Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 02:06:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Naked cyclist takes it to the High Court

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Naked cyclist takes it to the High Court  (Read 1714 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 17, 2010, 05:54:01 am »

Nick Lowe does not mean to cause offence, he just likes riding his bike in the nude.

So when a motorist called police after seeing the 40-year-old cycling naked one afternoon on Akatarawa Rd near Upper Hutt, he was shocked.

Lowe was convicted of offensive behaviour and slapped with a $200 fine, which he refused to pay. Yesterday he took his case to the High Court in Wellington in a bid to overturn his conviction.

"I couldn't believe it, it just wasn't right," Lowe told The Dominion Post. "It's a lifestyle thing – to put clothes on is uncomfortable. It's not about exhibitionism, I'm just uncomfortable in clothes."

His lawyer, Michael Bott, argued that riding naked on a rural road was not offensive, and Kiwis had become more tolerant toward nudity.

He pointed to events such as Boobs on Bikes, the Hero Parade, National Nude Day, Naked Wedding Day and a recent naked cycle on the Central Otago Rail Trail as proof that "we're not as puritan as we used to be".

Justice Denis Clifford reserved his decision. At one point he apologised after chuckling at a photograph of naked people in Christchurch's Cathedral Square.

Lowe, a builder from Johnsonville, describes himself as a "natural athlete". He completed last year's Coast to Coast naked from the waist down, and regularly trains in the buff.

He competed in last weekend's Coast to Coast but wore clothes to improve his time. He can run naked for about two hours before it gets too uncomfortable, but he uses "a lot more anti-chap cream than most".

"I walk around the house naked, I mow the lawns naked, I'll do the garden naked. A lot of smelly, sweaty clothes, why do that when you don't need to?"

He said nobody else had ever complained about his naked ventures, and that his ride on Akatarawa Rd last year coincided with World Nude Bike Day.

Mr Bott said Boobs on Bikes featured bare-breasted woman in G-strings riding down Auckland's main street, and was not deemed offensive behaviour.

But Crown prosecutor Michael Snape said the public was warned about that high-profile event and they did not have to see the nudity if they did not want to.

Lowe said he had no plans to curb his naked ambition. "It would be nice to know that on a stinking hot day, I could just go out and walk naked to Oriental Bay and go for a swim."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/3337561/Naked-cyclist-in-the-hot-seat-again

The laws as it stands in NZ states its ok to be naked, providing you are not being lewd or offensive.  Someone may well be offended by the nudity, but the nude person must be doing something with his doodle or dangly bits, making lewd comments or the like for it to be deemed lewd and offensive.  Personally I dont care how nude anyone is .. though I have always considered those around us.  Through this time of year we are naked from dawn to bed time.  I have to keep the curtains drawn on the sunny side of the house, mainly to keep the temps down inside the house, and that helps to shield the neighbours  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest49
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:33:54 am »

He obviously caused offence to someone - and I'd be offended too.

How old is this exhibitionist I wonder?
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:35:04 am »

40-year-old
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
guest49
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 07:42:13 am »

Ah!  I must've scanned over that about 3 times without seeing it!

All the more reason to keep his wrinkly exhibitionism inside his own place where no-one would give a s**t.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 07:58:01 am »

See thats where the whole thing falls down.

Real nudists arnt about exhibitionism or do it for others to look at, or give a shit.

There is nothing better than swimming in the raw, and nudism also saves water (keeps down the washing pile) & obviously power  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:29:57 am »

theres a time and place for nudism and i personally dont think riding a bike in public or strolling around town heading to Oriental Bay for a swim

if he wants nude bathing he can cycle [ clothed ] to Breaker Bay which is Wellingtons nude beach or even drive north to the kapiti Coast and upset the nimby's up there at the beaches where people go naked
Report Spam   Logged
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 08:35:03 am »

Brings a new meaning to 'wobbling along on a bike'.

Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:05:18 am »

I think I know what the problem might be and why there was a compliant.

Most cyclists I have seen stand up to pedal when going up hill or putting on a bit of extra shove into the pedals to get up speed. Some seem to hardle use the bicycle seat.

Now imaging you are the driver behind this naked cyclist..... Shocked stuck behind a mooning moving brown eye.

Lips sealed

eww...

Dude, put on a G-string. Please put on a G-string.

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:25 am »

LOL will a gstring make a diff?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 09:28:36 am »

If nakedness is offensive, then why aren't we born wearing clothes? 
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Magoo
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 09:34:03 am »

LOL will a gstring make a diff?  Grin
It would if he got sunburn on his dangly bits. Roll Eyes 
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 09:58:43 am »

That is never an issue  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 10:12:14 am »

If nakedness is offensive, then why aren't we born wearing clothes? 

What does that have to do with social mores?
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 10:17:06 am »

Its all about shame  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 10:30:25 am »

Its all about shame
Might be in your book but not in mine.      Don't want anybodies bare bum sitting on my furniture either. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 10:34:00 am »

LOL there are rules in nudism, one never puts ones bare bum on anything.  We carry bum towels for that purpose.
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 10:36:24 am »

We carry bum towels for that purpose.
Oh good... I have a much more convenient  solution and I don't have to carry anything.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 10:37:30 am »

Id rather see some people with their heads in sacks rather than their bodies
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 10:55:01 am »

If you haven't driven the Akatarawa Rd then you have no idea how narrow, windy, slip-prone, dangerous and NARROW that road is.  Even as you get closer to town, it's a crapshoot after the cemetery, and it's not the greatest before the cemetery either.

If the people who live and drive on that road had anything to say about his prosecution, I don't doubt they would have voted for reckless endangerment as being one of the charges.

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 11:46:21 am »

OMG  is that the road from Waikanae to Upper Hutt?

Been there done that and got laughed at by locals.

It was hard enough to negotiate in an L300 (damn near cooked the brakes) without any added distractions like tailing a nude guy on a bike.

Talk about nowhere else to go:

I think I know what the problem might be and why there was a compliant.

Most cyclists I have seen stand up to pedal when going up hill or putting on a bit of extra shove into the pedals to get up speed. Some seem to hardle use the bicycle seat.

Now imaging you are the driver behind this naked cyclist.....  stuck behind a mooning moving brown eye.

eww...

Dude, put on a G-string. Please put on a G-string.
or speedos. Speedos are good.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:51:09 am »

LOL the road must have deteriorated since my days in the Hutt, we used to use it for racing, a really fun race track that one.  Specially in a humber 80  Grin.

LOL I gotta laught at you lot suggesting clothing for the guy, hes a nudist!  Wearing speedos or a g string defeats the purpose, the fun & the freedom!  
Report Spam   Logged

Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 11:51:29 am »

There used to be guy who walked naked up the road outside work wheeling a wheelbarrow.
He had a nice body but also had a cooked brain. 
haven't sen him about for a while must be too cold.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
ssweetpea

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 11:54:16 am »

LOL the road must have deteriorated since my days in the Hutt, we used to use it for racing, a really fun race track that one.  Specially in a humber 80  Grin.

LOL I gotta laught at you lot suggesting clothing for the guy, hes a nudist!  Wearing speedos or a g string defeats the purpose, the fun & the freedom!  

But improves the view from behind no end.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 11:57:13 am »

lol yeh well, I guess so, for textiles.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 12:15:47 pm »

Deteriorated?  Are you insane?  It never was a decent road and it hasn't been upgraded.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: