Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 04:54:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Homework - cook dinner/play sports

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homework - cook dinner/play sports  (Read 139 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 22, 2009, 12:06:21 pm »

Schools across the country are slashing homework back to the basics - while others are telling kids that cooking dinner, joining a sports team and helping in the community is far more important than spending hours on science projects.

Some parents who have traditionally put great weight on the amount of homework their kids do are now telling schools they won't be enforcing it at home.

And the research is on their side. Academics say homework:

* makes no difference to primary school students' achievement, although in high school it can boost achievement;

* helps bright kids the most; for others, it is often just a reminder that they cannot do a task;

* requires good feedback from teachers and backs up what the student learnt at school;

* has "zero evidence" supporting the idea it teaches time-management or study skills.

There is little dispute that taking some schoolwork home can be valuable but the "busywork" - the weekly worksheets and long- term projects that cause such stress for families (and are all too often completed with excessive parental help) - is on the way out.

At least seven New Zealand primary schools have ditched these worksheets and projects in favour of a term-by-term system covering sports, community work and even cooking (see box, right).

Other schools are sending parents newsletters to announce that they are slashing homework time.

However, some - such as Otumoetai Intermediate in Tauranga - are holding fast. Its homework policy says: "Most students, parents and teachers prefer to have a weekly homework sheet, as this is more likely to develop time management skills."

And that, teachers say, is the problem. Parents panic every time a school cuts back on old-fashioned homework. PPTA head Kate Gainsford says some parents believe that "if there's a lot of homework that means that there's a lot of learning. That isn't always so".

Sarah Beavis, 46, a New Plymouth mother-of-three, last year told her son's primary school teacher that she would no longer enforce homework in her house. "If he wants to do it, that's fine. But I'm not going to stand over him.

"Some parents seem to think that's the only way they can get involved with what their kids are doing at school. It's almost like a bragging point, 'Oh, my 10-year-old does two hours' homework every night'."

But with three children all heavily involved in surf-lifesaving, Beavis says sometimes there simply isn't time. Since she gave up her standover tactics, her children have continued to do their homework.

Research suggests Beavis is taking the right approach. A recent highly regarded study by Auckland University education professor John Hattie, which analysed the effectiveness of 113 different teaching tactics, ranked homework a lowly 88th.

Hattie says he turned up "zero evidence" homework helps improve time management or study skills. Instead, it is something you do after you learn those skills.

Hattie recommends a maximum of 20 minutes' homework per night: "the shorter the better".

"The thing I detest the most is long-term projects," says Hattie. In many cases, "all you're measuring is the parent's skills".

What does make a real difference is parents who take an interest. "Having high expectations - that's probably the most powerful thing parents can do."

The Ministry of Education said homework could be effective, but "should not be excessive and should not unnecessarily fatigue and frustrate students".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4856095a7694.html?source=RSStopstories_20090222
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 01:40:47 pm »

One point in favour of homework is it gives you as a parent a good idea of how well you child is doing so no surprises come report time.

If sp2 didn't have the occasional bit of homework we would have no idea, she doesn't tell you what she did at school even when asked.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:35:36 pm »

Ive got no opinion on this either way, some kids achieve higher grades when they do extra work, some kids burn out, tune out and find it irksome , boring and percieve it as a legal and unfair form of torture? It should be made voluntary so the bright ones dont switch off altogether. Theres nothing more tragic than a wasted mind.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:51:23 am by bumphead benny » Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:52:32 pm »

8 yr old gson does his homework with me after school 4 nights a week.  Son doesn't get home till 7 so thats a bit late.  I collect him from school on my way home from work and his stepmother picks him up at 5.  He likes to do homework with me and does all the maths on Mondays as thats his favourite, spelling every night and reading and it has to be signed.
I also take him to sports training twice a week.   
I think its a good habit to get into as long as there is not too much of it.

A secondary school I pass every day gets out at 2.30 ??!!  What happened to 3.30 ?
Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 04:54:29 am »

My second daughter used to do the whole week's homework sheet on a Monday. On Friday morning, her elder sister would be found scribbling some sort of answers on hers. When second daughter hit standard 3, the teacher decided to push to see how far she'd go. He used to get the words out of the Readers Digest for her, every week without fail she'd get 100%. The poor man was amazed, he told me he had to mark it with the RD because he couldn't remember either the spelling or the meanings.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: