Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 12:30:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Shrinking paddlepops

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shrinking paddlepops  (Read 90 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: March 15, 2010, 03:01:44 pm »

Paddle Pop icecreams have a few less licks in them after a size reduction their maker claims is for "nutritional" reasons.

The chocolate, banana and rainbow flavoured icecreams are now 15 per cent smaller than they were. But their $1.50 price hasn't changed.

Streets' parent company, Unilever, says the icecreams were downsized from 82ml to 70ml last year because they were sold in school canteens and had to meet "nutritional guidelines for schools and our strict internal guidelines that govern what products we market for children".

Unilever spokeswoman Jennie James said Paddle Pops' fat and kilojoules had been cut by about 20 per cent, but still had other nutritional benefits such as being low GI, portion-controlled and a source of calcium.

But Wayne Attwell, a senior brand strategist with marketing consultants Bold Horizon, believes the company's motive is financial.

The smaller Paddle Pops join a growing list of shrinking products, which Mr Attwell said were usually downsized to cut costs.

"Some people would say it's smart accounting, others would say it's diddling the consumer," he said.

"I suspect all of these things are driven by economic means.

"If you're really doing it for a genuine thing, like you want to reduce the consumption by kids, then reduce the price accordingly or take the difference in price and invest it in some children's programme. Don't look to be skimming the margin."

Cadbury came under fire when it reduced its chocolate blocks from 250g to 200g, and came in for further criticism after adding palm oil to its chocolate recipe. It later dropped the oil.

Mars reduced its Mars bars from 60g to 53g, Twix from 58g to 53g, and also produced smaller bags of M&M's, Pods and Maltesers.

Last November, Tip Top reduced the size of four of its specialty ice cream tubs from 2 litre to 1.6 litre.

The ice-cream maker said the smaller tubs were packed with more "exciting bits" but said the change was necessary to prevent the price of all products going up.

Not only sweet treats are affected - Anchor reduced its cheese blocks from 1kg to 900g.

Mr Attwell said it was often hard for buyers to see the difference because the bigger products were not left around for comparison.

Consumer NZ spokeswoman Maggie Edwards said companies could reduce a product's size without changing the price as long as the size or weight was not advertised with the price label.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10631784&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:03:21 pm »

If people stopped buying them they would get the message. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:11:55 pm »

Manufacturers have 2 choices.   Increase the price or keep the price the same and make the product slightly smaller.   Surely everyone can read the altered weight and make up their own minds whether to buy it or not !   

Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:28:41 pm »

You can buy the plastic ice block trays shaped like paddle pops with the stick on the lid and make your own for a fraction of the cost either with juice or yoghurt.  Probably better for the children too.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 04:52:39 pm »

Manufacturers have 2 choices.   Increase the price or keep the price the same and make the product slightly smaller.   Surely everyone can read the altered weight and make up their own minds whether to buy it or not !  

Do we all read the weights of what we are buying all the time - often the packaging is the same size so we expect the contents to be the same also.

I always laugh at the sugar packs in cafes - they are marked as having a teaspoon of sugar in them, the package is about 3inches long .. the sugar in the bottom quarter inch.  I guess they use a diffferent sized teaspoon than I do  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:55:48 pm »

Manufacturers have 2 choices.   Increase the price or keep the price the same and make the product slightly smaller.   Surely everyone can read the altered weight and make up their own minds whether to buy it or not !  

Do we all read the weights of what we are buying all the time - often the packaging is the same size so we expect the contents to be the same also.

I always laugh at the sugar packs in cafes - they are marked as having a teaspoon of sugar in them, the package is about 3inches long .. the sugar in the bottom quarter inch.  I guess they use a diffferent sized teaspoon than I do  Grin

It would be an interesting experiment to pour the contents of one of those sachets into a measuring spoon to see.

I couldn't tell you as I don't use sugar so have never had a close look.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 09:21:16 pm »

I wonder if we are expected, or should suck it up and accept this BS!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: