Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 11:01:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

THE CATS

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE CATS  (Read 15629 times)
Alicat
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2009, 01:32:21 pm »

Poor Bailey isn't well. She started sneezing a little yesterday - productive ones at that! Overnight her left eye has become very watery and she's having bouts of sneezing - very productive. I'm off work today with bad hips and knees so have stayed in bed with her. She has an appointment with the Vet at 3.30pm. Poor Bailey won't be impressed - it's freezing here today and she's snuggled up with Holly and Zara near the heater. She won't want to be bundled into the car.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2009, 05:52:44 pm »

Bailey has the flu and a blocked tear duct. She is on antibiotics for 5 days and will be checked out again on Friday afternoon. It was just as well I took her in when I did as we have got onto it early.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2009, 09:19:09 pm »

I hope Bailey is OK.

I am still on the lookout for a small cat basket.

Sally's basket fell apart a couple of months ago and she is missing it, badly.

The crazy animal doesn't like a big bed and likes something with rigid sides just big enough to curl up in and no bigger.

She has been using Mr sp's arm as a substitute but he is now getting pins and needles as well as numb from having it wrapped around her all night.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:32:14 pm by ssweetpea » Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2009, 09:15:12 am »

Sweetpea, try The Warehouse - they sometimes have reasonably priced cat baskets and beds.

Bailey is sneezing less. She's a bit miffed that she's not allowed outside (MY rules not the Vets). She's good at taking her medicine even though she doesn't like the chocolate flavour. The Vet who saw her has been off on maternity leave and didn't know about Bailey. She melted when she saw her - all the Vets at the Practice LOVE the animals and are all partial to Burmese. She was amazed at what a good wee girl Bailey was and looked her in the eye and said, "Bailey, you're on to a good thing here!" Poor Bailey has been told by all of them there what a lucky girl she is to be part of my little feline family. Not that they are spoilt of course
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2009, 09:11:52 pm »

My next door neighbour, Lisa, has a big fluffy cat called Ed.

They play a game where he runs down the hallway and hides in a room off to the side, then when she runs down the hallway he jumps out and 'roars' her.  Then she hides and does the same to him.  They love their little playtime.

Garfield does NOT like that game.  Not one little bit.  Nope.  And he can't get traction on a polished wooden floor.

LMAO
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2009, 07:17:29 pm »

Poor Garfield. I hope you don't laugh at him. NEVER laugh at a cat. They will get you for it - might not be straight away, but they'll get you
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2009, 01:50:29 pm »

We have a house guest, Mr H, at the moment that has been getting allot of attention from Sally.

He is a canary.

He is in a cage up on top of the bookcase next to Dusty.

Sally has spent much of the last few days trying to figure out how to get up there.

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2009, 06:57:24 pm »

We have a house guest, Mr H, at the moment that has been getting allot of attention from Sally.

He is a canary.

He is in a cage up on top of the bookcase next to Dusty.

Sally has spent much of the last few days trying to figure out how to get up there.

Be fair Sweetpea, Sally is only trying to protect Mr H from the other cats
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2009, 02:45:10 pm »

Kitten demand outstrips supply

By KATIE CHAPMAN - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Wednesday, 04 November 2009

CHOCOLATE-BOX CUTE: Some of the in-demand kittens at Wellington SPCA that are too young to be adopted yet. — PHIL REID/The Dominion Post.

CHOCOLATE-BOX CUTE: Some of the in-demand kittens at
Wellington SPCA that are too young to be adopted yet.
 — PHIL REID/The Dominion Post.

Wellington SPCA is appealing for patience as a lack of kittens forces prospective owners on to waiting lists.

But despite the apparent dearth, the desexing message is still not getting through.

More than 30 people were on the waiting list, animal care and adoption manager Nicholas Taylor said.

The problem was not the number of kittens, but their ages. "We have at the moment 93 kittens, and we don't have a single one available for adoption."

Kittens could not go to new homes until they were eight or nine weeks old, which meant a few more weeks' wait for many of the prospective owners. "It's at the beginning of the season — they've all been born, they're just not ready," Mr Taylor said.

The SPCA asked cat lovers to be patient — and not to rush off to pet shops. Getting kittens from shops, or online sources such as TradeMe, encouraged breeding, which was part of the problem.

By December there would be an abundance of kittens. "We'll be inundated, so please be patient. It's just a demand and supply issue."

While there were not enough kittens now, overall there had not been a slowdown in the number of animals needing homes.

Last year Wellington SPCA rehomed about 1300 cats, and was in line to beat that number this year, Mr Taylor said.

Despite continually repeating the message, people still were not desexing their pets, he said.

Many people thought it was all right to let their cats have a litter, as long as they could find homes for the kittens. But that just added to the problem, he said.

"That's taking potential homes away from ones that were born with no control."

The issue was aggravated by the fact there was no longer a set season, with kittens being born all year round. Some cats were having up to three litters a year.

But vet Allan Probert, of Animalz Miramar, said the message was starting to sink in. Each year his clinic, along with the Cats Protection League, ran a desexing drive, and cats were getting steadily younger — a sign they were getting on top of the problem, he said.

Having an affordable option for cat owners was a big help. "People are very grateful, particularly in recession times, for any help they get in terms of desexing."

Mr Taylor said anyone who did not want to wait for a kitten could consider being a foster home for a litter until the kittens were ready for adoption.

The SPCA's week-long annual fundraising drive starts on Saturday.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/3028266/Kitten-demand-outstrips-supply
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
ssweetpea

« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2009, 08:48:28 am »

I was going to head out to the Auckland SPCA in search of a new fuzzball this weekend.

Maybe I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Sally has been on her own since April so a week or two won't make much difference.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:16 am »

SP - I know of a lovely (but psycho) Blue Tortie Burmese. She's about 4 years old and has been speyed. She had a bit of bother having kittens and her Breeder decided it was too much of a risk for her (the wee cat) to have any more pregnancies. She's a gorgeous wee cat but is hyperactive. She's an 'in-your-face' me me me cat. I fell for her when I met her - she's a head-butter and an attention seeker.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2009, 01:28:19 pm »

OOoooo get her sp.

I feel you need a 'Daisy' too.

Everyone should have a Daisy.

Why should I be the only one to suffer?
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2009, 07:28:09 pm »

Bobby just got an up close and personal lesson in computer printers.

He was on my lap when it started and had his nose in the printer slot when the first page shot out. He shot two feet into the air and landed on the floor leaving a couple of scratches on my knee.

He watched the second page emerge from the safety of the floor.

We had the camera out for the third page as he again had got up the courage to perch on top of the scanner cover nose in the slot. He flinched away when the page shot out.

He carefully observed the fourth page with his nose a much safer 6 inches away again with a flinch.

By the fifth page he had figured out that the paper had to be coming from somewhere probably underneath him or behind him.

By the sixth page he had his nose down behind the printer to try and figure out where.
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2009, 07:52:48 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2009, 05:19:30 am »

Ruddy Bobby!

He slipped out last night just before sunset.

Do you think he would come in?

At 10pm we tracked him down having words with one of the neighbourhood cats under a boat trailer 2 houses away.

Would he come when called?

No, he shot off under a car.

At 10:30pm he had moved closer to home - under the bushes at the neighbour's. Still wouldn't come in.

Out he stayed the whole night - well - until 5am anyway.

By that time we had given up trying to sleep through his caterwauling, which woke us up a 4:20am at tracked the fluff-for-brains down to the bottom of the neighbouring driveway.

His souvenirs include a scratched ear and a bloody paw pad.

Sally on the other hand followed us around while we were calling Bobby and spent most of the night on the bed as per usual.

Boy is she pleased with herself.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2009, 08:05:06 am »

What a night - hopefully he might have learnt a wee lesson about being out all night without the home comforts of bed.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2009, 08:15:57 pm »

We kept him in last night - we are all very short of sleep as a result. What didn't help is he had finished up his special food from the vet (Hills sensitive digestion) and filled his face with Sally's dinner (Purina).

There is nothing like waking up to the sound of a cat banging at the cat door followed by a quick scitter down the hall in order to have a diarrhea attack in the bath, just across the hall from the bedroom.  Undecided

At least he is tidy. All "accidents" have occured after the dirt box in the laundry has already been used and have been in the bath. He must have been trained to do that.

I have invested in a big bag of the Hills sensitive digestion formula and we will leave the catdoor unlocked.

He seems to have learnt his lesson about wandering. He hasn't wandered off the section for the last couple of days.
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2009, 06:13:36 am »

What is it with the ginga's?  This is Garfield to a T.  Last night he was doing his Sphinx impersonation on the back of he sofa, until he nodded off and couldn't hold it any more.

(photo from cheeseburger.cat)
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2009, 08:35:04 am »

What is it with the ginga's?  This is Garfield to a T.  Last night he was doing his Sphinx impersonation on the back of he sofa, until he nodded off and couldn't hold it any more.

I hope you didn't laugh at my wee ginger friend?
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2009, 08:53:25 am »

Shocked

Who? Moi?

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2009, 04:00:42 pm »

Bobby likes to sleep on his back.

This position is a little unusual even for him.

Yes, he is completely out of it.

He has also figured out how to stop Mr sp from working from home too much
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2009, 09:38:30 am »

How do you cool down a hot cat?

Sp1 was sitting on the kitchen floor stroking a hot Bobby's tummy - with a palm sized ice pack Shocked

I could hear the purring from the lounge.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2009, 11:00:54 am »

Bobby has had his style cramped.

He caught a weta last night and either that or something else left its mark.

He has a small punchure wound to one of his front paws and isn't putting much weight on it prefering instead to hop around on 3 legs.

I'll clean it up for him and if it is still painful on Tuesday it will be vet time.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2009, 05:22:41 pm »

Bobby has had his style cramped.

He caught a weta last night and either that or something else left its mark.

He has a small punchure wound to one of his front paws and isn't putting much weight on it prefering instead to hop around on 3 legs.

I'll clean it up for him and if it is still painful on Tuesday it will be vet time.

Poor wee man - is his paw any better now that you've cleaned it?

I love the photo on the laptop - I'd like to hear Mr SP tell his boss why he couldn't get the work done
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2009, 08:20:09 pm »

The little thespean is only limping when he thinks we are watching, then he dramically pick up the sore paw and hops around on 3 legs only to trot off down the hall as per normal after turning the corner.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: