Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 03:31:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

THE CATS

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE CATS  (Read 15648 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2011, 12:51:32 pm »

Cat home safe, sound

By VICKI WATERHOUSE - Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Wednesday, 09 November 2011

HOMECOMING: Chevy the cat has been returned to his family in Levin after being missing for 18 months. — LEILANI HATCH/Fairfax NZ.
HOMECOMING: Chevy the cat has been returned to his
family in Levin after being missing for 18 months.
 — LEILANI HATCH/Fairfax NZ.

A CAT that travelled almost 50 kilometres and was missing for 18 months has finally been reunited with his owners.

When the McKay family's new kitten, Chevy, went missing from their Levin home, they were so upset they took to the streets with posters to try to find him, with no luck.

On Sunday, a Glen Oroua woman who believed she was caring for a stray was informed she was actually looking after Chevy, despite being nearly 50km away from Levin.

Kellyanne McKay said it was amazing to have him returned, and she did not plan on letting him disappear again.

"The kids were rapt," she said.

Mrs McKay said Chevy went missing when he was only six months old and she suspected he had been snatched because of his peculiar front paws, which each had six toes.

The family had previously microchipped and desexed the cat at a mobile SPCA clinic, but could do nothing but wait for him to be found.

More than a year later, the Glen Oroua woman brought the cat in to the SPCA to be desexed, but that had already occurred and the chip revealed his identity.

Mrs McKay said the family adopted the cat after they had lost their beloved dog.

When the cat disappeared, it brought more pain.

Luckily, Chevy hadn't changed a bit, despite his time away.

"He's a bit of a character, he's still got all his old traits about him," Mrs McKay said.

"Same personality ... same noisy behaviour. He sounds like a dog, he literally growls."

Mrs McKay said Chevy slept in her daughters' bedroom at night — just like he did before he went missing.

"It definitely pays to get your cats chipped," she said.

Manawatu SPCA manager Danny Auger said all cats that were desexed at the SPCA mobile clinic were microchipped at the same time.

Last year about 450 stray cats were brought in to the Manawatu SPCA, and only 1 per cent were returned to their owners — but the majority of the returned cats had been microchipped.

"We don't want cats in the centre when they should be at home enjoying themselves with their families."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/5933429/Cat-home-safe-sound
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
dragontamer
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2012, 01:07:41 pm »

Garfield's attitude to an empty bowl:  "I'll sit here and wait until you notice".

Daisy's attitude to an empty bowl:  "OMG.  YOU'RE TRYING TO STARVE ME... IT'S E.M.P.T.Y.  I'M GOING TO DIE. **SCREAM**"

Garfield's attitude to you filling same bowl:  "Fank you.  I lubs you" and he eats.

Daisy's attitude to you filling same bowl:  "That's Right" and she walks away.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2012, 08:37:57 pm »

Garfield's attitude to an empty bowl:  "I'll sit here and wait until you notice".

Daisy's attitude to an empty bowl:  "OMG.  YOU'RE TRYING TO STARVE ME... IT'S E.M.P.T.Y.  I'M GOING TO DIE. **SCREAM**"

Garfield's attitude to you filling same bowl:  "Fank you.  I lubs you" and he eats.

Daisy's attitude to you filling same bowl:  "That's Right" and she walks away.

Methinks one of them might be a Princess
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #203 on: June 01, 2012, 03:41:17 pm »

http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/news/moggie-makes-cop-shop-home/1401979/

Moggie makes cop shop home

Caroline King | Friday, June 1, 2012 8:41

New Brighton police have a new honorary officer - Penny the "cop cat".

Constable Pamela Cox believed the black and white fluffy cat, who recently set up home at the station, is a "refugee" of the Christchurch earthquakes who either became lost when she ran in fear or was abandoned by her displaced owners.

Prior to living at the police station it is believed Penny resided under Central New Brighton School. She relocated when a cleaner at the police station began feeding her before he started work and she has returned every morning since.

Staff at the station have continued to make their four-legged comrade welcome, supplying her with food, her own bed and a place to come and go as she pleases.

Constable Cox, a Thunderbirds fan, named her Penny, short for Lady Penelope. But Constable Cox said the cleaner calls her Bobby after the phrase "bobby on the beat", which refers to a police foot patrol.

Constable Cox said while the officers have enjoyed having Penny around they felt compelled to search for her rightful owners.

"Because she's so placid and friendly she must've, at some stage, belonged to someone."

However, she conceded Penny could have come from anywhere in the city and fled when the quakes struck.

She admitted they did not know if Penny was in fact a female or male, let alone if she was microchipped.

Constable Cox hoped someone would recognise her photo and come forward to claim her.

Failing that staff planned to take her to a vet to see if she indeed had a microchip to reunite her with her owners.

And if all else fails Penny is not without a home.

"If we don't find a home for her she can stay here. There's even been talk of putting in a cat door for her," Constable Cox said.

If you believe Penny is your lost cat, or know her rightful owners, contact Constable Cox on 373 9136.

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2012, 01:25:13 pm »

There's a really interesting thread on the General Board at the Wings Over New Zealand messageboard forum about Hanger Cats at airports.

You can locate this thread here.

Scroll down to Reply #5 posted a few days ago about the cat which used to hang-out around the terminal area at Whenuapai Airport back when it was a joint civil-military aerodrome prior to the current Auckland International Airport being opened. There is a photograph of the cat on the tarmac next to a NAC Douglas DC-3 airliner. I have read about that cat in the past on various forums, including on a British aviation forum where a former Pan American pilot was relating how whenever they flew into Auckland they were told over the radio in no uncertain terms that they were to steer around the cat if it was lying in the middle of the tarmac while they were taxiing in. He posted that it wouldn't even budge for a Douglas DC-7C (which Pan Am were operating into there) even though they were the noisiest aeroplane imaginable. Once the cat was stretched out in the sun on a taxiway or on the tarmac, it wouldn't budge for anybody until it decided it was time to move on.
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2012, 08:55:22 am »

My Mo must have been related to him.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2012, 10:59:11 am »

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2012, 12:20:14 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2012, 06:04:23 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »

Got a new fridge today so that meant we had to move the old one for the first time in years.

Amongst the dust under it were a couple of pens and a couple of magnets - we can blame the late Minnie for those.

There was also a couple of pegs - Smudge loved batting pegs around even after she went gaga.

We had a sweepstake on the number of marbles Sally had lost under the fridge. Most of the guesses were around 4-6.

There were 10.

Now we know why Sally acts like she is missing a few marbles.

Bobby has just discovered marbles, he just lost his first under the couch.

However we still don't know who put the toy car under there.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
dragontamer
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2012, 10:39:38 pm »

Mo used to chase the ring off the 2l milk bottles.  It was a round plastic ring that held the lid on until the tab things were broken.  Over is 14/15 years he had attacked and lost hundreds of the things.   And a not inconsiderable number of them were witnessed scooting under the fridge.   

Weird thing is when we moved the fridge (like you, ours is a mammoth beast we rarely move) there wasn't one ring under there. 

Where'd they go?

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2012, 10:29:23 am »

Same here - under the fridge and freezer (2 separate ones) there was a treasure trove.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2012, 07:59:36 am »

Another clepto feline ....

Real-life cat burglar: Boxer shorts, slippers, thong and a dozen pairs of socks all among haul stolen by pet 'Denis the Menace'
 Denis pinches everything from towels to toys from his neighbours and carries or drags them home through his cat flap
 Owner Lesley Newman, 49, from Luton, has two boxes full of stolen items for neighbours to collect

A mischievous pet has become infamous throughout his neighbourhood as ‘Denis the Menace’ after stealing more than one hundred garments from his nearby homes and gardens.

The real-life cat burglar has a weakness for pinching and has swiped all manner of items, which he takes home to his embarrassed owner Lesley Newman, aged 49.

Over an 18 month crime spree Denis’s haul includes a bath towel, a thong, a football, five paintbrushes, a pair of slippers, an designer shirt, a doll and gloves.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2205461/Real-life-cat-burglar-Family-pet-Denis-Menace-stolen-hundreds-items-neighbours-garden.html#ixzz272fA7PwP
 Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #213 on: October 19, 2012, 08:30:16 am »

That damn Sally is costing me a fortune.

She will not take the pills in her food anymore so she is now on Methimazole Spot-on, a gel I measure out of a syringe onto a gloved finger and rub in her ear.

The price just went up by $44 per month - the vet is checking that.

Our power bill is less that the cost of Sally's medication.

Update: I was charged too much for the medication, the vet practice has changed suppliers but cost from the previous supplier was the one in the computer system. Not that the gel is cheap - it is still costing just over $2 per day.

The good news is that Sally's T4 levels are back in the normal range - which explains why "low flying white cat" behaviour has been absent.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:38:07 am by ssweetpea » Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2012, 02:50:45 am »

That damn Sally is costing me a fortune.

She will not take the pills in her food anymore so she is now on Methimazole Spot-on, a gel I measure out of a syringe onto a gloved finger and rub in her ear.

The price just went up by $44 per month - the vet is checking that.

Our power bill is less that the cost of Sally's medication.

Update: I was charged too much for the medication, the vet practice has changed suppliers but cost from the previous supplier was the one in the computer system. Not that the gel is cheap - it is still costing just over $2 per day.

The good news is that Sally's T4 levels are back in the normal range - which explains why "low flying white cat" behaviour has been absent.

It's good her T4 levels are back within a normal range.

I've decided not to even try and work out how much the Insulin is costing me for Yogi. The Clomicalm was $90 a month when he was on one tablet per night. I have weaned him down to 1/2 every 3 nights. I bought syringes with extra short needles to make it easier on Yogi - that cost is on top of the Insulin. Just as well I quite like Yogi
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »

I must like Sally too. She is not the easiest cat to take to the vet and she went 4 or 5 times in the last year.

She is back up to 3kg - which is still underweight but better than she was.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2012, 08:29:53 pm »

Had a LOL this morning.

I got up to make a cuppa and noticed that Sally wasn't on our bed. She was outside on the front door mat in rock mode, all paws tucked under.

I opened the door.

Sally just looked at me but Bobby must of been very nearby because he immediately started sounding off and jumped over the gate on to the deck.

Sally still didn't move anything other than her head.

Bob approached obvously wanting in and first breakfast.

Sally gave him the look and didn't move.

Bob stood there rrrowing 2 feet away, no way was he coming any closer than he had too.

Sally still refused to budge a whisker.

After 3 minutes Bobby gingerly climbed over my gardening caddy and boot cleaner literally leaning against the wall to get past Sally and in the door.

Sally just watched him without twitching a paw.

Did Sally then get up and come in.

No.

I shut the door and fed Bobby.

Sally came in 2 minutes later when Sp2 opened the door. Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #217 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:08 pm »

PMSL

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2012, 07:36:13 am »

LOL 
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2012, 10:31:38 am »

Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2012, 09:05:40 am »

That Sally!

Last night she didn't come in so she didn't get her medication.

We checked the basement and the garage and called but no white cat.

She has done this before so we assumed that she would turn up on the bed during the night.

She didn't.

She didn't turn up for breakfast.

Bobby didn't find her to chase.

Phil rechecked the garage this morning - still no white cat.

By this time I am having visions of finding a little white dew covered body in one of her haunts. Did she pass away lying on her favourite board at the back of the garden? Did she quietly have a heart attack on top of the spare mattress in the rafters of the garage.

No, she arrived sometime during the night and curled up with Heather, who being on study leave didn't wake up with the rest of us.
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #221 on: November 09, 2012, 09:40:06 am »

I don't know about a bell on her collar, but a beeper like on the wireless phone might be handy.  Undecided

Bentley did that yesterday.  He's been staying since Monday and during the day yesterday, Miss 18 got a call to go to work.  Bentley has discovered the wide outdoors and being in a cul de sac and a quiet area anyway he's often roaming around ours, Mikes, Sarah or Rods.  All good.  But yesterday he would not answer her.  He would not come.  She had to leave for work at 2 and I got the hysterical call "Bentley's missing..... I caaaaan't *sob* find him *sob*"

Master DT looked from 4 until 5.30 when he had to go to work
Mr DT looked from 6 till 7.30

I got home at 7.30 and yelled "Bentley, ya little shit" and he popped up saying "meh?"
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2012, 03:10:38 pm »

No, she arrived sometime during the night and curled up with Heather, who being on study leave didn't wake up with the rest of us.

Completely oblivious!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2012, 03:11:36 pm »

I don't know about a bell on her collar, but a beeper like on the wireless phone might be handy.  Undecided

Bentley did that yesterday.  He's been staying since Monday and during the day yesterday, Miss 18 got a call to go to work.  Bentley has discovered the wide outdoors and being in a cul de sac and a quiet area anyway he's often roaming around ours, Mikes, Sarah or Rods.  All good.  But yesterday he would not answer her.  He would not come.  She had to leave for work at 2 and I got the hysterical call "Bentley's missing..... I caaaaan't *sob* find him *sob*"

Master DT looked from 4 until 5.30 when he had to go to work
Mr DT looked from 6 till 7.30

I got home at 7.30 and yelled "Bentley, ya little shit" and he popped up saying "meh?"

Dear wee man - where was he?

Sounds like little Mr B knows not to mess with Grandma
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2012, 04:07:13 pm »

Sally has a bell and a name tag. Sally can't move without dinging.

However she has never been great at coming when called, if she is asleep she won't come and since I have called her a couple of times to get the medicine in her ear.....even banging the tin of food nolonger works relably.

Of course what doesn't help is that Bobby now reponds to "Sal-llllyyy-here-kitty-kitty-kitty" and since Bobby's favourite game of late has been bop Sally....Sally doesn't come if she can hear Bobby's bell or Bobby talking or Bobby's "sonar".

Bobby prrows once a second whenever he is responding to being called or when it is dark. It is as it he is navigating by sonar.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: