Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 08:47:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Wanna deep fried cicada with that?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanna deep fried cicada with that?  (Read 266 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 22, 2009, 07:37:12 am »

They're considered a delicacy in parts of Africa, Asia and South America but an Auckland man found nothing mouthwatering about a deep-fried cicada served up in his McDonald's fries.

Devon Turei, a 25-year-old film production runner, ordered a takeaway combo meal at a McDonald's in Auckland's Grey Lynn last Tuesday, and was about halfway through his meal when he discovered the insect.

"I looked down and there was a ginormous deep-fried cicada in my chips," he said. "It was perfectly formed, about the size of my thumb. Not a little baby."

He took photographs back to the restaurant, and was given a refund. "They had no explanation at all. They were just like `Oh my gosh'."

Turei said he was "totally disturbed" by the cicada and threw up later that night. "I'm a fast food kid, I love it, but I won't be going back." He had not had time to return the meal to the restaurant as he had been busy at work.

Turei has been advised by the Auckland District Health Board to put the cicada and fries in his freezer until tomorrow, when they will pick up his unconventional meal and investigate.

McDonald's managing director Mark Hawthorne said the company was concerned by Turei's claim, but as he had not yet returned the meal, they had not been able to investigate fully.

"However, we have checked and reviewed pest control measures at our Grey Lynn restaurant and can confirm that the restaurant is clean, tidy and there is no evidence of any pests on-site.

"Any kitchen area in Auckland is susceptible to insects in this tropical-type weather, and we are being extra vigilant around closing doors and windows and have advised all restaurants to take this action throughout New Zealand." Last month, a Whangarei teenager claimed to have found maggots in his Big Mac, but an investigation was inconclusive.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4855639a11.html?source=RSStopstories_20090222

Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 07:49:01 am »

A nice little bit of extra protein and he didn't even have to pay for it.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Elric of Melnibone

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 07:51:19 am »

That would be the best part of the 'meal'
Report Spam   Logged
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:11:05 pm »

Mac Donalds again!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
beaker
Senator
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 08:15:13 pm »

It must be a slow media day if they have to report on that.  It's not like McDonalds disputed it (like McCains do with their frozen rodents in mixed veges).

I remember as a kid of about 11 or 12, I went to a fish and chip shop in Tawa and ordered my lunch.  I saw a wasp buzzing around the shop and then it disappeared.  I went back to my parent's shop to eat my lunch and half way through my meal.... found the wasp, like the cicada - perfectly formed but deep fried.  It obviously flew into the deep frying vat and got scooped up in the basket with my order.

I never took it back to the chippie and didn't even mention it to my parents.

Wish I'd known, I might have been able to get my 15 mins of fame  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!!
Alicat
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 08:15:32 pm »

I can confirm that while they are being eaten ... by my kitten ... they sing all the way down
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:17:07 pm »

In fact ... the 6 she consumed on Tuesday ALL sang all the way down - eeeeeewwwwwwwww!
Report Spam   Logged
beaker
Senator

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:21:01 pm »

My 4 year old son managed to disect one that he found dead yesterday.  He's a lover of insects and wanted to know how it died  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!!
Alicat
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:22:31 pm »

My 4 year old son managed to disect one that he found dead yesterday.  He's a lover of insects and wanted to know how it died  Shocked

Did you deep fry it and serve it with fries for his dinner?
Report Spam   Logged
beaker
Senator

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »

Deep Fried??? With the obesity epidemic?  No I stir fried it with fresh veges!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 08:36:24 pm »

Deep Fried??? With the obesity epidemic?  No I stir fried it with fresh veges!  Tongue

Whew - that's okay then!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: