Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 07:30:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Alcohol and cigarettes are more harmful than Ecstasy, LSD And Marijuana

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcohol and cigarettes are more harmful than Ecstasy, LSD And Marijuana  (Read 461 times)
Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: August 03, 2010, 08:08:42 pm »

I expect a few squeals
Alcohol, tobacco make top 10 list of risky drugs
British study rated the substances more dangerous than marijuana, Ecstasy

Smoking and drinking pose a bigger risk to society than some illegal substances, a new British study says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUmAAMVdcok&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHhgEvdqugI&feature=related

LONDON — New "landmark" research finds that alcohol and tobacco are more dangerous than some illegal drugs like marijuana or Ecstasy and should be classified as such in legal systems, according to a new British study.
In research published Friday in The Lancet magazine, Professor David Nutt of Britain's Bristol University and colleagues proposed a new framework for the classification of harmful substances, based on the actual risks posed to society. Their ranking listed alcohol and tobacco among the top 10 most dangerous substances.
Nutt and colleagues used three factors to determine the harm associated with any drug: the physical harm to the user, the drug's potential for addiction and the impact on society of drug use. The researchers asked two groups of experts — psychiatrists specializing in addiction and legal or police officials with scientific or medical expertise — to assign scores to 20 different drugs, including heroin, cocaine, Ecstasy, amphetamines and LSD.
Nutt and his colleagues then calculated the drugs' overall rankings. In the end, the experts agreed with each other — but not with the existing British classification of dangerous substances.
A look at how heroin, cocaine and other drugs affect the body
Heroin and cocaine were ranked most dangerous, followed by barbiturates and street methadone. Alcohol was the fifth-most harmful drug and tobacco the ninth most harmful. Cannabis came in 11th, and near the bottom of the list was Ecstasy.
‘Current drug system is ill thought-out’
According to existing British and U.S. drug policy, alcohol and tobacco are legal, while cannabis and Ecstasy are both illegal. Previous reports, including a study from a parliamentary committee last year, have questioned the scientific rationale for Britain's drug classification system.
"The current drug system is ill thought-out and arbitrary," said Nutt, referring to the United Kingdom's practice of assigning drugs to three distinct divisions, ostensibly based on the drugs' potential for harm. "The exclusion of alcohol and tobacco from the Misuse of Drugs Act is, from a scientific perspective, arbitrary," write Nutt and his colleagues in The Lancet.
Tobacco causes 40 percent of all hospital illnesses, while alcohol is blamed for more than half of all visits to hospital emergency rooms. The substances also harm society in other ways, damaging families and occupying police services.
Nutt hopes that the research will provoke debate within the UK and beyond about how drugs — including socially acceptable drugs such as alcohol — should be regulated. While different countries use different markers to classify dangerous drugs, none use a system like the one proposed by Nutt's study, which he hopes could serve as a framework for international authorities.
"This is a landmark paper," said Dr. Leslie Iversen, professor of pharmacology at Oxford University. Iversen was not connected to the research. "It is the first real step towards an evidence-based classification of drugs." He added that based on the paper's results, alcohol and tobacco could not reasonably be excluded.
"The rankings also suggest the need for better regulation of the more harmful drugs that are currently legal, i.e. tobacco and alcohol," wrote Wayne Hall, of the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia, in an accompanying Lancet commentary. Hall was not involved with Nutt's paper.
While experts agreed that criminalizing alcohol and tobacco would be challenging, they said that governments should review the penalties imposed for drug abuse and try to make them more reflective of the actual risks and damages involved.
Nutt called for more education so that people were aware of the risks of various drugs. "All drugs are dangerous," he said. "Even the ones people know and love and use every day."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17760130/
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dragontamer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:33:58 pm »

But if you and I were going for the same job and I said "I drink and smoke cigarettes", and you said "I use drugs" with all else being equal, who do you seriously think would be the one they would choose.

Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:43:16 pm »

But if you and I were going for the same job and I said "I drink and smoke cigarettes", and you said "I use drugs" with all else being equal, who do you seriously think would be the one they would choose.

You admit to being a piss head ?

I would just tell them the truth
and the truth is I will pass any drug test.
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
dragontamer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:46:44 pm »

No deary, you missed the point (yet I'm not surprised lmao) again.

Nevermind - at least we know why eh?

Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:47:59 pm »

My point is people have been duped with a good deal of brain washing
for a strange reason some think all people that smoke pot are dopey
oh they must all have brain damage the poor the wee things..
People believe what they are told to believe its always been a political thing perpetrated by the big drug company's through their lobby groups,also its hard for them to collect a tax on it... Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Ares Abani
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:42:13 am »

Some Native Americans smoke pot as part of their religious ritual..Have no idea if that's good or bad tho..lol..It is however, just an herb..don't know nothing about LSD and Ecstasy.
Report Spam   Logged

CS Lewis says in 'A Grief Observed'
"I need Christ, not something that resembles Him.”
Magoo
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:32:56 am »

Most of them you  do have some level permanent brain damage.    Sexy can you tell the difference when someone is posting after they have been drinking?     Can you spot the changes when someone has been smoking?

Isn't there already a board on Cannabis here that you can spam.   This isn't so much a squeal as a quiet sigh of " here we go again".   
Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:26 am »

Name calling is the best you can do
your wrong get over it
Report Spam   Logged

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Magoo
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:37:18 am »

I am not name calling Sexy.  I couldn't care less if you gum your brain up.  Its your brain be my guest.    Like it or lump it you are a statistic.
Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 08:53:11 am »

your are a statistic so what
Report Spam   Logged

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
dragontamer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 09:18:35 am »

My point is people have been duped with a good deal of brain washing
for a strange reason some think all people that smoke pot are dopey
People believe what they are told to believe its always been a political thing perpetrated by the big drug company's through their lobby groups,also its hard for them to collect a tax on it... Grin

Sweetie.... I've seen plenty of people who were good, hard working, intelligent people turn into demotivated buffoons who make appalling decisions from long term use of pot (two of them are teetotallers which I find completely ridiculous).  I've seen this with my own eyes, not read about it. 

In fact, I can only think of one person who I hope doesn't stop using pot - he's a complete arsehole without it, but very calm and friendly on it.  I think he's undiagnosed with ADHD or something.  So as a treatment for some mental issues it's fine but for heavy users and/or people with other mental issues it is not.

Like Magoo, I couldn't give a rats arse if you smoke it, eat it, live and breathe it, but stop banging on trying to tell the rest of us it is an innocuous substance that doesn't have any detrimental effects..... we have experience to know you are wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 09:56:55 am »

I am not trying to promote pot

just saying there are far worse things
alcohol is one of these things it is far worse yet its a legal drug
and its well known as an addictive depressant it  has caused the deaths of 100,000s of people.

cigarettes also kill many 1000's of people yet are legal

How many have died from smoking pot? : bugger all
Report Spam   Logged

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
dragontamer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 10:19:02 am »

alcohol is one of these things it is far worse yet its a legal drug
and its well known as an addictive depressant it  has caused the deaths of 100,000s of people.

cigarettes also kill many 1000's of people yet are legal

Well, those two facts I'm not disputing.  But I don't think making mj legal is the answer either (the idea of it as a prescription drug works for me).  The latest poll shows most people support the banning the sale of cigarettes completely.  I have no problem with that, nor lowering the drink/driving limit. 

And before that sets you off on a 'big brother control' thingy, maybe there are too many controls, but they aren't in the right places.
Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 10:24:26 am »

The scientist in the story I posted got sacked for not saying what the British government wanted him to say.

His only sin was telling the truth
Report Spam   Logged

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 12:32:16 pm »

from The Washington Post....

The truth behind the ‘first marijuana overdose death’ headlines

“We are absolutely not saying that marijuana killed that child,” one of the study's authors said.

By ELLIE SILVERMAN | 11:12PM EST - Friday, November 17, 2017

Glass containers display varieties of marijuana for sale on shelves at The Station, a retail and medical cannabis dispensary, in Boulder, Colorado. — Photograph: Associated Press.
Glass containers display varieties of marijuana for sale on shelves at The Station, a retail and medical cannabis dispensary, in Boulder, Colorado.
 — Photograph: Associated Press.

A CASE REPORT about the seizure and death of an 11-month old after exposure to cannabis has prompted headlines about “the first marijuana overdose death” this week.

Except that's not what the doctors meant.

“We are absolutely not saying that marijuana killed that child,” said Thomas Nappe, an author of the report who is now the director of medical toxicology at St. Luke's University Health Network in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

Nappe, who co-authored the report with Christopher Hoyte, explained that the doctors simply observed this unusual sequence of events, documented it and alerted the medical community that it is worth studying a possible relationship between cannabis and the child's cause of death, myocarditis, or inflammation of the heart muscle.

Their observations appeared in the August edition of the journal Clinical Practice and Cases in Emergency Medicine as a case report, which is significantly different from a scientific study or research report that can be used to establish a causal relationship.

A spokesman for Denver Health wrote in an email that Hoyte would not be available for an interview late on Thursday. But he told the Cannabist on Friday that, “We're not saying definitively that marijuana caused the myocarditis. All we are saying is we didn't find any other reasons. So we need to study this further.”

The report states that the child experienced an “unstable motel-living situation” and the parents admitted to drug possessions, including cannabis. Nappe said the authors urge parents to be vigilant and keep cannabis out of reach of children.

The report recommends: “In states where cannabis is legalized, it is important that physicians not only counsel parents on preventing exposure to cannabis, but to also consider cannabis toxicity in unexplained pediatric myocarditis and cardiac deaths as a basis for urine drug screening in this setting.”

The authors added that, "As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis exposure.”

Nappe emphasized that the word “associated” should not be interpreted as indicating a cause and effect.

Drug policy and health experts also warned against making too much of the report.

“You just can't make those statements because then what happens is lay people say, ‘Oh my God, did you hear a kid died from marijuana poisoning?’ and it can be sensationalized,” said Noah Kaufman, a Northern Colorado emergency room physician.

“It's not based on reality. It's based on somebody kind of jumping the gun and making a conclusion, and scientifically you can't do that.”

Turns out, that's what happened in previous news reports, much to Nappe's dismay. Upon hearing that Nappe and Hoyte were not claiming that the child died from marijuana, Kaufman said “that's more responsible.”

Jonathan Caulkins, a professor at Carnegie Mellon University's Heinz College, said that it doesn't strike him as impossible that the death described in the report could be linked to marijuana.

“Unambiguously, cannabis can accelerate the heart,” said Caulkins, who is not a medical doctor but studies drug policy and markets. He also agreed that parents should keep marijuana out of reach of their children.

Millions of Americans use marijuana regularly, according to the most recent National Survey on Drug Use and Health, and addiction treatment researcher Keith Humphreys said cannabis consumption has “virtually no risk” of death.

The Drug Enforcement Administration states that there have been no reported overdose deaths from marijuana.

Even if after further studies it turns out that this child's death was caused by a marijuana overdose, it would be “a very unusual event,” said Humphreys, a Stanford University psychiatry professor who served as a senior policy adviser at the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy during the Obama administration.

“It would not be correct to go from this to a generalized panic about the lethality of cannabis. It's just not there,” Humphreys said.

“This is not an omen of a disaster to come.”

• Ellie Silverman is a summer intern for The Washington Post, covering cops and courts, and a recent graduate from the University of Maryland, College Park.

Related to this topic:

• VIDEO: How marijuana legalization in Washington, Colorado and Oregon is working out so far

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/11/17/the-truth-behind-the-first-marijuana-overdose-death
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
aDjUsToR
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 07:26:35 pm »

Marijuana criminalisation comes from an irrational and anal mindset.
Report Spam   Logged
aDjUsToR

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 07:29:28 pm »

Having said that, it is most likely bad for developing brains and definitely it should be a criminal offense to drive or work while high.
Report Spam   Logged
aDjUsToR

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 07:55:26 pm »

Anal politicians have no logical explanation for making criminals out of marijuana users yet allowing alcohol and cigarette use.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: