Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 10:22:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

NO thanks, Facebook, I don't want to join

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NO thanks, Facebook, I don't want to join  (Read 4655 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: March 20, 2010, 08:04:38 am »

Some months ago, the first time I visited Facebook, my AV wouldn't let me open the site, reported a virus present.

Recently I tried again to join to read my grandson's contributions re his experiences in South America (during the earthquake he was in San Tiago,) now he's off with his mates on a motorcycle tour of the country.

I check all my mail on the server to blow out the chaff before I let it into my PC.

When I eventually got what looked like an acknowlegementof my "Join NOW" from facebook with an attached registration notification, my AV had removed the attachment when I downloaded to my PC inbox as it contained a virus that my ISP's spam filter failed to identify.  Went back in to the webmail and moved the offending email to the spam box.

Contacted xtrahelp to ask why their "protection" failed to identify the malicious  email, was advised to contact my AV supplier. I thought it was Xtra's Norton, cos it had in the past removed trojan delivery attachments. The operator seemed to think my AV was misbehaving, misreporting.

since then I have had heaps of the facebook fakes, and today found out why.  Roll Eyes

New password-stealing virus targets Facebook

BOSTON
Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:08pm EDT

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62G5A420100318?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a49:g43:r2:c0.074766:b32036022:z0

Note the incorrect address indicated in the attachment here.  I think Xtra should scrap their deal with Nortons.

LOL. 

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:58:35 am »

Ahhh... I just found that email in my spam folder. The only reason I asssumed it was genuine spam is I don't use that email account for facebook.

The irony is that I was checking the spam folder for an email I was expecting from SIL - sure enough there it was. Some words in the subject line trip yahoo's spam filter while spam perportedly from our family account and my alias account used to sneak through until I manually blocked them. Huh

Why the heck would I be sending emails to myself from the same address?
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:54:49 pm »

Russian ‘Facebook’ Hacker not in New Zealand
4 May, 2010 - 13:28

An investigation into a Russian hacker known as ‘Kirllos’ has established the hacker had no link to New Zealand.

Detective Senior Sergeant John van den Heuvel of the Police National Cyber Crime Centre (NC3) says reports that the hacker was living in New Zealand and attempting to sell the login details of Facebook users were wrong.

“‘Kirllos’ has been traced back to Saransk,Russia. The only connection between him and New Zealand is that he changed his underground forum profile to that of a female from New Zealand."

It was reported that ‘Kirllos’ offered the user names and passwords of 1.5 million Facebook users for between $35 and $62.70 per 1000 accounts sold and he did this via an underground online forum. The New York Times reported that the login details of as many as 700,000 Facebook accounts had already been sold.

"He is still in Russia and there is no information to suggest he has ever been to New Zealand. Russian Police are now investigating," Mr van den Heuvel said.

"We have been in touch with Facebook's Security team who also believe the hacker has never been based in New Zealand.”

The NC3 investigation into ‘Kirllos’ is now concluded.

ENDS

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/23314.html

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:47:42 am »

Mum's fury over Facebook photos
By Lin Ferguson
4:00 AM Sunday May 16, 2010

An aspiring councillor has taken legal advice over an alleged smear campaign involving photos taken from her Facebook site.

Trina Severinsen, who will stand for Wanganui District Council later this year, said she was furious that images of her kissing people had been emailed widely to residents.

She said the photos of her, her boyfriend and a group of friends were taken on New Year's Eve and described them as party high jinks fuelled by a few drinks.

The 28-year-old mother of four had nothing to hide and didn't care about the photos but was incensed by the attached captions forwarded with them.

"I find it hard to believe why anyone would want to go to these lengths and to be so nasty.

"The captions are libellous and people can't get away with that sort of stuff.

"Anyway I know one thing - I'm so pleased this happened now, early in my campaign. There will be no more photographs on my Facebook, I can tell you that. I have learned a big lesson."

In an email exchange with one of the people circulating the photos, Wanganui Mayor Michael Laws said he intended to advise Severinsen to sue for defamation.

He described the sender as "a vile woman" and suggested she too get a lawyer.

"People can have a go at others for their political affiliations, or whatever, but this has gone a step beyond that (and) been taken out of context."

He said people who defamed others through email, texts, Facebook and other media had to realise they were subject to the same laws as anybody else.

But he said Severinsen may benefit from the incident because many who read about it would have sympathy for her.

Severinsen said Laws had encouraged her in her bid for public office.

"He is my mentor and is helping me. His advice is fantastic. I'm very lucky."

She said she wanted to get into local politics to represent young families because she knew what they needed and people should keep trying to better themselves.

She thought that Laws had done an outstanding job for Wanganui but said there could be spats if she got elected.

"Well I have very definite views, that's the sort of person I am. And I am passionate about young families and what they need in Wanganui. I love Wanganui, I was born and bred here and it's my dream to become a councillor.

"I think it's very good for my children too to see their mother trying to get ahead."

- ADDITIONAL REPORTING: REBECCA LEWIS

- WANGANUI CHRONICLE

By Lin Ferguson

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10645260

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He said people who defamed others through email, texts, Facebook and other media had to realise they were subject to the same laws as anybody else.

But he said Severinsen may benefit from the incident because many who read about it would have sympathy for her.

Severinsen said Laws had encouraged her in her bid for public office.

"He is my mentor and is helping me. His advice is fantastic. I'm very lucky."

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:48:30 pm »

Missing Facebook teen found dead
By Tim Vollmer and Evelyn Yamine 
The Daily Telegraph
May 15, 2010 10:16AM

•Teenager met 'two men' on Facebook
•Police reveal her body has been found
•Man has been arrested and charged
A TEENAGER missing from home after arranging a camping trip with two men she met on Facebook was found dead last night.
Sydney homicide detectives arrested a 20-year-old man about 8pm.

Police this morning charged him with murder after the discovery of the body which is believed to be Nona Belomesoff. The man has been refused bail and will appear at Parramatta Bail Court later today.

Police will allege that the second man she believed she was meeting did not exist.

Offficers revealed at 1am that they had found a woman's body about 9.40pm after scouring bushland near Waminda Oval at Waminda Ave, East Campbelltown, in Sydney's west.

The teenager's family notified police when she failed to return home on Thursday and was unable to be reached on her mobile phone.

A family member said they believed she was camping with work friends on Wednesday and expected her back home the following day.

Miss Belomesoff, 18, was last seen leaving her Cecil Hills family home about 9am on Wednesday.

Police said she had arranged to meet two men about 10am at Leumeah railway station, with the trio planning to camp out in an area of bushland near Campbelltown.

Nona was last seen wearing a white shirt and carrying a small bag.

Officers spent yesterday scouring bushland in the area while detectives interviewed one of the men the teenager had arranged to meet through the social networking site.

Earlier yesterday, Nona's brother Gary Belomesoff, 20, described his sister as "a good girl''.

"She doesn't go out often. She's more a home girl," he said.

Mr Belomesoff said his sister, a TAFE student who graduated from Canley Vale High School last year, had a deep love of animals, which was the reason she had planned the trip.

US-based Facebook authorities were last night helping with the investigation, providing access to her profile and tracking her final communications.

Police issued a warning to social network users: "You don't know who is on the other end of the computer.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/missing-facebook-teen-found-dead/story-e6frf7l6-1225867079041

Don't look at http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/facebook-teen-lured-and-killed/story-e6frewt0-1225867233760 if you have teenage daughters

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:53:35 pm by nitpicker1 » Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 02:38:14 pm »

I don't do Facebook.

I did create an account once upon a time (a long time ago), but I've never been back since and wouldn't even be able to remember how to sign-in anymore or what my password is, anyway, so Facebook doesn't even exist as far as I am concerned.

I received a personal message about a Facebook link in this group (I've received more than one of those PM's over the past few months from various members), but I cannot even see a Facebook link anywhere on the group.

The only think I can think of is that perhaps my proxy server is blocking the link from downloading (the proxy server also blocks ALL advertisments from downloading with this group and ALL other websites).

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Magoo
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 03:12:58 pm »

The facebook link is at the bottom of each starter post in every thread.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 03:15:21 pm »

I don't do Facebook.

I did create an account once upon a time (a long time ago), but I've never been back since and wouldn't even be able to remember how to sign-in anymore or what my password is, anyway, so Facebook doesn't even exist as far as I am concerned.

I received a personal message about a Facebook link in this group (I've received more than one of those PM's over the past few months from various members), but I cannot even see a Facebook link anywhere on the group.

The only think I can think of is that perhaps my proxy server is blocking the link from downloading (the proxy server also blocks ALL advertisments from downloading with this group and ALL other websites).

lol, I don't need to use proxomitron.   The button is at the bottom of the first post in each thread  FYI see attached screenshot   
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 11:16:48 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 11:47:00 am »

Good advice there Nitz.   Never put anything on Facebook that you wouldn't put in the newspaper.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 10:39:43 pm »

That perverted, manipulative piece of shit that tried to manipulate my then 15 year old into bed (and out of her parents care) tried to friend her on facebook this morning. 

She blocked him and put a 'blerk' comment up.  Not nearly as vicious as the comment I put up though.   Mine mentioned that she was now 2 years over the age of consent, and therefore too old for his fucked up tastes.  Freaken filth probably remembers that she has a younger sister.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 11:02:33 pm »

That perverted, manipulative piece of shit that tried to manipulate my then 15 year old into bed (and out of her parents care) tried to friend her on facebook this morning. 

She blocked him and put a 'blerk' comment up.  Not nearly as vicious as the comment I put up though.   Mine mentioned that she was now 2 years over the age of consent, and therefore too old for his fucked up tastes.  Freaken filth probably remembers that she has a younger sister.

I hope your comments are available for all his "friends". You don't know who else he is targeting.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
dragontamer
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 11:08:18 pm »

I'm friends with a large contingency of local women (mums of the teens/preteens), all of who know my thoughts of and experiences with this guy.

The local grapevine is every bit as effective as any in a prison.  I don't usually condone those grapevines, but they sure as hell have their uses.

Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 11:34:44 pm »

Actually, I think parents of teenage daughters should read that.  People are out there who WILL get into your child's head given half a chance - and I was/am a parent who has always been very open with my kids on how that sort of shit happens - it still almost happened to one of mine - she had heaps of information of things to be wary of, yet she still got charmed and manipulated.  Thankfully she saw light before things went too far, but it caused a hell of a lot of stress for us and her before she woke up.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 07:08:44 am »

Actually, I think parents of teenage daughters should read that.  People are out there who WILL get into your child's head given half a chance - and I was/am a parent who has always been very open with my kids on how that sort of shit happens - it still almost happened to one of mine - she had heaps of information of things to be wary of, yet she still got charmed and manipulated.  Thankfully she saw light before things went too far, but it caused a hell of a lot of stress for us and her before she woke up.

That story, http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/facebook-teen-lured-and-killed/story-e6frewt0-1225867233760 , has started a groundswell against Facebook in Australia.  I queried it's User's safety and it's link to our group before the murder occurred, facebook when I tried to join gave me the first virus/trojan this AV ever allowed in.

Facebook users hit by hoax sexy video
Playing video infects PC with adware
By Carrie-ann Skinner, PC Advisor UK
May 17, 2010 10:22 AM ET

Thousands of Facebook users have been the victim of a fake video that's designed to infect PCs with adware, says Sophos.

According to the security firm, hundreds of social networkers said the video, which claims to be the "sexiest video ever", looked as though it had been posted on their Facebook page by friends.

The message with the video read "this is without doubt the sexiest video ever! Tongue Tongue Tongue. Candid Camera Prank [HQ] Length: 3:17" and featured a thumbnail of a woman on an exercise bicycle wearing a short skirt.

However, those clicking on the video are warned that the video won't play unless the correct software is installed. Those that download the software instead install adware on their PC.
"You may want to watch a sexy video, but you're more likely to end up being plagued by pop-up advertising," warned Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.

"Not only is adware being installed on your computer, but the rogue Facebook application is posting the same message to all of your friends' accounts. It's no surprise that your friends might click to watch the movie when it looks to all intents and purposes that you are the person who has sent it to them."

Cluley urged web users not to click on the link, and said those who have been attacked should scan their computer with anti-virus software, change their passwords and remove the application from their Facebook profile.

"70 percent more Facebook users are reporting being attacked by malware via the site in the last year, and the problem only seems to be getting worse," added Cluley.

"Social networking users need to learn not to fall for simple but effective social engineering tricks like this in future."

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/051710-facebook-users-hit-by-hoax.html?source=nww_rss
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 07:44:45 am »

However, those clicking on the video are warned that the video won't play unless the correct software is installed. Those that download the software instead install adware on their PC. 
If someone falls for that then they are too stupid to be on the internet.           Most infections are well deserved in my opinion.   People opening attachments and downloading rubbish from unknown, unsafe, untrusted websites.        I have been surprised at the number of people I have come across who think they do not need virus protection....would not even consider running AVG free.  Roll Eyes   
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 08:46:44 am »

If someone falls for that then they are too stupid to be on the internet.           Most infections are well deserved in my opinion.   People opening attachments and downloading rubbish from unknown, unsafe, untrusted websites.        I have been surprised at the number of people I have come across who think they do not need virus protection....would not even consider running AVG free.  Roll Eyes   

Yeah, BUT

Kids take a long while to develope their prefrontal lobes. Some 'experts' say that occurs at age 25.  (it isn't hard to see that some never pass the chronological age of 14) (- ooops, I looked in the mirror)

Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 09:00:17 am »

Mirrors need to be removed from the house, they can cause shocks .
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 09:40:17 pm »

Privacy Commissioner invites Facebook concerns
NZPA
May 24, 2010, 8:14 pm

New Zealanders unhappy with changes to Facebook's privacy settings can share their concerns with the Privacy Commissioner.

Recent changes to the social networking site included an "Instant Personalization Pilot Program" which shared personal information with external websites to tailor browsing experiences.

Other applications also shared information with third parties, while information could also be shared by Facebook friends.

Users were not alerted to added settings, which were made public by default, and had to go through them line-by-line to control their privacy settings, Privacy Commissioner Marie Shroff said.

The New York Times reported that to opt out of full disclosure of most information, it was necessary to click through more than 50 privacy buttons, and a total of more than 170 privacy options.

The Privacy Commission was liaising with overseas privacy regulators about Facebook's privacy issues, Ms Shroff said.

Ms Shroff recommended New Zealanders unsure about their privacy settings to set all Facebook settings to 'private' and then choose what they want to open up.

New Zealanders concerned about Facebook could share their views with the Privacy Commission via enquiries@privacy.org.nz or with Facebook at www.facebook.com/fbsitegovernance.

The results of a Privacy Commission survey released earlier this month indicated 83 percent of New Zealanders were concerned about the security of their personal information on the internet.

Fewer than half of respondents, 43 percent, said they used a social networking website like Facebook, but that was up from 32 percent in June last year, and 14 percent in August 2007.

The number of social networking users who believed the sites were mainly private spaces where they shared information with their friends was surprisingly high, at 57 percent.

More than half of the respondents who used social networking websites said they were concerned about what the sites used their personal information for and 55 percent said they were uncomfortable with search engines and websites tracking their internet use to deliver targeted advertising.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/7286257/privacy-commissioner-invites-facebook-concerns/

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 08:35:00 am »

Facebook CEO Promises 'Simpler' Privacy Controls

Mark Zuckerberg says his company "missed the mark" on privacy controls and will deliver changes 'in the coming weeks.'

By Alison Diana
InformationWeek
May 24, 2010 12:46 PM

In response to public and government outrage over privacy concerns, Facebook is expected to soon unveil simpler privacy controls and enable users to turn off all third-party services.
Company co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg wrote in a column he penned for Monday's Washington Post: "We just missed the mark. We have heard the feedback."

Currently, Facebook has 50 privacy settings and 170 privacy options, a confusing array that has generated a host of angry blog postings, websites and government letters. "The biggest message we have heard recently is that people want easier control over their information," wrote Zuckerberg. "Simply put, many of you thought our controls were too complex. Our intention was to give you lots of granular controls; but that may not have been what many of you wanted."

Last month, Facebook added a "Like" button that gathered users' preferences from across the web. The site's "Instant Personalization" button allowed sites such as Yelp and Pandora to use Facebook data to customize users experiences. This expanded access to consumers' data also came under fire.

"We have also heard that some people don't understand how their personal information is used and worry that it is shared in ways they don't want," Zuckerberg wrote in his column. "Many people choose to make some of their information visible to everyone so people they know can find them on Facebook. We already offer controls to limit the visibility of that information and we intend to make them even stronger."

Earlier this month, Facebook convened a general meeting to address the public's growing concerns and the announcement of Quit Facebook Day on May 31.

The phrase "how to quit Facebook" generated nearly 17 million results in a recent Google search, and prominent tech industry figures are ditching their accounts on the social networking site.

On Sunday, during an email exchange with tech blogger Robert Scoble, Zuckerberg admitted Facebook had made errors.

"I know we’ve made a bunch of mistakes, but my hope at the end of this is that the service ends up in a better place and that people understand that our intentions are in the right place and we respond to the feedback from the people we serve," Zuckerberg said.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/blades/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225000112&subSection=News

Hey, smfforfree.com/

photobucket's done it too

Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 04:31:05 pm »

Facebook and Google were partly funded with money from the CIA its almost impossible to delete your information It means someone knows everything about you,your friends,family even your posted pictures are there to be sold and looked at by strangers..

It is the CIA and any other spying agency's perfect dream to be able to search find and look at almost anyones life.

Even if you opt out and close down your page its always still there, you can sign back into it at any time in the future and its like you never left,
They are selling your information to anyone they wish and you have no say about it,thats what you signed up to  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 04:28:02 pm »

Identity thieves set up page on Bebo
By Kristin Macfarlane
4:00 AM Sunday Jun 6, 2010

Police have issued a fresh warning about the dangers of networking sites after a Rotorua woman had a fake Bebo account set up in her name.

Mihi Mareikura was targeted by internet fraudsters only days after moving to Facebook and closing her Bebo page .

The 21-year-old said identity thieves created a new page in her name, featuring personal details, and photos of her and her three children.

The fake account listed her relationship status as "down for whatever".

Mareikura said whoever set up the page must have been spying on her over the net.

She said she had no idea why anyone would want to "steal" her identity.

"I'm confused as to why someone would want to steal my life, it's just really weird," she said.

"They must really want something. I just think it's stupid."

More than 80 photos of her friends and children have been posted on the fake site, which have been copied from her friends' Bebo pages

Whoever set up the page has been adding Mareikura's friends and family, and she is worried the person could cause problems for her with people she knows or even strangers.

"I'm sure they will mail people ... they could cause so much trouble," Mareikura said.

She was concerned it only took three days from the time she closed her account last Saturday until she was told a new one had been set up.

Mareikura's friends are lodging a complaint with Bebo on her behalf.

Sergeant John Cassidy from Rotorua recommended anyone who has a fake site set up in their name to contact police.

He said police tend to receive more complaints about Trade Me users than social networking sites.

In April, owners AOL announced Bebo would either be shut down or sold due to users deserting the site for Facebook and MySpace.

Last week Facebook introduced simpler privacy controls after its settings were criticised.

In May 2008, Bebo users in New Zealand were given full access to other users' accounts.

Various users who logged in under their own account were switched over to the accounts of other users at random intervals, some people gaining access to over 20 different accounts.

- THE DAILY POST

By Kristin Macfarlane

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/crime/news/article.cfm?c_id=30&objectid=10649998
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 05:02:25 pm »

A good indicator as to how well you have your privacy buttons set is to type your name into Google and see what pops up.             Type in forum nicks and see what you find too.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 02:01:05 pm »

(my underlining emphasis)

Employees warned over work comments on Facebook
NZPA
June 9, 2010, 11:54 am

Employees venting workplace anger to their Facebook friends should face legal action, the Employers and Manufacturers Association (EMA) says.

EMA employment services manager David Lowe said the use of social media was untested in employment law but employers should take action if employees badmouth them online.

"Some employees continue to say things on their social networking pages forgetting it isn't private. Businesses must not sit back and allow their reputations to be sullied by the thoughtless comments of employees or ex-employees."

Mr Lowe said the EMA received calls nearly every day from businesses which had found a derogatory remark about the manager, customers, work colleagues or the company itself on a Facebook page.

"Many people don't seem to make the connection between age old legal principles and the modern world of Facebook."

Mr Lowe said business needed to keep an eye on the sites to see what was being said about them as both positive and negative comments could be influential.

Even former employees or those overseas could face potential legal repercussions.

A Council of Trade Unions spokesperson said employers needed to differentiate between their employees grumbling to their friends and running a defamatory website.

"Employers need to make any policy on this clear to employees just as they would in any other matter. The way they deal with this needs to be in accordance with contracts."

The spokesperson said any action needed to be in proportion.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/7369004/employees-warned-over-work-comments-on-facebook/

In other words, they're telling you this:

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 11:06:10 am »

this'll be interesting?

Facebook sacking has sequel in court
By STACEY WOOD
The Dominion Post
Last updated 05:00 10/06/2010

An ambulance worker fired over comments she made on Facebook is taking her former employer to court in one of the first New Zealand cases involving social media.

Alana Adams, 22, lost her job as a paramedic with the Wellington Free Ambulance Service this year after an altercation with a co-worker, part of which took place on Facebook. The co-worker complained that she had been extremely rude, made smart comments under her breath and spoke down to him at work, before becoming abusive during a Facebook exchange the next day.

Ms Adams has told the Employment Relations Authority that the Facebook discussion was "one between friends and was merely a minor spat".

The case will be heard early next week in the Employment Court in Wellington.

the rest is at  http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/national/3793259/Facebook-sacking-has-sequel-in-court
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: