Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 06:37:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

ATLANTIS?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATLANTIS?  (Read 300 times)
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« on: February 20, 2009, 06:31:51 pm »

THIS is the amazing image which could show the fabled sunken city of Atlantis.
It shows a perfect rectangle the size of Wales lying on the bed of the Atlantic Ocean nearly 3½ miles down.

A host of criss-crossing lines, looking like a map of a vast metropolis, are enclosed by the boundary.

They seem too vast and organised to be caused naturally.

And last night the possibility of an extraordinary discovery had oceanographers and geophysicists captivated.

The site lies 620 miles off the west coast of Africa near the Canary Islands — a location for Atlantis seemingly suggested by the ancient philosopher Plato.

He believed it was an island civilisation sunk by an earthquake and floods around 9,700BC — nearly 12,000 years ago.

The “grid” showed up on Google Ocean, a Google Earth extension that uses a combination of satellite images and marine surveys.

Last night Dr Charles Orser, curator of historical archaeology at New York State University — and one of the world’s leading authorities on Atlantis — called it “fascinating”.

He said: “The site is one of the most prominent places for the proposed location of Atlantis, as described by Plato. Even if it turns out to be geographical, this definitely deserves a closer look.”

The legend of Atlantis has captured the imagination of scholars for centuries.

And in the 1970s it spawned a hit TV series, Man From Atlantis, in which Patrick Duffy played a webbed hero who could live underwater
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2255989.ece
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 06:35:27 pm »

Suuuure it is.
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:38:43 pm »

What a load of crap that newspaper is.
And shit there's some dumb-ass doctors around!!

The truth - The lines are nothing more than the area directly under the survey ships sonar as it steamed up and down surveying the area...

sorry to take the mystery out of it....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:29:18 am by DazzaMc » Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:40:31 pm »

3 1/2 miles is an awful lot of downfaulting in 12000 years... Highly unlikely.
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:00:01 pm »

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 09:59:41 am »

Google rejects Atlantis discovery claims

Google has denied claims made in the national papers that its Google Earth tool had been used to discover a grid of streets in the ocean thought to be the lost city of Atlantis.

The claim was originally made to the Sun by UK aeronautical engineer Bernie Bamford who saw a grid of lines undersea off the coast of west Africa, a location Atlantis experts have argued is one of the possible sites of the Atlantean metropolis.

Plato had described Atlantis sinking into the ocean "in a single day and night of misfortune" around 9000 BC, after the city had failed in its attempt to invade Athens. The remains of the city have never been found.

But Google said the criss-crossing lines seen by Bamford were in fact made by boats using sona technology to collect data from the sea floor.

"Bathymetric (or sea floor terrain) data is often collected from boats using sonar to take measurements of the sea floor," said a Google spokesperson. "The lines reflect the path of the boat as it gathers the data."

Bamford had been using the latest version of Google's earth mapping system, Google Earth 5.0, which traces the ocean floor and surface data from marine experts.

Google said although the Atlantis claim was false, Google Earth had been used for other "amazing discoveries", including a pristine forest in Mozambique that is home to previously unknown species and the remains of an ancient Roman villa.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2236948/google-rejects-atlantis
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:06:19 am »

"The claim was originally made to the Sun by UK aeronautical engineer Bernie Bamford" - for a aeronautical engineer that's rather sad.

I bet he's just the Janitor at the aeronautical building.
Seems his IQ is probably better suited for that line of work......

Report Spam   Logged

Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:25:54 am »

So Google are now the authorities on the Ocean Floor?
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:33:02 am »

Lol... almost - but not quite. It all depends on the quility of the data they get. They certinally have the tools!

They will be in a few more years - infact - Google will soon be the 'authorities' of the planet... as far as imaging goes.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: