Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 01:24:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

THE CATS

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE CATS  (Read 15718 times)
Alicat
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2010, 01:53:57 pm »

2nd childhood perhaps?
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2010, 09:56:55 pm »

I guess I could blame the earthquakes.... but some of it was just plain bad furbaby mothering!

Daisy disappeared under my bed after the big quake.  She would fly out - scoff her food, have a drink and fly back, then repeat the process to toilet. 

I didn't think anything of it because, as you all know, she's as crazy as a loon anyway.  We tried some sedapet, but that didn't have any effect on her behaviour and every time there was another aftershock all the cats were mental anyway.

So I left her be.

I figured she'd come out when she was good and ready.

And she did.  To cost my daughter $75 at the local vet and me $167.90 at OUR vet.

It was only partially the quakes... she had a tooth abscess, which took 3 of her molars and got into the bone.

Poor thing.

She's only got 6 teeth left in her head now. 

On the upside, bloods showed that the 3 years she was raised on dog food prior to us adopting her hasn't had a long term effect on her kidneys as feared.  Her teeth, yes, but her vitamin B levels are completely normal as are her kidneys.

Poor Daisy.  She's so much more friendly now.  (We think she appreciates that we took her away, but then we brought her back - that doesn't seem to have been a regular experience in Daisy's life).

She still won't eat the soft food though.  It has to be in the plate.  She will nag up a blue storm until it is, but then goes and eats the biscuits instead leaving the soft food for Jaz and Garfield.  Maybe gumming the biscuits is closer to the truth. 
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2010, 07:34:04 am »

Smudge used to manage just fine with dry food and she was nearly toothless.

It was tooth decay the finished her off in the end, her kidney function was so poor by then that she wouldn't of survived the anathetic Sad not that surprising at 19½.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2010, 07:54:00 pm »

Speaking of teeth ...

Yogi has teeth ...

Yogi used those teeth to bite his Mum ...

Yogi's Mum got an infected hand from the bite ...

Infection travelled into Yogi's Mum's knee joint replacement ...

His Mum ended up in hospital for 2 weeks and had to have part of the knee joint replacement replaced ...

She is also on 6 weeks of intravenous antibiotics via a PICC line that goes from her arm into her chest and is having 6 months (yes you read it right) of oral antibiotics as well ...

She is off work and being visited every day by the District Nurses ...

Yogi forgave his Mum for having to bite her ...

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2010, 08:45:10 pm »

I wondered why you had been so quiet and was sending supportive thoughts your way.

Somehow I knew it was something painful Sad

There are some nasty bacteria on cats teeth. You are not the first person I have known with an infection near the bone as a result of a cat bite.

It is something I bear in mind everytime Bobby decides to use his fangs. He hasn't broken the skin yet but he does like to air his opinion by snapping at my hand or chin on occasion.

6 months on anti-biotics, gee that is rough. Better than a PICC line however.

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2010, 04:11:34 pm »

I went straight to the Emergency Department at Hutt Hospital within 10 hours of being bitten by Yogi  and got IV antibiotics. I woke up the next morning unable to move my left leg - wouldn't bend, wouldn't straighten and I couldn't walk without support. My flatmate took me into Hutt ED again (7.00am on a Saturday morning) and after quite a lengthy wait the Doctor looked at my knee (didn't examine it or touch it at all) and said she wasn't concerned. She was aware I had a total knee joint replacement. I was sent away - no blood test, no x-ray and most importantly no knee aspiration. I spent the weekend in bed. I had my flatmate and another friend with me at ED that morning who were disgusted with what happened (or didn't happen!).

When I saw my GP on Monday morning, she rang the Orthopaedic Registrar then sent me straight to Wellington Hospital Orthopaedic Clinic. Within half a hour I had been x-rayed, had blood tests and a knee aspiration. Fluid was the knee was sent for analysis and once the results came back a very sombre looking Doctor came to see me and said I needed urgent surgery on my knee.

Following the surgery I had daily blood tests and regular visits from the Infectious Diseases and Pain Control Teams - they were fantastic. I spent 2 weeks in hospital on strong IV antibiotics then went back to Theatre to have a PICC line put in my arm leading into the chest. I've been on IV and oral antibiotics ever since and have an appointment with Infectious Diseases this Tuesday. I have at least another week on the PICC line but possibly another few weeks. I have to take the oral stuff (Ciprofloxicin) until April 2011 and read smewhere in my notes that once the IV antibiotics stop there wll be a 2nd oral antibiotic to take as well.

On Thursday I posted a formal letter of complaint against Hutt Hospital ED to the CEO and Chairman of the Board. If the treatment to the knee infection (septic arthritis) had started on that Saturday morning it is unlikely I would have needed the horrible surgery I had to have. 48 hours was wasted.

Antibiotics always make me feel sick so I am on some anti-emetics for that. They work sometimes.

The District Nurses are fantastic. They come here every day around midday to change the bag of antibiotics and to check the wounds, change the dressing etc.

One of the Nurses is a lovely guy who Bailey has fallen for. She is such a tart. She gave him one of her extra special facial smooches earlier in the week. He loves cats and was very taken with Bailey.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2010, 10:40:31 am »

I'm so sorry you have to suffer my friend.   I may be able to swing a short visit in mid November, but can't make any promises.

As for Bailey - I can't imagine the type of person who wouldn't instantly fall in love with the tart.  If they are out there I have no desire to meet them.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #182 on: December 21, 2010, 10:30:56 pm »

As most of your know Daisy is a complete bully to Jaz, Garfield and the dogs. 

Sight of the week was her running around the end of my bed with one paw raised ready to belt Jaz..... who was actually on top of the bed.  Well she was until she landed on Daisy's head.

Oh the kerfuffle.

SCORE.... Jaz 1, Daisy 0.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2010, 10:47:27 am »

We having a bit of that round here too.

Bobby has unseated Sally from the top of the pecking order. He likes to remind her of this by whacking her tail as she goes passed. He doesn't try whacking the frontend as Sally has no trouble out reaching him. He has managed to draw blood on poor Sally's ears so Sally tends to backdown these days.

The result of this is they will share the bed (our bed that is) - that is something Sally has never allowed before.

However Bob tried to pull one over her yesterday and hastle her off the bed.

It didn't work. Sally had the Bob Squad in full retreat and he thumped up the hall yowling his disgust.

I just wish it was 4:30am at the time.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2010, 06:56:22 am »

Bobby looks soooooooo innocent. Good on Sally for sticking up for herself. It's funny watching the feline antics and how the pecking order evolves.

When Sam died late 2006, Yogi thought that as the heir apparent he would take over as head of the pride. Neither Holly nor Zara would let him and he didn't cope very well with that at all. Zara is a quiet sweet wee girl but she'd take just so much of Yogi 'upsetting' Her Regalness (Holly) then go and sort him out. It would usually be something that built up over a few days. Once Zara had enough of his behaviour, she'd go after him and not stop until she had let him know that his behaviour was unacceptable.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2011, 03:26:34 pm »

It has been the Sally and Bobby show round here the last few days.

I managed to sucessfully collar Bobby just before Christmas.

Last week he managed to remove it by getting caught up in some prunings. I found it still done up and put it back on.

Bobby has been sneeking up on Sally and nipping the end of her tail.

Sally has been wacking him around the face in reponse. She has removed his collar by undoing the buckle twice while giving him a thick ear.

Bobby caught a sparrow yesterday Angry. Sally got it off him and ate it right in front of him. The look on his face was classic.

Oh yes, Sally can punch. Bobby gets punched if he walks too close to the laundry basket if she is in it.

The really funny part is our 'third' cat. An old thin longhaired tabby from across the road has become a frequent visitor, every meal time and then some. Our cats tolerate him/her. Bobby tries to be the boss but Tabby just ignores him which gets Bobby all flustered. Sally takes avantage of that to give Bobby another flying punch to the nose followed by a quick exit.
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2011, 08:52:40 pm »

Garfield was just sitting in my lap giving me kisses.

Flo was jealous.

Her solution?

To sit on my feet and look beside me.  No amount of coaxing would get her to look AT me. 

Silly dog. lol
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2011, 07:57:37 am »

I don't know what has gotten into my cats this morning.

Bobby put on a more spacktacular than usually display on the scratch pole followed by some fancy two foot dancing while chasing a ribbon. Since Bobby is only 2 and still weighs in at a fluffy 5+kg you can imagine how silly that looks.

Sally has been chasing anything she thinks might move. She started before 7am and has only had a 30 minute nap break after her "chill pill" before starting to murder a power cord, the rug, a clothes peg, a rock, a screwdriver....she is skating up and down the end of the rug on her side again as I type. She is 11 years old for goodness sake!

O oh, now Bobby has the clothes peg and is eyeballing Sally...who just shot out the cat door..
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2011, 02:11:21 pm »

Oooooh....now this was a REAL domestic, and on a first date too!   Shocked

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/4864759/Fur-flies-as-lions-first-date-proves-a-knockout
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
ssweetpea

« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2011, 01:31:00 pm »

Do you know how hard it is to study when there is a Sally white cat sitting on the open page of your ringbinder, purring and merrowing?

Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2011, 12:55:26 pm »

Jaz flirting with our next door neighbour

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2011, 10:17:17 pm »

awwww cute

Just came home to further evidence of Bobby's ...err... dofussness.

Heather had a bath.
Bobby decided to sit on the edge of the bath.
Bobby thinks that the bathroom is his own personal drinking fountain. The tooth mug being the prefered vessel.
It was empty.
He decided to have a drink from the bath instead.

...and fell in
Bobby is not scared of water, not very anyway.
He did climb out fairly quickly apparently but didn't scratch Heather as he didn't rush.
Then he proceeded to sit on the edge of the bath and try and get a drink.
Heather took pity and filled the mug for him this time.

He does look very silly with a wet tail and tummy fluff and legs.
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2011, 10:28:14 pm »

He did better than Mo then.  Mo used to sit on the edge of the bath while I was in it.  Not the kids.  Not Mr DT.  Just me. 

I have a full bath and I like my baths hot - not scalding, but I'm not into tepid either.

One of the kids came running through the door, the door banged the edge of the bath.  Mo fell in.

He totally shredded my leg getting back out.

They dried him off immediately and other than being very pissed off, he was fine.  The bath can't have been as hot as I thought after all.

He took to sitting on the vanity after that.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2011, 11:57:36 am »

I took Sally up to the vet today for her two monthly blood test and check up.

Not a happy kitty. She hates going in the carrier and hates the van even more.

After listening to her get herself worked up to the point of panting on the trip home she headed for the hills.

She did come when I called her. She is still haranging me from a distance. I can't get a hand near her.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2011, 10:49:34 am »

Bobby was out in the garden with Sally and me.

Bob was staring at a particular spot under the paper whites for over 10 minutes...I think my rat in the ceiling suspicion just got confirmed and solved.

Fluff for brains just spent half hour carrying a large rat around with Sally trailing behind with great interest.

Good Bobby!

Report Spam   Logged

wgtngirl
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2011, 03:01:47 pm »

We have scored another cat.  Oldest son and his girlfriend bought a kitten and she lives at our place.  Cute little thing, tortoiseshell.  But we are back to using a litter tray.... blerk.  So we now have Daxter (the fluffball), Emo (black cat no 1), Darth Vader (black cat no 2), Ninja (the 7kg ginger monster) and Ellie (8 week old oh so cute kitten).
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2011, 09:48:31 pm »

Ninja the Ginger? When did you get him?

7kg - and I though Bobby was heavy. Fluff Bob Fur Pants only weighs in a 5.6kg. Sally is only just over half that.
Report Spam   Logged

wgtngirl
« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2011, 02:50:24 pm »

Ninja is a stray who turned up shortly after Jazzi died.  We tried to find his owner but to no avail so he became a member of the family.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2011, 09:08:05 am »

It must have been cold last night.

Not only was Sally ensconced on top of the blankets in the hollow between Mr Sp's arm and body or on top of him if he turned over as per usual but Bobby arrived on my side of the bed and did the something (between my arm and body) and Sally didn't kick him off.

Sally has done to Bobby the same thing she did to Smudge and Minnie. The master bedroom is HER room, any cat trespasser gets an ear whacking.

The really funny thing is they are both up on Sp's bed, Bob leaning on the pillow half under the blanket and Sally a couple of feet away on the crochet blanket.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2011, 12:51:17 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: