Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 10:33:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Fitzsimons to resign as Greens co-leader

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fitzsimons to resign as Greens co-leader  (Read 589 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: February 22, 2009, 07:35:25 am »

bye bye Greens .....

Green Party co-leader Jeanette Fitzsimons is about to announce her resignation from the post. She will stand down to allow a new co-leader time to make her mark before the 2011 election.

The veteran Green, co-leader since 1995, is expected to serve out the parliamentary term as a list MP.

The main candidates for her job, which under Green Party rules must be held by a woman, are MPs Sue Bradford and Metiria Turei. The new leader is likely to be announced at the party annual conference in June.

Fitzsimons, who had earlier indicated she would probably retire at the next election, refused to comment yesterday. Co-leader Russel Norman also refused to discuss her future.

Fitzsimons' departure will leave a difficult problem for the party. She is a widely liked and admired politician, with appeal across the political spectrum.

Neither Bradford nor Turei has similar appeal. Bradford, once a fiery Marxist radical, has softened her image, but her sponsorship of the anti-smacking bill drew much flak.

Turei has the progressive appeal of being a Maori woman, but she may be seen as too radical to have wide appeal.

It is not known if Catherine Delahunty, elected to parliament at last year's general election, will be a candidate for the co-leadership. Her lack of parliamentary experience could count against her.

It is understood that veteran Green MP Sue Kedgley is not seeking the post.

Auckland University political scientist Raymond Miller said the resignation was a serious blow to the Greens. "Jeanette was a conservative and moderate figure who reassured people who might otherwise think of the Greens as an extremist party."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4856034a6160.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ballasted moth
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:59:35 am »

what horror will replace her
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
Calliope

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:00:18 am »

Well we know it wont be the "Moth"
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Nitpicker1
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:10:01 pm »

author=Newtown-Fella link=topic=722.msg7974#msg7974 date=1235248525]
bye bye Greens .....

....The main candidates for her job, which under Green Party rules must be held by a woman, are MPs Sue Bradford and Metiria Turei. ....

Bradford's a chameleon,  but Turei's  McGillicuddies, unemployed rights activism and ACLP make her a sitter for the job. I can see quite a few convenient conversions coming up and joining Green's ranks

Report Spam   Logged
beaker
Senator
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 08:17:04 pm »

The only think that put me off the Greens is Bradford.  I sincerely hope they don't put her in the job.
Report Spam   Logged

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!!
Calliope

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 09:43:10 pm »

Fitzsimmons will be sorely missed
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
AnFaolchu

100th (Gordon) Highlanders 1794

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 06:28:41 am »

Not by me she won't, nor a good many others I would suspect... she really was never a good leader.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:00:33 am »

Not by me she won't, nor a good many others I would suspect... she really was never a good leader.

But she appeared to be the voice of reason within the party
Report Spam   Logged

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:27 am »

is that resign as in stand down?...or resign as in renew her job?
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 08:02:13 am »

Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 08:06:14 am »

is that resign as in stand down?...or resign as in renew her job?

ROFL 4
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
AnFaolchu

100th (Gordon) Highlanders 1794

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 08:16:41 am »

But she appeared to be the voice of reason within the party

Voice of what reason???
Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 08:20:10 am »

Maybe hers is the voice of NO reason. i.e
theres NO reason to kill all the whales, theres NO reason to cut down all the trees, theres NO reason to pollute the hell out of the waterways, theres NO reason to burn squillions of tons of carbon every day....that kind of stuff aye.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 08:29:02 am »

Its quite a giggle to watch attitudes towards Green parties world wide.

I wonder where we'd be now if it wasnt for Greenies?

Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
guest49
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 11:39:19 am »

I am quite happy to make room for environmentalists.  I like to consider myself as one, for that matter - although I dont let it get in the way of practicalities.
Greenies to me though, are nay saying ranters, who I treat with the contempt they deserve.  There are also some who have attached themselves to the greenies, who are beneath contempt in my opinion.  Someone mentioned Bradford
Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 12:55:20 pm »

Ooooh....that thing.
Report Spam   Logged

DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 06:02:47 pm »

So the co-leaders have to be from each sex.

What if they had three leaders?

If Keith Locke gets a sex change will he be in with a chance?

What sex is Sue Bradford and do we have any volunteers to find out?

Is Jeanette resigning in disappointment after finding out that not only did the SIS not have a file on her, but, they'd never actually heard of her?
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 06:59:11 pm »

I agree with Yak.

Seems to be a big difference between a greenie and an environmentalist.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 07:01:38 pm »

Yeh its similar to the difference tween being grown up and being an adult - an adult has learnt how to behave in public, as with the environmentalist.

Giggle 3
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 03:19:54 pm »

Interesting poll today.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/view-poll-results.html?section_id=10&poll_id=19085&option_id=34563
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 09:09:40 pm »

The GREEN Party increased the number of MPs in Parliament by 50% in last year's general election.

And....it's interesting to discover in today's Dominion Post that John Key has been in secret discussions with the GREENS about co-operating with them. Which tends to show up as bullshit the claim by many who have been pushing the view since last year's election that the GREENS are irelevant in the current parliamentary makeup.

The GREENS will still be in Parliament after the 2011 general election, and the 2014 general election, and the 2017 general election, and they will still be pushing policies that will become mainstream a few years down the track, just as the GREENS have always been way ahead of other political parties in numerous policies for many, many years. Just look at the number of GREENS policies that were regarded as being whacko when they were first espoused by GREENS (and Values Party before them), but which are now MAINSTREAM policy supported by BOTH major political parties in New Zealand. I guess some people are terrified of the truth and would rather sweep things under the carpet and bury their heads in the sand over a multitude of issues that will eventually become mainstream.

And, as for Sue Bradford....she raised her children without hitting them AND none of them have turned out to be ratbags, which I guess must be proof that she is a far better parent with considerably greater parenting skills than people like Bob McCoskie & Co who need to resort to hitting to bring up their kids. I bet that must really grate with the kid-hitting brigade!
Report Spam   Logged
ballasted moth

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 05:28:44 pm »

The Green party should avoid all secret discusssions as they may appear hypocrites as they condemned previous secret meeting Nats had with another group
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
ballasted moth

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 08:26:40 am »

will Fitzsimmons be recycled
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
Crusader
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:18 am »

It is a pretty hypocritical standard for the Greenies having a stipulation on what the sex of a co leader has to be. I thought they bleated on about human rights things.
To much dope smoking probably prevented them from realising they are violating their own policies
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: