Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 06:54:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Sending Foodstuffs to the UK

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending Foodstuffs to the UK  (Read 234 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:21:16 pm »

question ....

my partner is currently on holiday in the UK for a few months ...

i want to send some good old Marmite and Peanut Butter over so that they dont just forget about me but get to enjoy two of their favourite spreads

now i called the UK High Com who were bloody useless and told me to go check out a web site that would tell me what i could send

yeah right that was most hlpful NOT !!

i  have found out from another source that Marmite isnt a problem its NZ made

the Peanut Butters i have are Sanitarium made in Australia and ETA made in China

has anyone on the Board ever sent food to the UK especially Peanut Butter

my partner is hanging out for both and i need to score major brownie points having promised to send them ....
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:36:28 pm »

peanut butter might be a problem, not many countrys will let you bring in nuts.

I bring heaps in from nz but nothing with nuts, sorry
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:41:51 pm »

Have only mailed chocolate to the UK....cos my late MIL thought our NZ chocolate was the best she'd ever tasted.   
I'm sure you can buy Marmite in the UK.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:56:39 am »

I believe it is possible to buy marmite in the U.K. you could in the late 70s anyway but it may not be the same taste as the NZ made stuff.

Here is the info I think you are looking for, I found it by following links from the NZ Post site.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/banned-restricted.htm and http://dontbringmeback.direct.gov.uk/index.html

By the looks of it Marmite is definately allowed (it is a yeast extract).

Peanut butter is restricted but according to this list http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/foodstuffcontrols100316.pdf you may have to send an email to an address on the "don't bring me back " site to confirm that.

On the plus side the peanut butter availible in the U.K. is likely to be the same as the stuff here and you can send all sorts of other stuff like Anzac Biscuits and Manuka honey.

Here is a nifty site for checking meat, dairy, fruit and vegtables into the UK http://importdetails.defra.gov.uk/Default.aspx?Location=None&Module=IDDSearch and here is the leaflet http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/prod_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_179104.pdf

Last of all is this:

I want to send a food parcel from Australia to my son in the UK. The parcel would include snack foods such as Vegemite. Will this be allowed?

Provided the food you want to send to your son contains no meat, meat products, fish over 1kg or dairy products, a gift of a food parcel containing a few packets of snack foods should be allowed as a personal import.
http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/imports/imports_advice/personal_imp/faqs/

The same rules are likely to apply for NZ so Pinapple lumps and other sweets should be ok

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:40:54 am »

How to Make Peanut Butter

I used a wee bit of peanut oil to help keep the mix moving, got it sorta smooth before I got bored and went back to buying it

Like this page?
Send it to a friend!

While it is true that shop-bought ready-prepared peanut butter is (in general) readily available in places where peanut butter is part of the staple diet, it is also true that in other parts of the world it is not so easy to get hold of (a bit like Marmite). If you should find yourself in such a place - or you simply have a yen for that homemade taste - do not despair. As it turns out, peanut butter is astonishingly simple to make. Warning: this product may contain nuts.

Ingredients

•500g (1lb) shelled peanuts
•Approx 30ml (2 tablespoons) peanut oil
•Salt (to taste)
Method

Generally speaking you can buy your peanuts already roasted - either salted or unsalted are acceptable for this recipe. However, if you really want to go from first principles, for the ultimate in freshness, you can roast your own. This can be done with the shells on or off - the times given are for peeled peanuts. If roasting with the shell on, add another ten minutes. Just place your peanuts onto a baking tray and roast in a cool oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Once cooled, peel away the shells. Any red skin should be easy to rub off using a clean tea towel.

Next, grind the nuts up. A blender/food mixer is ideal for doing this. Of course, it depends on whether you are a smooth or crunchy peanut butter person as to just how small you grind the nuts.

Then simply add the oil a few drops at a time and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes a paste of your preferred consistency. If you are using a blender/food mixer, you can add the oil all at once and whizz for about 15 seconds.

Add salt to taste, and enjoy!

A Note About Peanut Oil

If you can't find peanut oil1, pretty much any other kind of cooking oil is an acceptable alternative. Just remember that if the oil has a strong flavour (eg sesame oil), your peanut butter will also have that flavour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Peanuts are also known as groundnuts, earthnuts and goobers - so the oil from any of these should be the same.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A824410

ummmmm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/07/18/bnp-hate-party-face-ruin-over-joke-marmite-ad-115875-22420867/   
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:02:12 pm »

thanks guys ...

ive searched many UK web sites and have decided to email one and i await a reply ... will let everyone know the answer on the Peanut Butter

i have made my own Peanut Butter using the Magic Bullet flound it worked better than the old Blender or Food Processor plus one cn control the amount of " crunch "

Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 01:14:17 pm »

wella response of sorts from those in the know who cant answer a direct question with a direct answer ...

what is it with the British authorities whenever we have called them they refer you to this web page and that web page always avoiding giving you straight answers and it costs you per minute to speak with them ...

Dear

Thank you for your email of 20 July about sending peanut butter from New Zealand to the UK.

You may send a reasonable amount of these products to the UK as gifts. Please note that the rules for personal imports of animal products from countries outside the European Union (EU) changed from Friday 1 May 2009. These new rules increase the allowance for fish and fishery products, and affect other animal products. Meat and dairy products are still banned. For more information about personal imports please visit our website at http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/imports/imports_advice/personal_imp/ Please note that the information on our website is not product specific - all references will be to "food that has no animal content".

You will also find the attached information published on the direct.gov.uk website useful http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/TravellingAbroad/BringinggoodsorcashintotheUK/DG_064942 as well as the information published on Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/banned-restricted.htm#3

The advice contained in this email should not be taken as an authoritative statement of the law or its interpretation. Only the courts can decide whether in particular circumstances an offence has been committed.

Yours sincerely

Ian Grist
Higher Executive Officer, Imported Food Branch
Enforcement & Local Authority Delivery Division
Food Standards Agency
Aviation House, 125 Kingsway, London, WC2B 6NH
Tel: 020 7276 8018 Fax: 020 7276 8463
Email: imported.food@foodstandards.gsi.gov.uk

www.food.gov.uk
www.eatwell.gov.uk

This email is intended for the recipient, or copy recipients only. It must not be reproduced or forwarded without the permission of the sender.

@xtra.co.nz>

20/07/2010 01:58

To: <helpline@foodstandards.gsi.gov.uk>
cc:
Subject: Sending Foodstuff to the UK

Hi ... I'm hoping someone can help please ... I wish to send to my partner in the UK a jar of Sanitarium Marmite which is made in New Zealand and a jar of Peanut Butter ... I have two jars of Peanut Butter one Sanitarium which is made in Australia and one ETA Brand which is made in China .. searching various UK web sites it seems that Marmite isn't a problem to send however I cant find anything about Peanut Butter .. would you please advise me of the Rules etc ... cheers  New Zealand

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) In case of problems, please call your organisation?x02019;s IT Helpdesk.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

Food Standards Agency (FSA)

For the latest food news and information visit www.food.gov.uk

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only. Unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. If you have received this email in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender immediately by return email.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet (GSI) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable & Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs and on leaving the GSI this email was certified virus-free. However you should always use your own virus-scanning software to ensure mail and attachments are safe to open.

Communications on the FSA's computer systems may be monitored and/or recorded to secure effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 01:28:18 pm »

I'd just send the peanut butter Newt.   Just don't send the animal (monkey) with it.   If its not allowed, though I'm sure it will be, they will stop it at their end.
I'm sure it won't end up like the xmas cake and chocolates we sent my mil in Glasgow one time.   Taken away by the bomb disposal unit.  We were about to mail it  when our Irish neighbour said she would deliver it personally on her way back to Belfast.    She ran out of time  so mailed it when she got to Belfast.   If she had put her name or ours on the parcel the mil would have known but receiving parcels from an unknown sender with a Belfast postmark rang alarm bells and mil  phoned the police.   Grin
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:26:57 pm by Ferney » Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 02:01:28 pm »

Gods! Clear as mud.

I would send it, I might even put a note in for the customs officer.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:03:46 pm »

im going to send it in the next couple of days and i will print off a copy of the email [ mine and their reply ] and add it to the parcel ...

i have found the British authorities really difficult to deal with  ..

my partner applied for a Youth Visa but was declined on a technically over how much money they had that would show should they need to leave the country they had enough money [ 1600 pounds ] the Bank Statements had been properly stamped and signed by th eBank so instead of calling and asking to send them back in again they declined ... funny that they called over another matter and were happy to receive a Faxed Copy of the paper which had to be Signed !!!

when i rang [ cost me $30 ] to inquire about the Youth Visa and what exactly one had to do when reapplying for one i was told to go to a web page  when i explained that we knew all about that page BUT what we wanted to know exactly was what they wanted

oh this signed by the Bank and that signed by the Bank [ which was what had been sent before] ...

so off to the Bank we went asked nicely for the Bank Statements told them what on who they were for and they did exactly what they did the first time and said that is all they need as the Bank did this all the time 

we sent the Forms and Bank Statements and NZ Passport off again plus another $285 and waited ....

and low and behold 4 weeks later we get Passport back from Canberra with Visa glued and laminated to page

everything sent the 2nd time WAS exactly the same as the 1st time ...

now dont get me started on the Min of Justice Criminal Record Check that was needed as well ...

that took 8 weeks to arrive here in Wellington

I sent a PDF to my partner but the Employer requires the " original " copy in the UK not a photocopy however the "original " has a photocopied signature not an original signed when posted ...

now work that one out

i now have a dilemma as I've received another identical letter from MoJ today !!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: