Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 05:52:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

NZ Universities To Raise Academic Standards

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NZ Universities To Raise Academic Standards  (Read 214 times)
ballasted moth
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: May 13, 2010, 06:23:10 pm »

Another indictment on Labour as universities raise standards as govt cuts funding for all comers
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Calliope

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 10:21:09 pm »

who says it will raise standards?
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Magoo
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 06:54:18 am »

Got a link BM?
Report Spam   Logged
ballasted moth

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 07:34:57 am »

The universities  An amazing admission
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
Crusader
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:35:43 am »

What are you talking about? Can you provide a link so we can see?
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 09:38:58 am »

He won't, he doesn't have the brain power being solid ivory from the eyebrows up... but

Resently ie earlier this year the Waikato uni actually did say in an article in the Waikato times that it was going to have to Raise Academic Standards even at our famil day the made a statement about it... personally I think it could be a good thing even tho I'm not that bright and I'm going to Uni, I know of a number who are professional students, maybe it'll weed out the moochers...
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
Calliope

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:39:40 am »

obviously this stems from a report that universities are capping enrolments.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Universities-unfair-to-cap-student-numbers/tabid/423/articleID/155513/Default.aspx
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 09:42:08 am »

Crusader - it is totally useless to ask BM for a link as he/she never provides them.

I have yet to figure out if this is because BM posts via text/cell phone or just hasn't figured out how to use copy and paste or is very copyright shy.

I do have an inkling of what he/she is going on about - in was in The Listener 2 or 3 weeks ago.

As far as I know it is still at the idea phase.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Crusader
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 10:22:49 am »

From the very little information that has been given I don't know whether to support it or not.

However the syallbus I teach in the Air Force is a level 6 Diploma and that required me to go to a uni and become a qualified teacher for that Diploma. In my class were lecturers from different uni's and polytechs from around the country. It amazed me at how crap these lecturers actually were. One of them from AUT asked if in the final exam we could refer to our training notes and then got really upset when the answer was no. What the hell is the point of an exam if you can refer to notes? Another one from Otago uni during one of our teaching assessments got up and taught the completely wrong information and had to be corrected so many times.

So in my opinion it doesn't matter how high you raise the standards for students if your lecturers are just complete idiots.
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:23:04 am »

From the very little information that has been given I don't know whether to support it or not.

However the syallbus I teach in the Air Force is a level 6 Diploma and that required me to go to a uni and become a qualified teacher for that Diploma. In my class were lecturers from different uni's and polytechs from around the country. It amazed me at how crap these lecturers actually were. One of them from AUT asked if in the final exam we could refer to our training notes and then got really upset when the answer was no. What the hell is the point of an exam if you can refer to notes? Another one from Otago uni during one of our teaching assessments got up and taught the completely wrong information and had to be corrected so many times.

So in my opinion it doesn't matter how high you raise the standards for students if your lecturers are just complete idiots.

After having, for the last 12 1/2- 13 years, to deal with both lecturers and students who have gone from high school to uni I'd agree with that many of them know it all but I'm often surpprised that they can tie their own shoe laces in the morning.
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 03:39:05 pm »

I struck a couple of tutors at ATI like that. One of them really knew his stuff but his spelling and hand writing were so bad that sometimes he couldn't read what he had written on the board just 2 minutes earlier let only us poor students. The other, well, let's just say I failed that section of the exam rather spectacularly - the notes I had taken had little to do with the syllabus.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: