Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 05:23:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

TV News Coverage of Christchurch

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV News Coverage of Christchurch  (Read 3091 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2011, 09:18:18 pm »

I dont give a bugger about the JAFA comment - I have no time for Auckland, its drain on the finances of the country etc.  Why dont they give Aucklanders an extra tax to cover all the stuff in Auckland that CHCHians have paid for over the years?

Check your maths on that, it's arse about face.

One third of the population lives in Auckland and that is more than live in the entire South Island.

Half of the population of New Zealand lives north of Otorohanga.

What does that tell you about where tax payers live?

TJ, did u expect the 6pm front people to step aside and not work for 2 weeks?

Well....I'm sure there are still plenty of Auckland news stories for that anorexic “me-me” Kim Vinell to report on. How often do you see her reporting things from the South Island except for when a South Island news story is getting all of the attention?

Anyway, I was merely stating the obvious....that the local Christchurch-based TV news reporters were doing a really good job until they were shunted aside the following day by Aucklanders who normally never report on South Island news stories. And I notice the Christchurch-based TV news reporters are still around....it's just that they have been sidelined into the minor news stories while the Auckland mob have grabbed all of the glory for themselves.

And I'm not the only person who has noticed that. When I'm working early shift (as I've been doing all week), once we get all of the early commuter trains ready to go out of Masterton and get the first one placed at the platform, if we have time we sit around the lunch room at Masterton railway station until the first train actually departs (the one I've been taking out all week) and discuss all sorts of issues amongst ourselves, and the topic of Auckland TV news reporters moving in on the South Island TV news reporters' territory has been brought up by several people during those early morning sessions this week.

Are you saying that all the overseas coverage should be presented by Christchurch based journalists as well rather than foreign co-respondences?

I am sure that Japanese news viewers would prefer to hear from one of their own rather than a Christchurch local with secondary school Japanese. Ditto for the Brits, and any other country who has a little difficulty with our language/accent.

Why do you have such a problem with newsrooms being based in Auckland?

Do you think that everyone who takes a job based in Auckland is some sort of sell out?

Guess what, the government imposed regional structure of TV in NZ died quite a number of years ago. The news gathering and presenting capablity of TVNZ in Christchurch would have been very limitied, ditto for TV3. It didn't take them very long to get personel and equipment from Auckland down there even when Christchurch Airport was out of action. TV3 crews flew to Timaru and drove north.

What does that tell you about why the newsrooms are in Auckland?

Perhaps that it is easier to fly from Auckland to anywhere else in the country than from Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch or Dunedin?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:35:52 pm by ssweetpea » Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2011, 07:18:46 am »

Everyone in the country pays for many 'services' in Auckland SP - I pay for the main Auckland library in my taxes, as does every CHCH person .. that is the kind of thing I was meaning.  However, the comment was tongue in cheek & devils advocate  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
dragontamer
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2011, 08:49:44 am »

I dont give a bugger about the JAFA comment - I have no time for Auckland, its drain on the finances of the country etc.  Why dont they give Aucklanders an extra tax to cover all the stuff in Auckland that CHCHians have paid for over the years?

One third of the population lives in Auckland and that is more than live in the entire South Island.

What does that say when one third of the GDP and tax comes from Christchurch?  Which city produces the greatest drain? 
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2011, 09:29:06 am »

What does that say when one third of the GDP and tax comes from Christchurch?  Which city produces the greatest drain? 
Regional Gross Domestic Product (1)                                 
Current prices                                 

Year ended March                        
         2000      2001      2002      2003      
Region         $(million)                        

Northland         2,787      3,106      3,370      3,243      
Auckland         39,518      40,277      43,301      47,689      
Waikato         8,930      10,119      11,087      10,598      
Bay of Plenty         5,721      6,134      6,551      6,689      
Gisborne         916      960      1,001      1,031      
Hawke's Bay         3,569      3,839      4,122      4,318      
Taranaki         3,743      4,600      4,678      4,414      
Manawatu-Wanganui         4,847      5,201      5,557      5,594      
Wellington         16,790      17,046      18,283      19,286      
Total North Island         86,820      91,281      97,951      102,863      

Tasman / Nelson         1,943      2,080      2,282      2,343      
Marlborough         955      1,045      1,161      1,193      
West Coast         662      755      804      779      
Canterbury         12,538      13,237      14,195      15,074      
Otago         4,344      4,683      5,127      5,411      
Southland         2,434      2,861      3,120      3,023      
Total South Island         22,875      24,661      26,688      27,824      

Gross domestic product         109,696      115,941      124,639      130,687      

(1)   Figures may not sum to totals due to rounding.                              
http://stats.govt.nz/browse_for_stats/economic_indicators/GDP/regional-gross-domestic-product.aspx

mmm...could that be something to do with Canterbury having a hell of alot more land therefore more agrecultural exports than the mostly industrial Auckland region?

If GDP is directly comparible to govenment tax income note the figures I found above (sorry,couldn't find anything more recent).

The GDP of Canterbury is roughly a third of the GDP of Auckland and the GDP of the entire South Island is somewhat less that that of Auckland.

Canterbury doesn't equal Christchurch however Auckland region not much bigger than Auckland City these days.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
AnFaolchudubh
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2011, 04:32:14 pm »

No one, least of all me, are denying that CHCH & its citizens are suffering, deeply theres nothing in the posts that denigrate that point at all!  The comment relates to the TV news coverage.  Cant sit and drown ourselves in sorrows all day everyday. 

That unfortunately is the ugly truth of it, what has happened in CHCH is a very sad and treible thing, but life goes on, it cannot stop for everyone everywhere, I wish it could but we have to face facts it can't and it won't.

I'm sure the likes of ferney will disagree and she is more than welcome; but as I said that above is unfortunately the ugly truth of life in the real world. Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
Ferney

« Reply #180 on: March 05, 2011, 09:20:04 pm »

I don't get you AnFaol.  Who said the world stopped. 

Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2011, 09:25:43 pm »

Oh No!
A Wellington reporter in ChCh on TV1 last night and one ChCh hometown girl now based in Ak
TV3.   1 ChCh reporter, 1 Ak. 

Tonight TV1 Two reporters, both ChCh.   
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2011, 06:39:16 am »

I don't get you AnFaol.  Who said the world stopped. 

Where did I say that people had said it, the world, had stopped? I was agreeing with LL's comment (and trust me that doesn't happen often) "Cant sit and drown ourselves in sorrows all day everyday. " And I actually didn't say the world stopped, I said "but life goes on, it cannot stop for everyone everywhere", big difference, in other words the whole of NZ cannot come to a stand still just because of the ChCh quake, would be nice if it could.

As for the auckland comment, yes it was a bit silly and really we should have it in a seperate thread about JAFAs, but thats TJ for you,

But, and its a big but, what people tend to forget is that auckland is a big city and it, like other big cities suffers from big city syndrome and that in turn filters out into the smaller areas in the behaviour of many (not all) aucklanders who visit for what ever reason and upsets the people in the smaller areas which give the rest of the country a stereotype of all aucklanders; If you live between orewa and the bombay hills to the rest of the country you're a JAFA, whether you like it or not, whether or not you are originally from there or are a newbie (many of them are the worst) and that is another ugly truth (whether you like it or not), the ugly truth about stereotypes.
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2011, 05:43:11 pm »

Well....now that the Christchurch earthquake is no longer the lead news story, it's interesting to note that the television networks' “star” Auckland reporters and presenters have buggered off back up north.

They've left the local Christchurch staff to carry on now that the Auckland “stars” have had their moment of glory.

It was the same in Greymouth following the Pike River mine disaster when Auckland “stars” muscled out the South Island-based television reporters.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: