Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 10:28:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

NO thanks, Facebook, I don't want to join

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NO thanks, Facebook, I don't want to join  (Read 4683 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:33 am »

Background
http://www.tunneltalk.com/New-Zealand-Nov11-National-park-road-route-gains-momentum.php

1000 sign tunnel petition

Home » News » Queenstown Lakes

By Tracey Roxburgh on Thu, 19 Apr 2012
Your Town: Glenorchy 
News: Queenstown Lakes | DOC

An online petition started by a Glenorchy woman opposed to the Department of Conservation granting a concession to Milford Dart Ltd for its $150 million, 11.3km tunnel, has more than 1000 signatures - just two days after it was started.
Patricia Jantien Ko launched the "Department of Conservation, New Zealand: decline permission to Milford Dart Ltd to construct the Dart Passage Tunnel" petition on Monday, which said if Doc granted the concession to the company, Tourism New Zealand's slogan of "100% Pure" would become "a worldwide lie".

"The proposed plan violates the National Park Policy of New Zealand saying that no new roads will be built in National Parks," the summary on the petition page said.

"The World Heritage status of this region will be in jeopardy, as a commercial construction will violate the preservation and protection of special places for the benefit of all.

"It will result in the loss of many nature-caring, discerning international travellers and New Zealanders normally visiting this region," it said.

Mrs Ko said on Tuesday the idea stemmed from a conversation she had had with Doc hearings panel chairman Paul Green and assistant Chris Visser, during the submissions hearing in Queenstown last month.

When asked what she believed tourists wanted, she thought it best if Doc actually asked tourists.

"I thought it would be really good for Doc to find out what potential visitors to this region want. It's about creating a tourist facility, but no-one has actually talked to the tourists."

Further, there were many domestic tourists who did not get an opportunity to speak to their submissions, without travelling to Queenstown or Te Anau to do so and, in some cases, the "time-costly" nature of the submission process put people off, she said.

"I wanted to give them the opportunity to have a say."

The petition had been supported by many overseas residents, including people from Spain, Australia, the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Poland and Holland.

The petition will stay open for about a week, at which point Mrs Ko hopes to take it to the Doc decision maker, likely to be deputy director Sue Tucker, for consideration.

Doc media adviser Reuben Williams, of Wellington, said on Tuesday that because the formal submission process had closed, the petition would not be counted as submissions.

However, "it doesn't mean it can't be taken into account", particularly because of it being a petition.

MDL will present its response to the hearings panel tomorrow in Queenstown, following two weeks of hearings split between Queenstown and Te Anau last month.

- tracey.roxburgh@odt.co.nz

http://www.odt.co.nz/your-town/glenorchy/205974/1000-sign-tunnel-petition

How Facebook rules the world?  Roll Eyes

I have had a a look through the reasons signatories are giving for their support of the petition, seems to me they illustrate a predictable kneejerk reaction against "progress" and very little else.

If I were to sign anything at all about the project, it would be a demand for disclosure of information regarding disposal of the spoil,  whether there is a plan to recover valuable alluvial deposits discovered during the excavation, whether the tunnel would be completed if there were to be a significant discovery, and what will happen to the project if it fails before completion

Signatures 1,892 out of 2,250 as at 7:30am 19/04/2012
Signatures 1,898 out of 2,250  "  "    8:00am

Signatures 1,911 out of 2,250  "  "     8:23am

PS:  you certainly wouldn't catch me even in the specially designed purpose-built bus in a 11.3km tunnel through earthquake country; the Homer tunnel and the Manapouri Powerhouse tour are bad enough. 

on second thoughts -- maybe the tunnel could be marketed as yet another adrenaline producing "Adventure Tour"?

PPS: Signatures  1,931 out of 2,250 @9:08am
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: