Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 05:01:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Sally may have to loose her crown

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sally may have to loose her crown  (Read 2349 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: October 20, 2010, 10:12:58 am »

I have just taken Sally and Bobby to the vet for vaccination and check up.

Bobby is fine apart from being a little overweight. The great lump weighs 5.8kg! He was so laid back about it that he went to sleep in his carrier while waiting for Sally.

The news for Sally is not so good.

She was VERY stressed, more stressed than I have ever seen her. Her weight is low despite us feeding her as much as she will eat, she weighed in at just 2.8 kg. She may well have hyperthyroidism, she has all the symptoms apart from obviously enlarged glands but they may have been hiding. Her pulse was hugely elevated.

She does however have skin cancer on her ears, bad enough that the vet suggested we seriously consider amputation. The damage on the left one extends down far enough that getting a clear margin is going to be a close run thing. There maybe some very early changes on her nose as well which has previously been completely clear.

I will know more when the blood test results come back this afternoon.

The vet did test her blood sugar at the same time and expected it to be high because of stress. It was smack bang in the middle of the normal range so at least she isn't diabetic.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:35:10 pm by ssweetpea » Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Alicat
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 01:06:25 pm »

I have just taken Sally and Bobby to the vet for vaccination and check up.

Bobby is fine apart from being a little overweight. The great lump weighs 5.8kg! He was so laid back about it that he went to sleep in his carrier while waiting for Sally.

The news for Sally is not so good.

She was VERY stressed, more stressed than I have ever seen her. Her weight is low despite us feeding her as much as she will eat, she weighed in at just 2.8 kg. She may well have hyperthyroidism, she has all the symptoms apart from obviously enlarged glands but they may have been hiding. Her pulse was hugely elevated.

She does however have skin cancer on her ears, bad enough that the vet suggested we seriously consider amputation. The damage on the left one extends down far enough that getting a clear margin is going to be a close run thing. There maybe some very early changes on her nose as well which has previously been completely clear.

I will know more when the blood test results come back this afternoon.

The vet did test her blood sugar at the same time and expected it to be high because of stress. It was smack bang in the middle of the normal range so at least she isn't diabetic.

Poor Sally. I'm so sorry to hear she's not too well. How old is she now? Was the Vet able to give you a prognosis with and without the amputation? A general anaesthetic in Sally's current condition must be a huge worry.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:02:57 pm »

There was good news of a kind from the blood tests.

The white cell count was slightly lowered but that isn't a problem.
Some of her liver enzimes (not important ones) were a bit off and her sodium/(something) ratio was a little out of wack but all that is because of one thing.

The thyriod levels in cat should be between 9.8 and 45. Sally's was 190 which is as high as they can test. In other words off the scale.

She will be on a pill twice a day (I have already picked them up fromthe vet) and that is likely to be long term to life.  Once she is stable we may have the option of surgery on her thyriod gland instead of the pills. Hopefully her heart rate will settle down in the next month.

The pills should chill her out a bit and allow her to gain some weight and most likely solve the heart problem.

Once all that is sorted we can start deciding what to do about her ears.

Having to have them amputated was something we always knew may have to happen. She is a white cat after all.

At this point it is back to the vet in a month.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Magoo
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 10:28:58 am »

Poor Sally.  Poor you.   
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:44 pm »

Poor Sally.  Hugs to you and yours.  It's hard when you got a sick furbaby.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:43:29 am »

September 10, 2010, 12:52:59 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what has gotten into Sally of late.

This week she has been attempting to fish in my fish tank.

We have had goldfish for longer than we have had Sally and at almost 11 Sally is no kitten, in theory.

Yes, she has tried to get the goldfish before but not for years.

I am currently pulling her down from beside the tank 4 or 5 times a day.

Then there is her parrot act. yep, she will perch on shoulders at the drop of a hat and always has. It is the only time you are likely to get scratched by her.

Sometimes she just gets it into her head to pull a ceiling cat routine and get as near to the ceiling as possible.

Now we are used to her doing this by jumping up by the TV going along the mantil piece over the top of the pinter, computer screen, comuputer tower and up on to the pelmit which she then follows around the room and attempt to jump from that to the bookcase opposite the TV where Dusty the loud (cocateil) lives. I keep these surfaces full of clutter in an effort to deter her.

Last night however she did it in our bedroom - and got stuck. On top of the not quite closed wardrobe door.

To get there she had jumped from the bed side table to the tallboy and up onto the open wardrobe door and walked across the door frame before finding that there was no place to land on the bookcase and that the pelmit was too far away.

There she stayed - for half and hour - staring at us.

I wasn't going to resue her, besides she didn't ask either.

I was nice though, I didn't turn out the light.

Eventually she managed to turn around without loosing her balance on the 1 inch door only open 1 inch and make her way back to ground level.

The pills are chilling her out Smiley.

She has been napping as much as Bobby but the Sally bounce is still a bit there. We haven't seen the OTT loonytune behaviour or the constant getting up and walking about.

She is eating well  and still chatty, just not a 3am in the morning or absolutly every time she claps eyes on you!

Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:08:02 am »

I think Sally may have put on a little weight. She is still very thin but her pelvis doesn't seem to be as bony.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 12:59:19 pm »

Back to the vet for a recheck and blood test yesterday. Poor Sally was still very stressed out by being put in a carrier and a having a ride in the car.

Her heart rate is down but still high at 200.
There has been next to no weight gain. 2.7kg
Her T4 levels are lower than they were but still in the stratosphere.
The vet still can't feel her thyroid gland - surgery to remove part of it is an option if it isn't in her chest.

She will now have to have 3 pills a day rather than 2. Hopefully her appetite will remain good but I will have to watch out for any vomiting.

3 pills a day is quite high for such a little girl.

The good news is that she isn't holding a grudge. She slept with me last night and was back on my lap again after she had breakfast.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:44:26 am »

Good news.

Sally had another check up and complete blood test yesterday.

Her heart rate is still elevated (she hates going in the car or to the vet) but well down on what it was so it may just be the stress of travelling. She didn't pant at all this time while on the way to the vet or at the vet.

She has gained 300-400g in last 4 weeks. At 3.1kg she is still under weight but her weight will continue if she continues eating like she is.

Her test results for kidney, liver function and T4 are all in the normal ranges. T4 is down to 28 from 160 last month.

She will have another blood test in 2 months time to make sure her T4 level doesn't drop too low given the high dose she is on but in the meantime we continue with 3 pills per day.

While we were there and waiting for the nurse to be free to help take the blood the vet brought out another white cat whose ears she had amputated 2 days earlier to show us what it would look like.

Picture a cat with shaved half sized ears much like a lion cub with a line of tiny stitches along the top edge and you are not far off the mark.

This boy appeantly had ears that were worse than Sally's, bleeding all the time and very painful. A day and a half after surgery he was quite happy to have his neatly stitched ears touched and his head scratched and petted.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 09:34:19 am »

The damage to Sally's ears has slowed but not stopped.

She won't have them much longer Sad which may make medicating her hyperthyroidism much more difficult. It depends on how much ear is left to put the hyperT gel on.

Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 09:43:15 am »

The damage to Sally's ears has slowed but not stopped.

She won't have them much longer Sad which may make medicating her hyperthyroidism much more difficult. It depends on how much ear is left to put the hyperT gel on.

Poor Sally. It is just as well she has a loving and dedicated Mum to look after her
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 11:25:29 am »

Sally has to have her teeth done so doing the ears at the same time makes sense. Her heart murmur hasn't worsened and her weight and blood tests were pretty good. She T4 is still slightly high but that is a good thing as far as surgery goes. Her weight is up to 3.8kg which is as heavy as she has ever been.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 02:22:03 pm »

I have bitten the bullet.

Sally is booked for surgery the first week in Sept.

I asked if we would still be able to medicate her via gel on her ear afterwards and the answer is as Sally will have about half of her ears left after surgery we might have to split the dose between both ears. Phew!

As much as I hate to do this to my little white girl it will free her from the discomfort her ears seem to cause her from time to time. She doesn't like the top of her ears touched even when they aren't scabby and the tips are now visibly deformed.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 05:34:49 pm »

I have bitten the bullet.

Sally is booked for surgery the first week in Sept.

I asked if we would still be able to medicate her via gel on her ear afterwards and the answer is as Sally will have about half of her ears left after surgery we might have to split the dose between both ears. Phew!

As much as I hate to do this to my little white girl it will free her from the discomfort her ears seem to cause her from time to time. She doesn't like the top of her ears touched even when they aren't scabby and the tips are now visibly deformed.

Poor wee Sally - but something tells me it will hurt her Mum ore
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 10:08:48 am »

Sally had her tests and it was all set for this morning....all except Sally that is.

Damn cat saw me head out to the garage to get the carrier and lock the cat door.

we spent the next hour and a half looking for the damn cat.

Aaarrrgggghhhhhh!

She turned up 10 minutes after I rang the vet to reschedule...just as I was calling her damn cat on facebook.

She has since vanished again but I am pretty sure I know where to.

Monday - we do this all again on Monday.

If that includes completely dismantling Sp2's bed and the narrow divan base circa 1968 underneath it that is what happens.

Report Spam   Logged

AuntyRotter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 10:11:13 am »

I think you have a very clever puss.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 10:47:46 am »

That is not what I am calling her right now. Angry

I must admit that is an extremely unusual burst of intelligence on the part of the blond bombshell.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 02:25:39 pm »

That is not what I am calling her right now. Angry

I must admit that is an extremely unusual burst of intelligence on the part of the blond bombshell.

Leave the cat cage inside in a ho-hum sort of way as though that's where you plan on storing it now. NEVER utter a word about vet, surgery cage, car trip - you get the drift. Do not even spell it. Remember, she probably understands what you have been saying and has been eavesdropping on your calls to the Vet.

We used to spell things in front of Sam because he knew exactly what we were saying. Then I swear he learned to spell
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 05:27:14 pm »

The cage is staying in the laundry on standby.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 07:19:51 pm »

Basically SP - you just have to accept that like most of us here you have been outwitted by a feline - there's no shame in it
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 08:44:06 pm »

Once!  They can do it once.  But if it becomes a habit the human should hang their head in shame!

I have in reserve a very large dog cage.  It was Bentley's recuperation room.  It now stored under our bed and I fully intend using it if the burmese decide to go anti-vet on me.   Actually, Bentley may do that - he sulked big time on his last visit and kept climbing back into the carrier.  We ended up dismantling it for the duration just so we could finish with him.  Bella is much like her big sister... You're here for me?  Of course your here for me?  A bit put out at the jabby bits, but put Karen (her vet) well in her place by glaring up into her eyes and swatting the used vials onto the floor in one smooth, very defined movement.   That done, she obviously thought it was all sorted and went back to her usual smoochy self.

Actually, I'm 7/8th convinced that accident gave Bentley a bit of brain damage.   Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 03:45:26 pm »

Actually, I'm 7/8th convinced that accident gave Bentley a bit of brain damage.   Undecided

He had concussion so that could be possible.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 03:46:14 pm »

Bella is much like her big sister... You're here for me?  Of course your here for me?  A bit put out at the jabby bits, but put Karen (her vet) well in her place by glaring up into her eyes and swatting the used vials onto the floor in one smooth, very defined movement.   That done, she obviously thought it was all sorted and went back to her usual smoochy self.

A clone
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 03:49:51 pm »

Yogi has his favourite Vet and Vet Nurse - he's such a good boy for them. For awhile there they both looked at me sideways when I gave them a few 'facts' about their beloved delicious Yogi. He gives them both lovely cuddles.

Sam used to be the same - 'the perfect patient' - 'he's been such a good boy' - 'he's an absolute angel.' That used to always make me very afraid. There was ALWAYS retaliation. I knew it and Sam knew I knew it. The Vets used to be in hysterics when I recalled all of his retaliations.

Living with a Burmese? Your life will never be the same.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 05:34:17 pm »

Sally came through surgery fine and is now looking a bit like a polar bear and is proving to be a total incompetent when it comes to navigating with a cone.

She has an Elizabethan collar on and is not allowing enough clearance for it when cornering. The results are rather funny.

The poor little girl has had a couple of crunchy treats and retreated to the bottom of our wardrobe.

I did take a before photo this morning and will take some after photos when she has settled down.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: