Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 01:55:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

TV News Coverage of Christchurch

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV News Coverage of Christchurch  (Read 2821 times)
dragontamer
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2011, 10:52:30 am »

EQC tendered the process.  You can bet Fletchers are getting considerably more than $45 per hour.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2011, 11:08:56 am »

EQC tendered the process.  You can bet Fletchers are getting considerably more than $45 per hour.

Exactly!
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2011, 12:24:03 pm »

Clean-heating scheme slow to get off ground
DAVID WILLIAMS
Last updated 05:00 26/01/2011
2 comments

Only 10 Christchurch homes have installed clean-heating options under a government programme to replace earthquake damaged chimneys, with winter only four months away.

Homes with "significantly damaged" conventional chimneys can switch to clean-burning heaters or heat pumps under the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA)-managed scheme. The switch to clean-burning options is free to homeowners under the scheme. ...

...Christchurch Central Labour MP Brendon Burns called the situation a "dog's breakfast", warning thousands might go cold this winter.

Authority chief executive Mike Underhill said there was a "very good chance" the 4300 claims would be dealt with by June.

"Clearly we're not happy with the progress to date; we've had some frustration with that.

"But I'm happy now the brakes have been taken off and we're flowing."

Burns said yesterday Underhill was giving false hope, adding: "If he wants to put his reputation on it, then do it."

About 30,000 claims received by the commission involved chimney damage.

Burns said homeowners in the EECA scheme would have to compete for tradesmen and materials with others who had chimney damage who did not qualify, plus the usual consumers who bought heat pumps and efficient woodburners at this time of year. ...

more at

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/4580446/Clean-heating-scheme-slow-to-get-off-ground

others who had chimney damage who did not qualify, plus the usual consumers who bought heat pumps and efficient woodburners at this time of year.

Apart from the obvious "cosmetic"  repair of "Heritage"  properties where heat pumps have replaced the oldstyle fireplaces how come not all chimney damage qualifies?

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
dragontamer
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2011, 01:38:28 pm »

others who had chimney damage who did not qualify, plus the usual consumers who bought heat pumps and efficient woodburners at this time of year.

Apart from the obvious "cosmetic"  repair of "Heritage"  properties where heat pumps have replaced the oldstyle fireplaces how come not all chimney damage qualifies?

If the damage is cosmetic you don't qualify (ie, the flue is undamaged, but the bricks were). 

Plus, you have no idea of the red tape.   

I rang Ecan.  Other than the damage to our hearth and piles, the fireplace is fine.  On the other hand Ecan had it listed as being needed to replaced by April 2011.  That would have been organised in November/December, but for the earthquake.  We cannot replace the fireplace at present and won't be able to even look at it until both the piles and hearth are repaired.   Who knows when Fletchers are going to get here to do that.   So I informed them that they were out of luck.  I wasn't able to meet the deadline because of the earthquake damage, but nor were we going to freeze.  Any attempt by Ecan to prosecute would be met with stiff opposition and I'm not above using every avenue open to me.... including full media.  The lovely Ecan girl said if Ecan were so small minded and petty as to go after us after the earthquake they would deserve everything Campbell etc could dish at them, but just quietly, they've shelved the whole thing because of both the earthquake and the demise of the loan scheme - they can't offer an alternative, so they are up the creek without a paddle (her assessment).
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2011, 02:16:22 pm »

Floods bring wins as well as woe
By Anne Gibson
5:30 AM Wednesday Jan 19, 2011 

Fletcher likely to gain business as a result of damage but firm has had problems too

Australia's deadly floodwaters could be a boost and a burden for New Zealand's largest listed business.

Fletcher Building, with a market capitalisation of $4.8 billion, stands to gain from the huge reconstruction exercise, supplying many housing products which will be in high demand from the disaster expected to cost billions of dollars.

But a Fletcher executive said yesterday that the Queensland operations had been hampered and more damage could be in store. Philip King, investor relations general manager, dismissed widespread losses from the flooding but outlined problems.

"The good news is we have not sustained any significant damage to any of our plants. However we have seen business disruption due to staff not being able to get to work, shifts being cancelled and also interruption to delivery of inbound materials and outbound products.

"Approximately 7.3 per cent of total group revenues are derived in Queensland. Short term, we expect some disruption to trading across our Queensland businesses, but expect some pick- up as a result of the repair and rehabilitation work that will be required.

We do not have an estimate at this stage of what it might mean for us, and this won't be able to be calculated until final damage assessments have been done across the state and the amount of rebuilding and repair work has been quantified," King said.

Infrastructure and major industries such as mining, homes and businesses have been damaged across 75 per cent of Queensland and Victoria is now being hit.

Fletcher operates in its Australasian home base, the South Pacific, Asia, North and South America, Europe and the Middle East.

It has cited the rebuilding of earthquake-hit Canterbury and fixing tens of thousands of leaky homes in New Zealand as drivers of its growth, indicating the upside of disasters for its many businesses.

IN THE ZONE

Fletcher's Queensland businesses:
* AHI Roofing
* Fletcher Insulation
* Rocla Pipeline Products
* Rocla Quarry Products
* Stramit Building Products
* Tasman Sinkware
* The Laminex Group

Source: Fletcher Building

By Anne Gibson

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/queensland-floods/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503016&objectid=10700516

FYI, maybe old news, but seems to me that the way it's shaping, Fletcher Building is playing off it's flood and earthquake successful tenders/commitments against it's bid for Crane;

go google keywords    crane group takeover

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2011, 02:34:06 pm »

...Fletcher Building has launched an unsolicited takeover bid worth almost NZ$1 billion for building materials maker and distributor Crane Group in Australia. This would mean more of Fletcher Building's revenues come from Australia than from New Zealand for the first time.

See more detail here in its presentation showing details of the deal, which is being funded by new shares and cash.

After the deal 45% of Fletcher's revenues will be in Australia, while 42% will be in New Zealand. Before the deal Fletcher had 49% in NZ and 34% in Australia.

The deal, if agreed, would add 12,000 Australian shareholders, bringing total shareholders in Fletcher Building to 35,000.

Will the largest stock on the NZX leave the NZX for Australia?...

http://www.interest.co.nz/news/90-seconds-9-am-bnz-nz-below-74-usc-and-below-75-ac-moodys-threatens-spanish-downgrade-vietnam-downg

will Fletcher Building implode or will it be too big to be allowed to fail?

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2011, 06:14:26 am »

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/christchurch-geotechnical-reports-released-4010368

warm fuzzies

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=580326&topic=45
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2011, 06:00:33 am »

Scientists search for fourth fault
PAUL GORMAN Last updated 05:00 14/02/2011

Scientists hope to soon find a possible fourth fault site near Christchurch.

Experts are considering various hypotheses regarding the September 4 earthquake.

One GNS Science hypothesis suggests at least three faults ruptured in close succession, with a possible fourth fault – running between West Melton, Sandy Knolls and Burnham – also involved.

The generally accepted trigger for the magnitude-7.1 quake was a hidden, "blind thrust" fault lying at depth in a broad northeast to southwest zone close to Charing Cross.

When that fault ruptured, it activated the sleeping Greendale Fault further south, ripping open a nearly 30 kilometre-long gash across the Canterbury Plains.

Another blind thrust fault to the southwest of Hororata is then thought to have ruptured underground, followed quickly by what could be a fourth fault.

Satellite radar images, GPS (global positioning system) calculations and computer modelling showed the presence of the third and possibly fourth faults angled across the Greendale Fault.

GNS seismologist Dr Caroline Holden said she was looking closely at whether the fourth fault existed.

Her original model was that the 7.1- magnitude quake could be accounted for by an about 6.3-magnitude quake lasting two to four seconds on the Charing Cross fault, followed by a 6.9 shake lasting seven to 18 seconds on the Greendale Fault and a close-to-6.5 jolt of 15 to 18 seconds near Hororota.

"I am still confident with the three-fault model, but am refining it to be able to spot any major misfit in the seismograms recorded east of the Greendale Fault, where we feel a fourth fault might be," she said.

"One of my colleagues is refining the location of the aftershocks in order to get a sharper image of the faults involved in the Darfield quake and I hope to be using his findings in the next few weeks to place this fourth fault accurately, instead of just guessing with the seismograms."

GNS geophysicist Dr John Beavan is more convinced the fourth fault exists and does not rule out further faults.

His original calculation of the rupture sequence was slightly different.

He put the initial quake at magnitude 6.5, followed by shakes of 7.0 and 6.2 on the second and third fault.

He believed the last rupture, on the fourth fault, generated a quake of about 6.5.

Beavan had been re-analysing the post-quake GPS data.

"The next step ... is to see if I can tie down the fault or faults that were active near the eastern end of the Greendale Fault."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4652023/Scientists-search-for-fourth-fault

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2011, 07:22:04 pm »

Something I couldn't help but notice about the TV news coverage of the BIG Christchurch earthquake.

Initially, the local Christchurch-based TV news reporters working for both TV One and TV3 began reporting on the earthquake as soon as television coverage of it began on 22nd February, and from what I saw of it, they did a superb job of covering what had happened, including bringing in their own personal perspectives about what they had experienced (remember, that many of them were literally right in the firing line in the central city).

Then....the following day, the so-called “star” JAFA reporters working for TV One and TV3 headed down to Christchurch and muscled the local Christchurch-based reporters out of the way, relegating them to the minor reporting jobs, and that is how it has been ever since.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2011, 07:45:51 pm »

Something I couldn't help but notice about the TV news coverage of the BIG Christchurch earthquake.

Initially, the local Christchurch-based TV news reporters working for both TV One and TV3 began reporting on the earthquake as soon as television coverage of it began on 22nd February, and from what I saw of it, they did a superb job of covering what had happened, including bringing in their own personal perspectives about what they had experienced (remember, that many of them were literally right in the firing line in the central city).

Then....the following day, the so-called “star” JAFA reporters working for TV One and TV3 headed down to Christchurch and muscled the local Christchurch-based reporters out of the way, relegating them to the minor reporting jobs, and that is how it has been ever since.
you are right, wonder what it costs to have them ere with a broken building back drop.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Ferney

« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2011, 08:10:38 pm »

Hillary Barry did an amazing job for TV3 as the anchor when the raw footage was coming through live.  Have always thought she was good, now I think she's pretty fantastic at her job.
Mike McRoberts is from Christchurch and his brother helped rescue people so what you picking on him for.   One of TV3's ChCh  reporters on the first day was pretty amazing too though don't remember what her name was and had never seen her ever on our screens before.   The Utting one was totally useless.  She had as much skill as a dead horse in fact she couldn't even ask a question or say anything helpful to anyone.   

What you guys moaning about.   

My daughter is on the short list to be sent to Christchurch with a Police team.     Do you think that ChCh police should be doing all the work on their own ?  firemen, ambulance etc should be doing the work without assistance from others.   Its the same as TV.

Trust you TJ to come up with anti Auckland angle and at this time is sick.   Sometimes you totally piss me off.     
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2011, 08:24:53 pm »

I was thinking the same thing tonight, where are the local people.  But I spose some of them will have lost their homes and friends and are just too stressed to do the job.

However, if you watch all the channels as we do - u do see there are some of the lesser known reporters doing the mahi too.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Ferney

« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2011, 08:53:29 pm »

Well I guess some of them are looking after their families.  Schools and daycare closed, may even have had to leave town but trust TJ to come up with his dumbprick comments. 
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2011, 05:38:27 am »

I would have thought it was more important that the job was done rather than who was doing it.  There are a lot of important people doing very menial tasks here right now.    Perhaps you would like to volunteer to come and shovel a few driveways instead of worrying about who is presenting the news.  ( Like one of the local high school teachers, a senior man with a severe back problem, who has pads on the knees of his trousers so he can kneel and shovel into a wheel barrow and who has organised a team of workers who leave from his house every morning to shovel for hours.   
Some of us have given up watching the news because we need to focus on the future.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2011, 06:19:09 am »

Some of the co-reporters on TV3 are Cantrabrians.

Sasha (?) the red-head is from Lyttelton and she is doing personal interviews from around there.
Mike McRoberts

The old guy....
A blonde girl....

TVNZ and TV3 pay their stars the big bucks - so they should be down in Chch getting dirty and tired and stressed like the lower paid reporters.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2011, 06:43:08 am »

I also take issue with the Auckland comment.

Just because someone works in Auckland doesn't mean they grew up there. Most Aucklanders are from somewhere else, including me.

Many Aucklanders have friends and relatives in Christchurch or from Christchurch, again including me.

One advantage of sending in outside reporters is that they are not worried about trying to locate their nearest and dearest or trying to figure out what to do with their broken home or relocate the office.

TV3 have had to do just that - relocate to Addington. The TV3 building in the CBD has been (yellow?) stickered. That would have been a job for the locals.

Some of the co-reporters on TV3 are Cantrabrians.

Sasha (?) the red-head is from Lyttelton and she is doing personal interviews from around there.
Mike McRoberts

The old guy....
A blonde girl....

TVNZ and TV3 pay their stars the big bucks - so they should be down in Chch getting dirty and tired and stressed like the lower paid reporters.

Yes, the young blond girl was good, she should go far. Natasha Utting struck me as being one of the people quite understandingly rattled by events.

Are TV1's evening bulletins coming live from Christchurch? I only been watching TV1 in the morning.
TV3 is still getting close to half the evening news from Christchurch.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2011, 06:57:36 am »

Also .. the 6pm front people are still the 6pm front people.

News prior to that and through the day is being covered by others - locals and imports.

TJ, did u expect the 6pm front people to step aside and not work for 2 weeks?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2011, 07:00:25 am »

I dont give a bugger about the JAFA comment - I have no time for Auckland, its drain on the finances of the country etc.  Why dont they give Aucklanders an extra tax to cover all the stuff in Auckland that CHCHians have paid for over the years?
Report Spam   Logged

Ferney

« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2011, 07:42:16 am »

I dont give a bugger about the JAFA comment - I have no time for Auckland, its drain on the finances of the country etc.  Why dont they give Aucklanders an extra tax to cover all the stuff in Auckland that CHCHians have paid for over the years?

Another dumb arse comment.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2011, 07:57:18 am »

another person with an OPINION!!!

FFS Ferney .. you are not the only one here who has opinions!  That is mine!  We have god knows how many people in this group, and you will find most of them have differing opinions - some will feel the same as u on some things and on others they will differ.
Report Spam   Logged

Ferney

« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2011, 08:42:55 am »

...and my posts were my opinions.   You are not the only one here to have an opinion.   
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2011, 08:47:14 am »

Yes ... you are right .. however I have grown wayy too old to rubbish someone elses comments.
Report Spam   Logged

Ferney

« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:01 am »

Christchurch and its people are suffering and at the first opportunity you and TJ drag your anti Auckland opinions into it.   Thats dumbarse in my book.

Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2011, 10:19:22 am »

No one, least of all me, are denying that CHCH & its citizens are suffering, deeply theres nothing in the posts that denigrate that point at all!  The comment relates to the TV news coverage.  Cant sit and drown ourselves in sorrows all day everyday. 
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2011, 01:41:04 pm »

TJ, did u expect the 6pm front people to step aside and not work for 2 weeks?

Well....I'm sure there are still plenty of Auckland news stories for that anorexic “me-me” Kim Vinell to report on. How often do you see her reporting things from the South Island except for when a South Island news story is getting all of the attention?

Anyway, I was merely stating the obvious....that the local Christchurch-based TV news reporters were doing a really good job until they were shunted aside the following day by Aucklanders who normally never report on South Island news stories. And I notice the Christchurch-based TV news reporters are still around....it's just that they have been sidelined into the minor news stories while the Auckland mob have grabbed all of the glory for themselves.

And I'm not the only person who has noticed that. When I'm working early shift (as I've been doing all week), once we get all of the early commuter trains ready to go out of Masterton and get the first one placed at the platform, if we have time we sit around the lunch room at Masterton railway station until the first train actually departs (the one I've been taking out all week) and discuss all sorts of issues amongst ourselves, and the topic of Auckland TV news reporters moving in on the South Island TV news reporters' territory has been brought up by several people during those early morning sessions this week.

Perhaps you would like to volunteer to come and shovel a few driveways instead of worrying about who is presenting the news.  ( Like one of the local high school teachers, a senior man with a severe back problem, who has pads on the knees of his trousers so he can kneel and shovel into a wheel barrow and who has organised a team of workers who leave from his house every morning to shovel for hours.   
Some of us have given up watching the news because we need to focus on the future.

Perhaps you'd like to come up with an experienced Locomotive Engineer who knows the Wellington rail system good enough to do my job for a couple of weeks and I could oblige. I've just worked a huge number of hours over the past two weeks (lots of tack-ons onto rostered shifts, as well as working rostered days off) because they completely ran out of drivers to cover all of the jobs and if I hadn't agreed to do it, then some of the trains would have been cancelled, leaving commuters who had to get to Wellington for their jobs high & dry.

Next week I'm in the same boat, except that they have to book me off on Wednesday and Thursday, because I will have exceeded the maximum shifts in a row I'm allowed to work; but those two days are out, because I'm going to visit my terminally ill father who won't be around for much longer.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: