Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 10:46:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Roses

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roses  (Read 735 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: June 30, 2010, 01:18:25 pm »

I went to a talk on growing roses in Auckland last month given by a member of the Rose Soceity to the local Garden Circle.

Very interesting.

Here are some of the hints -

1. Don't put bark chips around your roses - they really don't like it.

2. Same goes for weed matting.

3. When purning don't leave a little stump of cane if you are removing an old cane. Remove the whole thing leave with the graft/base.

4. Feed your roses.

5. If an older rose is not sending up new canes brush the base where the canes normally grow from with a wire brush.

The rest of these apply to Northland and Auckland.

6. Prune between 20 July and 20 August, never later.

7. If on clay soil lime your roses with dolamite lime annually.

8. When planting roses bury the stem if they have one (don't do this further south). This is because the warmer temperatures day and night cause the sap to dry in the stem and not reach the leaves.

9. For standard roses wrap the trunks in hessian bandage 7.5cm wide (buy from hessian by the metre from Spotlight and cut into strips). This will help prevent the sap drying up before it reaches the bush.

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ssweetpea

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 11:12:02 pm »

Well I am not quite half way through pruning the roses.

Some of my old fashioned ones have only had light clip backs since the kids were born and a couple were being over run by honey suckle so it is a big job I am doing on them for a change.  It helps that this year I have a decent pair of gardening gloves.

Tomorrow if the weather holds and I can find both the pruning saw and the welding gauntlets I will tackle Mermaid. Leather gloves aren't up to the job of giving this rose a prune hence some of what needs to be cut out is now too big for the loppers.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
ssweetpea

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:12:20 pm »

It is that time of year again. Time to prune roses.

Tell me, given the mild winter we have had how the heck am I suppose to prune roses? Several of mine are in flower and most have buds on them and have never lost their leaves.

This year really has been a bit winterless up north.
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:56:25 am »

I flew into a rage with my roses last year, dug the lot up and planted them at the bushline where they can either sink or swim - and I dont care which.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:42:08 pm »

It is that time of year again. Time to prune roses.

Tell me, given the mild winter we have had how the heck am I suppose to prune roses? Several of mine are in flower and most have buds on them and have never lost their leaves.

This year really has been a bit winterless up north.

And then we got snow in Auckland LOL

I am a strong believer in leaving roses to their own devices if you haven't got the time to mollycoddle them. I did that when Sp1 was born followed by 2 and 3.

The result is that only one hybrid tea survived but several florabunders did and most of my old fashioned types flourished.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: