Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 01:33:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Doing it in Gizzy (and around the East Coast)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doing it in Gizzy (and around the East Coast)  (Read 3705 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2013, 01:11:37 pm »

from the HERALD on SUNDAY....

Less is best in Gisborne

By SHERIDAN GUNDRY | 5:30AM - Sunday, October 20, 2013

David Timbs enjoys an outing at Wainui Beach with his dog, Bosco. — Photo: Alan Gibson.
David Timbs enjoys an outing at Wainui Beach with his dog, Bosco.
 — Photo: Alan Gibson.

IT'S ONE OF the most beautiful regions in the country — and the only one to be losing its residents. As this week's Census results revealed, Gisborne has 840 fewer people now than seven years ago, a fact the beachside city's fans can't fathom. Local Sheridan Gundry offers 10 reasons why Gisborne is better than Auckland.

1. Actually, Gisborne doubles its population every year. Beat that. Okay, it's only for a week as the Rhythm and Vines festival brings in 30,000 extra people for New Year — but that's more than Auckland grows by each year. The difference is that the crowds are soon gone.

When the visitors move in, locals not winning from the welcome surge in retail trade rent their houses and shift to freedom-camp beside the beach.

2. How do we look? Think unpretentious, laid-back and lifestylish. We've got sunshine, the world's best surf, clear skies, stars and no SkyTowers.

3. Gisborne has affordable housing with gardens ... and we're all happy to mow our own berms. There's room for development. Aucklanders, sell your million-dollar homes, buy in Gisborne and you'll still have $700k or so to live off. Decent houses for less than $200k? Tick. A Wainui Beach house for $300k? Tick.

4. Then there's our rush-minute traffic. Our money helps build roads for Aucklanders to drive to their weekend baches, but here in Gisborne you can walk or bike to the beach. Less travel and traffic means more time with family.

How often do successful big-city business people say that if they had their time again they would spend more time with family and less working? It's not too late in Gisborne. And lunchtime surfing is no dream in this five-minutes-to-anywhere paradise.

5. This city is a great place to raise families — with easy access to a remarkable range of cultural and sporting activities and high-calibre tutors.

6. Creativity is a big part of Gisborne's charms thanks to our splendid, character-building isolation. Isolation builds creativity. Ta moko artist and All Blacks' kapa o pango haka composer Professor Derek Lardelli is thrilled that several national politicians send their children to Gisborne to study Maori arts and design at Toihoukura where he teaches.

"Big cities have big lights but when you come back down to Earth, and see the raw talent here, you can't beat the Tairawhiti," he says.

"It must be something in the water."

7. Our small community builds connections that are difficult to replicate in a big city. Random acts of kindness continually astound newbies. It's hardly surprising, then, that Gisborne led four of nine categories in New Zealand's first happiness survey — we're best connected to the community, most active, most mindful and have the most women with high self-esteem.

New Zealander of the Year Professor Dame Anne Salmond, who will return to live in Gisborne, highlights its advantages: "Meetings with neighbours on a dead-end valley road. Stop car, hop out, have a chat. Next car stops, next lot of neighbours join the conversation ... and there's a deep sense of belonging, quintessentially Kiwi, and a pace of life that lets you smell the roses."

8. Environmental warriors abound in Gisborne. The National Arboretum of Eastwoodhill has the largest, most comprehensive collection of Northern Hemisphere trees south of the equator. Then there's Douglas Cook, Dame Anne and Jeremy Salmond's Longbush Ecosanctuary and John Griffin's Te Kuri a Paoa at Young Nick's Head where robins breed, grey-faced petrels return, and gecko, skink and tuatara saunter.

9. And who could go past the food? Gizzy milk and cheese; beef and lamb, crayfish, paua, beer and, of course, wine.

Auckland winemaker Nick Nobilo chose Gisborne to grow his gewurztraminer and now bottles of his Vinoptima fetch three figures. Eighty percent of it is sold overseas.

10. In Gisborne, even our politicians are happy. Our mayor has Hong Kong connections through his parents and has been happily married for more than 30 years.

Maori-speaking, Chinese-singing Meng Foon has been returned for his fifth term with, he says, a surprising majority.

"We are resilient," he says.

"We have to be, living out east."

"We fend for ourselves, make our own fun."

"We are a big, small city without the traffic, noise and people problems of Auckland."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11142904
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2013, 04:14:10 pm »

GARY McCORMICK: Politicians fail our heartland

HERALD on SUNDAY | 10:27AM - Sunday, October 20, 2013

Gary McCormick as a young man at Gisborne in the 1970s.
Gary McCormick as a young man at Gisborne in the 1970s.

I MOVED to Gisborne in the mid-'70s. It was the wildest and most brilliant decision I have ever made.

I went there purely and simply to go surfing. My mate Dave Timbs from Titahi Bay, with whom I had learned to surf on some of the first fibreglass surfboards, had gone there fresh out of teacher training college in Wellington.

I remember the first freezing old house we lived in. And the first freezing surf in a huge winter swell at what is known as Pipeline on the main City beach. I subsequently lived at Wainui Beach, just north of Gisborne city, and surfed the famed Makarori Point on a daily basis.

Then, by enormous good fortune, the ultimate wave of 70s rock civilisation swept over us. We were California.

You could get a job at Watties (factory now closed) or in the burgeoning wine industry, or clean pub toilets and work as a part-time school caretaker (like me) and surf to your heart's content. We had live music, ranging from Dragon, Hello Sailor, Mi-Sex, Herbs and nearly every other wonderful rock band New Zealand has ever known, in local pubs six nights out of seven.

It was heaven!

There was an ugly interlude when Diesel Maxwell and his merry band of Rastafarians started burning down East Coast farmhouses, and then the trial of six local detectives accused of kidnapping Diesel. (Case dismissed.)

The future of Coast employment was supposed to lie in the "wall of wood".

That never happened. The wine industry took a huge hit with the glut of wine. Watties in effect closed down. The freezing works closed down. The rail link (which is how I first got to Gisborne) is now closed.

There are some lovely cafes and restaurants, new accommodation and the town itself has been spruced up and looks great. But the streets are all but empty on a Friday and Saturday night. A silence hangs over the town.

Gisborne is the victim of the same policy of provincial neglect that has affected many small towns in New Zealand. The town has worked hard to recreate itself and, from outward appearances, has succeeded.

It suffers from the "tyranny of distance" and a failure of political will to preserve our heartland.

That said, my mate Dave Timbs still lives in his bach on the seafront at Wainui Beach, still surfing along with all the other guys and girls.

He, like many other Gisborne folk, made the reckless decision to have a good life — and I have some doubts about what I've done with mine.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=11142905
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 01:11:15 pm »

Classical music ‘helped cannabis flourish’

High culture helped for a high-quality crop

By TRACEY CHATTERTON - The Dominion Post | 1:19PM - Wednesday, 22 January 2014

CULTURED CROP: Some of Verdun Stergus Kemp's cannabis operation.
CULTURED CROP: Some of Verdun Stergus Kemp's cannabis operation.

A GISBORNE MAN played classical music to his cannabis plants to encourage the crop to flourish.

Police uncovered the sophisticated growing operation with the potential to earn $500,000 annually late last year.

Verdun Sturgus Kemp, 21, controlled the lighting, temperature and ventilation to grow 287 cannabis plants in his spare room, the police summary said.

A radio was set up to play classical music to the plants, Detective Sergeant Wayne Beattie said.

Kemp told him the plants responded better to classical music.

He also kept rubbish bins of plant nutrients in the bathroom and measured the acidity of the liquid to make sure it was at its optimum level.

At the Gisborne District Court yesterday Kemp pleaded guilty to cultivating cannabis. He was jailed for two years and one month.

Beattie told Fairfax Media it was a "well-orchestrated growing operation".

Kemp anticipated harvesting one ounce off each plant and expected $400 per ounce. He was four weeks off full production which he estimated would harvest $30,000 every three weeks. It cost Kemp $17,000 to kit out the spare room, just a week after he began renting the Gisborne property last July.

Kemp believed he would have made $525,000 a year but was "cagey" about who he would sell his produce to, Beattie said.

He told police he was not going to sell it "gang members, people under 20 and anyone that didn't have a job".

The crop had been destroyed since his arrest.

Beattie told Fairfax Media it was great Kemp's cannabis had been taken out of circulation, but it was not even the tip of the iceberg.

He urged people to tell police about growing operations or leave anonymous information via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/9637397/Classical-music-helped-cannabis-flourish
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 11:41:48 am »

“JET AGE COMES TO GISBORNE”

That was the title of a four page photograph feature (two double-spread pages) in the No.122, August 13, 1964 edition of Gisborne Photo News magazine, recording the arrival of the first scheduled NAC Fokker Friendship service from Auckland the previous month.

In addition to the Jet Age Comes To Gisborne feature, the magazine also contained Aero Club News, Sidelights On Our Jet-Age Airport and Giant Transporter Visits Gisborne photo feature pages.

Click on the thumbnails on each of those pages to open larger-sized image files.

As a matter of interest, the website contains editions of Gisborne Photo News from 1954 to 1975, but it also contains editions of Nelson Photo News from 1960 to 1972, so there would be many more aviation-related (and other topics) photographs from the Gisborne and Nelson regions on the site.

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 12:37:44 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 04:13:50 pm »

During the 20½-years I lived in Gisborne, many people regarded Hill Street residents as being a bit snooty.
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 10:55:44 am »

...CAMPING in Gisborne has begun for the season as usual, with tents and caravans already lining the coast.

As always, campers are required to apply for a permit to camp in designated sites that include Turihaua Beach and Point, Pouawa Beach, Loisels Beach, Tolaga Bay at Blue Waters, Kaiaua Beach, Tokomaru Bay, Waipiro Bay and Doneraille Park. ...

So far about 230 permits have been issued for the season.

http://www.gisborneherald.co.nz/news/article/Default.aspx?id=39752

Will locals be allowed to park there if they want to go paddle?

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »

I've still got friends in Gizzy who move to Pouawa Beach for the summer every year.

In fact, one group of friends who are moving there from this weekend, I'm crashing at their house the first weekend in January when I head up there for a wedding. The wedding venue (a few miles out of town) is only 250 metres from their house. In other words it is within staggering distance of the venue. They told me to just help myself (the comment was, “you know where we hide the key”).
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 01:36:28 pm »

Brucie...."I've still got friends...."  hahaha...yeah ...right..whatever you say Wink
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 07:37:25 am »

I've still got friends in Gizzy who move to Pouawa Beach for the summer every year.

I 'spose they use one of these?

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 01:18:39 pm »

I 'spose they use one of these?

Nope.....Gizzy and the East Coast is the original home of freedom camping. I lived in Gisborne from March 1978 until October 1998 and although Gisborne City Council had restrictions about camping on city beaches, it was open slather on country beaches. Likewise, Cook County Council and Waiapu County Council also had open slather with regards to freedom camping on beaches. Prior to the earlier merger when Cook County swallowed up Uawa County Council (centred at Tologa Bay), Uawa County likewise allowed unlimited freedom camping on their beaches. It was never a problem as, apart from Gisborne, the rest of the region was off the beaten track as far as overseas tourists were concerned, and with a low population base, the open slather freedom camping was one of the best kept secrets around. Local people living in Gisborne/East Coast didn't tend to talk about it too much with outsiders, keeping their favourite beach camping spots to themselves. Around in the eastern Bay of Plenty (east of Opotiki), freedom camping was likewise allowed virtually everywhere.

After Gisborne City, Cook County, Waiapu County and Waikohu County merged to form the Gisborne District Council unitary authority, some restrictions were placed on freedom camping closer to Gisborne, with camping only being allowed during the summer months and about half-way through autumn (the end of Easter weekend was generally the cut-off point). It is only in more recent years that Gisborne District Council have required permits for camping as the area has become more discovered and outsiders have flocked to freedom-camp on the region's isolated beaches. However, there are still plenty of places you can camp up the coast without the council knowing about it, if you are in-the-know. A lot of isolated beautiful sandy beaches are only accessible by crossing Maori land, and if you know the right people, it is easy to get access and the council never know about it.

My friends have been freedom camping at Pouawa every summer (virtually living there for the entire summer, driving to & from there to work each day) since the late-1980s. Other people I know up there have been camping since before I moved to Gisborne in 1978. They were kids back then and now they camp at Pouawa with their kids and grandkids, except that they need a permit now.

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2015, 10:28:15 am »

Bugger....was just talking on the phone to a friend of mine in Gisborne and she told me one of her teenage-daughter's friends got killed last night doing a back-flip off the roof of a house into a swimming pool and missed the pool. Apparently they were drinking heaps at the time too.

A real bad ending to 2014.

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/gisborne-man-dies-accident

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:40:46 pm by Kiwithrottlejockey » Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 03:24:56 pm »

with vid

Six hurt but speed limit reduces impact in crash  

Thursday, January 8, 2015

by Murray Robertson

THE temporary 70kmh speed restriction during the freedom camping season “made a difference” yesterday when two cars collided head-on at a bend on SH35 between Tatapouri and Turihaua.

One of the cars was towing a caravan.

Emergency services were called to the crash at about 3.30pm.

“We transported six people to hospital, two women aged in their 40s and another in her 30s, three children, aged 8 and 14, and a two-week-old baby,” a St John spokesman said.

“They had a range of minor to moderate injuries, mainly seatbelt bruising, with some sore heads and necks.”

Two ambulances were used to get them to the hospital’s emergency department.

The fire service attended and a fireman drove one of the ambulances to the hospital while the St John crew worked on the patients in the back.

“The eight-year-old child and the infant were admitted to Planet Sunshine children’s ward for observation overnight,” a hospital spokeswoman said this morning.

“The other injured people were treated and discharged.”

The accident happened on a bend just north of Tatapouri Beach.

“We are investigating the probability that one of the vehicles involved crossed the centre line to go into the beach carpark and went into the path of the oncoming vehicle,” said Senior Constable Mike Schultz.

“The 70kmh speed restriction in place along the Turihaua-Pouawa freedom camping area definitely made a difference in the crash because both vehicles were travelling slower.

“If the south-bound oncoming vehicle had been going faster, the outcome could have been very different.

“As it was, the people in the cars were very lucky to have escaped with just minor injuries,” Senior Constable Schultz said.

The accident happened just outside a family caravan.

“We were on the beach so saw nothing but we heard a loud bang as the collision happened,” the campers said.

Both vehicles were extensively damaged.

“It is likely charges will be laid as a result of the crash,” Senior Constable Schultz said.

State Highway 35 remained open during the emergency.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14208637139967&key=c7a018f99a67aaac33a35421e795cdf3&libId=41cac741-9212-4805-8cca-743d44d7652e&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fxtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C14523.0.html&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gisborneherald.co.nz%2Farticle%2F%3Fid%3D40081&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fxtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com%2Findex.php%2Fboard%2C1.0.html&title=meanwhile%20in%20Gisborne&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gisborneherald.co.nz%2Farticle%2F%3Fid%3D40081
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2015, 11:30:47 am »

Drowning at East Coast beach

Saturday, 24 January 2015 - 11:50am

National News

At approximately 9.50am on Saturday 24 January 2015 Gisborne Police were notified that three swimmers were in difficulty off Makorori Beach.

By the time Police arrived a 20-year-old male had managed to make his way to shore.  Shortly after Police arrived, the body of a male in his early twenties was located at the beach side.  A third male, also in his early twenties, has yet to be located.

The ECT Rescue Helicopter, Surf Lifesavers with an IRB, Coastguard, and locals are assisting Police as they search for the missing male.

Clint Adamson

Senior Sergeant

Eastern District Command Centre

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/drowning-east-coast-beach

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2015, 11:40:46 am »

I just had a rather distressing phone call from a friend of mine.

Her son was one of the three young men and he was the only one to have survived. The two others (one body recovered, one missing) are two brothers and they were my friend's son's best mates. Her youngest daughter (who lives in Wellington with her) also used to “game” online about twice a week with the person whose body has been recovered.

My friend is currently on the way back from Gisborne to Wellington (she was in Central Hawke's Bay when she got a phone call from her son about the tragedy). She drove up to Gisborne earlier in the week to drop her son back home after he had spent a couple of weeks in Wellington. She will no doubt he heading back up to Gisborne again next week for a funeral.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:49:38 am by Kiwithrottlejockey » Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 11:44:02 am »

Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 03:15:39 pm »

from The Gisborne Herald....

One dead, second is missing at Makorori

By MURRAY ROBERTSON and KAYLA DARYMPLE | Saturday, January 24, 2015

Police and St John ambulance at Makorori Beach, where one man was found dead and another is missing. — Photo: The Gisborne Herald.
Police and St John ambulance at Makorori Beach, where one man was found dead and another is missing.
 — Photo: The Gisborne Herald.

A YOUNG MAN has drowned and another young man is missing, presumed drowned, in the surf at Makorori Beach after they got into difficulties while swimming there this morning.

Police, St John Ambulance, the ECT rescue helicopter, Coastguard and surf lifesavers with an IRB received the emergency call at about 9.50am.

“The two who did not make it ashore were with a third man aged 20, who also got into trouble but was able to make it safely back to the beach,” police said.

“The other two were not able to swim ashore.”

The emergency occurred about half way along the beach between Makorori Point and the housing settlement.

“The body of a man aged in his early 20s was recovered from the water near the shore by someone on the beach at about 10.25am,” police said.

St John ambulance officers at the beach pronounced the man deceased.

A search was started for the third man, also aged about 20, using the Gisborne rescue helicopter and a surf club rescue boat.

Several surfers also joined in the search.

Police at Makorori Beach, where one man was found dead and another is missing. — Photo: The Gisborne Herald.
Police at Makorori Beach, where one man was found dead and another is missing.
 — Photo: The Gisborne Herald.

At the time The Gisborne Herald went to print today, the third man was still missing.

“When the three men got into trouble the surf was running at about a metre,” a witness said.

They had been at the beach fishing.

“They had their longlines out and decided to go for a swim,” another witness said.

“The current and undertows on that section of the beach are quite dangerous at present.”

Police said the intention was to continue the search for the third man through the day.

“It is believed the men were staying at a campground nearby.”

Police are still in the process of contacting the men’s families.

A boat involved in the Bay Bonanza fishing competition has joined the search and three others are on stand-by.

http://www.gisborneherald.co.nz/article/?type=article&id=40282
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 03:19:05 pm »

The two brothers (one deceased, and one missing) are the only offspring of their parents.

That is incredibly sad that an entire generation of that family has been lost in one hit.

My friend's daughters are doing it really hard. The younger daughter (12 years old) was a regular online gamer with the young man whose body was recovered, but both her and her older 17-year-old sister knew the two brothers really well. And they came very close to losing their own brother this morning.

Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 06:59:50 pm »

...great to see the residents opf Gizzy out enjoying themselves...living on the edge

Beach life in Gisborne makes for a Sunsplash
Friday, January 23, 2015
by Kayla Dalrymple

TWO days down and three to go, the public has been treated to a range of surf and coastal-themed events since Gisborne’s Sunsplash Summer Festival started on Wednesday with a powhiri.

Wahine on Waves got Sunsplash rolling, followed by twilight golf and a surf lifesaving board series at Midway. Wahine Movie Night at the Dome Cinema rounded out Wednesday’s events.

Thursday’s programme started at 1pm with Matt Smith’s kitebaording demo at Stock Route, Wainui. A fun water day at the Olympic Pools and a wine-making competition for surfers concluded yesterday’s events.

One event today will be a carnival outside the H.B. Williams Memorial Library at 2pm. There will also be a have-a-go session for waka ama and stand-up paddleboarding this evening. The Tairawhiti Museum will welcome the Original Wailers at 5.30pm, to open the Smile Jamaica Bob Marley exhibition, and The Dome will host a screening and Pecha Kucha tonight.

Tomorrow’s festival programme includes the Have A Go Waveski event at Waikanae Beach from 10am till 2pm, stand-up paddleboard surfing championships and the Kick Push East Coast Skate Comp at Alfred Cox Skatepark. East Coast Vibes kicks off at 1pm.

Sunday will see the Makorori First Light Longboard Classic, a waveski competition, and the Sand Warrior event on the beach alongside Centennial Marine Drive. On Monday the city’s tidy Kiwis are being called on to participate in a beach clean-up, before the winner of the surfer wine-making competition is announced.

Beach events are subject to weather conditions, with locations to be advised on the day. Sunday is forecast to be sunny with a high of 23C. A south-east swell with one metre waves on coast beaches and north-easterly winds are expected to roll in.

For more information go to:

www.gisbornenz.com
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 07:25:16 pm »

Ah, the serial stalker is back posting smarmy shit, just like he does on behalf of his beloved idiot John Key.

TROLL DETECTED
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 07:29:58 pm »

business as usual...awaiting decision of moderators..aint freedom wonderful..NZ is 100% the best country in the world Wink
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 07:32:15 pm »

..and please accept my condolences on your friends childs death...guess you will be off to a funeral this week to give your support... as a good friend does..travel safe
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2015, 07:49:24 pm »

....Great to see child abuse in Gisborne being addressed....

Community needs to act over high incidence of child abuse here
Friday, January 23, 2015
by John Jones

The fact child abuse figures in Gisborne have increased, albeit very slightly, while those for the rest of the country have fallen is extremely disappointing. It shows the need for a greater, community-wide focus here on this vexing, distressing issue.

Nationally substantiated cases of physical, sexual or emotional abuse fell by 12 percent or 2306 to 19,623 findings of abuse — involving 16,289 children — in the year to June 2014.

In Gisborne the confirmed number was 424, three more than in the previous 12 months. That puts our child abuse rate per capita at twice the national rate.

Social Development Minister Anne Tolley says that while New Zealand’s child abuse remains appallingly common, it is pleasing to see the numbers going down for the first time in 10 years.

She claims good progress is being made in implementing the Children’s Action Plan and that with 30 specific measures designed to prevent abuse and neglect, it will make a real difference in reducing child abuse.

She also says that New Zealanders are becoming more intolerant of child abuse and that the more people are willing to report their concerns, the better chance the country has to keep children safe and protected.

How much the Government can claim for the reduced figures is debatable. While it is early days for the action plan, this subject, along with the wider issue of family violence, is one in which the whole country wants to see a turnaround. Mrs Tolley has a key role to play as one of the three ministers John Key has tasked with addressing these problems.

The big issue that needs to attract concern here is why the Gisborne figures are not following the national trend.

How much of its perpetuation is related to the low socioeconomic status of the district, dysfunction, inter-generational violence and dependency, alcohol and other drugs, or cultural attitudes?

In the long-term emotional abuse can do even more long-term harm to a child than actual physical abuse. No child in Gisborne, or anywhere else in the country, should suffer either.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2015, 06:19:22 pm »

“Body found at Wainui Beach, Gisborne”

Further to the tragic drowning at Makarori Beach, Gisborne, 24th January 2015.

At about 4.30pm today a local Gisborne Surfer found a body close to shore in the surf off Wainui Beach.

Police believe the body is that of John Wakelin, the 18 year old who went missing at Makarori Beach last Saturday.

Formal identification will be made as soon as possible.

The death has been referred to the Coroner.

Maui ABEN
Senior Sergeant
OC Search and Rescue
GISBORNE

• You can also view this release, including any additional images, online at: http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/body-found-wainui-beach-gisborne
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2015, 08:29:56 pm »

EXCELLENT..it will be great to see part of the line reopened Wink

Plan B for Napier-Gisborne rail

By Harrison Christian harrison christian@hbtoday co nz

10:59 AM Tuesday Jan 27, 2015Add a comment

Hawke's Bay Regional Council will consider alternatives to leasing the Napier-Gisborne railway line, such as re-opening the line's Wairoa-Napier section in a joint venture between KiwiRail and Napier Port.

The Napier-Gisborne Railway Shorthall Establishment Group (NGR) is using a project team to develop a business case to be considered by the council next month, after KiwiRail made an offer to lease the damaged railway line.

A progress report by council chief executive Liz Lambert outlined several concerns about the draft business case. KiwiRail had imposed "tight timeframes" on the investigation, requiring a decision by March 1.

The freight forecast to travel on a reopened Napier-Gisborne railway line was "just not sufficient" to pay for reconstruction, but there was a "significant opportunity" to re-open the Wairoa-Napier component.

There were also "significant trading losses" projected in the line's first four years of operation, which "could make finding private investors challenging".

The rail line has been mothballed since late 2012.

The Government has indicated it will not fund its repair.

Ms Lambert said estimates for the reconstruction of the Mahia-Gisborne section of the line were currently between $3.5- $5 million, and the forecast volume of freight from Gisborne was not adequate.

For that reason, $125,000 of funding earmarked for an engineering design study to better quantify the costs of reconstructing the line had been put on hold.

The other half of the business case costs comprised $75,000 for personnel and $50,000 for strategic advice.

No major capital investment in the Napier to Mahia section of the line was required initially and a Wairoa service could run on the track in its current condition, according to KiwiRail sources. "A significant volume of logs from Wairoa are exported through Gisborne, so there is a cargo-gain opportunity for Napier Port."

She suggested KiwiRail and Napier Port could negotiate an agreement, which would not involve the council directly, that would provide for the hubbing of logs in Wairoa and their subsequent transport to Napier Port at the optimum time for the port. "This has the potential to meet the need of ensuring that the line does not close, while providing a much lower barrier to entry and exit for any agreement than a full lease of the corridor."

- Hawkes Bay Today
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: