Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 05:22:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Im sorry - flip that by me again, Mr Flip/flop Key

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Im sorry - flip that by me again, Mr Flip/flop Key  (Read 183 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 26, 2009, 05:15:40 pm »

Prime Minister John Key "believes" tax cuts for 2010-11 and will go ahead, but he stopped short of guaranteeing them today.

Mr Key made the comments while being asked about Air New Zealand chief executive Rob Fyfe's comments earlier questioning whether tax cuts were the best way to stimulate the economy.

The Government is holding a jobs' summit tomorrow as part of a set of measures to deal with impacts of the international financial crisis and recession.

Mr Key told reporters the April 1 tax cuts were definitely going ahead.

"A huge part of what drives economic growth is private sector consumption, so if New Zealanders have more money in their pockets its stands to reason they will go and spend that and that stimulates our economy," he said.

It was also not a bad thing, he noted, if some people chose to put the money towards paying debt.

Mr Key said several other governments had included personal tax cuts as part of packages to deal with the tough economic times.

"The April 1 tax cuts are going ahead, we believe that they will stimulate the economy, we believe that they will put money in the pockets of New Zealanders who have waited a long time for them and we think we are on the right track."

When asked about the following two years he was less emphatic saying "I believe them to be (safe)".

And "On the best knowledge I have at the moment that's not my expectation... We live in dynamic times; I wouldn't jump to conclusions."

Labour leader Phil Goff said the tax cuts should be dropped.

"The world has changed markedly since National campaigned last year on introducing these tax cuts," he said.

"The outlook for our economy has worsened significantly and job losses are forecast to increase."

Labour believed spending on insulating homes and encouraging research and development plus putting more into training would help stimulate the economy.

"Labour stands ready to support the National Government changing its stance on these tax cuts," Mr Goff said.

Mr Key said Labour did not believe in tax cuts - it had nine good years in which it could have delivered them.

"Which would have put New Zealand in our view in a much stronger position."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10558916
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:37:24 pm »

Anybody who is suprised please raise your hand now.

One of the reasons I didn't vote for national was because I couldn't see how they were going to finance the tax cuts they were promising. Cullen had already spent the kitty.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:10:17 pm »

I think I heard that they (National) also intend to stop the contributions to the Superfund. So those of you nearing retirement may find your super being cut in the near future
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:16:52 pm »

i dont call this a flip flop at all what i would say is Key is being very smart

when he announced last year as part of his election policy tax cuts he certainly didnt know that the deficit he was inheriting was $6 BILLION

bejesus you'd all be complaining in your lattes and Chardonnays if he pushed the country into bigger debt

some people are never satisfied

be dannmed if he does be damned if he doesnt
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:18:07 pm »

Hmmmm....now what was it about promises and superannuation involving the 4th National Government (1990-1999)?

Do past actions always speak louder than words?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: