Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 05:26:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

TV News Coverage of Christchurch

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV News Coverage of Christchurch  (Read 2801 times)
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« on: September 04, 2010, 10:20:33 am »

Switched on TV just before 7 this morning and TV1 had Paul Henry being inane, 2 & 3 were showing cartoons. No mention of the Christchurch Quake.

But I think I know why. It takes a long time to apply the appropriate make up.

What is it with the regulation white line that News Readers have applied to the upper lips?

It makes them look like something angry from that stupid Iron Chef America bullshit.
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ares Abani
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 10:31:42 am »

I don't know what an Iron Chef American is but I can assure you that every natural disaster of any magnitude is on the air as soon as any word of the event is learned. Here where I live they shut down all TV programming if there is so much as even a threat of a tornado anywhere in the viewing area and do not resume normal TV until all threats are gone. We even get break in for earthquakes felt the slightest little bit.

I hope all the NZ folks are OK.
Report Spam   Logged

CS Lewis says in 'A Grief Observed'
"I need Christ, not something that resembles Him.”
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:46:06 am »

Ares

Iron Chef America is a cooking programme that we in NZ have inflicted on us through the Sky Network. This almost unwatchable garbage starts off with some screaming idiot doing Karate moves and there's heaps of histrionics and over emoting - all the things that really turn New Zealanders on - not.

In this part of the world we reckon food is for eating not for fighting about and especially not for squashing into your brides face at your wedding.

I guess my point is that our local newspeople, being aware that they might be seen worldwide, wanted to impress that they could look like CNN newsreaders as well.

Some of us arn't impressed by people playing dress up games.
Report Spam   Logged

DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 10:54:09 am »

Our TV coverage is now faithfully aping the American model.

My 50" Plasma is showing 'talking heads'.

I wanna see news not dickheads talking!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Ares Abani
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:02:38 am »

I'm never seen the cooking show myself and usually just turn stuff I consider shit off. Our news people go out in the mess and cover the damage and even the police take videos to show on TV while it is occuring. The also have footage from storm chasers those folks are crazy but it takes all kinds I reckon..lolBut that is local folks, don't know what they do else where really.
Report Spam   Logged

CS Lewis says in 'A Grief Observed'
"I need Christ, not something that resembles Him.”
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 11:10:37 am »

Switched on TV just before 7 this morning and TV1 had Paul Henry being inane, 2 & 3 were showing cartoons. No mention of the Christchurch Quake.

What is it with the regulation white line that News Readers have applied to the upper lips?

It makes them look like something angry from that stupid Iron Chef America bullshit.

As one who is close to a fault, didi, and responsible for the safety of my people, I get the alerts for quakes and Tsunamis.

I have learned that we get most of our early warning news from Sky news (In one case BBC tv) and Trade Me, and that is where I go for info after notifications now that Dazza is awol from the group.

See http://xtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,6833.0.html

This latest was also felt in Queenstown, and a longtermer here has a sister and her wheelchair-bound husband in ChCh. Their house has been totally demolished, lucky they not killed..

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 11:21:56 am »

Tv1 and TV3 broke were breaking into programming by around 7:30 when we switched on. TV1 started running continual coverage after Rural Delivery (8am).

Mr Sp took Sp1 for a driving lesson and spent the entire time on the phone and ended up going into work before 8.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
dragontamer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 12:59:45 pm »

We're ok.  House only slightly damaged.  Power still off.

Magoo's area hit worse.

Anyone heard from Brownie?
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 01:10:30 pm »

Radio New Zealand National was on to it.

I woke up at 5:50am this morning (I'm in a hotel in Queen Street, Auckland) and turned on the radio and heard about the quake. They had regular news updates every ten minutes up until 7:00am when they began broadcasting a special Morning Report with Kim Hill and Mary whatsername (the one who does Checkpoint at 5:00pm weekdays).

By comparison, the TV networks were really slack. TVNZ had a maori news bulletin running, followed by business news and they didn't even mention the earthquake.

I shot out the door at 9:20am to catch a bus over the bridge to Glenfield to purchase a camera, lenses & accessories from a place over there and the bus had Radio NZ National going all the way and it was still extensive coverage.

So kudos to Radio NZ and a big huge to TVNZ and TV3.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
AnFaolchudubh
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 01:13:18 pm »

There was one 10km north of Turangi yesterday 4.3

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
Magoo
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 07:06:46 pm »

Still having aftershocks.       There is a curfew in force tonight from 7pm to 7am.    We are sleeping downstairs tonight after that wild old ride.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 07:11:46 pm »

Still having aftershocks.       There is a curfew in force tonight from 7pm to 7am.    We are sleeping downstairs tonight after that wild old ride.

good to see ya, now where's brownie?

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Magoo
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 07:53:27 pm »

Hi Nitz.   Anyone heard from Brownie? 
Report Spam   Logged
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 08:19:09 pm »

will try and find Browines number.
My sister is in england but her house is ok but we have lost all mum wedgewood colection
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Magoo
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »

Oh no Kiwi.  How sad.   
Report Spam   Logged
beaker
Senator
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 09:20:04 pm »

Ares

Iron Chef America is a cooking programme that we in NZ have inflicted on us through the Sky Network. This almost unwatchable garbage starts off with some screaming idiot doing Karate moves and there's heaps of histrionics and over emoting - all the things that really turn New Zealanders on - not.

In this part of the world we reckon food is for eating not for fighting about and especially not for squashing into your brides face at your wedding.

I guess my point is that our local newspeople, being aware that they might be seen worldwide, wanted to impress that they could look like CNN newsreaders as well.

Some of us arn't impressed by people playing dress up games.

Have you ever actually watched Iron Chef America?  Yes there is a guy doing a few flips during the intro, but that is in satrical homage to the origin of Iron Chef which is a very popular show in Japan.

As a trained chef, I watch it every week and would take it anyday over Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen.  I don't get your gist about fighting with food, it is a competitive show that pits a top chef against one of the "Iron Chefs".

The white line you say you see on the Iron Chef chefs.... it's probably sweat.
Report Spam   Logged

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!!
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 09:34:28 pm »

Beaker i love iron chief it is awesome.
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 10:07:56 pm »

Here I am just struggled out from under all the rubble.

Actually...our house is great we never lost power at all and our water is fine.

Was a hell of a ride down the stairs during the earthquake though.
got my 14 yr old grandaughter here and her friend .... we all arrived at the top of the stairs at the same time ...they went first and both fell and slipped and I arrived on top of them at the bottom...then Mr B.   
trouble is grandaughter was already suffering from anxiety and was just settling down a bit, this has not helped at all.
her friend was staying one night but now has no home to go to so is staying a bit longer while her parents sort things out. 
Walked to the book shop at lunchtime expecting a major mess but suprising only a few books on floor and a couple of small shelves tipped over. 
lots of chimney's down around here , the dairy not far away has collapsed .
was really strange sitting at home watching the central city on tv could have been in another country except for the aftershocks we are still getting.
Aftershocks are coming in bunches every few hours now, the last lot were quite good shakes.
Wuld have been on computer earlier but it wasn't working...lol just noticed that the modem had fallen over and turned itself off. 

hope everyone else ok. 
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 10:20:39 pm »

Browine yayay you are ok, Blake was asking if the lady with the cool book store is ok.
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 10:41:20 pm »

Brownie

wanna wee laff?

#1 daughter, a Qtown motelier, is indirectly a casualty of the Quake.

She is famous for screaming from under a table during a shake, 5am-ish this morning I got a text from her daughter asking if I was ok here. She mentioned that her mother must have slept through it, 'cos G-daughter hadn't heard her screaming.   ---

Apparently SIL went out for the newspaper this earlyish morning to find one of their guests hurriedly packing to return home to ChCh. 'cos there had been a terrible earthquake...

SIL  hadn't known, went and told Qtown daughter, who promptly panicked, leapt out of bed, rushed to bathroom and fell over the vaccuum cleaner that she hadn't put away.

She has badly bruised wrist and a fingernail broken about halfway down the nailbed.

Report Spam   Logged

Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 10:52:05 pm »

aaaah more aftershocks ...
Give me lots of reassuring things to say to 2 anxious teenagers. After this many shocks I have run out.I have been awake since just after 3am. Woke with a headache and decided to read....luckily for me I had my glasses on and lamp turned on already.
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 11:02:07 pm »

aaaah more aftershocks ...
Give me lots of reassuring things to say to 2 anxious teenagers. After this many shocks I have run out.I have been awake since just after 3am. Woke with a headache and decided to read....luckily for me I had my glasses on and lamp turned on already.

Ummmm.

first of all, ya gotta pretend to stop being scared/worried yrself.

Then ya look around and see that they r lucky to be where they r, unhurt and able to help others less fortunate in the coming days, then in 30 years time, to be able to tell their grandkids all about it when it happens again. UMMM ?
Report Spam   Logged

Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 11:17:55 pm »

yep, done those and ummmmmm   
hopefully if there is not another shake for half an hour or so they will fall asleep on couches.
Report Spam   Logged

Calliope

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 11:18:27 pm »

so glad to hear that everyone is ok in CHCH. I experienced the Inangahua earthquake so think I understand what you are all going through.

Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 11:30:56 pm »

yep, done those and ummmmmm   
hopefully if there is not another shake for half an hour or so they will fall asleep on couches.

sometimes it is fun to eat an extra meal, have a hot milky drink then GO to Bed in full marching order, boots and all, between sheets. however whole family full marching on sofas is ok too.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: