Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 11:06:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

RIP, Equal, Nutrasweet and Splenda

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP, Equal, Nutrasweet and Splenda  (Read 405 times)
Nitpicker1
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:52:46 pm »

You drink diet soda, so you must be healthier. Right?

That's what New York Gov. David Paterson is talking about with his proposal for an "obesity tax" — a 15 percent slap on non-diet sugary soft drinks. Think $1 for a Diet Coke, $1.15 for a Coke.

There's just one problem: Studies have found links between drinking diet sodas and obesity and diabetes.

A 2005 study at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, and separate studies released in 2007 at the University of Alberta in Canada and the University of Massachusetts found that diet soda drinkers were more likely than regular soda drinkers to be obese....

(my comment: Surely only someone who considered themself overweight would drink the diet stuff, anyway, so where's the value of that conclusion?)

...Also, several studies by U.S. and European researchers have tied the artificial sweetener aspartame (NutraSweet), which is used to sweeten many diet sodas, to cancer, headaches and organ damage -- though both the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the European Union maintain that the studies they've reviewed show that the product is safe.

....According to Paterson's proposal, the obesity tax would net an extra $404 million a year for the state and help close its projected $15 billion deficit.

In addition to soda, sugary drinks containing less than 70 percent fruit juice would be subject to the tax, a spokeswoman for the governor told FOXNews.com. read more

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468245,00.html

~~~~~~~~~~

Stevia STEVIA AT LAST!!  ?   It's been approved in Aussie and NZ,  see also  

Move over Equal, Nutrasweet and Splenda - there's a new kid on the block and it is oh, so sweet.The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved two new zero-calorie sweeteners made from a plant, but its usage is nothing new to many countries.
www.timesrepublican.com/page/content.detail/id/513723.html?nav=5002
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:57:12 pm »

diet soda drinkers were more likely than regular soda drinkers to be obese....

I dont think I even support that comment - you see heaps of people who are average/normal drinking diet whatever.  Its the fattys that buy the cheaper more colour and sugar drinks.  Mind you its a US study eh?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 08:51:44 pm »

Now there is a piece of poor statistical analisis.

Why would anyone who is not overweight or obese drink diet soft drink?

There would be no need to. Sugar sweetened drinks are more availible and sometimes cheaper.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:13:45 pm »

Softdrinks are the crappiest stuff you can put in your mouth and thas a fact. It reportedly takes close to 20 glasses of water to clear out ONE can of coke from the body, its waaay too acidic and this upsets the bodys alkaline balance. Humans are naturally alkaline, therefore putting acidic foods in your guts is asking for trouble, i.e colitis, constipation, acid reflux, gas, halitosis, weight gain, diverticulitis (or something like that?) heaps of other illnesses I cant remember. The tax if anything is a tax on numbskulls and ignorant fools who will die early anyway, so waddafuck?..let em drink that shet I dont give a hoot.
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Nitpicker1
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:37:22 pm »

Softdrinks are the crappiest stuff you can put in your mouth and thas a fact. It reportedly takes close to 20 glasses of water to clear out ONE can of coke from the body, its waaay too acidic and this upsets the bodys alkaline balance. Humans are naturally alkaline, therefore putting acidic foods in your guts is asking for trouble, i.e colitis, constipation, acid reflux, gas, halitosis, weight gain, diverticulitis (or something like that?) heaps of other illnesses I cant remember. The tax if anything is a tax on numbskulls and ignorant fools who will die early anyway, so waddafuck?..let em drink that shet I dont give a hoot.

perhaps the 20 glasses of town supply water you drink to flush out the acidic softdrink can are more likely to give ya  colitis, constipation, acid reflux, gas, halitosis, weight gain, diverticulitis (or something like that?) heaps of other illnesses I cant remember  
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:52:10 am »

Yeh I reckon.

Ive been a coke addict for decades - never drink any other soft drink - even as a mixer.

We go through a 1.5L a day.

Dont have any internal health problems like that!

Mythbusters did a good program on coke and debunked just about everything that had come out about it.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 06:46:43 am »

diet soda drinkers were more likely than regular soda drinkers to be obese....
I suppose that's why they drink it!
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
wgtngirl
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 06:53:57 am »

Talking about sugary drinks....every year at schools around nz, loads of kids take packets of raro to school and suck the grains off their fingers like sherbet. 
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 07:01:21 am »

Talking about sugary drinks....every year at schools around nz, loads of kids take packets of raro to school and suck the grains off their fingers like sherbet. 

YUMMMMM theyve been doing that since Raro was put into packets, rather than the tins of yummmm.

I used to put one tin of Raro - one teaspoon of citric acid add water to make it up to 2 litres.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

wgtngirl
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 07:05:13 am »

I can'r remember raro in a tin.  What I do remember is having to make up gregg's drink with a load of sugar and water....blerk.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 07:14:46 am »

I can'r remember raro in a tin. 

OOppss showing my age  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

chrismrky

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:52:57 am »

one thing i noticed when watching some of these 'obese' programmes coming out of USA, is that when they talk about drinking 'a soda'   they are not always talking about a 'can' .  The refill cups that you get over there are ENORMOUS...... probably about 3 cans worth.   I was watching some REALLY BIG DUDE talking about his weight problem and he drank about 10!!!!!! per day.  He couldnt move,  his mum had to bring them to him.    it was GROSS.... really,   I cant believe people let themselves get to that state.  Not just overweight but hugely,enormously,grossly overweight and mostly from just sheer eating.  my hubby is no 'slim,jim'  but hell, even he would be just the size of one of those guys legs..... ewww Shocked

Report Spam   Logged

today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....is it really been that bad today?

If we can put two men on the moon.....why cant we put the whole lot there? eh?
Nitpicker1
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 07:16:40 am »

For anyone who may be seriously interested in artifical sweeteners, THIS: their pros and cons, is a good reference for study. (IMO)
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 06:54:29 am »

'I'm no poster girl for sweetener'

TV food expert Nikki Hart says she's "not the poster girl" for controversial chemical aspartame, despite being paid to promote it by Diet Coke.

The nutritionist and presenter of Eat Yourself Whole and The Fat Chance has been criticised over her efforts to ease fears about the alternative sweetener.

"There has been a lot of scaremongering about aspartame so Diet Coke asked me to provide knowledge about it," she said.

"I will promote wholefoods, I will promote anything that I believe is safe, which aspartame has proven to be."

Aspartame is found in an array of food and drinks and is often labelled 951 on products in New Zealand.

Hart agreed to join forces with Coca-Cola Oceania to dispel claims it has adverse side-effects but refused to reveal how much she was being paid.

"I am there to advise about all sweeteners and because they know that I am on the Low Calorie Advisory Sweeteners Board, they felt I had the most up-to-date information about it.

"I wish people would see that I'm not out there to get paid gazillions of dollars by a company to prove a topic.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10554540&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: