Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:18:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Veitch set to sue radio star

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Veitch set to sue radio star  (Read 132 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 22, 2009, 07:32:24 am »

Controversial broadcaster Willie Jackson is refusing to make a personal apology to Tony Veitch over allegedly defamatory comments he made about the TV star last week.

And despite the threat of legal action against him and employers Radio Live, Jackson last night refused to back down from his statement Veitch should never have been allowed to appear on a TV sports show last week.

Veitch is accused of six counts of assault on a female and one of injuring former girlfriend Kristin Dunne-Powell with reckless disregard.

The alleged incidents, which cost him his high-profile TV and radio jobs, took place between March 2002 and January 2006.

On Wednesday he made his first television appearance since July last year when he was a guest on Sky's Deaker on Sport.

Jackson afternoon host on Radio Live with former political bad-boy John Tamihere potentially derailed Veitch's comeback.

Jackson made a number of comments relating to the charges Veitch faces and then said: "I don't want to see the mongrel on television. I don't want to see the mongrel get any work.

"I just want to destroy his career right now. Stuff him. It's my mission to destroy him."

Sunday News understands Veitch has instructed lawyers to take action against Jackson and Radio Live.

Jackson last night said while some of what he said was "silly" he wouldn't back down from his stand that Veitch shouldn't be back on TV until his court case is over.

"I apologised on air within half an hour of saying what I said but if he wants to carry on (with legal action) it's not my problem," Jackson said.

"What's the problem? I made a comment, I apologised. I have nothing against Veitch. I said a couple of silly things about destroying him and I shouldn't have said that.

"But I stand by what I said about him not being on Sky TV.

"Not that I don't believe in redemption. But he should have to go through the (court) process first."

Sunday News was told Veitch was listening to Radio Live when Jackson made his comments.

"Tony was absolutely devastated," a close friend said.

"People were taking Willie's comment on board as fact. Willie also said that Tony admitted to all of this, which again, is not true.

"Tony was absolutely gutted. And angry enough to want to take legal action."

Veitch and his legal team are focusing on the upcoming depositions hearing on April 1, which will determine whether Veitch has a case to answer.

Sunday News understands once Veitch deals with the assault charges his legal team will pursue Jackson and other media outlets.

"Matters in relation to media organisations who have proffered these false statements, including the ones that he booted her in the head, threw her down the stairs and left her unconscious for six hours will be looked at later," said Veitch's PR manager Glenda Hughes.

"We are aware that Willie apologised for threatening to destroy Tony but never once did he retract or apologise for the many false and wildly exaggerated statements he made."

Media experts said the comments could amount to defamation if Radio Live was unable to prove what Jackson said was true.

Radio Live boss Mitch Harris said he wasn't concerned by Veitch's threat of legal action and said he was confident Jackson didn't break the law.

"If they want to go and sue us then they can go ahead," he said.

Hughes said there there was "major concern" over how comments like Jackson's could affect Veitch's right to a fair trial.

"Readers and listeners, who are potential jurors, could be influenced by these wildly exaggerated and totally false statements," she said.

Meanwhile those close to Veitch contine to monitor him closely.

Last month emergency services discovered the former star in a "distressed state" when he was holidaying at the popular Coromandel beach resort of Pauanui.

Veitch had been with wife Zoe Halford before he went missing on the night of January 2 and was rushed to Thames Hospital following a tablet overdose.

In September he was airlifted to hospital following an earlier suicide bid at Mangawhai, north of Auckland.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4856041a11.html?source=RSStopstories_20090222

I heard Jacksons tirade about Veitch - it didnt matter what information was placed in front of him he continued to denigrate the man - good to see Veitch wants to sue.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

beaker
Senator
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:19:31 pm »

Sadly that is Jackson's typical behaviour.  For those that listen to the show know that JT is always trying to reign in his co-presenter but no matter what is said Willie will just be Willie.
Report Spam   Logged

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!!
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 08:55:54 pm »

I too support Veitch. Jackson is just
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: