respected.
Nevertheless.
This man has lawful rights.  And untill the commissioner of police is called Rohem or Heydrich and the police are directed from the Chancellery, his rights given him under the law of this land, should be respected too.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 10:37:56 am »

Police test easy, say children
4:00AM Sunday Mar 01, 2009
Anna Leask

A class of youngsters has cruised through a sample police recruitment test as embarrassed officials try to find out how a potential recruit stole the answers to the full version.

Police have yet to decide whether to charge the person who sat the recruitment test last month with the help of the stolen answers.

The questions were hurriedly changed after police realised the answers had been taken and circulated to other applicants.

Police don't know how many candidates saw the stolen answers but are confident only the thief sat the full test.

A spokesman said they were still investigating and the testing process was "rigorously" monitored.

"Any security weaknesses highlighted by our investigation will be addressed."

However, future candidates might not need to worry about going to the lengths of cheating after a group of youngsters breezed through a 29-question sample test on the police Top Cops website.

The Herald on Sunday asked a group of 12 and 13-year-olds from year 9 at Auckland's Glendowie College to take the 10-minute test, which includes five personal questions.

Twelve-year-old Diamant Pireva gained the top mark of 82 per cent, with a classmate and teacher Liz Tomlinson both scoring 79 per cent.

Three other students finished with 75 per cent. Pireva said he was surprised how simple the sample test was.

"The maths part was really easy, but I expected more questions about real-life problem-solving."

The police spokesman said they were not surprised by the students' results - particularly Diamant's score. The questions on the police website are clearly flagged as an indicative test.

"There are always going to be young people who do well in tests like this ... and maybe this boy would like to consider a career with the police once he leaves school."

The full test is 28 minutes long and, according to police, a little harder than the shorter version on the website.

Last year's 570 recruits who passed the full test - 73 candidates failed - averaged a score of 74.4 per cent.

The test is devised by Occupational Psychology Research Associates in Wellington.

Director Dr Paul Englert said the questions were based on cognitive ability and general problem solving rather than intelligence and personality. Verbal and numerical questions tested "crystallised learning" - which corresponded to education.

Abstract reasoning questions tested "fluid learning" - how people solved problems independent of prior learning, experience and education.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10559334&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 11:57:57 am »

LOL
I did it a while back out of interest.  I passed with flying colours and I think I recall being directed to an application page.
I believe the recruiting officer might be a bit taken aback at the sight of a guy in his early to mid 60's, creaking up to the counter.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 06:37:54 am »

Pressure on police alcohol standards

Police are coming under pressure to reassure the public that no double standards were applied in an investigation of a top officer who refused a breath test.

Some community group leaders have questioned whether Graham Thomas should be reinstated to his role as national prosecutions manager, which includes responsibility for prosecuting drink-drivers.

Mr Thomas refused a breath test after police followed him to his home in Churton Park, Wellington, in December when he was spotted driving erratically after leaving a police bar.

A community patrol report given to Johnsonville police reveals officers saw Mr Thomas parked outside a Johnsonville service station, where he told them he was "sleeping off" after drinking. His car was spotted again a few minutes later at the Johnsonville roundabout.

He is now on six months' "medical rehabilitation".

Labour law and order spokesman Clayton Cosgrove said that, because of Mr Thomas's high rank, Police Minister Judith Collins should ask for assurances that the investigation was carried out properly.

"This is no ordinary police officer. There's a higher issue, a higher level, because of the officer's position.

"I think it's doubly necessary to provide those reassurances, because obviously this officer would be involved in making decisions to prosecute members of the community [for drink-driving]."

A spokesman for Ms Collins said she could not comment as it was an employment issue and she had to respect the internal operations of police.

Police have refused to supply details of the investigation, saying there had been no written correspondence to Ms Collins, Commissioner Howard Broad or Mr Thomas about the incident.

Police human resources manager Wayne Annan said Mr Thomas was legally entitled to refuse a breath test, because he was on private property.

However, criminal lawyers have said many people would have complied, not knowing they were able to refuse.

AA motoring affairs manager Mike Noon agreed and said it would be questionable for Mr Thomas to be reinstated as national prosecutions manager.

"Many people ... wouldn't have understood that they could have refused. He knew that, and the public didn't. He was legally correct, but you have to question whether that demonstrates leadership, given the role he holds."

He was sure police would have looked at Mr Thomas's role, but he would ultimately be judged by the community. "The court of public opinion is going to decide."

Garth McVicar, spokesman for victims' rights lobby group Sensible Sentencing Trust, said Mr Thomas should resign from the Victim Support board and called him a terribly poor role model.

"If this man has integrity, he wouldn't have much option but to resign," Mr McVicar told the Sunday Star-Times.

Mr Thomas is refusing to comment.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4864609a11.html?source=RSStopstories_20090302
Report Spam   Logged

Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 07:02:20 am »

My understanding is that if he was followed home by the police then the have every right to ask him for a breath test. However, if the turned up at his home after a tip off about his driving, then he has every right to refuse. The question is: Did they follow him home, or did the arrive after a tip off?
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 07:03:58 am »

They arrived after being tipped off by a community patrol (I imagine they know what they are looking for) the second step though, that of requesting an evidential test was not taken, it is illegal to refuse the evidential test.
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 08:01:40 am »

They can request a test, but cannot require one Calliope, as the police were not in fresh pursuit.
It is not an offence to reuse under the circumstances.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 09:56:25 am »

that's what I thought.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 06:12:22 am »

Police accused of hypocrisy

The Government is under mounting political pressure to investigate why a top police officer refused to be breath tested amid allegations police bosses are showing hypocrisy in their handling of the controversy.

But police are warning media "not to rely on inaccurate speculation" over the actions of Superintendent Graham Thomas, who members of the public say they saw slumped over the steering wheel of his police-issue car, smelling of alcohol, before offering to call him a taxi.

Labour justice spokesman Clayton Cosgrove has called for the Government to assure the public that everyone is treated equal after Mr Thomas, manager of police prosecutions, was cleared of wrongdoing by a police investigation into reports he drove home drunk from a police bar last December.

And a senior lawyer has labelled the actions of the police hypocritical.

"They're very critical when people don't come forward with information or come forward with information that is false," Peter Williams, QC, said.

"They're always, and quite rightly so, encouraging people to act responsibly, respect law and order and be true and faithful in what they say.

"When you hold yourself out to be a member of that group and you do something that, on the face of it, seems to breach that, the word hypocrisy does seem to come into play, doesn't it?"

The Dominion Post can now reveal more details about the Friday night in December when Mr Thomas, a former adviser in former police minister George Hawkins' office, refused a breath test.

A volunteer community patrol saw a red Ford Falcon parked behind the Mobil station in Johnsonville with a man slumped over the steering wheel.

Concerned when they returned and he was still there, they knocked on his window and spoke to him, reporting they could smell alcohol in the car and offering to call a taxi.

The man, whom they said was white and aged between 40 and 50, declined.

Soon after, they saw the same car swerving and driving erratically and radioed the registration number to police, followed him to his home and waited for police to arrive.

The attending police knocked on the door and asked Mr Thomas to do a breath test. He refused.

Mr Thomas was within his rights to refuse a breath test, but critics have questioned whether he was under a stronger moral obligation to co-operate, given his position.

Police have refused to answer questions about the case because of privacy issues, but yesterday urged "the media not to rely on inaccurate speculation about the employee's statements on the night in question".

They have not said whether their investigation found he had been at the police bar that night, or when his swipe card records showed he had left the building.

Police Minister Judith Collins is distancing herself from the controversy, refusing to comment because it is an employment issue.

Mr Cosgrove said continuing speculation about the case damaged public trust in police and undermined their good work. He said Ms Collins must reassure the public that proper processes were followed.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4865868a11.html?source=RSStopstories_20090303
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 08:10:17 am »

if this guy is bailed to his home address and it is not suitable who pays for him to live elsewhere ?

Blunder on bail for rape accused

A man accused of raping a 15-year-old girl has been bailed to a flat 300 metres from her home.

The girl's mother said she was stunned and had not yet told her daughter, who would have to walk past the man's flat in Upper Hutt every day on her way to and from school.

Police have admitted they made a mistake and are doing their best to change the bail conditions before they take effect tomorrow.

"We just have to put up our hands," Upper Hutt acting area commander Warwick Burr said. "From what I can see at the moment, we haven't done things as well as we could have and should have."

After a call from The Dominion Post, police apologised yesterday to the girl's family and said they were working to remedy the situation.

The girl's mother said she attended the man's appearance in Upper Hutt District Court yesterday, when his lawyer said he wanted a change of bail address.

The girl's father told the police prosecutor the address was too close to her home, but the prosecutor failed to raise those concerns before the judge and the change of address was granted.

"We were waiting for him [the prosecutor] to jump up, and the next minute the judge had tapped his thing and said, 'Stand down'," the mother said.

"I have been in shock all day. She would have to walk past there every day. Every morning and every afternoon. It's just 13 houses away." She said the address was also close to a school.

The man, 20, is charged with sexual violation by rape, sexual violation of a child under 16, and two counts of sexual assault.

Usually when people apply to change their bail address, police check on whether the proposed address is appropriate and is not too close to schools or other criminals, and that it is acceptable to any alleged victims.

Mr Burr said it appeared the checks had not happened in this case. "It doesn't look like we took enough notice and didn't make enough inquiries."

He said police would appeal to the man's lawyer to agree to return to court before Friday. If that failed, they would look at what other legal options they had.

"The good news is these conditions don't kick in until Friday. We've got a bit of grace."

The man's lawyer could not be contacted last night.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wellington/2253275/Blunder-on-bail-for-rape-accused
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 01:29:28 pm »

Thief nabs police bike
11:06AM Friday Mar 13, 2009

Whakatane's latest crime-fighting initiative has itself become the victim of crime.

Police in the Bay of Plenty town are a little red-faced over the theft of one of their new mountain bikes after it was left unlocked in a park.

T he bike was one of two acquired three weeks ago by police to enable them to get around the town centre quickly and quietly.

However, the team is now down to one bike after an officer had to hide the other one he was using in a park on Tuesday night and join his colleagues in an urgent call-out.

In his haste he forgot to lock the bike and it was stolen from its bushy resting place.

"This proves that no one - not even the police - are immune to opportunistic thefts," said Senior Sergeant Bruce Jenkins.

Sergeant Yvonne Parker told NZPA the bike had not yet been returned but police hoped it would be.

She said the bikes were popular with the officers and had proved an effective tool for policing as officers could not be easily seen or heard approaching.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10561500&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 06:37:48 am »

Police chief's car torched

Two unmarked police cars parked outside officers' homes have been torched in arson attacks.

It is understood one of the vehicles belongs to a top police chief, Lower Hutt area commander Richard Chambers.

The two attacks took place within minutes of each other and bring to three the number of attacks on unmarked police vehicles in as many months.

The Police Association said attempts to torch vehicles outside officers' homes raised serious security concerns.

In the latest attacks, police said an unmarked Holden was gutted outside a home in the Wellington suburb of Wilton just before 2am on Thursday.

A second unmarked vehicle was torched in nearby Wadestown minutes later.

Police said an accelerant was used and they believed the two attacks were linked.

Detective Senior Sergeant Paul Borrell confirmed yesterday that both late-model Holdens were parked on the street outside officers' homes. It appeared both were torched by the same person.

Mr Borrell would not confirm whether one of the vehicles was used by Mr Chambers.

He did not believe the two officers were specifically targeted. "It's more the vehicles. They're readily identifiable as police vehicles to those who know. We're pretty satisfied it's not a personal [attack] but we still do a risk assessment of those people."

The first car was extensively damaged and the second sustained some damage to the exterior.

Detectives were conducting forensic examinations of both cars and crime scenes.

Fliers were also distributed to neighbours.

Mr Borrell confirmed that a third unmarked police car was damaged by fire in Thorndon in the early hours of December 27th last year but it did not appear to be linked to the latest attacks.

Mr Chambers did not return calls yesterday.

Police Association president Greg O'Connor said the attacks raised serious concerns about the potential for police to be intimidated.

"An attack on a police officer is really an attack on society," he said.

"If people start to believe they can get away with attacking society's last line of defence it doesn't augur well for the rest of us."

If police officers could not be protected, the public would not have much faith in their own protection, Mr O'Connor said.

"That's why it's so important that attacks on police, particularly in any off-duty capacity, be very seriously dealt with."

Police, especially those involved at the front line and with serious crime investigation, were encouraged to make sure criminals did not find out where they lived.

But organised criminals often had people working in banks and other institutions where they could access officers' private information.

Police were attacked outside of working hours "relatively often" but it was normally in small towns where locals knew where they lived.

The attackers tended to be disturbed people rather than the average criminal, Mr O'Connor said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/2260433/Police-chiefs-car-torched
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 07:23:50 am »

Rape accused bailed to new address

An Upper Hutt man accused of raping a 15-year-old girl has now been bailed to an address suitable to both his alleged victim and police.

Initially the man was this week bailed to a flat just 300 metres from the girl's home.

Her mother complained the teen would have to walk past the property on her way to school.

The 20-year-old man is charged with sexual violation by rape, sexual violation of a child under 16, and two counts of sexual assault.

At an earlier hearing the girl's family was in court when the accused sought a change of bail address.

Her father told the police prosecutor the address was too close to their home, but the matter was not raised before the judge.

Police apologised to the girl and her family and promised they would try to find a solution to the problem by today.

At 3pm, the man was able to provide an alternative address that was satisfactory to the girl's family and the police.

Rimutaka MP Chris Hipkins, who raised the issue on behalf of the family, today welcomed the news of the new bail conditions.

"The police badly let this victim down," he said.

To bail someone accused of a number of sex offences "to an address just 13 houses away from his alleged victim and very close to a local primary school was totally unacceptable", Mr Hipkins said.

"I'm pleased that a solution has been found, however that doesn't excuse the fact that the police shouldn't have allowed the original bail conditions to go through unopposed."

Justice Minister Simon Power has ordered a review of how the situation was able to occur.

In Parliament yesterday Mr Power said it was "unacceptable" and police procedure had not been followed.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2260015/Rape-accused-bailed-to-new-address
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 06:16:58 pm »

Police admit 'monstrous mistake' with mislaid camera

Police say they made a "monstrous mistake" when they left a digital camera containing hundreds of images of crime scenes at a Lower Hutt house during the execution of a drugs search warrant last year.

Police had later retrieved the camera, but not before Stokes Valley man Chris Kidman copied the images and attempted to sell them to the media today.

The images included dead and decaying bodies and victims of domestic violence.

At least 16 people were identified in the pictures.

Wellington Police district commander Superintendent Pieri Munro apologised to the people who could be identified from the images.

"It's of concern to me that the images were not in police possession, that the camera was mislaid by one of our staff. It's unacceptable, it's not good enough."

The police camera was mislaid at a Lower Hutt address on December 1 last year, he said at a press conference this afternoon.

An inquiry began the next day, and police were notified on December 4 that a person had found the camera, which was promptly returned.

Police were told by media today the images had been copied by Mr Kidman.

It was believed Mr Kidman had connections to the person who returned the camera.

Mr Munro said police were attempting to find the people whose images may be identifiable on the camera, and apologise to them.

"This is a mistake that my staff made. We're accountable for that, I accept that."

It was not as if any other person had seen or downloaded the images, he said.

It was the second incident of mislaid police property in as many days, after it was yesterday revealed police had left a restricted document with members of the Mongrel Mob during a police raid last month.

Public confidence was shaken by the two incidents, Mr Munro said.

"We've made two monstrous mistakes. They were unrelated, quite different circumstances.

"I'm disappointed, we are embarrassed as a result."

Mr Munro confirmed that following the camera's return to police, police prosecutors made a submission to a judge regarding a case close to the person who returned the camera.

Mr Munro denied that that the person had blackmailed police into accepting a plea bargain for an uncle facing unrelated drugs and firearms charges.

"There was no plea bargaining here. What did happen was that police - which is not unusual in a police case - made a formal letter submission to the judge. It was not a plea bargain, it was at the discretion on the judge."

Mr Munro was unable to comment on the contents of the letter.

Yesterday it was revealed that a sensitive police manual, containing details of a woman whose complaint led to eviction notices being served on Mongrel Mob members, had been left at a gang house in Farmer Crescent, Pomare, Lower Hutt during a raid on February 11.

It also showed the names and responsibilities of 50 officers working on the case, a risk assessment of the street, details of how raids would be carried out and the radio call signs police used to identify themselves.

That slip up was the second at Farmer Cres after Housing New Zealand was found to have released documents to those it had served with eviction notices.

Those documents included the address of a senior staff member and a former neighbour, relocated after threats and intimidation.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10562542&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2009, 06:21:57 pm »

so i suppose these two mistakes will be blamed on the National Govt ? 
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2009, 06:31:14 pm »

Why would you think that?  Its bleedingly obvious the cops fucked up big time!!

I would imagine they will now be downloading the pics off their cameras instead of leaving them there.  I hope the cop who left it is feeling bloody sick!!
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2009, 08:24:26 am »

Loophole lets policeman avoid drink-drive test

An Auckland police officer has avoided a drink-driving blood test because of a loophole in the law.

The Herald has learned Constable Matt Hooper - a former team policing officer - refused to take a breath test after being pulled over by colleagues while driving on Union St in downtown Auckland about 11pm on December 11.

He was taken back to the police station, where officers planned to obtain a blood sample.

It is understood that he asked the officers if he could go to the toilet.

He was allowed to do so, but emerged with a head injury and had to be taken to hospital.

A Land Transport Act technicality states that blood collected in a hospital for testing the presence of alcohol can be used in a court only if the suspect has been hospitalised because of a car accident.

It is not known whether police took a blood-alcohol sample from Mr Hooper while he was in hospital.

Police spokeswoman Noreen Hegarty said Auckland City police carried out a criminal investigation into the suspected drink-driving but, because of the technicality, there could be no criminal charges laid.

"However, he was stood down on full pay for the duration of the criminal investigation and returned to work on restricted (non-operational) duties in January this year.

"He is currently the subject of an ongoing employment practices and code of conduct internal investigation."

Ms Hegarty said that when Mr Hooper was pulled over, he did not identify himself as a policeman and complied with the patrol officers' requests.

The Independent Police Conduct Authority was notified of the incident and subsequent police investigations in mid-December.

The suspected drink-driving occurred two days before former police national prosecutions manager Superintendent Graham Thomas refused a breath test in Wellington.

This month it was revealed that Superintendent Thomas was cleared by an internal investigation but was now on sick leave.

Police Commissioner Howard Broad said then that Mr Thomas was legally allowed to refuse a breath test, but as a senior member of police he would be expected to voluntarily take one.

Mr Broad said the issue was an employment matter, saying this month: "We would take, and I do take, the issue of a senior officer who drinks and drives and then fails to apply with our code of conduct very seriously."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10563790&ref=rss

CUNTSTABLE!!   :hmmr :hmmr :hmmr
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 09:35:26 am »

Hasnt this been on here before somewhere?  I remember reading about it a month or two back. 
The herald journalists must be on strike.  I noticed their website was full of stale news this morning.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2009, 11:08:58 am »

Officer who assaulted partner may lose job
New 9:58AM Monday Mar 30, 2009

A policeman who was found guilty in New Plymouth District Court of assaulting his former fiancee may lose his job because of the conviction

John Michael Galvin, of New Plymouth's traffic alcohol group, was convicted and discharged without further penalty on Friday on three counts of assaulting his former partner, Calla Walters, a nurse, the Taranaki Daily News reported.

The court was told that in one assault, Galvin had grabbed her around the throat and flung her to the ground after they argued when she did not want him to go out.

Defence counsel Patrick Mooney said the conviction would put Galvin's employment "in significant jeopardy".

Judge Allan Roberts said the convictions were penalty enough because the defendant's job in the police was now at risk.

New Plymouth area commander Inspector Fiona Prestidge said the officer had been suspended since the matter was first reported in March last year and remained suspended until employment matters were considered.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10564296&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 12:33:13 pm »

GOOD NEWS STORIES NOT UNUSUAL
New Zealand Police National News Release
9:36am 31 March 2009
http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release.html?id=4974
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday's story of the honest woman handing in cash found is not so unusual Christchurch police say. 

Hornby Police had a large sum of money handed into the station on Wednesday 18 March and would love to give it back to the owner.  The money was found in the gutter on Waimari Road close to the Bush Inn Shopping Centre.  Anyone who lost money in the area can contact Senior Constable Mike Glenday, Hornby Police, phone 344 1800.

Christchurch Central Police are also delighted to recently have returned a wallet to an American tourist who lost her cards and cash.  She was equally delighted and has written the following letter.

Dear Christchurch Police,

THANK YOU! I am the tourist who lost the red purse in Christchurch on March 8. Some good person found it and handed it in to you and you mailed it back to me in the United States. It arrived today, with everything that was in it. I am so grateful to you, and to the honest person who handed it in. That would not happen in many places I am sure, and it proves to me what a great country NZ is and what great people you have there! I can't wait to come back and visit your beautiful country again.

If I mail you a letter, will you be able to deliver it to the person who found my purse or were they anonymous? I would like to thank them myself, if possible.

Thank you, thank you, thank you again! Words can't say how grateful I am!

Sincerely,
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 03:20:34 pm »

I thought for a minute it was a cop who'd handed in the money and got a recommendation for it.
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2009, 06:23:51 pm »

STATEMENT ABOUT POLICE BAIL GIVEN TO HAIDEN MARK DAVIS.
New Zealand Police National News Release
6:59pm 31 March 2009
http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release.html?id=4975
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statement from Rob Pope, Deputy Commissioner, Operations:

Questions have been raised about the decision to grant police bail to Haiden Mark Davis prior to the tragic death of Augustine Borrell.

In June 2007 Davis was given police bail in relation an incident involving the theft of a phone and wallet. Davis was involved with others in this incident.

The decision by the police officer dealing with this case to grant bail to Davis was entirely consistent with the bail guidelines in place at the time and the nature of the offending. The officer applied all appropriate conditions on the bail including residential conditions, a curfew, and an order that Davis was not to associate with the complainant or co-offenders. This decision was subject to review and subsequent approval by the court four days later.

Such judgements are made every day by police throughout the country. While it is deeply regrettable that Davis went on to far more serious offending, the process followed and the judgement made by the officer involved in the earlier case was completely in accordance with bail guidelines.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: