Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 06:15:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Civil Unions Not Popular

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civil Unions Not Popular  (Read 1102 times)
beaker
Senator
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 05:27:24 pm »

I'm straight and I've been tested for HIV.  I discovered my at the time partner of five years had been cheating on me.  Not wanting to be ignorant to the skanky ho he shacked up with's possibly shady past, I needed to check.... and re-check.

Newt, a marriage ceremony does not have to be conducted in a church - nor does it need to be a religious affair.  So not wanting to go the church way doesn't preclude marriage for hetrosexual couples.
Report Spam   Logged

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!!
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 08:03:06 pm »

What the hell is civil onions?
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 08:47:25 pm »

I know of some very uncivil marriages which have ended in divorce.
Perhaps they should have tried having a Civil Marriage Union?

KTJ
 I do believe we happen to be on the same track. Its just that you are a self opinionated driver who crits all. Whereas I am without criticism and am here to learn how to love my fellow humans more.
Report Spam   Logged
beaker
Senator

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 08:07:54 am »

Onions that don't make you cry, or fill you up with gas....  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!!
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 08:25:17 am »

It is definitely no a pickled one 
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
wgtngirl
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 08:44:36 am »

Like Beaker, I don't see why there can't be same-sex marriages.  We know that churches won't allow that because they are narrow-minded but there would be nothing wrong with marrying outside the church.

IMO, not allowing same-sex couple to marry (as opposed to civil unions) is discrimination.  Employers aren't allowed to discriminate against sexual orientation but same-sex couples still aren't allowed the same rights as heterosexuals.  After all transexuals can marry each other, why not same-sex couples.
Report Spam   Logged
beaker
Senator

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 01:56:18 pm »

Hear hear - well said Wgtn - I'd raise my glass to you if I were drinking  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 02:46:57 pm »

Won't be much longer Beaker
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 03:12:21 pm »

Probably because terming someone your "life partner" sounds a bit dorky.  Why we can't just allow same sex marriages - I'll never know.

Same sex marriages would limit the scope of civil unions Beaker.

I am a marriage celebrant who did not bother to register as a civil union celebrant.  For no reason other than the fact I still work full time and çan't keep up with reqwuests to do weddings, funerals ann naming ceremonies.

I do get a lot of requests from hetrosexuals who prefer civil unions, especially couples in the 40 - 60 age bracket. 

A Civil union enables them to have a tighter property, assest binding legal entitlement should one of them die.
Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 03:19:15 pm »

Probably because terming someone your "life partner" sounds a bit dorky.  Why we can't just allow same sex marriages - I'll never know.

That is why I was against the civil union bill. A civil union is marriage by another name so what is the point? It just seems to be a way to keep the right wing conservative religious types that object to same sex relationships happy. Waste of time, IMO let them get married and be done with it. I do have a problem with giving defacto couples the same rights as married couples. If all property becomes shared after 3 years why not say if you shack up together for 3 years you are married. From what I have seen the break ups after that time are no simpler than divorces but I know many people will not agree with me there.

Newt, a marriage ceremony does not have to be conducted in a church - nor does it need to be a religious affair.  So not wanting to go the church way doesn't preclude marriage for heterosexual couples.

Marriages have traditionally been able to take place on a ship, conducted by the captain and a variety of other places as allowed by the laws at the time. An anvil in a place called Gretna Green comes to mind. Various religions and cultures have marriage ceremonies and marriage existed long before Christianity.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 05:14:46 pm »

You will end up with more screwed in the heads kids if you allow marriage between same sexed people.
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 05:32:25 pm »

You will end up with more screwed in the heads kids if you allow marriage between same sexed people.

you have thousands of kids in relationships between male and females that are screwed in the head now ....

Report Spam   Logged
beaker
Senator

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 06:31:20 pm »

you have thousands of kids in relationships between male and females that are screwed in the head now ....

Never a truer comment made Newt, lol
Report Spam   Logged

Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 03:20:10 am »

This generation owes its screwed in the head attitude towards sex and marriage because of what the lesbian Clark and others of her ilk (is that the word ktj?) and gays of the previous Labour government did to trash family values.
Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 03:51:19 am »

Quote from: Newtown-Fella on February 22, 2009, 07:32:25 pm

Screwed in the head isnt the only place theyll get it, especially if theyre adopted by pedo's, and wh'os going to stop pedos teaming up in civil unions for that very purpose??? No-one!!!!
In fact theres a high possibility that somewhere under some dark rock pedos are involved in pushing for same sex civil unions.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:21:52 am by bumphead benny » Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 06:30:48 am »

The probem with that idea blod, is that families that allow another to have power over their family values were probaby gang associates anyway - and needed intervention.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: