Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 01:04:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: SEROUS TSUNAMI THREAT TO NZ

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: SEROUS TSUNAMI THREAT TO NZ  (Read 2568 times)
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2010, 11:59:11 am »

I slept like a baby from just after 10:00pm, assisted by copious quanties of 21-year-old Johnny Walker Black Label that I had consumed at a barbeque earlier in the evening.

I can report that I haven't seen anything unusual occuring at or near my place 50km inland from the South Wairarapa Coast and at an elevation of approximately 130 metres above mean sea level.

I didn't notice anything unusual with Wellington Harbour this morning either when I drove a train to Wellington and back.

That's because you was still pissed.
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2010, 12:02:49 pm »

I slept like a baby from just after 10:00pm, assisted by copious quanties of 21-year-old Johnny Walker Black Label that I had consumed at a barbeque earlier in the evening.

I can report that I haven't seen anything unusual occuring at or near my place 50km inland from the South Wairarapa Coast and at an elevation of approximately 130 metres above mean sea level.

I didn't notice anything unusual with Wellington Harbour this morning either when I drove a train to Wellington and back.

That's because you was still pissed.

Nope....I was just a teensy weensy bit hung-over and that was all.

I use the water trick....drink a shitload of water before crashing and have a large waterbottle by the bed and any time you wake up during the night pour heaps more water down the throat into the stomach. Then, when you wake up first thing in the morning, drink a shitload more water then lie in bed for at least five minutes before getting up. It's dehydration that gives you a bad hangover. Hence the reason for drinking all that water. It works too!
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2010, 12:10:04 pm »

Been watching the TV news TVone .. they got reporters saying the tide went out here really fast then came in fast .. dropped bout a metre ..... but they dont have film of what they saw  Shocked  Why no helis up doing shots of the water racing.  Tutukaka again come to the rescue and show real flushing whirlpools ..

This sort of thing is good exercise for the CD people .. even if it mounts to very little .. they get a good try out of all their toys.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2010, 12:42:27 pm »

The graphs are still showing a lot of activity in the Chathams. What happens there is happening here about an hour later. We're not hearing any more from Dazza, he's probably having a well earned sleep.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2010, 02:43:51 pm »

I think that Dazza deserves a big round of applause for keeping us so well informed and updated.

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2010, 02:59:18 pm »

I think that Dazza deserves a big round of applause for keeping us so well informed and updated.

Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2010, 03:35:24 pm »

Was there much damage round the NZ coast from these monster waves?
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2010, 03:46:52 pm »

Was there much damage round the NZ coast from these monster waves?
There were a couple of surges accompanying the king tide at the mouth near us this morning  and a couple of pine trees on the other side of the river out on the spit were washed away.   I think they were unstable from a gale we had not long ago.   
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »

No damage Yak.

Weve had an interesting day in the harbour, with a higher than normal high tide, and some very different wave patterns.

Tis best I think not to be blasé about things like this, footage from one of Aks beaches showed water coming in VERY fast.  Without the warnings, little children could well have been lost.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2010, 05:38:22 pm »

There still seems to be some funny stuff happening in Gisborne and Napier:

http://www.geonet.org.nz/tsunami/index.html

Report Spam   Logged

Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2010, 05:49:59 pm »

Aaaaah I have been away for the weekend right in the middle of the island.
BUT come home to find that my sister in law ( who lives in new brighton right by the beach ) had arrived here at 6.30am with her cat and dog. Mr B went out for the day to play sport and LEFT HER IN MY HOUSE.  She is nosey  the house feels violated    shudder..... bet I will find things moved or missing.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
akadaka
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2010, 05:52:31 pm »

She is nosey  the house feels violated    shudder.....

hope she aint been rumaging through your underware draw brownie Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
dragontamer
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »

I hope Mr B has been suitably chastised and told if it ever happens again he will be rewarded with a heavy dose of laxative for being a shithead.
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2010, 09:28:25 pm »

I hope Mr B has been suitably chastised and told if it ever happens again he will be rewarded with a heavy dose of laxative for being a shithead.

nah  I'll just scrub the loo with his tooth brush when he is asleep Wink
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2010, 03:38:25 am »

Aaaaah I have been away for the weekend right in the middle of the island.
BUT come home to find that my sister in law ( who lives in new brighton right by the beach ) had arrived here at 6.30am with her cat and dog. Mr B went out for the day to play sport and LEFT HER IN MY HOUSE.  She is nosey  the house feels violated    shudder..... bet I will find things moved or missing.

bet I will find things moved or missing.
  or even worse still, USED?   Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2010, 05:37:17 pm »

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2010, 06:41:32 pm »

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2010, 06:50:01 pm »

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2010, 12:43:00 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2010, 04:18:15 pm »

Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says
March 01, 2010, 2:28 PM EST
By Alex Morales

March 1 (Bloomberg) -- The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

Earthquakes can involve shifting hundreds of kilometers of rock by several meters, changing the distribution of mass on the planet. This affects the Earth’s rotation, said Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, who uses a computer model to calculate the effects.

“The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),” Gross, said today in an e-mailed reply to questions. “The axis about which the Earth’s mass is balanced should have moved by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters or 3 inches).”

The changes can be modeled, though they’re difficult to physically detect given their small size, Gross said. Some changes may be more obvious, and islands may have shifted, according to Andreas Rietbrock, a professor of Earth Sciences at the U.K.’s Liverpool University who has studied the area impacted, though not since the latest temblor.

Santa Maria Island off the coast near Concepcion, Chile’s second-largest city, may have been raised 2 meters (6 feet) as a result of the latest quake, Rietbrock said today in a telephone interview. He said the rocks there show evidence pointing to past earthquakes shifting the island upward in the past.

‘Ice-Skater Effect’

“It’s what we call the ice-skater effect,” David Kerridge, head of Earth hazards and systems at the British Geological Survey in Edinburgh, said today in a telephone interview. “As the ice skater puts when she’s going around in a circle, and she pulls her arms in, she gets faster and faster. It’s the same idea with the Earth going around if you change the distribution of mass, the rotation rate changes.”

Rietbrock said he hasn’t been able to get in touch with seismologists in Concepcion to discuss the quake, which registered 8.8 on the Richter scale.

“What definitely the earthquake has done is made the Earth ring like a bell,” Rietbrock said.

The magnitude 9.1 Sumatran in 2004 that generated an Indian Ocean tsunami shortened the day by 6.8 microseconds and shifted the axis by about 2.3 milliarcseconds, Gross said.

The changes happen on the day and then carry on “forever,” Benjamin Fong Chao, dean of Earth Sciences of the National Central University in Taiwan, said in an e-mail.

“This small contribution is buried in larger changes due to other causes, such as atmospheric mass moving around on Earth,” Chao said.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-03-01/chilean-quake-likely-shifted-earth-s-axis-nasa-scientist-says.html

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2010, 04:22:11 pm »

... yeh but did we move further north and closer to Aussie??  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2010, 04:52:16 pm »

... yeh but did we move further north and closer to Aussie??  Grin

nah, it's the fiordland shakes that do that
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2010, 06:13:39 pm »

so the poor old earth is still groaning

More aftershocks, new tsunami warning spur panic in Chile

An aftershock measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale struck late Wednesday following two aftershocks measuring 6.0 and 5.9 respectively earlier in the day.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-03/04/c_13196864.htm
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2010, 11:17:42 pm »

I can do without this, my grandson is still in Santiago 

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001
PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS
ISSUED AT 1159Z 05 MAR 2010

THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO AREAS WITHIN AND BORDERING THE PACIFIC
OCEAN AND ADJACENT SEAS...EXCEPT ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...
WASHINGTON...OREGON AND CALIFORNIA.

... TSUNAMI INFORMATION BULLETIN ...

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY.

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES.  ONLY
NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE
DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND
ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME -  1147Z 05 MAR 2010
 COORDINATES -  36.6 SOUTH   73.4 WEST
 DEPTH       -   29 KM
 LOCATION    -  NEAR COAST OF CENTRAL CHILE
 MAGNITUDE   -  6.6

EVALUATION

NO DESTRUCTIVE WIDESPREAD TSUNAMI THREAT EXISTS BASED ON
 HISTORICAL EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI DATA.

HOWEVER - EARTHQUAKES OF THIS SIZE SOMETIMES GENERATE LOCAL
 TSUNAMIS THAT CAN BE DESTRUCTIVE ALONG COASTS LOCATED WITHIN
 A HUNDRED KILOMETERS OF THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER. AUTHORITIES
 IN THE REGION OF THE EPICENTER SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS
 POSSIBILITY AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION.

THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BULLETIN ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE.

THE WEST COAST/ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER WILL ISSUE PRODUCTS
FOR ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...WASHINGTON...OREGON...CALIFORNIA.

Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2010, 07:14:29 am »

1.9 metre wave reached Lyttelton during tsunami

Further analysis of last Sunday's tsunami in New Zealand shows waves of almost two metres reached the port of Lyttelton.

The National Institute for Water & Atmospheric Research says there were about six locations around New Zealand where waves were higher than a metre, causing strong currents.

Principal scientist Rob Bell says Lyttelton would have faired badly if it had been high tide, as the largest waves of 1.9 metres came in.

Dr Bell says the waves arrived in two hour cycles causing a sloshing effect in Pegasus Bay, north of the port.

Gisborne had the second highest wave, at 1.7 metres.

The tsunami in New Zealand was triggered by a magnitude 8.8 earthquake at 3.34am on Saturday in Chile.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2010/03/06/1247f79a4428
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: