Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 09:55:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

THE CATS

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE CATS  (Read 15622 times)
dragontamer
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2012, 06:02:42 pm »

Love the 'sonar'.

Daisy seemed to appoint herself the parking police last night.  Cats were expected to 'park' and stay put.  Anyone caught out of bed after lights out were dealt with severely... and loudly.

She gave up finally after the boot bounced off the wall over her head.   In somewhat of a snit, she opened my bedroom window (which of course required a lot on noise), climbed out (letting the window slam shut behind her), then sat on Miss DT's window sill until she was let in, whereby she took over the bed and wound up with 80% of the covers.

In true goldfish fashion, she's forgotten what all the drama was about last night now.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2012, 08:21:05 am »

One of these days I will figure out how to put clips on you-tube the post one of Sally's conversations and Bobby's navigation technique.

His low, quite prrow carries much better over distance than Sally's high mews.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2012, 10:39:49 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2012, 07:20:49 pm »

Missing cat was on an island adventure
NZ Newswire
November 28, 2012, 7:51 am 

A Hamilton family's cat that went missing more than two months ago has turned up on Waiheke Island, about 125km and a ferry ride away.

Squids, a Burmese cat, was reunited with her owners on Saturday following her island adventure.

The cat was found in Surfdale and taken to the Waiheke SPCA earlier this month.

SPCA manager Lesley McDougall said the cat was in great condition and staff were determined to find her owner.

However, newspaper advertisements, pleas on the SPCA website and Facebook notices failed to yield a response.

"Normally we only keep cats for seven days before finding a new home for them but we couldn't give up and carried on looking," Ms McDougall told Fairfax.

Back in Hamilton, Virginia Endres and her family were missing 12-year-old Squids.

"She has a history of going to sleep in neighbours' cars but had never before been missing for so long," she said.

But an ad the family had put on Trade Me was eventually spotted by Waiheke resident Madeleine Rawlence, who'd been trawling the internet for clues after seeing the cat on the SPCA website.

"Because of the lack of response to the Waiheke adverts I knew it couldn't be a Waiheke cat and when I saw the ad on Trade Me it fitted the age and gender," she said.

"I still couldn't believe it, though, because it's so far-fetched. I can see how she might have got to Half Moon Bay but not over the water."

Ms Endres and her daughter Alexandria headed to Waiheke on Saturday to pick up Squids, who was micro-chipped before the return trip to Hamilton.

"Just in case she fancies another trip away," Ms McDougall said.

Sponsored Links

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/15498428/missing-cat-was-on-an-island-adventure/
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Alicat
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2012, 07:30:04 am »

Missing cat was on an island adventure
NZ Newswire
November 28, 2012, 7:51 am 

A Hamilton family's cat that went missing more than two months ago has turned up on Waiheke Island, about 125km and a ferry ride away.

Squids, a Burmese cat, was reunited with her owners on Saturday following her island adventure.

The cat was found in Surfdale and taken to the Waiheke SPCA earlier this month.

SPCA manager Lesley McDougall said the cat was in great condition and staff were determined to find her owner.

However, newspaper advertisements, pleas on the SPCA website and Facebook notices failed to yield a response.

"Normally we only keep cats for seven days before finding a new home for them but we couldn't give up and carried on looking," Ms McDougall told Fairfax.

Back in Hamilton, Virginia Endres and her family were missing 12-year-old Squids.

"She has a history of going to sleep in neighbours' cars but had never before been missing for so long," she said.

But an ad the family had put on Trade Me was eventually spotted by Waiheke resident Madeleine Rawlence, who'd been trawling the internet for clues after seeing the cat on the SPCA website.

"Because of the lack of response to the Waiheke adverts I knew it couldn't be a Waiheke cat and when I saw the ad on Trade Me it fitted the age and gender," she said.

"I still couldn't believe it, though, because it's so far-fetched. I can see how she might have got to Half Moon Bay but not over the water."

Ms Endres and her daughter Alexandria headed to Waiheke on Saturday to pick up Squids, who was micro-chipped before the return trip to Hamilton.

"Just in case she fancies another trip away," Ms McDougall said.

Sponsored Links

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/15498428/missing-cat-was-on-an-island-adventure/

Glad there was a happy ending - bloody Burmese. They are sooooooooooooooooooo nosey.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2013, 07:59:44 pm »

Poor little Sally is in the wars again.

I don't know how she did it but she has a wound behind one of her back legs. Surprisingly it isn't a cat bite or an abscess. It is a v shaped cut.

The vet came up with two treatment options and she thought the non surgical option was possibly the better choice given Sally's age and very audible heart murmur.

As a result Sally has had her wound cleaned, been pumped full of antibiotics and will be given small doses of opiate based painkillers for the next few days.

She is a little high at present and hiding under the van.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #231 on: January 04, 2013, 06:39:56 am »

Could she have jumped/fallen off something and landed with the hindquarters on a sharp stick?

Hope she is responding to treatment.     
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
ssweetpea

« Reply #232 on: January 04, 2013, 07:20:39 am »

First I have to find her!

She was on the bed last night but did her vanishing act this morning.

Sp3 spotted her at a distance but she is avoiding everyone who might be trying to medicate her. The longer it takes to get the thyroid blocker on her ear the more paranoid she gets. I have pain relief to give her as well which she won't like.

That cat is a Dumb Blonde!

I think I am going to have to use the gardening lure - she almost always turns up when I start gardening. At the very least some of the gardening will get done even if I don't manage to catch the cat.

10 seconds later - speak of the devil and she appears!
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #233 on: January 04, 2013, 03:12:08 pm »

Good luck with the treatment. Our babies are such worries when they're not well.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2013, 09:18:19 am »

Sp1 and I managed to give her the medication an hour after she turned up. It took us that long to dismantle Sp2's bed and get Sally out from behind it Roll Eyes

She ate then whent straight back behind the bed and spent the rest of the day stoned behind one of the drawers.

However she seems to be in such good sprits that we haven't given her any more pain relief - not that we have been able to get near her since MrSp went to work this morning. That is pretty much normal for her. The wound is looking good scab wise and isn't inflamed so ...so far so good.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2013, 02:20:51 pm »

The good news:
Sally's leg is completely healed and the resulting scar is disappearing into the new fur. Her bloods came back almost completely normal (blood protein a little low but she may just have been slightly dehyrated) recheck is in 6 months.

The Bad news:

Bobby stopped eating and drinking - he wanted too but just wouldn't, his mouth is obviously very sore but teeth appear to be present and in good shape so off to the vet we went.

He has a ulcer on his tongue - cause unknown so is now on pain relief and is supposed to be on a special soft diet. I really need to figure out how to put a clip on you-tube. Bobby burying unacceptable food with invisible dirt is a hoot - I now have footage. He is eating and drinking today all be it gingerly so I was able to give him a top up of pain relief. This is the same stuff that Sally crashed out on. Bobby just gets a stupid happy look on his face and purrs alot. Back to the vet on Monday to see check progress and hopefully eliminate herpes and allergy as causes.

As for the soft diet - Bobby did eat a little of it before acting like it was shit but Sally thought it was delicious. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2013, 02:57:12 pm »

Oh yes... very popular past-time... the 'other food is better' game.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #237 on: February 09, 2013, 03:59:41 pm »

Oh yes... very popular past-time... the 'other food is better' game.

Mitzi thinks Yogi's special diet food is very nice thanks and it's expensive. I'e told her she doesn't really like it at all.

I hope Bobby is okay - poor wee man.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2013, 01:04:10 am »

from The Durango Herald (in small-town Colorado, USA)....

In catbird seat no more

Board takes issue with Edgemont Ranch couple’s catwalk creation

By ROBERT GALIN | 12:06AM - Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Teddy Bear makes his way along the stairway after crossing the catwalk that Spence, who uses only one name, and Martha Spence, built at their Edgemont Ranch second-floor apartment. The catwalk, which leads to a pine tree from a cat door in a bathroom window, is verboten, according to the sub-association is chartered by the Edgemont Property Owners’ Association. — Photo: JERRY McBRIDE/The Durango Herald.
Teddy Bear makes his way along the stairway after crossing the catwalk that Spence, who uses only one name, and Martha Spence,
built at their Edgemont Ranch second-floor apartment. The catwalk, which leads to a pine tree from a cat door in a bathroom
window, is verboten, according to the sub-association is chartered by the Edgemont Property Owners’ Association.
 — Photo: JERRY McBRIDE/The Durango Herald.

WHEN “Spence” and Martha Spence rented a unit in the Farmhouse East section of Edgemont Ranch, they didn’t know they’d stir up trouble. But the catwalk they built between their second-story bathroom and a nearby tree has become the object of admiration from some and disapproval from the homeowners sub-association.

The Spences have until April 30th to remove it or face charges for removal as well as daily fines, possibly $100 a day.

The sub-association is chartered by the Edgemont Property Owners Association, though an association staff member said the association was unaware of the issue.

The 13-foot catwalk allows the Spences’ two cats, Teddy (full name, Teddy Bear) and Gus, to go outside even during winter months, the couple explained while sitting in their apartment. Teddy, 15, was adopted with a broken foot which is essentially healed. Gus, less than 2 years old, joined the clan from the La Plata County Humane Society when they visited to get a companion for Teddy.

Cold weather spurred the Spences to develop the elaborate catwalk, which includes a circular staircase around the tree.

The Spences had been letting the cats out through the front door, but colder fall temperatures meant keeping the door closed, they said. Martha Spence looked up cat ladders online, and the couple decided to create something along those lines for their cats.

The Spences are hoping to get a hearing for an appeal before a homeowners sub-association that has asked them to remove the structure. — Photo: JERRY McBRIDE/The Durango Herald.
The Spences are hoping to get a hearing for an appeal before a homeowners sub-association
that has asked them to remove the structure. — Photo: JERRY McBRIDE/The Durango Herald.

Spence — who uses only his last name, much as pop singer Prince (Prince Rogers Nelson), who was known mostly by his first name, or Cher — took a 16-foot emergency-fire escape ladder and strung it between the building and the tree. He was careful not to put any screws or nails into the building, which is against the covenants, conditions and restrictions.

Spence said those who created the homeowners association and sub-associations “created a new layer of government that is out of control by the standards of the American tradition.”

But the cats weren’t going for it, he said, so he added wooden slats and made the ladder firmer. But the critters were having a difficult time getting down the tree. Spence decided to add “stairs” on the tree, held in place with angled bookshelf brackets.

The cats now look forward to their morning escape out the temporary cat door in the bathroom window to the tree, Spence said. The cat door is blocked at night, Martha Spence said.

Originally, Spence said, “We heard from a third party that one of the board members liked it, one didn’t,” but also heard the third member voted for it. “So we could keep it.”

However, there was still that one board member who didn’t like it. That person stayed on the board when the two others left, and when two new members took office, the board voted to order the catwalk’s removal, Spence said.

“Once they had approved it, even if it’s not in writing, (the approval) should stay in effect,” Martha Spence said.

Gus strolls on the Spences’ catwalk, which was initially developed to avoid having to open the apartment’s door in the dead of winter. — Photo: JERRY McBRIDE/The Durango Herald.
Gus strolls on the Spences’ catwalk, which was initially developed to avoid having to open the apartment’s door in the dead of winter.
 — Photo: JERRY McBRIDE/The Durango Herald.

What the Spences did not have is advance approval, even though that is required in the covenant rules. They received a copy of the rules along with their lease when they moved into the unit July 3rd, 2012.

Spence said, “We would like a hearing (from the sub-association board),” but, “in the worst-case scenario, we’d remove the ladder.”

The actual property owner received a notice from the sub-association that she would be charged the costs of removing the ladder. She then notified the Spences. Of course, the costs would be passed on to the couple.

Spence’s father was a missionary in Honduras, where he spent much of his childhood. He then lived for many years in Arizona, where the couple met. He is a portrait photographer for the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad in the summer, and, last year, he also drove a city bus. He plans to work for the D&SNG again during the 2013 tourist season.

Martha Spence is a temporary office worker and is looking for a full-time office job.

While the couple waits for a reprieve, they can take some pride in their project getting international attention as part of the “Cat Ladder Hall of Fame” on the Cat Ladders Blog Spot.

Perhaps with a bit of resignation, Spence said, he had hoped that if the couple moved from the Edgemont unit that the next tenant could enjoy the catwalk, which now may not be the case.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20130422/NEWS01/130429861/In-catbird-seat-no-more
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #239 on: April 25, 2013, 06:07:26 pm »

I am firmly in the love it camp.

I am thinking about the possiblity of doing some thing similar using one of those rolls of garden edging made of tanilised rounds and wire. The only downside would be that it would give a highway access to rats as well. Rats have used a tree and our over head power cable for that purpose.

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2013, 02:08:10 pm »

Blokes and their cats

(Four Legs Good — STUFF's Blog About Pets)

Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2013, 04:28:34 pm »

Blokes and their cats

(Four Legs Good — STUFF's Blog About Pets)

That cat is not unlike Tina - a gorgeous Silver Tabby I took home one Christmas Eve whilst still living in Hastings. Mum was asleep so I quietly put the little kitten on her knee. Mum woke up, saw the kitten and said, "It's not ours is it?" Tina was a stunning wee cat with a raging temper if she didn't get her own way but she was an awesome wee cat. She had been dumped in a sack with her siblings when she was only about 3-4 weeks old. Only two survived - Tina and another little Tabby who a friend of mine took.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2013, 09:10:52 am »

Those of us who have cats know this only too well - Drama Queens!!!

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #243 on: August 05, 2013, 02:58:39 pm »

Well-kept moggy street favourite

By FRANCESCA LEE - The Press | 5:00AM - Monday, 05 August 2013

HOME SWEET HOME: Cat is quite comfortable in his own apartment built for him by possibly the world's best neighbours. — Photo: JOSEPH JOHNSON.
HOME SWEET HOME: Cat is quite comfortable in his own
apartment built for him by possibly the world's best
neighbours. — Photo: JOSEPH JOHNSON.

CHRISTCHURCH may have a housing problem, but it's not an issue for one lucky feline.

Then again, not everyone has neighbours who will build a house for them and feed and water them.

However, Cat is not just anyone.

The Beckenham street cat turned up in his neighbourhood last May, according to neighbour Janette, and quickly became a popular community member.

"A lot of people come around to see him, especially on a Sunday," says Janette. "A lot of people tried to adopt him, but he just wouldn't have any of it."

While he is commonly known as Cat, he has several other aliases, including Andy, Fluffy, and Special.

Janette calls him Manky because of how dirty he was when he first turned up. The dirt has gone, but the name stayed.

One neighbour built him his own apartment nestled among hedges, with an excellent view of the street, which he shares with the local hedgehogs.

"He uses the back door to come in and out. There's a wet-weather side and a sunny side."

"The hedgehogs come in the back door and he shares his food with the hedgehogs."

The whole neighbourhood chips in to ensure his wellbeing, and he even has a feeding chart which is ticked off whenever someone feeds him.

"There are two little old ladies from the rest home who come to feed him. One is in her 80s and she comes around once or twice a week and feeds him jellymeat."

"Another lady up the road used to feed him jellymeat every day."

"He has a feeding chart now, so he doesn't get overfed."

The chart has two columns for morning and afternoon feedings, and the text at the top of the chart reads: "Under the authority of the Christchurch Kitty Council, I declare that this beautiful Feline be fed only x 2 daily and for the feeders herewith to document such administration. With thanks and thoughts about the weight and potential wellbeing of Cat."

Usually he eats cat biscuits, although he does get jellymeat as a treat.

Other gifts have also turned up, including a toy mouse and a brush.

"There's an older man down the road and his son was visiting him from London. One day, a brush turned up in Manky's house. The old man's son bought it for him as a goodbye gift," Janette said.

Although she is allergic to cats, she ensures he has water and keeps a few tins of jellymeat in the house in case of emergency feeding needs.

"He's certainly one of the best looked after cats in Christchurch. I think he does better than some cats in houses," she says.

As for the neighbourhood, people now talk to each other more because Cat has given them a talking point. "People stop to have a chat. The kids going to and from school stop to say hello."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/9001607/Well-kept-moggy-street-favourite
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #244 on: March 30, 2014, 02:35:41 pm »

(click on the picture to read the news story)
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2014, 01:15:13 pm »

(click on the picture to read the news story)
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2014, 08:41:13 am »

Seems to me the owners of that "grumpy" cat are simply cashing in on it's misfortune.

If it was their child - a human case of dwarfism - they would be exploiting it and it would probably be removed from their care.
see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_cat#Recognition_and_controversy

imo (and that is NOT so humble!) I much prefer this sort of cat expressions videos

even though I know we humans are interpreting them according to or OWN perception.

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2015, 08:45:43 pm »

(click on the picture)
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2015, 11:34:32 am »

A pussycat on a Chicago Transit Authority train.

CLICK HERE to view.

Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #249 on: November 19, 2016, 12:34:25 pm »

I have just had fun reading through some of the posts in this thread.

I had a good laugh over Sally's antics - hard to believe she pasted away nearly 3 years ago.

Bobby is still a dofus and he even answers to that now. This morning he came in with a smelly bum, a rare occurrence. Sp1 decided to have a shower and Bob would not leave her alone. He kept moaning at the bathroom door even after being in and out twice. I let him in again and he sat on the edge of the bath. That was it has far as Sp1 was concerned. Down came the shower head and Bob got is butt and fur trousers washed. Have I ever mentioned that he is also known as Fluff Bob Fur Pants?

Kira the Carebear is now 3 years old. She is more laid back than Sally but being half blond half ginger nut sometimes leads to interesting situations. She spent long enough on the roof the other night that she was damp with dew when lifted down. She can get on to the roof by doing her flying squirrel/fruit bat routine from the Oak tree but can't get down that way. I swear the ghost of Sally has been giving that cat lessons. They never met in life but oh boy sometimes it is like the bombshell just had a new paint job. At least when Kira settles down she settles for hours.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: