Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:18:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

THE CATS

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE CATS  (Read 15688 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »

This morning it was off to the vet with Bobby.

Yesterday we found an absess on his chest and last night it burst.

Fortunatly for my bank account it does seem to have cleaned itself out and is self draining so it is just pills for the next week. Smiley...

...and he will have to have his teeth done in the next 3 months Sad

Now I remember why I didn't want another long haired cat - it was nothing to do with grooming and everything to do with dental care.

At least Bobby doesn't think anything that isn't cat biscuits is eatible. He and his delecate disgestive tract are now on a steady diet of Purena senitive systems as is Sally due to his communal approach to food dishes.

Sally is a very happy cat.

She likes her new diet and better still repeated sneak attacks with the phantom paw have made Bobby too scared to walk past her least she be offended and swipe him again.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2010, 07:44:53 pm »

SP - how's Bobby doing? Any more dramas?
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2010, 05:41:15 pm »

Bobby is the first cat I have ever owned that I could get a pill into without resorting to hiding it in food.

One of Mr sp's co-workers breeds Siamese. He thinks, after seeing several photos and asking about behaviour, that Bobby is possibly a Ragdoll cross.

The nose blaze and eye colour are wrong. The build, coat length and paws are right as is the way he just flops when picked up.

His blue coat with a total lack of tabby markings indecates that pedigree is probably not too far back in his breeding.

Bobby is just so easy to set up. Lucky for him the girls are beyond dressing up dolls.

This is a photo Mr sp took to spice up one of his reports:

How many cats would you be willing to clip a Bluetooth headset to?
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2010, 05:16:06 pm »

What a stunning photo SP - that would be well worth sending in to Photo Competitions. Being part Ragdoll would certainly make sense from both looking at him and his personality.

He's one very very gorgeous looking boy.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2010, 12:09:13 pm »

Cheetahs swim for freedom

By IAN STEWARD - The Press | 5:00AM - Friday, 05 February 2010

CATS ON THE LOOSE: Orana Wildlife Park's cheetahs enter a moat around their enclosure. — Photo: BARB TAME.

CATS ON THE LOOSE: Orana Wildlife Park's cheetahs enter
a moat around their enclosure. — Photo: BARB TAME.

Three cheetahs escaped from their enclosure and roamed in the public area for half an hour at Christchurch's Orana Wildlife Park.

No-one was hurt, but Orana chief executive Lynn Anderson described yesterday's breach as "the most serious incident we've ever had".

Lucy Tame, 25, of Christchurch, and her mother, Margaret Tame, took photographs as the three male cats broke with usual behaviour and swam across the moat around the edge of their enclosure about 12.30pm yesterday.

"They swam across and sat next to the fence about one or two metres away from us," Lucy Tame said.

The animals' proximity seemed unusual.

The women felt uncomfortable, so they left and boarded a zoo shuttle.

"The next thing we knew they were running across in front of the shuttle," she said.

Anderson said that the shuttle driver had told park rangers the cheetahs were loose in the park, triggering emergency lockdown procedures.

All visitors were taken to safe places, and keepers were sent to catch the animals, along with a veterinarian with a tranquilliser gun, but the cheetahs were able to be shepherded into their enclosure without incident, she said.

"If they had looked like breaching the boundary fence, we would have shot to kill."

Anderson said the three cheetahs had been born and raised at the park and had always avoided water. The enclosure fence was being fixed and an undetected hole had been made that the cheetahs found, she said.

"We're discussing what would have been the motivator when these particular cats don't like water."

It was unusual that the cats had swum for the first time on the day that the fence was able to be breached. They were not trying to escape the park. She was glad there were witnesses to the swim as staff would have been left wondering how the cheetahs had got across. The cheetahs were well fed and posed little danger to people, she said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/3295434/Cheetahs-swim-for-freedom

Orana fence hazard known

By SAM SACHDEVA - The Press | 5:00AM - Saturday, 06 February 2010

The fence through which three cheetahs escaped at Christchurch's Orana Wildlife Park had been identified as a risk and was about to be repaired, the park says.

The cheetahs escaped through a hole in the fence on Thursday after swimming across a moat in their enclosure.

The animals roamed the park's public area for half an hour before being shepherded into an enclosure.

Orana chief executive Lynn Anderson said yesterday that the park was taking the incident "very, very seriously".

The Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF) is also investigating and will meet park staff on Monday.

Anderson said an internal audit in December identified the cheetah fence, which was more than 20 years old, as a concern.

Greenery had been cleared from around the enclosure and the park had planned to replace the bottom half of the fence. The removal of the vegetation uncovered the hole, but it was was not noticed by staff.

"That's the sad irony of it all — we knew that [the fence] was a problem and we were going to fix it," Anderson said.

She said the escape had revealed several areas that needed to be improved, including a lack of communication between staff.

"The fence had been identified as a potential risk and we just needed to get in there and repair it in one shot, rather than waiting until after the greenery was removed."

She was happy with the security of other enclosures.

A MAF Biosecurity New Zealand spokeswoman said it was too early to say what penalties the park might face as a result of the escape.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch/3299149/Orana-fence-hazard-known
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
dragontamer
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2010, 08:27:30 pm »

It's mean, but its so damned easy to do.

Garfield was on the laundry window sill (outside) demanding to come in.  So I went to the back door and he ran to the end of the windowsill nearest the door.  But then I opened the window behind him, just 1 cm though.  So he backed up and stuck his tail through the gap.

So I twiddled his tail (which he HATES).

So he went back to the door end of the sill.

So I opened the window another centimetre.

So he backed up and this time stuck his rear left leg through.

So I twiddled that.

So he spat the dummy and tried reversing back through a gap he was never going to get through, while hissing at me.  (You've got to visualise a long, lean ginger rear leg waving around madly trying to get purchase).

So I went back to the door and opened that and asked him what he was doing.

He was so pissy at me he stayed put in the window.  I had to open it far enough for him to back in fully because he refused to come forward, out of his predicament to come in the door.

I'm putting all my 'stuff' away tonight before I go to bed.  He can piss on Mr DT's stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2010, 12:12:15 pm »

I'm putting all my 'stuff' away tonight before I go to bed.  He can piss on Mr DT's stuff.

Sounds fair enough to me. If someone has to pay the price for the offence, it may as well be Mr DT and not you
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2010, 09:10:36 pm »

I see I am going to have to upload Bobby's "derailment".

Picture a fluff monster trying to get out of a window that won't open any further by sticking all four feet out at the same time.

Sally the 2D cat can do it, Bobby the log can not and can't figure out why.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2010, 07:14:54 am »

Poor Bobby. Foiled by security stays.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2010, 07:50:08 am »

Maybe Bobby and Garfield should get together and compare notes?
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2010, 11:59:03 am »

Wouldn't that be a case of Dumb and Dumber?

I used to think Sally was low on the IQ scale but then I met Bob Roll Eyes

I only manged to take those photos because Bobby was well and truely stuck. He managed to get that back leg down onto the clothes horse and when the other leg wouldn't quite  reach tried to the front legs down as well before figuring out that his body couldn't fit through the gap and he didn't have enough leverage to climb back up.

At least DT's Garfield wasn't THAT silly.
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2010, 08:45:40 am »

Jaz was just sitting on top of the printer/scanner.  She must have touched a button as it booted up.  She jumped off the top and is now at the front with both paws buried in the guts of it, glaring at the machine ready to shred anything that moves.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2010, 08:11:21 pm »

Jaz was just sitting on top of the printer/scanner.  She must have touched a button as it booted up.  She jumped off the top and is now at the front with both paws buried in the guts of it, glaring at the machine ready to shred anything that moves.

Might pay to have a camera around next time you use the printer - especially if Jaz is about.

ps - there's a little Tortie Burmese kitten in Palmy just longing for a wonderful home
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2010, 09:42:54 am »

I think this is just begging for a caption.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2010, 12:41:48 pm »

PMSL - does Bobby know he has been violated
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2010, 01:18:09 pm »

Well, if he will lie there like that for 30 minutes+.....

It got funnier when his paws started twitching.
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2010, 06:51:13 pm »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2010, 07:35:20 pm »

Isn't that cute. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2010, 09:18:07 pm »

Bailey (my little Chocolate Burmese Tart) turned 2 years old last week. I sat her down, looked her in the eye and told her she's now grown up and her behaviour should now reflect that.

Wanna know what she did?

SMIRKED!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2010, 09:20:02 pm »

The weather has been appalling in Wellington over the last couple of weeks. Bailey and Yogi haven't been able to play outside and use up their excess energy because of the rain. As a result, they have been bouncing off the walls at night time - especially my GROWN UP 2 year old. She has set out to be naughty.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2010, 09:23:02 pm »

HAHAHAHA

Wait.....

SAAAAAAMMMME
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2010, 10:45:33 am »

Bobby still hasn't worked out why Sally won't let him play with her favourite cat toy.

He sits and look jelious while she spends an hour or more chasing her tail. You wouldn't believe how high a 10 year old cat can jump when her own tail taps her on the shoulder.

Knitting around either of them is proving to be a dangerous occupation.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2010, 09:02:16 am »

Bobby is not a cat who rubs around legs a lot.

There was a lot of rain last night.

Now before you think I am completely bonks in connceting those two facts.

I have just had Bobby come in the cat door, very chirpy and rub around my bare legs.

In an effort to dry his back and sides Shocked Arrrrrrrrgggghhhhh!
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »

This could be Sally only she is shriller, louder, more talkative, smoochier and doesn't use her claws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q&feature=player_embedded

If you have ever been woken up by a small paw poking you on the nose you know what I mean.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2010, 11:52:59 am »

I don't know what has gotten into Sally of late.

This week she has been attempting to fish in my fish tank.

We have had goldfish for longer than we have had Sally and at almost 11 Sally is no kitten, in theory.

Yes, she has tried to get the goldfish before but not for years.

I am currently pulling her down from beside the tank 4 or 5 times a day.

Then there is her parrot act. yep, she will perch on shoulders at the drop of a hat and always has. It is the only time you are likely to get scratched by her.

Sometimes she just gets it into her head to pull a ceiling cat routine and get as near to the ceiling as possible.

Now we are used to her doing this by jumping up by the TV going along the mantil piece over the top of the pinter, computer screen, comuputer tower and up on to the pelmit which she then follows around the room and attempt to jump from that to the bookcase opposite the TV where Dusty the loud (cocateil) lives. I keep these surfaces full of clutter in an effort to deter her.

Last night however she did it in our bedroom - and got stuck. On top of the not quite closed wardrobe door.

To get there she had jumped from the bed side table to the tallboy and up onto the open wardrobe door and walked across the door frame before finding that there was no place to land on the bookcase and that the pelmit was too far away.

There she stayed - for half and hour - staring at us.

I wasn't going to resue her, besides she didn't ask either.

I was nice though, I didn't turn out the light.

Eventually she managed to turn around without loosing her balance on the 1 inch door only open 1 inch and make her way back to ground level.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: