Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 09:25:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Help excess peaches!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help excess peaches!!!  (Read 358 times)
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« on: February 26, 2009, 11:28:34 pm »

Ive been given a huge box of peaches and cant think of anything to do with them?
Anyone know if I can freeze em whole or do I have to peel em all first?
 Roll Eyes
also I havent got any preserving bottles but I have got a few dozen ice cream containers, anyone know if I can peel em, blend em all up and freeze em for desserts or sponge fillings mebbe?
 Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:17:16 am by bumphead benny » Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nitpicker1
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 01:12:39 am »

blanch - peel by immersing each peach briefly in boiling water to loosen skin to the stage where it can be easily removed

Cut each peach in half and remove stone

Freezing raw for future stewing, sprinkle with sugar to prevent oxidisation pack in any conveniently sized container

Can peel em, add sugar cook em and freeze em for desserts or sponge fillings mebbe?

Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 04:55:44 am »

Thanx a lot Mits.....I had a go at peelin them but once opened I found a lot of them were brown around the pip...Im guessing theyre either bruised or been chilled and stored for a few weeks mebbe? Im still deciding what to do with them but thnax for the tips aye.
 Grin
Report Spam   Logged

donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 05:53:58 am »

Blanch, Peel, pit,  and bottle in brandy.
great on branbix for brekkie.

Ingredients
6 pounds small to medium ripe peaches
3 cups water
2 pounds sugar (4 cups)
4 cups brandy

Directions
1.Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the peaches and boil just until the skins loosen, 30 seconds; transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet and let cool. Peel the peaches, then halve and pit them.
2.In a large saucepan, combine the 3 cups of water and sugar and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil the syrup until slightly reduced to 4 cups, about 5 minutes. Add the peaches to the syrup and bring to a boil.
3.Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peaches to 4 hot 1-quart canning jars. Add the brandy to the syrup and bring to a boil. Ladle the hot brandy syrup over the peaches and close the jars tightly with the lids and rings. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least one week before serving. Store unopened jars in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.

Serve With
Ice cream or pound cake on on cereal for breakfast....................
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:01:53 am by donquixotenz » Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:19:48 am »

has anyone seen or tried the new "flattened" peaches ?
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:53:21 am »

Flattos?

Yes, my mum has bought some. Apparently the taste very nice, mum is trying to see if she can grow one as they do fit in the lunch box rather well and are a good serving size for a diabetic or child.

Last year she dried out the stones first and they failed to sprout so this year she is going to try fresh stones. If they spout it should be easy enough then to graft onto a proven root stock.

Come to think of it, if I can find a tree it would make a good present.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 06:56:56 am »

I have put the recipe for a jam using peaches over in the Crockpot. Pot of Gold jam.
It does have a bit of a marmalade taste due to the oranges in it.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:17:04 am »

History of Flatto Peaches

Peaches originated in China where they have been cultivated since the early days of Chinese culture. Peaches were mentioned in Chinese writings as far back as the tenth century B.C and were a favoured fruit of emperors.

Old-time Chinese orchardists treated peaches with such reverence that they could be planted only within the royal precincts of the emperor. Their peaches were classified in one of two ways: golden (yellow flesh) or silver (white flesh).

To the tribe of rare silver peaches belongs the mouthwatering peento (originally pan tao), the intensely flavoured and odd-shaped peach we now know as the ‘Flatto’ peach.

Called 'Saturn' Peaches in the United States, and 'Sweetcap' in France these peaches are very popular as a delicous and healthy snack. After seeing these peaches growing in France, Kevin Paulin of Alpine Packhouse, bought the rights to grow and market these peaches throughout New Zealand.

Branded as Flatto™, these Peaches will be available from Foodstuff Supermarkets throughout New Zealand this summer.

http://www.flatto.co.nz/

Recipes

Flatto's with icecream and caramel sauce
Flatto Peach Cocktail
Bellini Cocktail
Peach Chutney

http://www.flatto.co.nz/recipes.html

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt153/Newtown-Fella/peach.png

Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 03:02:24 am »

Gee thanx yall Im gonna stew em and bag em as instant puddums.
 Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: