Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 05:16:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Breakfast big mouth strikes again

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breakfast big mouth strikes again  (Read 5612 times)
guest49
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2010, 07:03:01 pm »

mmmmm
Damned if I let anyones actions dictate the way I vote!
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2010, 08:19:55 pm »

Special for peeps wot just got B/B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1eWIGo-XI&feature=player_embedded

Check out some of the others on the playlist   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2010, 06:26:33 pm »

shocked!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/blogs/opinion/4166958/They-came-bearing-gifts
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 10:23:23 am »

Henry in hot water over Governor-General comments
NZPA
October 4, 2010, 9:09 am

Television New Zealand host Paul Henry today questioned whether Governor-General Sir Anand Satyanand is a New Zealander or not.

When assured by Prime Minister John Key that he was Henry asked if he was going to pick someone who looked more like a New Zealander next time.

Sir Anand is New Zealand's first Governor-General of Indian and Pacific ancestry. He had a lengthy career as a lawyer, judge and ombudsman before taking up the job in August 2006.

He was born and raised in Auckland, attending Richmond Road School in Ponsonby, and Sacred Heart College in Glen Innes. His parents were born in Fiji and migrated to New Zealand, his grandparents were born in India and had migrated to Fiji.

On the Breakfast programme this morning Henry asked the Prime Minister about who he was looking to replace Sir Anand with when his five year term ends this year.

"Is he even a New Zealander?" Henry asked.

Mr Key said he was.

"Are you going to choose a New Zealander who looks and sounds like a New Zealander this time... Are we going to go for someone who is more like a New Zealander this time?"

Mr Key appeared uncomfortable with the questioning but moved on to joking about whether Henry wanted the job.

He said whoever was chosen would need to be acceptable to other parties and his selection would be run by Labour.

"This is the Queen's representative and you don't want to embroil her in a domestic political spat."

A spokesman for Broadcasting Minister Jonathan Coleman said Henry's remarks were a matter for TVNZ to comment on. Calls to the broadcaster were not immediately returned.

Sir Anand is in India for the Commonwealth Games. NZPA is seeking comment.

Henry's remark follows a slew of off-colour remarks.

He previously called Scottish singing star Susan Boyle as "retarded" which The Broadcasting Standards Authority (BSA) found breached the broadcasting standard relating to discrimination and denigration.

"He mocked and belittled Ms Boyle on the basis of her intellectual disability. This is contrary to common decency and a clear breach of the good taste and decency standard."

On another occasion he mocked the facial hair of one of his female guests anti-nuclear campaigner and Greenpeace worker Stephanie Mills.

"It was a moustache on a lady," he said. The BSA also upheld a complaint over that one.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/8062831/henry-in-hot-water-over-governor-general-comments/
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 10:47:58 am »

Fair comment, however he went down in my estimation when he referred to Turia as [and I quote] "Hot."
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 11:14:34 am »

From yesterday's HERALD on SUNDAY newspaper — yet another example of Paul Henry being a nasty arsehole....

Paul Henry talks his way into trouble
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Magoo
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 12:03:57 pm »

I think I am beginning to like Paul Henry.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2010, 01:02:04 pm »

I think I am beginning to like Paul Henry.

Good to see you like people who deliberately pronounce other people's names in an obscene way, even when the correct pronunciation is pointed out to the idiot Paul Henry.

Perhaps I should start pronouncing his name Paul “kiddy-fiddler” Henry and continuing to do so even when the correct pronunciation is pointed out to me, eh?
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2010, 02:31:52 pm »

One of the biggest problems today is that everybody is offended.  Everybody is angry.   Just look what happens on this board when you express a personal opinion.      So much anger.   There is so much angst and gnashing of teeth around here that even this board has come to a stand still.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2010, 03:27:42 pm »

There was an item on the 4:00pm Radio New Zealand News about Paul Henry apologising profusely to our New Zealand-born & bred Governor General for slagging him off.

I betcha the idiot's bosses at TVNZ freaked out over him being an arsehole towards our head of state in that way and brought the hammer down on him and told him to grovel.

The man is clearly an idiot (and a total tosser)....just look at the way he slagged off at Susan Boyle and called her a RETARD.
Report Spam   Logged

Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2010, 04:15:05 pm »

Paul Henry is the retard.   He probably didn't even know that Anand was born and grew up in NZ.
Henry says these things to get attention otherwise no one would notice him.  Thats all he's interested in.

...or maybe he was called Windowhead when he was a kid. 

when he won some award recently someone said to me  "Says a lot about Kiwi's doesn't it"   
Report Spam   Logged
akadaka
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2010, 04:30:14 pm »

paul henry was being brilliant as usual.If you see the whole show there was a bit of slagging off about van dyke being the flag carrier for n.z and a few texted in with comments like "she was not born here " and "what a stupid name she has got,sounds like a lesbian".What paul did was very similar and i think a parody of those comments where he knew the more intelligent viewers would have picked it up!
Report Spam   Logged

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
guest49
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2010, 04:36:09 pm »

]

Perhaps I should start pronouncing his name Paul “kiddy-fiddler” Henry and continuing to do so even when the correct pronunciation is pointed out to me, eh?

Hmmmmm

Ive tried and tried, but I can see no way that kiddy-fiddler can be confused with with the pronunciation of Paul Henry, but hey.......  Whatever floats your boat!
He still has an 80% popularity rating in spite of your opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2010, 04:40:53 pm »

He still has an 80% popularity rating in spite of your opinion.

Ferney hit the nail right on the head.....

“when he won some award recently someone said to me  "Says a lot about Kiwi's doesn't it" ...”

I could easily picture Paul Henry rolling around the ground pissing himself laughing while pointing at intellectually-disabled people. After all, he did call Susan Boyle a RETARD on primetime television in NZ, so I suppose that isn't too much different to pointing at intellectually-disabled people in public and laughing at them.

I guess those 80% of NZers would cheer Paul Henry on while he behaves like that too!
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2010, 05:33:23 pm »

Contributor quits Breakfast after Henry's comments
Yahoo!Xtra
October 4, 2010, 1:49 pm

Tech commentator Ben Gracewood has quit the Breakfast show after Paul Henry questioned whether Governor-General Sir Anand Satyanand is a New Zealander or not.

Henry urged the Prime Minister to select a Governor-General who "looks and sounds more like a New Zealander," sparking complaints from offended viewers.

Gracewood, who regularly reviews tech gadgets on Breakfast, has walked away from the show after the latest comments from Henry.

He wrote on his online blog saying he was "resigning my post as a regular gadget and tech presenter... I decided I’ve had enough... anyone who would like to foment racism simply for a laugh or to get more viewers can take a jump."

Sir Anand is New Zealand's first Governor-General of Indian and Pacific ancestry. He had a lengthy career as a lawyer, judge and ombudsman before taking up the job in August 2006.

He was born and raised in Auckland, attending Richmond Road School in Ponsonby, and Sacred Heart College in Glen Innes. His parents were born in Fiji and migrated to New Zealand, his grandparents were born in India and had migrated to Fiji.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/8064609/contributor-quits-breakfast-after-henrys-comments/

Paul Henry: the best and worst comments
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/news-gallery/a/-/article/7992610/image/1/the-controversial-paul-henry/

Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2010, 05:35:31 pm »

I guess those 80% of NZers would cheer Paul Henry on while he behaves like that too!

Quite possibly.  Who cares?
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2010, 05:49:48 pm »

Trouble is he cuts too close to the bone; honesty as general entertainment should not so be brutal.

imo using it nation-wide is unfair, keeping it for your own circle of friends is probably acceptable

Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2010, 06:16:30 pm »

People take it all too seriously.  This man is paid to entertain and he is getting lots of free advertising.     I can easily imagine that people who have never watched his show will tune in tomorrow to see what he is all about.   He knows that being controversial will put his face on the front page.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2010, 06:28:41 pm »

People take it all too seriously.  This man is paid to entertain and he is getting lots of free advertising.     I can easily imagine that people who have never watched his show will tune in tomorrow to see what he is all about.   He knows that being controversial will put his face on the front page.

at least he didn't ask if Sir Anand Satyanand's parents were married --- or even worse, overstayers.   
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2010, 06:40:31 pm »

And he didn't call him a retard. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 07:09:06 pm »

I think that on this occasion, what he said was a bit over the top, and it deserved an apology, which he has given.
Should be the end of it in my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2010, 11:43:18 pm »

People take it all too seriously.  This man is paid to entertain and he is getting lots of free advertising.     I can easily imagine that people who have never watched his show will tune in tomorrow to see what he is all about.   He knows that being controversial will put his face on the front page.

I always have this mental picture of lots of people watching "breakfast" just so they cab be the first to complain. I bet they are so disappointed when he doesn't upset them.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2010, 06:49:40 am »

Sir Anand Satyanand is not offended by Paul Henry's comments, so why should other people be, he wasn't referring to them?

People get on their high horse over nothing sometimes.

It was said in a joking way, but then maybe the people who complained were of Indian descent and have no sense of humour?

Yes Paul Henry says some things that are meant to be shocking, but in some cases it can be refreshing to throw all the PC crap out of the window.
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2010, 06:55:27 am »

Hey KTJ and all the others championing PC crap, there was a song we sang as kids. It starts with 'sticks and stones.' How about you google that and then listen to the great message in that song.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2010, 07:18:28 am »

Hey KTJ and all the others championing PC crap, there was a song we sang as kids. It starts with 'sticks and stones.' How about you google that and then listen to the great message in that song.
I fear the great NZ sense of humour is dead.   I have just watched the interview with John Key again and I think he did a good job of suppressing his laughter and saw the comment for what it was.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: