Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 02:29:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

THE CATS

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE CATS  (Read 16189 times)
Alicat
« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2010, 04:11:34 pm »

I went straight to the Emergency Department at Hutt Hospital within 10 hours of being bitten by Yogi  and got IV antibiotics. I woke up the next morning unable to move my left leg - wouldn't bend, wouldn't straighten and I couldn't walk without support. My flatmate took me into Hutt ED again (7.00am on a Saturday morning) and after quite a lengthy wait the Doctor looked at my knee (didn't examine it or touch it at all) and said she wasn't concerned. She was aware I had a total knee joint replacement. I was sent away - no blood test, no x-ray and most importantly no knee aspiration. I spent the weekend in bed. I had my flatmate and another friend with me at ED that morning who were disgusted with what happened (or didn't happen!).

When I saw my GP on Monday morning, she rang the Orthopaedic Registrar then sent me straight to Wellington Hospital Orthopaedic Clinic. Within half a hour I had been x-rayed, had blood tests and a knee aspiration. Fluid was the knee was sent for analysis and once the results came back a very sombre looking Doctor came to see me and said I needed urgent surgery on my knee.

Following the surgery I had daily blood tests and regular visits from the Infectious Diseases and Pain Control Teams - they were fantastic. I spent 2 weeks in hospital on strong IV antibiotics then went back to Theatre to have a PICC line put in my arm leading into the chest. I've been on IV and oral antibiotics ever since and have an appointment with Infectious Diseases this Tuesday. I have at least another week on the PICC line but possibly another few weeks. I have to take the oral stuff (Ciprofloxicin) until April 2011 and read smewhere in my notes that once the IV antibiotics stop there wll be a 2nd oral antibiotic to take as well.

On Thursday I posted a formal letter of complaint against Hutt Hospital ED to the CEO and Chairman of the Board. If the treatment to the knee infection (septic arthritis) had started on that Saturday morning it is unlikely I would have needed the horrible surgery I had to have. 48 hours was wasted.

Antibiotics always make me feel sick so I am on some anti-emetics for that. They work sometimes.

The District Nurses are fantastic. They come here every day around midday to change the bag of antibiotics and to check the wounds, change the dressing etc.

One of the Nurses is a lovely guy who Bailey has fallen for. She is such a tart. She gave him one of her extra special facial smooches earlier in the week. He loves cats and was very taken with Bailey.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: