Xtra News Community 2
April 17, 2024, 12:33:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Warbirds over Wanaka

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warbirds over Wanaka  (Read 396 times)
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« on: April 05, 2010, 06:53:04 pm »

KTJ has been missing from this board all weekend.

Does he have better things to do?

Looking forward to the photos.
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:03:51 pm »

We have been in the flight path of a few interesting metal tubes passing overhead and will no doubt see them on the return flight from whence they came.     The four FA18s made the windows rattle.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:17:16 pm »

If you want to see lots of photographs taken at last weekend's Warbirds Over Wanaka airshow, a large number of images have been posted to the “Wings Over New Zealand Aviation Forum” in the Warbirds Over Wanaka 2010 thread (started by Errol — one of the two people I shared an apartment at Frankton [just down the road from Queenstown Airport] with — the other person was Zac who has also posted in the thread). The thread is currently covering eight pages, but is growing all the time as more and more photographs are posted to it. At least one professional aviation photographer has posted a large number of photographs to it (his images will be appearing in magazines all around the world over the next few months), and I will be posting some of my photos to the thread over the next week or so.

On the return flight from Queenstown to Wellington last Tuesday afternoon, I was surprised to discover I was sitting next to Phil Makanna in the aircraft (a Mount Cook Airlines flight). Phil is probably the most famous classic aviation photographer in the world. He is based in the USA and his photographs have appeared in a huge number of books, magazines, calendars, etc, over the years. Phil attended Wanaka where he took literally tens of thousands of photographs (many of them air-to-air shots), and was heading to Masterton (surprise, surprise) to spend three weeks extensively photographing Peter Jackson's huge collection of airworthy WWI fighter planes at Hood Aerodrome for an upcoming issue of the prestigious Warbirds International magazine, which is devoting an entire issue to Peter's collection. Phil will be in Masterton until after the Anzac Airshow featuring Peter Jackson's WWI planes, which is being held on Saturday, 24th April, then he will be returning to the USA.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:23:43 pm »

BTW....Errol is one of those chaps who has the latest high-tech toys for everything.

While we were sitting in the queue to get into Warbirds Over Wanaka early on the Saturday morning (while it was still dark), he was posting messages to that aviation forum.

Later that day, while we were driving away from Wanaka Airport and heading back to Frankton, he was uploading and posting photographs to various forums.

Like I said....Errol appears to be connected to the online world no matter where he is in the world!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:56:48 am »

Thanks, will enjoy looking at those photos.
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:33:27 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 01:03:35 pm »

Event to follow Warbirds

By JESSICA MADDOCK - The Southland Times | 1:14PM - Thursday, 14 February 2013

A YET-TO-BE-ANNOUNCED "special event" will follow Warbirds Over Wanaka at Easter next year.

Tickets for the 14th biennial international airshow, from Friday, April 18th, to Sunday, April 20th, 2014, go on sale on Monday.

Event manager Mandy Deans said there would be some new types of tickets next year, including a family pass, benefits for people who pre-booked, and the option of buyers printing their own tickets, along with the early-bird Friday silver pass.

Spectators were also encouraged to remain in Wanaka for a special event on Easter Monday, April 21st.

About 50,000 people attended the last airshow in 2012 and there was already great interest in next year's event, she said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/8303295/Event-to-follow-Warbirds
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 01:04:57 pm »

Tickets may be going on sale from Monday for next year's Warbirds Over Wanaka, but I've already got my Gold Pass.

I dealt with Mandy Deans directly while attending Wings Over Wairarapa a few weeks ago and jumped the queue.

She had a Warbirds Over Wanaka display tent at Hood Aerodrome during the Wairarapa airshow.

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 05:46:47 am »

Jets to race at Warbirds

Home » News » Queenstown Lakes
By Mark Price on Sat, 7 Dec 2013
News: Queenstown Lakes

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/284457/jets-race-warbirds
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 05:59:19 am »

The potential for disaster is huge, excellent stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 07:20:48 am »

The potential for disaster is huge, excellent stuff.

mirroring my thoughts as I read it Shocked   Undecided 

...The Airshow culminates in a huge mock air battle complete with the best pyrotechnics at an Airshow in New Zealand. All this set in one of the world’s most stunning Airshow locations in the world...
http://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/

Tongue nemmind, good for business...some adrenalin junkies will flock there with their cameras and those who have prepaid could perhaps make a killing by auctioning their tickets?

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 11:01:53 am »

from Fairfax NZ....

Warbirds Over Wanaka wants old caravans

By MARJORIE COOK | 9:58AM - Friday, 18 November 2016

Airshow volunteer Graham Taylor checks out a possible caravan as a candidate for spectacular destruction during the 2018 Warbirds Over Wanaka airshow.
Airshow volunteer Graham Taylor checks out a possible caravan as a candidate
for spectacular destruction during the 2018 Warbirds Over Wanaka airshow.

THE Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow wants to reprise one of its most famous stunts in the event's 30-year history.

They are seeking old caravans that are definitely past their use-by-date.

There's just only catch for the owners. The caravans will not be returned after the 2018 event.

Airshow general manager Ed Taylor said the event team wanted to bring back some of the most popular acts of the last three decades.

“Without giving too much away, the caravans will certainly be going out with a bang and could well end up being one of the star attractions at the event. While we will consider any offers, the closer to Wanaka the better in terms of getting the caravans here,” Taylor said.

Planning for the next airshow is well underway.

Taylor said 2018 marks 30 years since the first event and there were weekly enquiries about tickets, which go on sale in about three months time.

“A lot of that interest is from overseas, especially Australia where some fans start planning the minute they get home from the previous Wanaka airshow,” Taylor said.

Anyone who has a potential caravan they would like to donate to the airshow should contact ed@warbirdsoverwanaka.co.nz or 0274 307 549.

WARBIRDS OVER WANAKA INTERNATIONAL AIRSHOW

Related stories:

• Wanaka aviator offers flying scholarships

• Warbirds Over Wanaka creates flying scholarships after successful airshow

• Yak 52 team breaks formation flight world record at Warbirds Over Wanaka

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/86467842
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: