Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 07:47:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Insomnia cure at the push of a button

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insomnia cure at the push of a button  (Read 360 times)
Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: February 23, 2009, 05:55:34 pm »

Insomnia cure at the push of a button

There are few things as frustrating as not being able to fall asleep.

Insomnia affects almost everyone at some stage and exacts a high toll on society in lost productivity and lowered moods.

Now science appears to be on the verge of a chemical-free remedy for sleeplessness, using magnetism to send people to sleep.

Researchers at an American University used weak magnetic pulses to stimulate the brains of volunteers and found they were able to trigger the type of brain waves normally found during the deepest sleep.

They now hope to adapt the technology to create devices which would cure people's insomnia at the push of a button.

Machines capable of reducing the amount of time needed for people to receive a refereshing sleep are also a possibility.

However, the work has been met with caution by leading Australian sleep scientists who believe far more research is needed to establish whether test subjects are enjoying the full benefits of deep sleep.

Giulio Tononi, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health conducted the magnet study, which was recently published in a peer reviewed journal.

The work centred on inducing slow wave sleep, which is thought to be linked to the restoration of good mood and our ability to learn, think and remember.

Scientists often divide the time we spend sleeping into REM sleep when rapid eye movement can be seen and dreaming occurs and non-REM sleep.

Stage one of non-REM sleep is regarded as the gateway to sleep where conscious awareness of the world around the sleeper declines.

Stage two occupies about half of the total time spent sleeping and is characterised by awareness of the outside world disappearing.

In stage three delta waves associated with deep sleep appear. This is followed by stage four, the deepest level of sleep. Slow wave sleep is associated with stages three and four.

Participants in Tononi's study were allowed to fall asleep and then subjected to transcranial magnetic stimulation, a process which sends a magnetic pulse through the skull.

Test subjects began immediately producing slow waves typical of deep sleep.

``With a single pulse, we were able to induce a wave that looks identical to the waves the brain makes normally during sleep,'' the professor said in a statement.

Tononi's team said it was possible the research could be used to create a device that would trigger slow waves in the brains of those having trouble going to sleep, helping with their insomnia.

It may also be possible to reduce the time taken to reach slow wave sleep, meaning short naps could eventually be almost as restorative as long sleeps.

But Professor Drew Dawson, director of the Centre for Sleep Research at the University of South Australia said more work was needed.

He was not convinced inducing slow wave brain activity in people automatically meant they received all the benefits of deep sleep.

Are we on the verge of eliminating insomnia?

Would you use this technology to help you sleep?

Read more Discovery articles

http://blogs.smh.com.au/science/archives/2007/05/insomnia_cure_at_the_push_of_a.html

I would like to try it if it is safe  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:16:59 pm »

I would settle for some airconditioning.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:46:00 pm »

Insomnia cure at the push of a button.

A hammer would be cheaper
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:48:36 pm »

They reckon going for a walk does wonders - Ive never had insomnia troubles.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:57:16 pm »

I generally go straight to sleep after my buttons have been pushed..
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 06:59:47 pm »

I generally go straight to sleep after my buttons have been pushed..

ummm does that mean after the 15 minute pan flash that constitutes *making love/having sex*?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:01:47 pm »

and Mrs Rob goes to sleep before it starts. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:05:17 pm »

Steady on girls... you're making assumptions.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 07:08:26 pm »

LOL .. You are the ony man in australasia, Rob, who takes longer than 30 mins and doesnt roll over straight away??
Report Spam   Logged

k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:09:06 pm »

hahahah,  sorry it is just your photo make the bad in me come out
Report Spam   Logged

robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:12:32 pm »

Including foreplay?
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:15:56 pm »

Including foreplay?

Shocked  That should be a 24 hour a day thing - so no.
Report Spam   Logged

robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:23:33 pm »

OK...I'm disqualified I guess..
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:33:23 pm »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 07:36:07 pm »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 08:03:01 pm »

Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 08:17:52 pm »

Including foreplay?

or should that read floorplay
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 01:54:27 am »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: