Xtra News Community 2
April 17, 2024, 11:00:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

“WAHINE DAY” — 10th April

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “WAHINE DAY” — 10th April  (Read 790 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: April 09, 2010, 05:59:02 pm »

Wahine Day remembered

The Wellingtonian | 5:00AM - Thursday, 08 April 2010

SURVIVORS: Two Wahine passengers happy to make landfall at Pencarrow. DISASTER: The abandoned Wahine after it had foundered.

SURVIVORS (left): Two Wahine passengers happy to make landfall at Pencarrow.

DISASTER (right): The abandoned Wahine after it had foundered.

To commemorate the 42nd anniversary of the sinking of the Wahine on Saturday, the Museum of Wellington City and Sea will be hosting a day of events.

On April 10, 1968, the interisland ferry sailed into a savage storm and sank at the entrance to Wellington Harbour. Fifty-one people died on the day and a further two people died from injuries sustained during the sinking.

More than 40 years on this is still one of the most significant events in Wellington's recent history.

The museum's Wellington director, Brett Mason, said being the home of the Wahine story is important to the museum.

"We take our responsibility for telling the story of this disaster and a place to remember it as a vital part of our role as Wellington's city museum."

On Saturday, the museum is the departure point for two buses provided by Hutt City Council, leaving at 9.30am for the public opening of the new Wahine mast memorial at Korohiwa Bay, Eastbourne.

There will be speeches by Ken Scadden, maritime historian, and Frank Hitchens, a Wahine crew member.

Buses will return to the museum at 12.30pm and while there is no charge for this service, there is a first in-first reserved policy. Bookings are essential and can be made by contacting the museum.

The award-winning documentary, The Wahine Disaster, by Sharon Barbour, will screen in the museum's historic boardroom on the hour from 11am, with the last screening at 4pm.

This feature-length documentary details the tragic events of April 10, 1968, and includes moving accounts from both survivors and their rescuers, some of whom had never been interviewed before.

It also features animation which illustrates, for the first time, how the Wahine came to be one of New Zealand's worst sea tragedies.

The museum will also showcase a survivor art show in its new gallery space.

This features works by survivors Kay McCormick and David Hick, photographs featuring Shirley Hick by Helen Mitchell and a painting by TW Parata, a police officer who was on board that day.

The original Wahine bell, located in the museum's permanent Wahine exhibition space, will be rung every half-hour from 10am till 5pm, marking the passage of time at sea.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/the-wellingtonian/3555059/Wahine-Day-remembered
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:14:56 pm »

Hard to believe it has been 42 years. 
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 01:28:17 pm »

Disaster day became defining moment

By BRITTON BROUN - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Saturday, 10 April 2010

THE LUCKY ONES: Wahine survivor Sue Willoughby carries Ian Johnson, 5, to shore. More than 700 people had to abandon ship, and 51 of them died.
THE LUCKY ONES: Wahine survivor Sue Willoughby carries Ian Johnson, 5, to shore. More than 700 people had to abandon ship, and 51 of them died.

Forty-two on from the Wahine disaster, Sue Willoughby still sees that fateful day as the defining moment of her life.

On the morning of April 10, 1968, the 18-year-old air force recruit was about to arrive in Wellington for a holiday with some girlfriends.

Instead she found herself in the freezing water of Wellington Harbour, being pounded by massive waves and desperately trying to keep a young boy afloat.

Today marks the 42nd anniversary of the ferry sinking that claimed the lives of 51 people.

The Wahine ran aground on Barrett Reef at 6.40am, forcing more than 700 people to abandon ship before it keeled over hours later.

Ms Willoughby, 60, who moved to Wellington from Hawke's Bay in February, remembers lining up in a long corridor with other passengers for several hours before the order to abandon ship.

Rushing to the badly listing deck, she saw the Johnson family with three small boys, and offered to take Ian, 5, before jumping over the side.

"They didn't have children's lifejackets, they only had adult ones. I knew I couldn't manage him and me in his lifejacket so I took his off and held on to him.

"But his mother jumped in with his younger brother and he just sank straight through the lifejacket ... she was devastated." The child died.

Although the water was freezing, Ms Willoughby said she talked to Ian to keep him conscious.

Before they were picked up by a liferaft, the Wahine went over.

"Watching the Wahine turn over on its side with the waves breaking over it was like watching a movie. It wasn't till I got to the shore and was carrying the boy up on to the beach that I started crying. But it was more from relief."

Remarkably, Ms Willoughby says the experience had a positive effect on her life.

After a few years in the air force, she became a psychiatric nurse, often working with children.

"It made me very aware of people's vulnerability, the importance of people over objects. It's made me so much more content with life. You have to live your life the best you can because you never know what's going to happen."

To mark the anniversary of the disaster, the Museum of Wellington City & Sea will open an exhibition of art by Wahine survivors today. A memorial featuring one of the masts from the ferry will be officially opened in Eastborne at 10am.

PERMANENT SCAR

Shirley Hick has an image of the Wahine tattooed on her back so she will never forget the "nightmare".

The disaster claimed the life of her little girl, Alma, 3, and left her son Gordon, 1, severely brain-damaged.

The Shannon woman, 70, is in Wellington today to open the new Wahine memorial mast in Eastbourne. Three months' pregnant when the ferry ran aground, she had to give her three children to strangers just to make it safely off the boat. She was picked up by a boat, which was swamped by waves, and then saved by a fishing boat.

Her son David made it to shore, clinging to a piece of wood, but Alma did not. "I just said she was a naughty little girl and to go with the man. I've had to live with that."

Gordon was picked out of the water not moving. He died aged 22.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/3568130/Disaster-became-defining-moment
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:12:18 pm »

Memories and tears as Wahine recalled

By MICHAEL KOPP - Hutt News | 12:49PM - Tuesday, 13 April 2010

REMEMBERED: Wahine disaster survivor Shirley Hicks of Shannon ties a bunch of flowers to the flag rope on the gleaming white foremast of the sunken vessel erected as a memorial at Eastbourne. She lost two children in the tragedy. — MICHAEL KOPP/Hutt News.
REMEMBERED: Wahine disaster survivor Shirley Hicks
of Shannon ties a bunch of flowers to the flag rope
on the gleaming white foremast of the sunken vessel
erected as a memorial at Eastbourne. She lost two
children in the tragedy. — MICHAEL KOPP/Hutt News.

Forty-two years to the day after the Wahine sank, the weather was calm and bright, as survivors, crewmen, police, and Eastbourne residents gathered at Korohiwa last Saturday to see a Wahine mast stand tall again.

The ship's foremast, saved by Sir Len Southward and donated to Hutt City a decade ago, was erected as a result of efforts by the Eastbourne Historical Society, Eastbourne Community Board, and Hutt City Council, which covered the costs.

Community board chair Ian Young said the mast may not be authentic in every detail but it does stand out. "We see it as a symbol across the harbour to everyone in New Zealand."

Marine historian Ken Scadden, said most people came ashore on the east coast, putting the people of Eastbourne, as well as official rescuers, to the test.

"Survivors have struggled to cope, each in their own way. Poetry, artwork, tattoos  stories of sorrow, strength and courage," he said.

Wahine crewman Frank Hitchens, a steward who got off after most of the passengers were gone, thanked HCC for the memorial on behalf of officers and crew. Bruce Mitchell, an 18-year-old schoolboy then, said the mast was in the wrong place.

"The point farther down the coast just south of Camp Bay is where most of the people came ashore."

Former Lower Hutt Police constable Jim Mason said he was in water up to his chest, as people were dashed and cut to pieces on the rocks.

"I did two full days of rescue work, and we didn't get counselling in those days."

Shirley Hicks of Shannon is one of the most celebrated survivors. As she spoke of her losses, the passing Interislander ferry Arahura blew a mournful blast on its foghorn in tribute.

"The people of Eastbourne rescued my daughter, Alma but she didn't make it and passed away. My little six year old, Gordon, came ashore drowned, and was revived, but died in 1990," she said.

"My third son, David Knight, washed up on the Wellington side with no clothes on, no mummy, no daddy, no memory."

"I've just met up with Gerry Quaid and Ray Nunns, the two Aramoana lifeboat crew who picked me out of the water. I have a lot to be thankful to them for."

Ms Hicks has Wahine-related tattoos over much of her body, the ship on her back, her dead children on each arm.

"It was just a crazy thing I did, to remember my children. I don't regret it. Today has helped me get beyond a life of bad memories  but it'll always be there."

As the ceremony wound down from all the memories and tears, children played in the sand and an Eastbourne resident called for three cheers.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/hutt-news/3575986/Memories-and-tears-as-Wahine-recalled
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:16:01 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: